Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   Diavlog comments (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The Week in Blog: Heating Up (Bill Scher & Kristen Soltis) (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=6907)

Bloggingheads 07-22-2011 12:39 PM

The Week in Blog: Heating Up (Bill Scher & Kristen Soltis)

Hume's Bastard 07-22-2011 06:04 PM

We Feel the Same Way!

Bill Scher needs to remember that the camera is recording: Is Bill dropping off and grimacing because of all that talk of numbers, or Soltis' windy, winding monologue?

Kristen Soltis 07-22-2011 06:57 PM

Re: We Feel the Same Way!

Probably because of the monologue. I don't blame him. Upon reflection, I'm not sure how I managed to get any oxygen.

thprop 07-22-2011 09:43 PM

Kennedy's Health Issues

I don't think Michele Bachmann is qualified to be president in any case. All that aside, the subject of debilitating migraine headaches is NOT a personal issue between her and her doctor. If it could possibly interfere with her performance in office, it is fair game for discussion.

The case to look to is John F. Kennedy. I think Bill said JFK's health problems did not affect his performance. Wrong. They had a major impact on the national security of the United States. I agree with Tom Ricks assessment that Kennedy was the worst president of the 20th Century. Maybe he was not the worst, but he has by far the biggest gap between perception and reality.

How does his health come into play? The Vienna Summit with Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev on June 4, 1961. Khrushchev came away with the impression that Kennedy was a lightweight that he could push around. Which led to the Cuban Missile crisis. Why did Khrushchev have this impression - because Kennedy was high as a kite:
Quote:

Part of the reason for Kennedy’s rather poor performance may have been the combination of drugs he was taking for back pain and other ailments. Following the prescriptions of Max Jacobson (informally known as ‘Dr. Feelgood’), Kennedy was injecting himself with a drug cocktail that included hormones, steroids, animal organ cells, vitamins, enzymes, and amphetamines. Among the possible side effects were hyperactivity, nervousness, impaired judgment, and wild mood swings.

Bill Scher 07-22-2011 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hume's Bastard (Post 217907)
Bill Scher needs to remember that the camera is recording: Is Bill dropping off and grimacing because of all that talk of numbers, or Soltis' windy, winding monologue?

1. I highly doubt anyone cares, but the truth is I am hunched over slightly trying to keep my head in the frame, and it's a little uncomfortable.

2. I'm pretty sure I bring about five windy, winding monologues to TWIB each week.

Simon Willard 07-22-2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Scher (Post 217933)
1. I highly doubt anyone cares, but the truth is I am hunched over slightly trying to keep my head in the frame, and it's a little uncomfortable.

Point the camera up, Bill.

AemJeff 07-22-2011 10:44 PM

Re: The Week in Blog: Heating Up (Bill Scher & Kristen Soltis)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristen Soltis (Post 217913)
Probably because of the monologue. I don't blame him. Upon reflection, I'm not sure how I managed to get any oxygen.

Quote:

2. I'm pretty sure I bring about five windy, winding monologues to TWIB each week.

I'll say this: you two are a pretty genial pairing!

badhatharry 07-22-2011 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AemJeff (Post 217943)
I'll say this: you two are a pretty genial pairing!

hear, hear! They're both adorable.
But this 'pairing' thing...it puts me in mind of food and wine, not people.

Bill Scher 07-23-2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Willard (Post 217934)
Point the camera up, Bill.

But sometimes when you point the camera up too much, the background looks oddly slanted. I'm trying to put aesthetics over personal comfort!

miceelf 07-23-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Scher (Post 218013)
But sometimes when you point the camera up too much, the background looks oddly slanted. I'm trying to put aesthetics over personal comfort!

That's why it's always best to do diavlogs while in downward dog.

:-)

Hume's Bastard 07-23-2011 08:00 PM

Re: Kennedy's Health Issues

I'm not extolling President Kennedy. Yet, Krushchev's misreading is the sort of thing that doesn't require drugs. And, it also plays into the cult of personality, albeit the flip side. Watching "Thirteen Days" or reading Graham Allison's famous article is enough to correct the perception, that presidents act alone. As the figurehead of a nation whose decision - with advice from others - it is to select advisers and deal with careerists and the other branches, a president like Bachmann would do irreparable harm to the nation's image.

Hume's Bastard 07-23-2011 08:04 PM

It's a herculean task to make number-crunching interesting. I think details are the wrong way to go. I forget what pundit said it, but I agree budgets are moral documents.

Hume's Bastard 07-23-2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Long-winded isn't the issue; it's whether you bring the fire. I accept this feature for what it is, and I applaud both you and Soltis for bringing a lot of references. I just like a little more back-and-forth, civil yet spirited. It's a tall order but bhtv has provided it in the past. I particularly like my lefties tough.

For the record, though, I think Ezra Klein does the most competent job with the numbers.

Starwatcher162536 07-24-2011 10:54 AM

Bill's statement that the subjects who were accused of impropriety during the climategate scandal were cleared of wrongdoing makes it sound like perhaps there was ever doubt they would be. Bill's statement doesn't do justice to just how vapid the majority of the accusations were. That several commissions were convened to investigate these accusations instead of ignoring or mocking those making them shows the power of the Faux News alternative universe.

jimM47 07-25-2011 11:53 PM

But the Only-Bill-Scher-Has-This camera angle you normally use is part of the distinctive evolved aesthetic of TWiB!