Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   Life, the Universe and Everything (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Breaking: apparently, Bin Laden is dead (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=6692)

bjkeefe 05-02-2011 12:04 AM

Breaking: apparently, Bin Laden is dead

President Obama is supposed to speak from the White House shortly. Might want to turn on a teevee, if you have one nearby. Or surf over to your favorite news site.

(h/t: Twin)

handle 05-02-2011 12:08 AM

Re: Breaking: apparently, Bin Laden is dead

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 206693)
President Obama is supposed to speak from the White House shortly. Might want to turn on a teevee, if you have one nearby. Or surf over to your favorite news site.

Here comes the "Obama had nothing to do with it" in 5 4 3......

bjkeefe 05-02-2011 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handle (Post 206694)
Here comes the "Obama had nothing to do with it" in 5 4 3......

Oh, totally. Wingnut spin on this is truly going to be something to behold.

operative 05-02-2011 12:08 AM

Quote:

Or pretty much any news site. A bit of good news.

handle 05-02-2011 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 206695)
Oh, totally. Wingnut spin on this is truly going to be something to behold.

Awesome news, though. 'bout time!

bjkeefe 05-02-2011 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handle (Post 206697)
Awesome news, though. 'bout time!

It's a nice bit of symbolism, I suppose. It's undercut by it having taken a decade, and much more importantly, that we couldn't capture him alive and put his sorry ass on trial.

This is not to take away anything from those who did finally hunt him down, though. Full kudos to them.

chiwhisoxx 05-02-2011 12:19 AM

News is and has been fairly fluid on twitter, but there's some pretty heavy buzz now that he was killed an a mansion outside Islamabad. So assuming this might raise some questions about the Pakistani government...

operative 05-02-2011 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx (Post 206700)
News is and has been fairly fluid on twitter, but there's some pretty heavy buzz now that he was killed an a mansion outside Islamabad. So assuming this might raise some questions about the Pakistani government...

Yeah, it'd certainly cause some questions about the notion that Bin Laden was hiding out in caves in the rugged border region.

handle 05-02-2011 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx (Post 206700)

Just heard pak intel assisted.

chiwhisoxx 05-02-2011 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handle (Post 206702)

Just read that too. Maybe they baited him with the lure of a nice mansion with a jacuzzi and a billiards table?

AemJeff 05-02-2011 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handle (Post 206702)

That's how I'm hearing it.

operative 05-02-2011 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx (Post 206703)
Just read that too. Maybe they baited him with the lure of a nice mansion with a jacuzzi and a billiards table?

Now that's an epic punk'd.

handle 05-02-2011 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 206705)
Now that's an epic punk'd.

To catch a predator.

AemJeff 05-02-2011 12:29 AM

Sorry to go all political so soon; but it's hard not to want to savor the irony. Today is the eighth anniversary of "Mission Accomplished!"

TwinSwords 05-02-2011 12:30 AM

Quote:

Three cheers for US forces and the Commander in Chief.

operative 05-02-2011 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handle (Post 206706)
To catch a predator.

*Bin Laden enters room*
*Cue Chris Hansen*
Chris Hansen: Not what you were expecting?
Bin Laden's jaw dropped.
Chris Hansen: Usually I would turn you over to the police...but not this time.
*Chris Hansen pulls out gun and shoots Bin Laden*

Next time on Dateline: To Catch a Terrorist, Chris Hansen kills Omar al Bashir.

handle 05-02-2011 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinSwords (Post 206708)

Hip hip...

handle 05-02-2011 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 206709)
*Bin Laden enters room*
*Cue Chris Hansen*
Chris Hansen: Not what you were expecting?
Bin Laden's jaw dropped.
Chris Hansen: Usually I would turn you over to the police...but not this time.
*Chris Hansen pulls out gun and shoots Bin Laden*

Next time on Dateline: To Catch a Terrorist, Chris Hansen kills Omar al Bashir.

Lol! But don't ya have to offer him sweet tea first while you put in the laundry?

bjkeefe 05-02-2011 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AemJeff (Post 206707)
Sorry to go all political so soon; but it's hard not to want to savor the irony. Today is the eighth anniversary of "Mission Accomplished!"

Now THAT will cause wingnut fury for sure. I can hear it now: OBAMAR DELAYED THE ANNOUNCEMENT FOR A WEEK JUST TO GIVE BUSH A SLAP IN THE FACE.

bjkeefe 05-02-2011 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinSwords (Post 206708)

And thanks to you for giving us the heads-up so we could catch the announcement live.

uncle ebeneezer 05-02-2011 12:59 AM

Is Trump taking credit yet, or waiting until he sees the long form death certificate for himself? ;)

Great news. Kudos to all the people who no doubt busted their asses for 9 years to make it happen.

bjkeefe 05-02-2011 01:04 AM

As I'm sure everyone knows by now, the chyron on every TV screen is saying something along the lines of "bin Laden's body is in US custody."

Try to imagine the diplomatic complications that will unwind from here on out, concerning the disposal of that body.

AemJeff 05-02-2011 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle ebeneezer (Post 206715)
Is Trump taking credit yet, or waiting until he sees the long form death certificate for himself? ;)

Great news. Kudos to all the people who no doubt busted their asses for 9 years to make it happen.

