View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 06:42 PM

Default Re: SOPA, Keystone XL and NDAA

Here's a building science guru I've been reading, and he says the oil / car problem is pretty much solved (see quote and link below). The real problem arises when the cars and trucks are using the same fuels we also use to heat and cool houses and buildings. Hence the need for way better building science. Turns out conventional wisdom and design in this area has been severely off base.

*Link*
Quote:
Here’s the way I see it. The first thing you have to understand is that energy security is first and foremost a car-truck-transportation problem that—as it gets solved—will change the rest of the economy—for the better I might add. In fact we have already solved the transportation problem although most folks don’t appreciate it. The good news is that the Government didn’t do it and couldn’t do it. The bad news is that Government might yet still screw it up. I want the marketplace and innovation to sort it out. The only thing we need from government is a modicum of environmental protection so we don’t pee in our collective planetary bed while this gets sorted out. I think we can count on that—the environmentalist’s heads would otherwise explode run the vehicle using juice we get from the grid rather than juice we get from the gasoline. As we transition current hybrid vehicles from nickel hydride to lithium ion battery technology we are going to be able to plug-in the vehicle and get 50 to 75 miles between charges. This is a big deal because this is the distance of the average commute. And we don’t have to worry about running out of battery power because we still have the gasoline there to take over when we run the battery down.

Last edited by handle; 01-24-2012 at 07:37 PM..