Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   Apollo diavlog comments (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=4064)

TwinSwords 02-09-2010 02:18 PM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ledocs (Post 149929)
[Could someone explain to me how to insure that one's post goes into the correct place in the Threaded display mode?

Sure. Just make sure you click the Reply button or the Quote button on the post to which you are replying; this will ensure that the reply is properly "attached" to the post you're replying to if displayed in the Threaded or Hybrid view. It will have no bearing, though, on where the post is listed in the linear view. The linear view is strictly chronological: posts are listed in the order they were posted. The only way a problem will surface is if you click the Reply or Quote button for a post other than the one you are replying to, and then the problem will only manifest when you view the thread in Threaded or Hybrid mode.

Starwatcher162536 02-11-2010 06:07 PM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Not an area I am erudite in, so I doubt I would be a good partner, but I hope you find one. Sounds like it would be an interesting diavlog.

Don Zeko 02-12-2010 12:22 PM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starwatcher162536 (Post 150581)
Sounds like it would be an interesting diavlog.

i agree, that's why I'm disappointed that I haven't found any potential partners yet. Is there anybody that agrees with me on the basic premise, but would like to talk specifics, or better yet, discuss how to get these reforms to happen?

look 02-12-2010 09:03 PM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Zeko (Post 150632)
i agree, that's why I'm disappointed that I haven't found any potential partners yet. Is there anybody that agrees with me on the basic premise, but would like to talk specifics, or better yet, discuss how to get these reforms to happen?

Perhaps you could invite Professor Althouse. She's a constitutional lawyer who might be interested.

Don Zeko 02-13-2010 02:32 AM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 150717)
Perhaps you could invite Professor Althouse. She's a constitutional lawyer who might be interested.

Oh god.

PreppyMcPrepperson 02-13-2010 03:16 AM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Zeko (Post 150752)
Oh god.

Actually, Look, raises an interesting point. There are many on these boards who are critical of the Apollo/FrontPage divide. Yet, it's also the case that having set up BHTV specifically as a site that would be curated, it doesn't fit Bob's model to simply turn all us lowlifes into front-pagers tomorrow. Perhaps there's a mechanism by which Apollonians could challenge, offline, someone who's already on the front page and if they accept, then the Apollonian is permanently 'promoted.' It would have to be BHTV administered because some of the 'heads probably wouldn't respond to messages from us otherwise.

look 02-13-2010 10:18 AM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Zeko (Post 150752)
Oh god.

Oh no you dih-eh.

AemJeff 02-13-2010 10:37 AM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PreppyMcPrepperson (Post 150754)
Actually, Look, raises an interesting point. There are many on these boards who are critical of the Apollo/FrontPage divide. Yet, it's also the case that having set up BHTV specifically as a site that would be curated, it doesn't fit Bob's model to simply turn all us lowlifes into front-pagers tomorrow. Perhaps there's a mechanism by which Apollonians could challenge, offline, someone who's already on the front page and if they accept, then the Apollonian is permanently 'promoted.' It would have to be BHTV administered because some of the 'heads probably wouldn't respond to messages from us otherwise.

Possibly, but the suggestion was pure flame-bait.

graz 02-13-2010 10:43 AM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PreppyMcPrepperson (Post 150754)
Actually, Look, raises an interesting point. There are many on these boards who are critical of the Apollo/FrontPage divide. Yet, it's also the case that having set up BHTV specifically as a site that would be curated, it doesn't fit Bob's model to simply turn all us lowlifes into front-pagers tomorrow. Perhaps there's a mechanism by which Apollonians could challenge, offline, someone who's already on the front page and if they accept, then the Apollonian is permanently 'promoted.' It would have to be BHTV administered because some of the 'heads probably wouldn't respond to messages from us otherwise.

Nice stab at career promotion. Have you petitioned Bob for front page status? You assume that some grand design is preventing a crossing-over from Apollo to what? What can you do on the front page that hasn't already been in evidence through Apollo?

