Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   Stupid pointless flame wars (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   from Loury & Wax (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=6152)

Ocean 10-25-2010 07:53 PM

Re: from Loury & Wax
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 184646)
Examples?

look, don't you think that it's fun to have each of us come up with our own ideas? Did you look at them? What did you think?

look 10-25-2010 08:32 PM

Re: from Loury & Wax
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 184582)
It's very cute, tho, as are you.

As are you, also. You rock.

look 10-25-2010 08:34 PM

Re: from Loury & Wax
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by handle (Post 184550)
My new comedy pick: "Bored to Death".

I caught maybe the first 10 minutes of the most recent(?) show, and wasn't impressed with Ted Danson. I'd have to give it a chance.

look 10-25-2010 08:41 PM

Re: from Loury & Wax
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stephanie (Post 184590)
Out of curiosity, where are you picking it up from? I don't think of it as outdated (though it might be) but simply regional. It drove me crazy (I can still hear it in the various regional accents) when I was in college in MA. Never heard it outside of MA or very close proximity.

Interesting, I never knew it was prevalent in MA.

Really, I don't remember, but it would be from the media; magazine, movie, tv, etc., but it was not something I grew up with (or was aware of, if it was in my area).

look 10-25-2010 08:48 PM

Re: from Loury & Wax
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean (Post 184647)
look, don't you think that it's fun to have each of us come up with our own ideas? Did you look at them? What did you think?

Them?

I recall you saying a while back that you felt there were sockpuppets about.

Ocean 10-25-2010 09:28 PM

Re: from Loury & Wax
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 184665)
Them?

I recall you saying a while back that you felt there were sockpuppets about.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I was referring to Flame Warriors. It's fun to imagine which characters each of us resembles at one time or the other.

look 10-25-2010 09:49 PM

Re: from Loury & Wax
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean (Post 184674)
I'm not sure what you're talking about. I was referring to Flame Warriors. It's fun to imagine which characters each of us resembles at one time or the other.

Oh, I see. I'd seen this or something similar some time back. I'd say all of us comprise several profiles.

handle 10-27-2010 01:40 PM

Re: from Loury & Wax
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 184661)
I caught maybe the first 10 minutes of the most recent(?) show, and wasn't impressed with Ted Danson. I'd have to give it a chance.


I'm in it for the classic lines, probably why I like House.
Jonathan: "I don't do well with anger, I go straight to depression."

Danson was good on "Damages" another show I liked, that was a commercial flop. So don't listen to me. Besides, I find discussions on personal preferences regarding art and media sort of useless*, unless someone with similar tastes links me to something I haven't seen yet.

*e.g. "Boston? yer crazy man, they suck" or the classic Whatfur putting down the Cars because:
[cliche] "these guys only know three chords" [/cliche]
As the late great Ray used to say:
[wisdom] "but what does it sound like?" [/wisdom]
But what does he know? he's just the King of Soul.

stephanie 10-27-2010 02:34 PM

Re: from Loury & Wax
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by handle (Post 184794)
Besides, I find discussions on personal preferences regarding art and media sort of useless*, unless someone with similar tastes links me to something I haven't seen yet.

*e.g. "Boston? yer crazy man, they suck" or the classic Whatfur putting down the Cars because:
[cliche] "these guys only know three chords" [/cliche]
As the late great Ray used to say:
[wisdom] "but what does it sound like?" [/wisdom]
But what does he know? he's just the King of Soul.

I like hearing about what others like, and don't mind shared dislikes either (it can be a fun way to find you see eye to eye with someone you disagree with on other topics). I also like reading other people's lists of favorites or comments on lists of favorites (no way that's one of the top 10 albums of the '70s!), and I love discussing books (and feel much more comfortable doing that than trying to go beyond personal taste with music or art).

But, yeah, the types of comments you reference sound pretty useless.

look 10-27-2010 07:34 PM

Re: from Loury & Wax
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by handle (Post 184794)
I'm in it for the classic lines, probably why I like House.
Jonathan: "I don't do well with anger, I go straight to depression."
Danson was good on "Damages" another show I liked, that was a commercial flop. So don't listen to me. Besides, I find discussions on personal preferences regarding art and media sort of useless*, unless someone with similar tastes links me to something I haven't seen yet.

