Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   General comments on Bloggingheads.tv (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New diavloggers we'd like to see (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=1813)

johnmarzan 09-07-2008 10:52 PM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
charles krauthammer
christopher hitchens

otto 10-02-2008 03:39 AM

New Bh.Tver
 
Megan 'From the Archives' or now 'Rhubarb Pie'.
http://rhubarbpie.typepad.com/rhubarb/

Blogging on California, dating, and water use. What's not to like?
(I think I may have suggested Megan before a while back -- get to it)

AemJeff 10-12-2008 08:52 PM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
I think Daniel Larison would make a great right-of-center foil for Bob Wright.

TwinSwords 10-12-2008 10:42 PM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AemJeff (Post 93911)
I think Daniel Larison would make a great right-of-center foil for Bob Wright.

An excellent suggestion!

nikkibong 10-13-2008 12:39 AM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
Clive Wynne, author of the excellent book, Do Animals Think? would be a great Science Saturday (or Free Will) score. Animal Cognition!

http://books.google.com/books?id=0Oi...um=4&ct=result

otto 10-13-2008 12:39 PM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
There's a so-called neo-liberal/contrarian guy with a high-traffic blog, one of the first set up, who I think would make great diavlogs about the last few weeks of the presidential campaign. Name escapes me however.

Clear Eyes 10-13-2008 07:27 PM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
maybe Martin Peretz - he has some ideas on political issues.

nikkibong 10-14-2008 06:31 PM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clear Eyes (Post 93963)
maybe Martin Peretz - he has some ideas on political issues.

put him up against juan cole and prepare for one of them to explode!

johnmarzan 10-15-2008 06:21 AM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmarzan (Post 90349)
charles krauthammer
christopher hitchens

one down, one more to go.

johnmarzan 10-15-2008 06:26 AM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
3 more names:

anne applebaum
tom friedman
david brooks

otto 10-15-2008 12:58 PM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
No - none of those. What we want is suggestions for bloggers to appear on bh.tv. Yes, we want special guests when they have a book to discuss etc, and e.g. Fukuyama was pretty good. But this is not oldmediaheads.tv - you need to earn your licence to blogginghead.

johnmarzan 10-16-2008 12:12 AM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by otto (Post 94154)
No - none of those. What we want is suggestions for bloggers to appear on bh.tv. Yes, we want special guests when they have a book to discuss etc, and e.g. Fukuyama was pretty good. But this is not oldmediaheads.tv - you need to earn your licence to blogginghead.

invite them anyway even if they don't have any book to promote. you should not exclude any people who would make good guests for the diavlog, instead of limiting yourselves to leftwing and leftwing bloggers.

johnmarzan 10-16-2008 01:33 AM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
christopher buckley vs glenn loury (tip from kaus)

anycon 10-20-2008 10:41 AM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
I want hilzoy! --Or to second someone else's request for hilzoy, given I didn't search the thread.

AemJeff 10-20-2008 11:07 AM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by anycon (Post 94667)
I want hilzoy! --Or to second someone else's request for hilzoy, given I didn't search the thread.

I don't think he's come up - but I'll second your request.

TwinSwords 10-20-2008 01:15 PM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AemJeff (Post 94669)
I don't think he's come up - but I'll second your request.

I will third the nomination of Hilzoy. And Hilzoy's blogging partner Steve Benen would also be an excellent "get" for BHTV.

For those not familiar with Benen, you can hear him 2 hours a week on the excellent Poli Sci-Fi Radio, a weekly program featuring discussion of politics and science fiction.

Steve Benen also writes one of the most indispensible blogs, Political Animal, at The Washington Monthly.


(Thanks to bjkeefe for alerting me to Poli Sci-Fi Radio some weeks ago.)

bjkeefe 10-21-2008 05:58 PM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
hilzoy is female, if anyone cares. I add my request for her to appear, and second the request for Steve Benen. (I think I've asked for him before).

BTW, hilzoy also posts on Political Animal, in addition to her more usual place, Obsidian Wings.

Bobby G 10-21-2008 07:01 PM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
H-Bok's reputation as a philosopher is very good. I would definitely like to see her do bhTV. Pairing her up with David Velleman might be good, at least if they discussed social issues.

Saint Russell 10-28-2008 01:33 PM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
Has bh.tv ever had a real live Objectivist? I was just reading David Corn's piece in Mother Jones, where (as others have done lately) he characterizes the current financial catastrophe as "decades of Ayn Rand down the drain". I'd love to see Yaron Brook (Ayn Rand Center for Individual Rights, Forbes.com, Time.com, etc.) do a Bloggingheads, so how about setting one up with Corn?

