Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   Diavlog comments (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Obama's Words (Heather Hurlburt & Elvin Lim) (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=3863)

Bloggingheads 09-02-2009 02:27 PM

Obama's Words (Heather Hurlburt & Elvin Lim)

otto 09-02-2009 02:56 PM

Overexposure of HH?

HH is on about every two weeks at this stage: we're more Hurlburt.tv than BobnMickey.tv these days. But I'm not sure the star quality is yet there for HH to justify this level of exposure. Maybe dialing back to one-in-six weeks might be better all round?

TwinSwords 09-02-2009 02:57 PM

Re: Overexposure of HH?

Quote:

Originally Posted by otto (Post 128053)
HH is on about every two weeks at this stage: we're more Hurlburt.tv than BobnMickey.tv these days. But I'm not sure the star quality is yet there for HH to justify this level of exposure. Maybe dialing back to one-in-six weeks might be better all round?

Nope. Every two weeks works great for me. Like many others, I was going to suggest she have her own weekly show.

otto 09-02-2009 03:06 PM

Well, we'll see what others say. I very much doubt HH would sustain a weekly show.

But I should say: my comment has currently gone to the Forum, and is not appearing on the main board. That may be some sort of foul-up - this is the Interweb after all - but if it's an editorial move, it's not at all justified and the comment above, which is quite mildly put, was not in any way the sort that Bob was referring to when he said some comments would be put only on the forum.

otto 09-02-2009 03:08 PM

Ah, now on the main board, it just takes a little time these days I guess, though it never used to. Let the debate begin!

Salt 09-02-2009 03:08 PM

Re: Obama's Words (Heather Hurlburt & Elvin Lim)

Of course, Obama's failure to sell his healthcare plan has nothing to do with desparaging the tea-parties, the Gates affair and most recently "astro-turfing". Liberals have short-circuited themselves with their typical gusto. That pleasant aroma isn't cookies, it's toast.

claymisher 09-02-2009 03:16 PM

Oh bloggingheads, I can't stay mad at you. You always know how to win me back.

TwinSwords 09-02-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otto (Post 128057)
Well, we'll see what others say. I very much doubt HH would sustain a weekly show.

But I should say: my comment has currently gone to the Forum, and is not appearing on the main board. That may be some sort of foul-up - this is the Interweb after all - but if it's an editorial move, it's not at all justified and the comment above, which is quite mildly put, was not in any way the sort that Bob was referring to when he said some comments would be put only on the forum.

I'm guessing your problems with Heather aren't related to her star power as much as her political POV, and, if this is the case, it's a cheap shot to attack her star power.

As for the homepage: The people who run the site run it for their benefit, and the benefit of the guests who graciously agree to appear on the site — for free. That said, I can't imagine why you would care. Your comment was nothing but a personal attack on another individual. Why is it important to you that your personal attack on Heather be as widely read as possible?

otto 09-02-2009 03:25 PM

Quote:

I'm guessing your problems with Heather aren't related to her star power as much as her political POV, and, if this is the case, it's a cheap shot to attack her star power.
You guess wrong. At least you admit you're guessing. But perhaps if you're guessing, maybe you shouldn't be lashing out so strongly.

Commenting on the quality of the heads is a staple of forum threads for as long as there's been a forum, just as feedback, positive and negative, on the quality of columnists is part of the newspaper letter page. It goes with the territory.

bkjazfan 09-02-2009 03:25 PM

First, I like Heather and the more she's on the better.

For me, the healthcare debate is coming too fast on top of the massive economic problems that the country is experiencing. There was TARP, the bailing out of auto companies, the Stimulus, and ramping up on the Afganistan front. I can only juggle so many things at once and healthcare is one too much. Also, it remains to be seen whether any of the economic measures taken will bear fruit. Are the banks really healthy now, will Chrysler and GM ever be able to compete and make money, and was the Stimulus effective? Also, polling shows that the people are not enthralled with the Afgan effort.

The Healthcare debate is multifaceted and cannot be explained to the public with various pre programmed sound bites. The public needs to be educated in a methodical way before they will collectively will sign on to any reform and in my opinion this has not occurred.

John

uncle ebeneezer 09-02-2009 03:53 PM

Nonsense. I'd love more Bob/Mickey (my guess is that Bob's book promos are the main culprit for the drought) but HH is one of the finest b-heads out there and I would much rather see her regularly than someone with less to say but more popularity (cough, cough, Althouse, Goldberg, cough, cough).

For those who want star-power, fortunately there are better sites than bhTv.

