Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   Diavlog comments (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Means and Ends (Joshua Cohen & Glenn Loury) (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=7281)

Ray in Seattle 01-12-2012 12:34 PM

Re: LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 236694)
I think I may have given the wrong impression. My dad rarely punished me, although there were many times I deserved it.

It's good to know I got the wrong impression on that. I was half way making light of it anyway - but it's not the proper topic for such treatment.

sugarkang 01-12-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Florian (Post 236654)
One more measure of your incredible obtuseness.

If you cannot understand the difference between saying that a cliché is almost universally understood to imply something (i.e. that many people infer something from it) and saying that the inference is in fact invalid because it is impossible* to infer what someone believes from what he says, there is nothing I can do to help you.

Yes, because you implicitly endorsed that stupidity as the universally accepted understanding. And because this stupidity is so widely accepted, words have no meaning. It's because you allow this as a valid point, the warhawk neo-cons get away with the strength of the accusation alone without the cogency of an actual argument. Some of my best friends are Jewish. In the Ta Nehisi Coates / TwinSwords world, this testimony is meaningless.

Quote:

You infer from the fact that I said that many people make the above invalid inference that I must believe it to be a valid inference.
When will you have the courage to admit that you were wrong?

AemJeff 01-12-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarkang (Post 236699)

When will you have the courage to admit that you were wrong?

Good grief. Florian, you are arguing with the most obtuse (your word, and perfectly apt) person on the internet. You can score every point in the debate (as you have) and it will never change the nature of the responses that follow.

(It's your choice to do so, and I have no wish to suggest differently. I'm just commenting on the futility of the enterprise.)

graz 01-12-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AemJeff (Post 236702)
Good grief. Florian, you are arguing with the most obtuse (your word, and perfectly apt) person on the internet. You can score every point in the debate (as you have) and it will never change the nature of the responses that follow.

(It's your choice to do so, and I have no wish to suggest differently. I'm just commenting on the futility of the enterprise.)

Shorter Koch kaine to Jeff:
"Krispy Kreme or Dunkin'"

AemJeff 01-12-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 236707)
Shorter Koch kaine to Jeff:
"Krispy Kreme or Dunkin'"

Speaking of responses of which their nature never changes.

Added: Good grief, any grammar nazis want to help me with that sentence?

look 01-12-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

I think I may be having a stroke.

sugarkang 01-12-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 236714)
I think I may be having a stroke.

Hah. Not to worry.

"I always think it's a sign of victory when they move on to the ad hominem" -- Christopher Hitchens, RIP

look 01-12-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarkang (Post 236718)
Hah. Not to worry.

"I always think it's a sign of victory when they move on to the ad hominem" -- Christopher Hitchens, RIP

I'm just surprised to hear Jeff say that about florian...was he being ironic or did they have a fight I missed?

graz 01-12-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 236719)
I'm just surprised to hear Jeff say that about florian...was he being ironic or did they have a fight I missed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarkang (Post 236600)
It's probably not worth thinking about.

look 01-12-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 236720)

Shoo, fly.

graz 01-12-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 236721)
Shoo, fly.

:)
Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 236565)
Not interested in your horseshit, nor your insincere smilie.

Florian 01-12-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

I know. I have no intention of continuing a discussion with sugarkang in this forum. It is futile.

look 01-12-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarkang (Post 236718)
Hah. Not to worry.

Apologies, I misread Jeff's statement.

graz 01-12-2012 06:27 PM

Spidey sense amiss

Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 236725)
Apologies, I misread Jeff's statement.

Team allegiance and expectations are a known cause of reading comprehension fail. If it lasts any longer than four hours consider Obama ... again.

look 01-12-2012 06:29 PM

Re: Spidey sense amiss

Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 236726)
Team allegiance

Your field of expertise.

graz 01-12-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 236727)
Your field of expertise.

Perhaps so. But I'm proud of my cohorts -- names witheld to protect their innocence.

