View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Live from CPAC, It's the Week in Blog!

http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/865...9&out=00:13:22

Please explain this further, Conn. Are you saying that a belief in free markets requires one not to believe in negative externalities -- a part of standard economics since the beginning? In other words, if free markets can't solve global warming all on their own (without SOME kind of gov't intervention), then of course, global warming must not exist? "Pay no attention to the calamity behind the curtain!"
Or is it that conservatives feel we should let markets be free though the heavens fall?
Or is there some OTHER kind of government intervention than cap and trade that would please conservatives? If there is, I haven't heard it. I'm afraid CPAC-ers actually believe in one of my first two options.

I'd also like to understand why telecom immunity is some kind of deep conservative principle. I can see why Big Business is on the side of telecom immunity, but if Conservatism stands for something principled, not just the interests of giant corporations, why is telecom immunity so essential?
How does this sit with the distrust of government interventions in campaign finance and the economy? Here we have a back-door approach for the government to get away with far more spying on American citizens without their having any idea what was going on. I don't see how McCain/Feingold is a bigger blow to liberty than THAT.

I'm afraid Conn really has drunk the Heritage Kool-Aid. The thing about Lieberman and the "Gang of Fourteen" was just and comical. Bill Scher's flabbergasted reaction -- "what do you mean? you guys won that one!" -- could stand for just about any sane person's reaction. Even what's left of the old journalist Conn seems to take over Pod-Conn long enough to admit this: "Hey what can I say. We're a demanding bunch."

Maybe Conn will recover a bit when he leaves the peculiar atmosphere of CPAC. I hope so.