Your jest about lowlife status undermines your valued efforts thus far. Why don't you and Don Zeko match up for a discussion?

nikkibong 02-13-2010 11:11 AM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 150771)
What can you do on the front page that hasn't already been in evidence through Apollo?

Well, she could speak in technicolor (!) instead of weird and vaguely unpleasant acid trip coloration.

Plus, she'd have a bigger audience, which I'm sure you'll agree counts for something. And the second class status is kind of lame and demeaning...

Incidentally, what qualifications does Alyssa Rosenberg (first string, what??) have that Preppy doesn't?

Addendum: I already know how you are going to interpret this comment, graz.

Ocean 02-13-2010 11:19 AM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikkibong (Post 150777)
Addendum: I already know how you are going to interpret this comment, graz.

:)

AemJeff 02-13-2010 11:22 AM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikkibong (Post 150777)
Well, she could speak in technicolor (!) instead of weird and vaguely unpleasant acid trip coloration.

Plus, she'd have a bigger audience, which I'm sure you'll agree counts for something. And the second class status is kind of lame and demeaning...

Incidentally, what qualifications does Alyssa Rosenberg (first string, what??) have that Preppy doesn't?

Addendum: I already know how you are going to interpret this comment, graz.

You know (as does Preppy) as well as I do that it has little or nothing to do with your personal qualifications, and nearly everything to do with how you get the microphone (as it were.) There's a channel defined for getting onto the Apollo page (ask, or be invited by someone who has asked), and a completely different one for the main page (be invited by bookers at BhTV.)

nikkibong 02-13-2010 11:25 AM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AemJeff (Post 150782)
You know (as does Preppy) as well as I do that it has little or nothing to do with your personal qualifications, and nearly everything to do with how you get the microphone (as it were.) There's a channel defined for getting onto the Apollo pagew (ask, or be invited by someone who has asked), and a completely different one for the main page (be invited by bookers at BhTV.)

What the hell? Of course it has to do with personal qualifications: only people who are "qualified" (thought to be sufficiently prominent) are booked. My point was that it's a strangely applied standard...at times, seemingly arbitrary.

I'm not sure what point you think you're making...or how it is a contradiction of what I said.

AemJeff 02-13-2010 11:32 AM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikkibong (Post 150784)
What the hell? Of course it has to do with personal qualifications: only people who are "qualified" (thought to be sufficiently prominent) are booked. My point was that it's a strangely applied standard...at times, seemingly arbitrary.

I think you've missed my point. It's not sufficient to be qualified - the number of qualified people is obviously far greater than the available slots. The way it's done is just what I said, previously. It's possible that petitioning here might help - I have no special knowledge about that. I think that seems unlikely; and I suspect that you do, too.

graz 02-13-2010 11:33 AM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikkibong (Post 150777)

Addendum: I already know how you are going to interpret this comment, graz.

Mind reader! :)

Same question to you: Have you petitioned Bob directly? You've made the same point a number of times. We all are aware that the apparent qualifications for front page status is a pulse... only assumed after viewing certain egregious examples of fail. We also know that you, have good reason to believe, that you are as qualified as many of the DV'ers, especially in your estimation. All that's been proven is that life's not fair and bhtv isn't perfect.

graz 02-13-2010 11:35 AM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean (Post 150781)
:)

Thanks mother hen.

nikkibong 02-13-2010 11:40 AM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 150786)
Mind reader! :)

Same question to you: Have you petitioned Bob directly? You've made the same point a number of times. We all are aware that the apparent qualifications for front page status is a pulse... only assumed after viewing certain egregious examples of fail. We also know that you, have good reason to believe, that you are as qualified as many of the DV'ers, especially in your estimation. All that's been proven is that life's not fair and bhtv isn't perfect.

lol.

no, no, i haven't petitioned anyone. honestly, i don't care all that much. i'm actually bothered more by the fact that people who are blatantly unqualified make it to the first string. it's not my snubbing so much as their undeserved "fame..."

also, alyssa rosenberg really annoys me. i sense a new sullivan coming on. what is it with the atlantic? (i cancelled my subscription) i also had a contretemps via email with her where she was rude as hell ... but that is another story.

