View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 12:19 AM

Default Re: World Historic Edition (Mark Schmitt & Daniel Foster)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceelf View Post
Actually I started by simply saying that every candidate has people who support them who are also nuts.
No one denies that. What got me to interject was the suggestion of a parallel.

Quote:
But I went on to predict that the nominee would get a similar proportion of nutty supporters as Obama had.
I predict not. Not just because the extremism of Obama supporters is historically unparalleled (It was), but also because Republicans really don't do that. The only thing that even comes close, in my mind, was the Goldwater stuff. Republicans lionize Reagan now, sure. But it was a matter of politics when he was actually running.

Other than that, no. There were no cults of Nixon, or GW Bush, or GHW Bush, or Ford, or Eisenhower, or Hoover, or Coolidge, or Harding, or Taft. Goldwater had a pretty hard core following, mostly because he was the first Conservative to run for the Presidency in about forty years. Due to the reserved nature of the age, it had nothing of the Obama cult flavor about it.

Democrats, on the other hand, do have a habit of this "Savior" business. Obama, obviously, I think even you found those videos awkward to watch. But the Kennedy's are another example of this over-emotional political impulse. Bobby Kennedy in particular was deserving of none of the Christ-like status he was being given; he was, in point of fact, a bit of a prick.

Also Roosevelt. AKA, "President-for-life".