Heh. I've seen Schwartzman in a couple movies.

Haven't seen (or heard) of Damages. Yeah, you're right about discussing likes and dislikes of shows, etc. Some just hit one wrong. People rave about Grey's Anatomy, but I think it's super dumb.

Seen Breaking Bad? It stars the Dad from Malcolm in the Middle. It's pretty good, but after too long, I would be getting caught up in all these great stories. I heard The Wire is excellent, but I just don't want to get caught up in yet one more story. I'm maxed out from the 90's. Besides, one day, I want to get a super good show and watch, maybe, three episodes in a row till its all played. I have goals. :)

handle 10-28-2010 03:22 PM

Re: from Loury & Wax
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stephanie (Post 184811)
I like hearing about what others like, and don't mind shared dislikes either (it can be a fun way to find you see eye to eye with someone you disagree with on other topics). I also like reading other people's lists of favorites or comments on lists of favorites (no way that's one of the top 10 albums of the '70s!), and I love discussing books (and feel much more comfortable doing that than trying to go beyond personal taste with music or art).

But, yeah, the types of comments you reference sound pretty useless.

I never got past the impression that people are trying to impress others with their tastes, but you make a really good point about finding common ground and perhaps gaining insights as to character, thanks.

handle 10-28-2010 03:32 PM

Re: from Loury & Wax
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 184940)
Heh. I've seen Schwartzman in a couple movies.

Haven't seen (or heard) of Damages. Yeah, you're right about discussing likes and dislikes of shows, etc. Some just hit one wrong. People rave about Grey's Anatomy, but I think it's super dumb.

Seen Breaking Bad? It stars the Dad from Malcolm in the Middle. It's pretty good, but after too long, I would be getting caught up in all these great stories. I heard The Wire is excellent, but I just don't want to get caught up in yet one more story. I'm maxed out from the 90's. Besides, one day, I want to get a super good show and watch, maybe, three episodes in a row till its all played. I have goals. :)


Breaking bad is awesome, give me great actors and writing and I'm in every time.
As for "goals", I have had fun when I discover something I missed, and can rent the DVDs and watch whole seasons in sequence, with no ads, and no week long delays between episodes. Probably my favorite was Six Feet Under. I think you might like Damages, and you can rent it on netflix. Journalists and politicos love The Wire, but it does demand your attention.

look 10-28-2010 07:12 PM

Re: from Loury & Wax
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by handle (Post 185106)
Breaking bad is awesome, give me great actors and writing and I'm in every time.
As for "goals", I have had fun when I discover something I missed, and can rent the DVDs and watch whole seasons in sequence, with no ads, and no week long delays between episodes. Probably my favorite was Six Feet Under. I think you might like Damages, and you can rent it on netflix. Journalists and politicos love The Wire, but it does demand your attention.

That's exactly the one I have been wanting to watch, one after the other. I've never seen an episode, but the commercials looked right up my alley.

My son loves Breaking Bad. I think I might find The Wire too intense. I've enjoyed a lot of Law and Order, Homicide, NYPD Blue, Third Watch, so I think I'll not try that one. Never saw the Sopranos. I see my son is getting sucked into Boardwalk Empire. Ho Hum. They can do everything so slickly these days that everything is good.

badhatharry 10-29-2010 09:54 PM

Re: from Loury & Wax
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 185140)
That's exactly the one I have been wanting to watch, one after the other. I've never seen an episode, but the commercials looked right up my alley.

My son loves Breaking Bad. I think I might find The Wire too intense. I've enjoyed a lot of Law and Order, Homicide, NYPD Blue, Third Watch, so I think I'll not try that one. Never saw the Sopranos. I see my son is getting sucked into Boardwalk Empire. Ho Hum. They can do everything so slickly these days that everything is good.

I know how every episode of Law and Order turns out by watching the first ten seconds.

Ever seen Dead Like Me?

look 10-30-2010 04:19 PM

Re: from Loury & Wax
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 185359)
I know how every episode of Law and Order turns out by watching the first ten seconds.

Well when you've seen all the episodes 10 times, that's pretty easy. ;)

Quote:

Ever seen Dead Like Me?
No, but I'll look it up.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.