Ocean 02-13-2010 11:48 AM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 150787)
Thanks mother hen.

http://twenty4karat.files.wordpress....n-posters1.jpg

graz 02-13-2010 11:49 AM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
I love you man!

Quote:

i'm actually bothered more by the fact that people who are blatantly unqualified make it to the first string. it's not my snubbing so much as their undeserved "fame..."
How might doctor Ocean interpret that one? :)

I think your gripe is shared by some. There is no feedback loop for criticism of the booking arrangement. We are resigned to taking what's offered. For better or worse.

graz 02-13-2010 11:52 AM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean (Post 150790)

It's a noble and rewarding calling:
Ain't nobody here 'cept us chickens.

Ocean 02-13-2010 12:04 PM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 150792)
It's a noble and rewarding calling:
Ain't nobody here 'cept us chickens.

Quote:

A good cockerel enjoys droit de seigneur (frequently) but is a fierce and brave protector of the flock, putting himself between the threat and the hens, defending to the death if necessary. When tasty food is served he waits courteously for the hens to have their fill. A diffident cockerel is cold-shouldered by the hens.
LOL! Listen to that wisdom!

Ocean 02-13-2010 12:07 PM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 150791)
How might doctor Ocean interpret that one? :)

Doctor Ocean will not.

Starwatcher162536 02-13-2010 12:18 PM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Considering the level of hackery we get sometimes, have you ever stopped and considered that maybe it is the Apollo section that is really the elitist quality controlled area?

bjkeefe 02-13-2010 12:22 PM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean (Post 150790)

Egg-cellent.

Ocean 02-13-2010 12:49 PM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 150799)
Egg-cellent.

Thanks. It isn't my most recent picture though. ;)

Wonderment 02-13-2010 03:05 PM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

There is no feedback loop for criticism of the booking arrangement. We are resigned to taking what's offered. For better or worse.
Yes, there is. You might consider the "view" data and the number of comments generated.

That's how we vote: We watch, we comment (or decline to do either).

If you have a Mickey/Bob chat that generates 5,000 views or a Hitchens appearance that generates 19,000, while UN Plaza gets 50 hits, that's pretty much all the feedback Bob needs. (To Bob's great credit, however, he hasn't pulled the plug on UN Plaza, in spite of bad ratings).

graz 02-13-2010 05:50 PM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonderment (Post 150813)
Yes, there is. You might consider the "view" data and the number of comments generated.

That's how we vote: We watch, we comment (or decline to do either).

If you have a Mickey/Bob chat that generates 5,000 views or a Hitchens appearance that generates 19,000, while UN Plaza gets 50 hits, that's pretty much all the feedback Bob needs. (To Bob's great credit, however, he hasn't pulled the plug on UN Plaza, in spite of bad ratings).

Your point is well taken, consider me standing corrected. Why is it all about Bob... what about my needs?

look 02-13-2010 06:25 PM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 150837)
Your point is well taken, consider me standing corrected. Why is it all about Bob... what about my needs?

To hell with your needs, you busker abuser. What about myyyyy neeeeeds?

PreppyMcPrepperson 02-14-2010 06:11 AM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 150771)
Nice stab at career promotion. Have you petitioned Bob for front page status? You assume that some grand design is preventing a crossing-over from Apollo to what? What can you do on the front page that hasn't already been in evidence through Apollo?

Your jest about lowlife status undermines your valued efforts thus far. Why don't you and Don Zeko match up for a discussion?

