Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   Diavlog comments (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The Week in Blog: Weiner-Free Edition (Bill Scher & Kristen Soltis) (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=6805)

Bloggingheads 06-09-2011 05:40 PM

The Week in Blog: Weiner-Free Edition (Bill Scher & Kristen Soltis)

Mari Dupont 06-09-2011 08:08 PM

Re: The Week in Blog: Weiner-Free Edition (Bill Scher & Kristen Soltis)

Jesus Christ, is Bill Scher such an authority worshiper that he couldnt cough up even the slightest bit of outrage over the SWAT team story? His response was beyond pathetic.
/rant

ohreally 06-09-2011 08:43 PM

Except for libertarian whack jobs, all good Americans worship armed authority. Cops and soldiers are our true heroes, dontcha know? Bagram, Gitmo, wiretapping, yeah, yeah, we don't like 'em much BUT they keep us safe, so we don't have to hide under our beds all day long.

When Bush was almost hit by a shoe, card-carrying liberal Rick Perlstein prayed that the shoe thrower would "go to jail for a rather long time." That's your American liberal: you don't show proper deference to authority, there's Rikers Island for you! And, sure enough, Clinton increased the prison population more than all post-WWII Republican presidents combined.

Bill Scher 06-09-2011 09:08 PM

Just doing my part to start a "liberals love law and order" stereotype.

I'll save my outrage for when I have all the facts, and find some related perspective, thanks.

badhatharry 06-09-2011 09:20 PM

Megan McArdle is such a bummer. She obviously doesn't appreciate the patriotic significance (wasn't that Bill's term?) of the auto bail outs.

Diane1976 06-09-2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohreally (Post 212380)
Except for libertarian whack jobs, all good Americans worship armed authority. Cops and soldiers are our true heroes, dontcha know? Bagram, Gitmo, wiretapping, yeah, yeah, we don't like 'em much BUT they keep us safe, so we don't have to hide under our beds all day long.

When Bush was almost hit by a shoe, card-carrying liberal Rick Perlstein prayed that the shoe thrower would "go to jail for a rather long time." That's your American liberal: you don't show proper deference to authority, there's Rikers Island for you! And, sure enough, Clinton increased the prison population more than all post-WWII Republican presidents combined.

I get the sense you're vaguely onto something. I recall reading about how a real left might be impossible in the US because of its, er imperialistic, role in the world (having more or less picked up where Britain left off). Any such movement would be squashed. It seems like a bit of a conspiracy theory, but it could be true. I always remember the cartoon on the contented cow conspiracy theory about the beef industry.

Diane1976 06-09-2011 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Scher (Post 212384)

I'll save my outrage for when I have all the facts, and find some related perspective, thanks.

Liberals are kind of obsessed with having all the facts and credible expertise, such as the weight of opinion in a given professional field, before they venture out on any limbs.

This is absolutely proper and right, but it's amazing how far the so-called conservatives of today can get without any facts, or making them up as they go along.

eeeeeeeli 06-10-2011 12:18 AM

Yes, teachers will keep getting screwed by Obama because everyone hates them. And everyone hates them because they do such a lousy job with our kids. Have you seen the test scores? Our precious, precious children.

The odd thing is: everyone seems to know exactly what needs to happen in education but the teachers. Why won't they listen? Everyone else seems to agree - the pundits, the media, the think tanks on the left and right, the public. How is it that the people who actually spend their days and nights worrying about teaching children just won't get it?

Oh yeah - it's their fat greedy salaries! Pshttt.... school teachers.

harkin 06-10-2011 12:27 AM

Another word for 'painful restructuring' of GM is rewarding the unions in return for campaign contributions and stiffing investors.....then going out and demonizing people with money who won't invest because they don't trust Obama. Pushing the envelope indeed.

They are continuing this incredibly destructive policy with Boeing and S Carolina.....and they still wonder why those with cash do not trust them at all.

Kristin (who usually seems either clueless or unwilling to correct Bill's BS) comes through this time. All Bill can counter with is that Obama's economy totally sucks so we have to keep throwing borrowed money at unions and pensions.

piscivorous 06-10-2011 03:11 AM

I was wondering how all those that had product liability suits against, the now restructured, Chrysler and GM. Ironic that their own tax dollars were used to reward the union auto workers and rescue the very corporations that screwed them in the first place.

Ocean 06-10-2011 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eeeeeeeli (Post 212400)
Yes, teachers will keep getting screwed by Obama because everyone hates them. And everyone hates them because they do such a lousy job with our kids. Have you seen the test scores? Our precious, precious children.

