View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Means and Ends (Joshua Cohen & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhatharry View Post
Right, regulation by a wise and unbiased class of rulers which has absolute knowledge of human nature and the way to ameliorate harm caused by humans. Too bad this doesn't exist.
I feel the same way about any ideology, including libertarianism. Ideologists don't care what happens to you or me or anybody because all they care about is some notion of a future state that they think would be so much better. It might be better for people just like them, but they never think of anybody else.

That's why I like Obama. I don't find him particularly ideological. He just seems to be trying to be pragmatic, to use his position in whatever way seems to make sense, and also, of course, with a consideration of what it might take to get himself elected again. But that's more or less the same as understanding he has to serve the people. He just has to think more about the fact that we don't mob rule, i.e. catering to whatever the polls say.

I know that's contradictory, but that's why I'm not a politician. I suppose it's about balance. Maybe he'll do better if he gets elected again.

Last edited by Diane1976; 01-04-2012 at 12:29 AM..