View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 08:59 PM

Default Re: Dollars for Donuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cragger View Post
Mr. Noah's case for getting rid of $100 bills seems a little ... bizzare. If he wants to push for elimination of all cash so that the government can monitor and control every financial transaction then he should make that argument. Claiming that $100 is such a large amount of money these days that there is no legitimate reason for such a denomination to exist indicates a disconnect from the real world. People regularly pay half that much or more to fill their gas tanks. Are two fifties really OK if a C-note is bad? Should we go to only ones, and bring a wheelbarrow full to the store to buy groceries as in the worst days of the Wiemar Republic? Maybe it's just me, but the prospect doesn't make me think I would sleep any better at night.
"I'll bet you dollars to donuts" used to be an effective phrase because of the large disparity between the value of an donut and a dollar. This is no longer the case. The last time I was in a Dunkin' Donuts store, you needed 89 cents to buy a single donut. This has the sad effect of destroying the meaning of a nice idiom of the English language. And the more important point is that currency deflates in value as the years go by. The huge deficit we are running up now almost mandates significant inflation in the future. You may NEED C-notes to take the family out for donuts and coffee in a few years.

Last edited by Simon Willard; 12-23-2010 at 09:38 PM..