Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   Diavlog comments (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The Week in Blog: What Comes Around Goes Around (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=2128)

Bloggingheads 09-20-2008 06:14 PM

The Week in Blog: What Comes Around Goes Around

Ray 09-20-2008 07:47 PM

Re: The Week in Blog: What Comes Around Goes Around

Oh jesus. Please stop with the teenager analogies.

Seriously! Don't do it! You're killing us!

Argh!

Fifteen minutes to go. Five bucks says she rocks another adolescent metaphor.

Anyone want to insure my bet?

razib 09-20-2008 11:09 PM

i found this disappointing, sarah didn't seem to really engage with bill and vice versa. also, sarah made some confusing assertions. commanding heights != social democracy. some social democrats do accept the commanding heights, but many believe in a welfare state but leaves the private sector alone (taxation, not nationalization). these sorts of distinctions would have sharpened the discussion.

btw, canada is 80% white. who cares what the proportions in vancouver are? does canada's national health get funded on the local level?

beren 09-20-2008 11:15 PM

Sara said she was "trained as a futurist"??

Her bio, http://www.ourfuture.org/user/11090/full

says she will receive her MS in Future Studies, in 2009 (the future).

I didn't know you could get such a degree.

ed fielding 09-21-2008 12:05 AM

Brava Sara! I like her. Grounded, good focus; the rigorous futurist slant is a bonus.
Billís lack of obnoxious loud-mouthery is always a plus as is his gently generous manner.

Baltimoron 09-21-2008 12:51 AM

Quote:

i found this disappointing, sarah didn't seem to really engage with bill and vice versa. also, sarah made some confusing assertions. commanding heights != social democracy. some social democrats do accept the commanding heights, but many believe in a welfare state but leaves the private sector alone (taxation, not nationalization). these sorts of distinctions would have sharpened the discussion.
Beutler countered and illustrated that by comparing India 50 years ago with the EU states today.

Baltimoron 09-21-2008 12:55 AM

I agree!

Beutler and Robinson in the opening segments covered a few links, and then later expanded into commentary in a way not done before on a W-in-B diavlog. Both gave us some personal bio that colored their comments. Both also were not trapped by any party line.

A much-appreciated, refreshing departure from the moronic talking points kabuki of Scher and Carroll!

Tony08 09-21-2008 01:21 AM

I second Razib. Vancouver (it's not 3 million per Sara, but about 2.2 million) is Canada's second biggest English-speaking city (more and more Mandarin speaking, actually), and is about 50% visible-minority (in fact, that term is no longer applicable in its traditional sense in large parts of the city, where being European-Canadian is being part of a visible-minority). Toronto is Canada's largest city, and is also about 50% visible-minority. However, this is all extremely new (almost all within the last 40 years) and accelerating. To use the very new ethnic and racial heterogeneity of Vancouver or Canada in general as an argument for the stability of heterogeneous social democracies seems specious ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by razib (Post 91751)
btw, canada is 80% white. who cares what the proportions in vancouver are? does canada's national health get funded on the local level?

rgajria 09-21-2008 02:09 AM

25 minutes in and Sara Robinson is consistently speaking over Bill. Very annoying.

JIM3CH 09-21-2008 08:06 AM

This discussion was great. Sara Robinsonís description of the role that Americaís hubris has played in our economic collapse strikes me as right on the money.

After the collapse of the US dollar (What should we call the new currency by the way?) I envision another great society, with the government stepping in to oversee infrastructure repair and construction of a 1000 additional power plants to eliminate dependence on foreign oil. This means lots of jobs, at much lower salaries and much more productive work; in other words, a return to the 1950ís.

Falling short of this will probably mean a return to the 1930ís.

Good luck to us all!

Kandigol 09-21-2008 10:34 AM

Where were our regular guys? It would have been so interesting to see Conn explain everything away that just happened. I know this sounds shallow, but I've rather gotten to like Conn, who - for a conservative - also looks kinda attractive.

And why is Bill drinking from a glass container? Do we need to put some money together to buy him a set of proper water glasses?

somebody 09-21-2008 10:57 AM

Did SR say that Canada is taking in more immigrants than any other country? Where can she back up that statement?

robevans 09-21-2008 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somebody (Post 91788)
Did SR say that Canada is taking in more immigrants than any other country? Where can she back up that statement?

Perhaps more to Williams point is the degree of diversity and not the total number of immigrants. Further, immigrant communities are not the only source of diversity in US. The point, I think, was that US tradition values diversity, the iconoclast and the freedom to choose which makes Social Democracy a poor fit.

I also think Sara is making the mistake of applying the values of the family to society in general, something Hayek pointed out problematic.

Oh, and what about the Moral Hazard associated w/ being a futurist?

Tony08 09-21-2008 03:54 PM

somebody, the claim that Canada takes in more immigrants than any other country seems dubious. This article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Canada claims that Canada received 236,759 immigrants in 2007, while this article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigra..._United_States claims that 1,266,264 immigrants became legal permanent residents of the United States in 2006. This article http://www.statistics.gov.uk/pdfdir/emig1107.pdf claims that immigration to the U.K. in 2006 was about 600,000. *Per capita* and depending on how you define the terms she might be right, though (the U.S. is about ten times as big as Canada, for example).

Quote:

Originally Posted by somebody (Post 91788)

bjkeefe 09-21-2008 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robevans (Post 91798)
Oh, and what about the Moral Hazard associated w/ being a futurist?

Hee hee!

Eastwest 09-21-2008 05:37 PM

Nice Change of Pace for TWIB

Nice to have some new folks on TWIB, bringing the following improvements:

Sara has fresh ideas, presented with humor, and decent analogies aptly reflecting the crux of current problems. (Forget Ray's carping: He was just wincing because they were cutting to close to his bones.)

William seemed a little more willing than Conn to be candid.

Nice change-of-pace relievers for the starting pitchers.

EW

bjkeefe 09-21-2008 06:25 PM

Re: Nice Change of Pace for TWIB

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastwest (Post 91819)
Nice to have some new folks on TWIB, bringing the following improvements:

Sara has fresh ideas, presented with humor, and decent analogies aptly reflecting the crux of current problems. (Forget Ray's carping: He was just wincing because they were cutting to close to his bones.)

William seemed a little more willing than Conn to be candid.

Nice change-of-pace relievers for the starting pitchers.

EW

Agreed, especially the part about William versus Conn on honesty.

Tara Davis 09-22-2008 04:10 AM

Whenever big-government liberals use "family" metaphors to talk about these sorts of subjects, government bureaucracy is always the watchful parents, and the people are always the misbehaving children.

Little more needs to be said about their worldview.