DenvilleSteve 09-02-2009 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt (Post 128061)
Of course, Obama's failure to sell his healthcare plan has nothing to do with desparaging the tea-parties, the Gates affair and most recently "astro-turfing". Liberals have short-circuited themselves with their typical gusto. That pleasant aroma isn't cookies, it's toast.

whoa. good writing skills. Yeah, I have been kind of hoping democrats would stay in power long enough to bankrupt the government, hastening the arrival of the day when a better system, one with a lot of constitutional protections of individual rights, could be instituted. Now I am not so sure the democrats can pass any changes of substance before 2010 and will then be swept out of power. The replacement being some sort of center coalition that will just slow the descent of this crashing ship of state.

Salt 09-02-2009 05:11 PM

Darn right, Denville. When an administration as openly anti-business and guilt-driven as this one is elected, you know that some sort of dialectic climax is close at hand. I was a bit surprised at the speed and strength of the reaction, but momentum investors will recognize the dynamic. An anecdote: I recently was visited by an ardent liberal from New York who happens to be a venture capitalist and, to my surprise, remarked he hadn't voted for Obama. His explanation was that in his experience, 9 out of 10 of the entrepreneurs who come to him for capital will fail and lose their shirts. Nevertheless, it's the 10th that makes it possible for all of us to continue doing what we do. What precisely made him decide that Obama was more anti-business than the normal Democrat representatives from the legal profession? I'm not sure, other than obvious racism.

harkin 09-02-2009 07:23 PM

I found a perfect replacement for Ted Kennedy to represent MA in the US Senate:

State Rep Michael J Rodrigues.

He may not have the name but he's got the method down.

Quote:

The Healthcare debate is multifaceted and cannot be explained to the public with various pre programmed sound bites.
One of the core problems was that those who would vote on the bill didn't bother to read it before insisting it be passed ASAP. They were completely incapable of explaining something they had no clue about. Some of the funniest moments from the townhall meetings were the citizens asking relevant questions (racists to Obamacare supporters) because they had actually bothered to read all or part of the bills and politicians giving them blank stares (or even worse, incorrect answers) because they themselves had no idea what was in it.

There were other reasons people got so alarmed so fast such as Obama doing an about-face on his campaign promises of transparency and fiscal responsibility, handing a trillion to congress to spread around as vote buying, bringing on tax cheats to create tax policy, going after CIA interrogators as he ignores voter intimidation squads, union dues spending cover-ups, Charles Rangel etc coupled with post-election debtapalooza, cap-and-spend and all together they formed a tsunami of citizens who don't depend on the public dole (those helping pull the wagon instead of just riding on it) saying 'this isn't change, this is the status quo on steroids'. To put the icing on the cake, the white house is now adjusting it's deficit numbers up and more in-line with a CBO that they earlier said was wrong and the Clash For Clunkers program is showing that the government can't even manage a small incentive program, much less the health care industry.

Bob/Mickey is still the best dialogue on BhTV but once every three or four weeks is fine.

DenvilleSteve 09-02-2009 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harkin (Post 128121)
There were other reasons people got so alarmed so fast such as Obama doing an about-face on his campaign promises of transparency and fiscal responsibility, handing a trillion to congress to spread around as vote buying, bringing on tax cheats to create tax policy, going after CIA interrogators as he ignores voter intimidation squads, union dues spending cover-ups, Charles Rangel etc coupled with post-election debtapalooza, cap-and-spend and all together they formed a tsunami of citizens who don't depend on the public dole (those helping pull the wagon instead of just riding on it) saying 'this isn't change, this is the status quo on steroids'. To put the icing on the cake, the white house is now adjusting it's deficit numbers up and more in-line with a CBO that they earlier said was wrong and the Clash For Clunkers program is showing that the government can't even manage a small incentive program, much less the health care industry.

all good points. I think it comes down to Obama doing nothing to bring down the budget deficit and nothing to lessen imports from China. I don't see how people will spend money this Christmas season.

chiwhisoxx 09-02-2009 08:13 PM

I don't agree with HH very often, but she's articulate and well informed, so I think if she got a weekly show, they could maybe pair her up with Eli Lake, someone who appeases the other side of the isle pretty well, as far as I can tell. And I think the diavlogs they've had in the past have been reasonably successful, save for Eli's slightly annoying habit of interrupting people. The only problem is, how would this weekly segment be substantively different than worldwise?

bkjazfan 09-02-2009 08:14 PM

OK, I got it the administration wants to get everything passed quick like. I think the voters are having second thoughts. There has been a large drop in the president's polling and from what I gather the independents are starting to have buyers remorse. He is not the not the only one - Harry Reid is facing a serious challenger and we may have the second Democratic Senate Leader beaten in a race in recent memory with Tom Daschle previously suffering a similar embarrassing fate.

John

badhatharry 09-03-2009 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx (Post 128131)
I don't agree with HH very often, but she's articulate and well informed

I like Heather too. She’s a very articulate wonk. Maybe when she grows up she’ll become a conservative.

I got a little crazy with the Kennedy/60’s thing. Heather said that this was a time of intense hope and that those who lived these golden years are full of anxiety that that hope won’t come to fruition….and that these people may be burying their hope with Kennedy.