Bobby G 10-28-2008 06:48 PM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Saint Russell (Post 95604)
Has bh.tv ever had a real live Objectivist? I was just reading David Corn's piece in Mother Jones, where (as others have done lately) he characterizes the current financial catastrophe as "decades of Ayn Rand down the drain". I'd love to see Yaron Brook (Ayn Rand Center for Individual Rights, Forbes.com, Time.com, etc.) do a Bloggingheads, so how about setting one up with Corn?

Is Brook an Ayn Rand Institute type (objectivism is a closed system) or an Atlas Foundation type (objectivism is an open system)? No on him if the former, yes if the latter.

Saint Russell 10-28-2008 08:37 PM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby G (Post 95671)
Is Brook an Ayn Rand Institute type (objectivism is a closed system) or an Atlas Foundation type (objectivism is an open system)? No on him if the former, yes if the latter.

Brook is President and Executive Director of ARI. If you'd prefer someone "objectivish" rather than an actual Objectivist, he's evidently not your guy.

nikkibong 10-31-2008 04:09 PM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
Kevin Roderick of laobserved & someone else (Jack Shafer? Jay Rosen of Pressthink?) discussing the continuing travails of print media. (Damn, another 10% cut at the LA Times this week . . .)

Working title: Stop the Presses!

Downpressor 11-08-2008 03:43 PM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
I think Dan Savage would be awesome. Very intelligent, but definitely of a different background than most who appear on this site. Especially good for something about prop 8 and issues about sexual orientation.

also, Joseph Heath at the U of Toronto would be great...specifically on Free Will as he just came out with a new book.

bjkeefe 11-08-2008 03:59 PM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Downpressor (Post 97098)
I think Dan Savage would be awesome. Very intelligent, but definitely of a different background than most who appear on this site. Especially good for something about prop 8 and issues about sexual orientation.

also, Joseph Heath at the U of Toronto would be great...specifically on Free Will as he just came out with a new book.

I second Dan Savage for sure.

(Don't know Heath.)

Incompetence Dodger 11-13-2008 09:27 AM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
Now that the diavlog format is firmly established and the site has reached a kind of critical mass, maybe it's time to have the occasional audio-only diavlog for anonymous or nominally anonymous bloggers like Digby, Hilzoy, Anonymous Liberal and Cunning Realist. "Audio-only diavlog"--hmm, I'll have to come up with a snappier term for that....

bjkeefe 11-13-2008 11:07 AM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Incompetence Dodger (Post 97439)
Now that the diavlog format is firmly established and the site has reached a kind of critical mass, maybe it's time to have the occasional audio-only diavlog for anonymous or nominally anonymous bloggers like Digby, Hilzoy, Anonymous Liberal and Cunning Realist. "Audio-only diavlog"--hmm, I'll have to come up with a snappier term for that....

Diaalog?

(And then we can argue about whether to pronounce it with three or four syllables.)

sugarkang 11-14-2008 12:57 AM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
paul krugman v. peter schiff?

ledocs 11-17-2008 11:00 AM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
I don't have particular people in mind, but I want to say that the role of derivatives, and particularly of credit default swaps, in the financial crisis has yet to be addressed in a serious way on bhtv, and I think that should be rectified. Robert Schiller came on to say that the problem is not with derivatives per se, but rather with the lack of transparency of the derivatives markets. So he wants them traded on exchanges, and he wants to create yet more derivatives. Greenspan has admitted that credit default swaps have been a major contributor to the crisis. Schiller said nothing to contradict this, except that he said that the problem they have created results entirely from an increase in counterparty risk in the financial system as a whole. Is this true?

I want to see two people who know a lot about the derivatives markets, both in theory and in practice, explaining to us what is known about what is out there and what problems have resulted from this largely hidden market. I am assuming that Soros and Buffett cannot be induced to discuss this on bhtv.

There was a lady "management consultant" who was on in September who seemed to know a lot about the financial markets. I don't remember her name, but I found her to be impressive.

Thanks.

uncle ebeneezer 12-07-2008 01:34 PM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
I would love an interview with Daniel Levitin or Oliver Sacks on the psychology of music. Not sure who the best interviewer would be. John Horgan, Carl Zimmer and Bob Wright would all be great from the science/evolution angle, but Will Wilkinson would be great too, or even a musicphile like Eli Lake or Matt Lee could make for an interesting interview.

bjkeefe 12-07-2008 01:53 PM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle ebeneezer (Post 98824)
I would love an interview with Daniel Levitin or Oliver Sacks on the psychology of music. Not sure who the best interviewer would be. John Horgan, Carl Zimmer and Bob Wright would all be great from the science/evolution angle, but Will Wilkinson would be great too, or even a musicphile like Eli Lake or Matt Lee could make for an interesting interview.