Nah, but he is making frowny faces cuz peoples was mean to him. Luckily our own intrepis Denville Steve is on the case!

AemJeff 05-02-2011 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 206716)
As I'm sure everyone knows by now, the chyron on every TV screen is saying something along the lines of "bin Laden's body is in US custody."

Try to imagine the diplomatic complications that will unwind from here on out, concerning the disposal of that body.

I'm betting they believe they have need to show the body. There was a similar issue, as I recall, when Saddam was killed.

operative 05-02-2011 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AemJeff (Post 206718)
I'm betting they believe they have need to show the body. There was a similar issue, as I recall, when Saddam was killed.

When Saddam's sons were killed, pictures of their bodies were made public in an effort to encourage the Iraqi people to unite in opposition to Saddam, knowing that he was really going to be out of power for good. I don't know if there will be any comparably compelling cause to show Bin Laden's body. Personally I have no interest in seeing it and I don't quite understand why anyone would want to do so. He's dead, good riddance, end of story for him.

bjkeefe 05-02-2011 01:20 AM

Quote:

I'm sure some people are wondering about that. The thought sure popped into my mind a while ago.

bjkeefe 05-02-2011 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle ebeneezer (Post 206715)

Here is a screengrab of a tweet, courtesy of Jack Stuef's great liveblog:

http://wonkette.com/wp-content/uploa...1/05/trump.png

bjkeefe 05-02-2011 01:41 AM

Quote:

Just one tweet, but given that I only follow ~190 people, it's probably not that rare a sentiment:

Quote:

dangerroom 'I'll wait for the Mujahideen to confirm this & will not believe until I see a pic of his dead body" - online jihadi http://wrd.tw/jn4O9d
(expanded link) <-- that's by B'head Spencer Ackerman, btw.

bjkeefe 05-02-2011 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 206721)

Also: "Memo to Trump."

handle 05-02-2011 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 206722)
Just one tweet, but given that I only follow ~190 people, it's probably not that rare a sentiment:
(expanded link) <-- that's by B'head Spencer Ackerman, btw.

Hey, gotta make sure it's not andy dick in a santa suit.

I thought the speech was great, here's what happened, short and sweet.
Too bad he aint an american, that was pretty good stuff.

He should have plugged his youtube standup at the end though... live from the white house, I'll be here all week, and then probably a lot longer than some of you were hoping.

bjkeefe 05-02-2011 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handle (Post 206724)
[...]

I thought the speech was great, here's what happened, short and sweet.
[...]

Agreed.

LOL @ the rest.

handle 05-02-2011 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 206723)
Also: "Memo to Trump."

Paaaaathetic!! This just might be a little bigger than Trump's crappy little show.

rfrobison 05-02-2011 02:25 AM

Best news I've heard in months. Hats off to the president, the intel people and the (I'm assuming) special forces who got him.

JonIrenicus 05-02-2011 02:27 AM

I find this news incredibly cathartic.

Congratulations to the Seals, the president, all involved.

chiwhisoxx 05-02-2011 02:28 AM

So long as we're politicizing this, CNN is now reporting that detainees from gitmo provided intelligence that led to ascertaining OBL's whereabouts.

bjkeefe 05-02-2011 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfrobison (Post 206727)
Best news I've heard in months. Hats off to the president, the intel people and the (I'm assuming) special forces who got him.

It does seem to have been a special forces mission. Marc Ambinder's 140 char summary:

Quote:

To summarize: 40 minute JSOC raid; two helos, one drone; 4 KIA, inc OBL; DevGru (Seal Team Six) did shooting; only cas was US helocopter
From other sources (e.g.), the one helicopter was forced to land due to mechanical failure. No one hurt, craft later destroyed by US forces on site.

bjkeefe 05-02-2011 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonIrenicus (Post 206728)
I find this news incredibly cathartic.

I know exactly what you mean. Despite my earlier instinct to wave it off, the more I sit here, soaking in the moment, with the teevee on in the background (a rarity for me) while hopping around the Web ... yeah. Cathartic is spot-on.

Quote:

Congratulations to the Seals, the president, all involved.
Indeed.

handle 05-02-2011 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx (Post 206729)
So long as we're politicizing this, CNN is now reporting that detainees from gitmo provided intelligence that led to ascertaining OBL's whereabouts.

Yeah and the investigation has been ongoing for many years, the real politics of this are: this is the best news for the free world in a long time.

Don Zeko 05-02-2011 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx (Post 206729)

I'm not seeing anything to that effect on other outlets, so I wonder if it will be confirmed as more detailed accounts of the operation eventually become public. And so long as we're politicizing this, I think that the intelligence would have to have been produced via torture for it to be something that Conservatives can rightly make hay out of. It's not like any more than a tiny fringe of liberals have a problem with capturing and interrogating suspected terrorists.

bjkeefe 05-02-2011 02:45 AM

Interesting wrinkle close to home: @MahaRafiAtal, better known around these parts as PreppyMcPrepperson, tweeted a while back:

Quote:

.@reallyvirtual appears to have liveblogged the raid w/o knowing it. go read.
Ambinder, about forty minutes later:

Quote:

This is true -- read the stream! RT @ReallyVirtual: Uh oh, now I'm the guy who liveblogged the Osama raid without knowing it.