View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Republicans Candidates Should Ask ... What Would A Canadian Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceelf View Post
Do you have thoughts about the dramatic genetic differences between Cubans and Puerto Ricans that must underly the chart?
I wouldn't want to speculate. I imagine there are a large number of factors. Some of which certainly are genetic, since island living seems to accentuate some of these issues. For example, in Trinidad and Tobago, there is a VERY elevated risk of prostate cancer among the male population there. It is even higher than the risk for black Americans, here:

Prostate cancer is a very serious personal and public health problem affecting African Americans more frequently than Caucasians. On the basis of 19901997 data from the U.S. SEER4 of the National Cancer Institute (1) , age-adjusted incidence of prostate cancer is 225 of 100,000 among African Americans compared with 149 of 100,000 among white non-Hispanics. The mortality rate from prostate cancer was >2-fold higher among persons of African descent (54 of 100,000) compared with white non-Hispanics (23 of 100,000). Incidence of prostate cancer in the United States increased dramatically in both groups between the late 1980s and 1993, reflecting the earlier diagnosis that occurred with the increasing use of serum PSA screening (1) .

http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/11/8/726.long

Prostate cancer is the leading cause of cancer related death in Tobago. Now, why is that? It seems plausible to me that if people of African decent have a higher susceptibility to it, and a place like Tobago is settled with people with an above average set of markers for it, then after enough time, the population will skew.

Of course, I think environmental factors also play a role. Islands are strange tide pools for genetic drift.

So what do you think is the reason for the disparity between infant mortality between blacks and Mexicans? You wouldn't argue poverty in that case, would you?