Gag me! It’s easy to see why she and Clinton were simpatico.

Prior to that, she spoke of the fantasy of the past and the quaint myths of the time of the founding of this country when the rhetoric was more thoughtful and substantive. Well, I submit that any talk of the 60’s beyond lots of permissive behavior, lost kids and throwing lots of babies out with buckets of bathwater is just quaint myth and marketing to sell fortieth anniversary versions of ‘Woodstock’, the movie.

Maybe someone can fill me in on the age of Reagan being over and that the right is repudiating him…. wishful thinking?

rcocean 09-03-2009 02:10 AM

Please quit projecting your Ted Kennedy fascination on to us

the rest of the country. Yes, I'm sure D.C. and the Northeast (old and young fogeys) are *fascinated* by anything Kennedy and *hearts* the Swimmer, but the rest of us (the South, the Midwest, the West) don't care.

Hello? Kennedy ran for POTUS and couldn't beat Carter. He didn't run again because he couldn't win. And that was almost 30 years ago.

He wasn't been Senate Minority/Majority leader, or Whip for the last 25 years. He was a terrible speaker, not particularly bright or hard working. He was drunk most the time, and read what his staff wrote for him. He wasn't JFK - he wasn't even John F****N Kerry. His sole power came from (a) the MSM love machine which constantly puffed him up and (b) the Morons in Massachusetts who elected their "Prince" over and over no matter what.

He's now dead - can we quit talking about him?

TwinSwords 09-03-2009 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otto (Post 128065)
You guess wrong. At least you admit you're guessing. But perhaps if you're guessing, maybe you shouldn't be lashing out so strongly.

Commenting on the quality of the heads is a staple of forum threads for as long as there's been a forum, just as feedback, positive and negative, on the quality of columnists is part of the newspaper letter page. It goes with the territory.

Sorry if you felt I was "lashing out strongly." And you're right with everything you say in the 2nd paragraph, except I would add that the feedback almost always correlates with the political views of the person making the complaint. It's very rare for someone to criticize the "star power" or competence of one of their political allies. Most complaints about the various qualities of the 'heads start out as disagreements with their political views. Likewise, most people are willing to bite their tongue before criticizing 'heads who are fighting on their side.

AemJeff 09-03-2009 02:35 AM

Re: Please quit projecting your Ted Kennedy fascination on to us

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcocean (Post 128186)
...He's now dead - can we quit talking about shim?

As far as I can tell, in this forum nobody's spent more words on him than you, rc.

rcocean 09-03-2009 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AemJeff (Post 128189)
As far as I can tell, in this forum nobody's spent more words on him than you, rc.

Jeff:Only because the Diavlog's keep discussing Ted Kennedy.

Bob Wright: Please, "Nevermore"

sapeye 09-03-2009 05:10 AM

I like Heather. She is smart, thoughtful and articulate. I find it rude, though, that she divides her attention between her discussion with her partner (and us) and checking her email.

bjkeefe 09-03-2009 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claymisher (Post 128063)
Oh bloggingheads, I can't stay mad at you. You always know how to win me back.

Hear, hear. Heather is always the cure for any gripe I have with Bh.tv, and Elvin was a booster shot. This was a great diavlog.

bjkeefe 09-03-2009 07:12 AM

Quote:

Worst. Suggestion. Ever.

bjkeefe 09-03-2009 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcocean (Post 128186)
the rest of the country. Yes, I'm sure D.C. and the Northeast (old and young fogeys) are *fascinated* by anything Kennedy and *hearts* the Swimmer, but the rest of us (the South, the Midwest, the West) don't care.

Please quit projecting your own feelings on everyone in the South, Midwest, and West.

nikkibong 09-03-2009 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 128185)
I like Heather too. She’s a very articulate wonk. Maybe when she grows up she’ll become a conservative.

Wow, that's a condescending remark.

Kandigol 09-04-2009 06:52 AM

What's with you guys?

This dialogue was delightful. A fresh subject, and two people well matched. Good talkers, with beautiful voices both. (It does matter.)

Heather is one of the more interesting B'heads around. Please keep her on. I like the way she interjects personal tidbits, without becoming tedious in any way, into these serious topics. And she is so smart. She's a catch!

bjkeefe 09-05-2009 08:14 AM

Re: Obama's Words -- on a related note

Charles Blow weighs in on the president's upcoming speech.

Flaw 09-06-2009 12:47 AM

Hurlburt is intelligent and well spoken. I don't agree with much she says but she represents her contingency well. I don't know if she needs a show though. I don't want her choosing week people to debate.

basman 09-08-2009 03:41 PM

Quote:

Otto:

I once made up a joke that turned on your name:

Q: What did Henry Ford call his son?

A: Otto!

Anyway I just wanted to congratulate you as having given birth to this thread out of the seed of your seminal post.

Itzik Basman