View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 01:38 AM

Default Re: Black History Edition (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Hey Eeli, very well said. Great post.

Full admission: when I was younger I hung out with a lot of people like the ones you mentioned. And I even uttered some things and held some views that I would not be proud of today. I loved a good edgy joke (still do) and thought "well it's just words, it's not how I really feel so whoever is offended is just missing the point or trying to censor!!1! me etc." until someone I greatly respected pointed out that all the listener has to go on are my words, so of course they may jump to the conclusion that I was racist if I was saying things that were borderline. Furthermore, maybe it was time to ask whether or not I was? It was one of those life-changing moments of self-reflection and inquisition, and I decided that I didn't want to be that way anymore. It didn't jive with the kind of person I wanted to be. After that, I was amazed at how much of that sort of gray-area subtle racism I would hear all the time from people that I would not categorize as racist. Most people in that camp (as you described) do an amazing job of insulating themselves and avoid ever having to ask that same question of themselves.