I haven't petitioned Bob. I don't harbor any delusions that I'm the career equivalent of the folks on the front page. Yes, as nikkibong points out, there are plenty of 'heads who seem underqualified on the front page, but the large majority are great. That's why we're all watching in the first place. And part of the reason they are great is that Bob and his staff pick them after some consideration, as Jeff says. That's the model here.

I'm suggesting that given that model, it was a little bit of a Pandora's box to create an amateur channel because if the Apollonians turn out to be good, then there's a hole in the premise of the we-pick-the-best-of-the-web model that BHTV has. For example, having seen Zeko twice in the Apollo, and reading his latest request on the boards for a DV about political procedure, to which no Apollonians have responded, I'd love to see him debate that with Mark Schmitt, who has spoken about the filibuster before. And I'm suggesting that BHTV facilitate that.

Yes, graz, I personally would benefit from such a system. Since when are people not allowed to have good ideas that also benefit them?

TwinSwords 02-14-2010 06:45 AM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Zeko (Post 150632)
i agree, that's why I'm disappointed that I haven't found any potential partners yet. Is there anybody that agrees with me on the basic premise, but would like to talk specifics, or better yet, discuss how to get these reforms to happen?

You know, I just don't think the forum is the right place to find partners. If the pace of new Apollo diavlogs is any indication, it's hard to conclude anything else. I said when the idea was first proposed that forums are filled with introverts. (This is not an insult; it's a description.) People who choose to spend a lot of time on a computer forum tend not to be the kind of people who want to be seen by millions on camera.

Sadly necessary caveats: Not all forum dwellers are introverts; not all forum dwellers don't want to be on camera. Some forum dwellers are extroverts; some forum dwellers would love to be on camera.

YouTube is overflowing with people who will turn on the camera and talk endlessly about anything and everything. If Apollo can't attract more people to do diavlogs than it has already, it's because it's looking for them in the wrong place. Maybe you should try to find some smart, reasonable people on YouTube and recruit them to come over here. I'm aware of some really smart YouTubers, but despite my efforts, I've not been able to convince any of them to make the leap.

I have to admit, they're not encouraged by the fact that BHTV masks people with that crazy filter. That's probably at least part of the reason Apollo is floundering.

Anyway. . . .

graz 02-14-2010 11:14 AM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PreppyMcPrepperson (Post 150883)
I haven't petitioned Bob. I don't harbor any delusions that I'm the career equivalent of the folks on the front page. Yes, as nikkibong points out, there are plenty of 'heads who seem underqualified on the front page, but the large majority are great. That's why we're all watching in the first place. And part of the reason they are great is that Bob and his staff pick them after some consideration, as Jeff says. That's the model here.

I'm suggesting that given that model, it was a little bit of a Pandora's box to create an amateur channel because if the Apollonians turn out to be good, then there's a hole in the premise of the we-pick-the-best-of-the-web model that BHTV has. For example, having seen Zeko twice in the Apollo, and reading his latest request on the boards for a DV about political procedure, to which no Apollonians have responded, I'd love to see him debate that with Mark Schmitt, who has spoken about the filibuster before. And I'm suggesting that BHTV facilitate that.

Yes, graz, I personally would benefit from such a system. Since when are people not allowed to have good ideas that also benefit them?

So it's your CV that is preventing advancement to the front page?
Because if it were a meritocracy, you and nikki would already be there. Many agree.
The bookers are wise, except when they're not. You covered all bases there. Well, except being grateful by expressing thanks for the opportunity to use the Apollo forum. You know... to advance your ideas and career.

You've set up a lovely scenario, which includes a pandora's box, an injustice that needs a fix, and a route for promoting yourself to the vaunted front page. No shame in that. Go for it. Since you don't wish to use a direct approach, let's underscore the good idea again:

Quote:

Perhaps there's a mechanism by which Apollonians could challenge, offline, someone who's already on the front page and if they accept, then the Apollonian is permanently 'promoted.' It would have to be BHTV administered because some of the 'heads probably wouldn't respond to messages from us otherwise.

