View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Live from CPAC, It's the Week in Blog!

Excellent blog. I thought that Bill Scher was obviously gloating much of the time, but so what -- as a lib he had reason to gloat. These are dark times for Republicans. At best, Republicans are going to be lectured to by John McCain as how he is really one of them (and they ought to recognize it, dammit!)-- as he does leftist things to broaden his appeal. He is Bob Dole without the jokes, and we all know how that turned out. "Where's the outrage?" indeed. But I do not think that he can beat either Hillary or (probably) Obama. He has already said that Hillary will make a fine President, and she voted for the war too, so what is he exactly going to do? He can argue that she has changed her mind about the war, but I doubt that anyone -- even the most hawkish conservative -- is going to be moved to vote for McCain for that reason. No one is FOR the war or 100 years in Iraq. We all just have different ideas about how bad the end of the war has to be. I suspect that at the first debate, Obama -- slim, elegant, graceful, a black JFK -- will just have to stand on the same stage with a short, irritable, balding, crotchety John McCain, and the election will be over. When Obama becomes President, we just have to hope that he is not as "transformational" as I think he might be. He might be the beginning of a Democratic generation in power.