I'd be delighted to hear Oliver Sacks talk about anything he'd like.

On the psychology of music, I'll re-recommend this episode of Radiolab -- Musical Language -- to tide you over while you're waiting.

If you remember this recommendation from my earlier post, I apologize for the repetition.

uncle ebeneezer 12-07-2008 02:12 PM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
I do remember that link. I think I tried to view it recently but got interrupted or had computer issues and forgot to go back. Thanks for reminding me.

Yeah, Oliver would be a great guest. Just the stories from "Man who mistook his wife 4 a hat" would easily fill a fascinating hour.

Perhaps Richard Preston would be a good guy to interview him on that kinda stuff.

bjkeefe 12-07-2008 02:39 PM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle ebeneezer (Post 98831)
I do remember that link. I think I tried to view it recently but got interrupted or had computer issues and forgot to go back. Thanks for reminding me.

y/w

Quote:

Yeah, Oliver would be a great guest. Just the stories from "Man who mistook his wife 4 a hat" would easily fill a fascinating hour.

Perhaps Richard Preston would be a good guy to interview him on that kinda stuff.
Good idea. Or maybe Robert Krulwich from Radiolab, even. If you could get him, you'd have a better chance of getting Sacks -- they're pals from way back.

uncle ebeneezer 12-07-2008 05:38 PM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
Just listened to the Radiolab music piece. Very cool. I would have loved to hear them get into the evolutionary perspective on how certain sounds became tied to certain emotions. Are they standard across all cultures? Are there any exceptions?

PS the Stravinsky story was great. I only my music could start a riot!

bjkeefe 12-07-2008 06:27 PM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle ebeneezer (Post 98850)
Just listened to the Radiolab music piece. Very cool.

Glad you liked it. Thanks for letting me know.

Quote:

I would have loved to hear them get into the evolutionary perspective on how certain sounds became tied to certain emotions. Are they standard across all cultures? Are there any exceptions?
Dude, you've just outlined half the diavlog! Write it down, email it to Bh.tv and Radiolab!

Quote:

PS the Stravinsky story was great. I only my music could start a riot!
Heh. That's because you're the one at the back of the stage. Think of your poor frontmen. ;^)

nikkibong 12-09-2008 12:41 PM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
leon wieseltier vs. . . .well, anybody!

Bobby G 12-09-2008 02:46 PM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
Eric Alterman vs. Marty Peretz!

TwinSwords 12-09-2008 03:00 PM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby G (Post 98970)
Eric Alterman vs. Marty Peretz!

That would be dramatic!

Downpressor 12-11-2008 05:36 PM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
(reposted from the open forum, sorry) based on interesting Coates posts on homophobia (like this one: http://ta-nehisicoates.theatlantic.c..._lifestyle.php) I think a Dan Savage/Ta-Nehisi Coates Diavlogue would be awesome. I think it would also be good to get Dan Savage in a forum where he doesnt have to be on the super defensive/offensive and can just be the smart, insightful, and funny guy that he is.

bjkeefe 12-11-2008 05:46 PM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Downpressor (Post 99077)
(reposted from the open forum, sorry) based on interesting Coates posts on homophobia (like this one: http://ta-nehisicoates.theatlantic.c..._lifestyle.php) I think a Dan Savage/Ta-Nehisi Coates Diavlogue would be awesome. I think it would also be good to get Dan Savage in a forum where he doesnt have to be on the super defensive/offensive and can just be the smart, insightful, and funny guy that he is.

Good suggestion. I'd also like to hear Dan Savage independent of waiting until the next slot with Ta-Nehisi opens up.

No need to apologize. Thanks for taking my suggestion.

Ooga-Booga 12-23-2008 09:44 AM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see
 
Journalists -
Robert Fisk, Jeannie Becker, Amy Goodman, Jeremy Schahill, Ana Kasparian, Cenk Uygur

Writers -
Jim Hightower, Arundhati Roy, Katha Pollit, Howard Zinn, Naomi Klein

Activists -
Gloria Stienem, Mark Emery, Ralph Nader, Bill Ayers, Bernadine Dorhn, Richard Gere

Scientists -
Oliver Sacks (neurologist), David Suzuki (environmentalist), Stephen Hawking (physicist)

Musicians -
Henry Rollins, Jello Biafra, Yoko Ono, Leonard Cohen, Steve Earle, Buddy Guy, BB King, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Lee Konitz, Billy Bragg, Joan Baez, Pete Seeger, Chuck D, Stewart Copeland, Johnny Rotten

Other -
Paul Krugman, Ross Perot, Moses Znaimer, The Dalai Lama, Nelson Mandella


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.