AemJeff 02-14-2010 01:44 PM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PreppyMcPrepperson (Post 150883)
I haven't petitioned Bob. I don't harbor any delusions that I'm the career equivalent of the folks on the front page. Yes, as nikkibong points out, there are plenty of 'heads who seem underqualified on the front page, but the large majority are great. That's why we're all watching in the first place. And part of the reason they are great is that Bob and his staff pick them after some consideration, as Jeff says. That's the model here.

I'm suggesting that given that model, it was a little bit of a Pandora's box to create an amateur channel because if the Apollonians turn out to be good, then there's a hole in the premise of the we-pick-the-best-of-the-web model that BHTV has. For example, having seen Zeko twice in the Apollo, and reading his latest request on the boards for a DV about political procedure, to which no Apollonians have responded, I'd love to see him debate that with Mark Schmitt, who has spoken about the filibuster before. And I'm suggesting that BHTV facilitate that.

Yes, graz, I personally would benefit from such a system. Since when are people not allowed to have good ideas that also benefit them?

Why not take Zeko up on his offer? It's a good topic - I don't have the degree of specific knowledge I believe would be required to play devil's advocate on the question. I imagine that you might. It might not be the main page, but it's an option that's open to you.

jimM47 02-14-2010 02:11 PM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
I don't think it is just the pace of connections made on the forum. It seems like the bh.tv policy of not airing apollo diavlogs until well after they've been recorded is designed to limit the number recorded.

AemJeff 02-14-2010 02:20 PM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimM47 (Post 150937)
I don't think it is just the pace of connections made on the forum. It seems like the bh.tv policy of not airing apollo diavlogs until well after they've been recorded is designed to limit the number recorded.

I'd guess that that may be partly due to how much staff time is available to prepare the final product, too.

PreppyMcPrepperson 02-14-2010 03:37 PM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AemJeff (Post 150932)
Why not take Zeko up on his offer? It's a good topic - I don't have the degree of specific knowledge I believe would be required to play devil's advocate on the question. I imagine that you might. It might not be the main page, but it's an option that's open to you.

I'm not sure I have the knowledge either. Moreover, I don't think it's fair/right for me to do another DV yet. I've done three already and it's not supposed to be The Preppy Show. Contrary to appearances, I do know when to shut up ;)

look 02-14-2010 10:22 PM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PreppyMcPrepperson (Post 150953)
I'm not sure I have the knowledge either. Moreover, I don't think it's fair/right for me to do another DV yet. I've done three already and it's not supposed to be The Preppy Show. Contrary to appearances, I do know when to shut up ;)

I think we need a monthly update from Pakistan. If everyone emails Brenda with encouragement, maybe...

osmium 02-15-2010 11:51 AM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AemJeff (Post 150938)
I'd guess that that may be partly due to how much staff time is available to prepare the final product, too.

On IRW and my second go-round, we tried hard to make sure no editing was required--I think it was up in a day or two.

Don Zeko 02-15-2010 03:06 PM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by osmium (Post 151032)
On IRW and my second go-round, we tried hard to make sure no editing was required--I think it was up in a day or two.

That's a fair description of my diavlog with Freedomforall as well. I think that the only diavlog with a long delay was the Af-Pak-India diavlog between me and PMP, which was delayed because of technical issues that were basically unique to that diavlog.

PreppyMcPrepperson 02-15-2010 03:31 PM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Zeko (Post 151055)
That's a fair description of my diavlog with Freedomforall as well. I think that the only diavlog with a long delay was the Af-Pak-India diavlog between me and PMP, which was delayed because of technical issues that were basically unique to that diavlog.

Yep. Had to do with my trouble getting a web connection strong enough to send a file that large.

Don Zeko 03-03-2010 11:52 PM

Re: Single diavlogger seeks same for stimulating conversation
 
This was a neat discussion and all, but I'm totally still interested in doing a DV about US institutional reform. Still no takers?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.