Whereas your greatest hits include the likes of The Original Axis of Evil:
Kidneystones, Whatfur, and Lyle. If one can be judged by the company they keep and defend? You put me at a great advantage.

look 01-12-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 236729)
Perhaps so. But I'm proud of my cohorts -- names witheld to protect their innocence.

Whereas your greatest hits include the likes of The Original Axis of Evil:
Kidneystones, Whatfur, and Lyle. If one can be judged by the company they keep and defend? You put me at a great advantage.

Blindspot much?

rfrobison 01-13-2012 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AemJeff (Post 236709)
Speaking of responses of which their nature never changes.

Added: Good grief, any grammar nazis want to help me with that sentence?

Speaking of responses whose nature never changes,...

NB: I am not taking a side in this latest spat, if that is the proper word, but I can't resist an invitation to copy edit. Occupational hazard.

AemJeff 01-13-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfrobison (Post 236762)
Speaking of responses whose nature never changes,...

NB: I am not taking a side in this latest spat, if that is the proper word, but I can't resist an invitation to copy edit. Occupational hazard.

Heh. That was my first draft of the damn sentence, but the "whose" bugged me and I was trying to solve it for "which" or "that."

badhatharry 01-13-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray in Seattle (Post 236682)
You would have just peed on the dumpster.

I almost did! But there certainly is an advantage being a guy sometimes!

rfrobison 01-13-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AemJeff (Post 236775)
Heh. That was my first draft of the damn sentence, but the "whose" bugged me and I was trying to solve it for "which" or "that."

Trust your instincts, Jeff.

Not that this would be of any interest to anyone other than editing nerds, but in addition to my previous suggestion, there are at least a couple of write-arounds that solve your problem without changing the meaning of the sentence too much:

1) Speaking of responses, the nature of which never changes,...

Personally I find that one a bit clunky, and many people get caught up in whether the verb should be a singular: nature>>changes, or responses>>change. I'm about 95 percent sure the verb is singular, but I wouldn't stake my life on it. Truth be told, I'm not much of a grammarian.

2) (The quick and dirty, deadline approaching method) Speaking of responses that never change,...

Many times cutting the Gordian knot is your best bet.

Geek session over. Anybody still awake out there?

AemJeff 01-13-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfrobison (Post 236793)
Trust your instincts, Jeff.

Not that this would be of any interest to anyone other than editing nerds, but in addition to my previous suggestion, there are at least a couple of write-arounds that solve your problem without changing the meaning of the sentence too much:

1) Speaking of responses, the nature of which never changes,...

Personally I find that one a bit clunky, and many people get caught up in whether the verb should be a singular: nature>>changes, or responses>>change. I'm about 95 percent sure the verb is singular, but I wouldn't stake my life on it. Truth be told, I'm not much of a grammarian.

2) (The quick and dirty, deadline approaching method) Speaking of responses that never change,...

Many times cutting the Gordian knot is your best bet.

:)

badhatharry 01-13-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfrobison (Post 236793)

Oh! I so admire grammar, especially the good type, even though I don't use it much.

...shamelessly fishing for compliments. anyone? anyone?

rfrobison 01-13-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 236800)
Oh! I so admire grammar, especially the good type, even though I don't use it much.

...shamelessly fishing for compliments. anyone? anyone?

Mmm, to rate a gold star you'll have to work on your capitalization skills. ;)

badhatharry 01-13-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfrobison (Post 236801)
Mmm, to rate a gold star you'll have to work on your capitalization skills. ;)

I just love capitalism!

I know, I changed it.

Cuter, huh?

Nothing matters anymore.):

They're cutting down on the oxygen.

I'm feeling a little faint.

Ray in Seattle 01-16-2012 03:44 PM

Why have there been no comments for three days? Must all comments be posted below the diavlog now? Or do we now all finally agree on everything? http://brainwaveweb.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

This is a test.

badhatharry 01-16-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray in Seattle (Post 236876)
Why have there been no comments for three days? Must all comments be posted below the diavlog now? Or do we now all finally agree on everything? http://brainwaveweb.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

This is a test.

Yep, everyone is voting for Romney.