The odd thing is: everyone seems to know exactly what needs to happen in education but the teachers. Why won't they listen? Everyone else seems to agree - the pundits, the media, the think tanks on the left and right, the public. How is it that the people who actually spend their days and nights worrying about teaching children just won't get it?

Oh yeah - it's their fat greedy salaries! Pshttt.... school teachers.

It's just so easy for everybody to gang up on that one group. Anyone would think that they represent authority figures who used to rule many hours of everybody's childhood and that later on they receive the suppressed anger that has been kept so hidden in the subconscious mind.
... ...

Oh! Wait! Now that I think about it ...

badhatharry 06-10-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harkin (Post 212401)
Kristin (who usually seems either clueless or unwilling to correct Bill's BS) comes through this time. All Bill can counter with is that Obama's economy totally sucks so we have to keep throwing borrowed money at unions and pensions.

I think Kristen does a great job of countering Bill's points, usually. She's just nice about it.

badhatharry 06-10-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piscivorous (Post 212403)
I was wondering how all those that had product liability suits against, the now restructured, Chrysler and GM. Ironic that their own tax dollars were used to reward the union auto workers and rescue the very corporations that screwed them in the first place.

Just don't think about it.

badhatharry 06-10-2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eeeeeeeli (Post 212400)

Is Obama screwing the teachers? I didn't watch that part.

What do you think of Michelle Rhee?

badhatharry 06-10-2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean (Post 212405)
It's just so easy for everybody to gang up on that one group. Anyone would think that they represent authority figures who used to rule many hours of everybody's childhood and that later on they receive the suppressed anger that has been kept so hidden in the subconscious mind.
... ...

Oh! Wait! Now that I think about it ...

points to ponder.

DenvilleSteve 06-10-2011 09:40 AM

BTW, casualties of war continue in Afg and Iraq

this has got to be the worse lead country in history. Our soldiers continue to be killed in Iraq and Afg. For no apparant gain. Yet, back in the states, the casualties are pretty much ignored.

Here is a plan. Presumably the US is going to withdraw by the end of the year. At which point the Taliban retake control and resume terrorizing the population. Which causes a sizeable percentage of the population to want to take action to get rid of them. But, there are not enough American soldiers around to help, so those who want a civil society are denied that goal and the country proceeds to whatever comes next. The plan then is for the US to stop patroling now. Keep our people in protected garrisons. Then watch for what happens. If things fall apart, and the Taliban return, and the people want them gone, then the American soldiers are on site to take action and fight the Taliban on terms of our choosing.

eeeeeeeli 06-10-2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 212409)
Is Obama screwing the teachers? I didn't watch that part.

What do you think of Michelle Rhee?

Bill mentioned in passing that the one labor group Obama doesn't seem to mind needling is teachers. I think with other labor groups, their job is so much simpler, that supporting them is a no-brainer for Democrats. But education has become really messy. A huge ideological gulf has opened up between the Democratic establishment (which has essentially moved to the center-right, behind Republicans) and the teaching profession.

The one thing I'll admire about Michelle Rhee is her passion and desire to shake things up. But I find her tone and assumptions about the politics of teaching incredibly simplistic and condescending.

Which is my larger view of the education debate in general. You have this really complicated situation with a ton of variables and unknowns, and because it is so important (essentially about social justice writ large), people are open to incredibly disruptive and top-down "solutions" that have created both pedagogical as well as political havok throughout public education.

A ton of interest-groups have lined up behind incredibly rigid ideologies which are basically unproven, and require massive amounts of spin to keep afloat. The one optimistic take-away I still have is that the public seems to recognize more than ever the connection between freedom and human development. I just wish we'd move beyond asking one teacher with a class of 40+ to be the guarantor of American liberty.

operative 06-10-2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eeeeeeeli (Post 212412)
Bill mentioned in passing that the one labor group Obama doesn't seem to mind needling is teachers. I think with other labor groups, their job is so much simpler, that supporting them is a no-brainer for Democrats. But education has become really messy. A huge ideological gulf has opened up between the Democratic establishment (which has essentially moved to the center-right, behind Republicans) and the teaching profession.

Obama talks tough on teachers unions but when it mattered, he and the Democrats in the Congress bowed down to the teachers unions and killed the DC voucher program, denying low income children the opportunity to have a better education.

Quote:

The one thing I'll admire about Michelle Rhee is her passion and desire to shake things up. But I find her tone and assumptions about the politics of teaching incredibly simplistic and condescending.
I think it's necessary. You can't reason with teachers unions. You have to simply go at them head on.

Quote:

Which is my larger view of the education debate in general. You have this really complicated situation with a ton of variables and unknowns, and because it is so important (essentially about social justice writ large), people are open to incredibly disruptive and top-down "solutions" that have created both pedagogical as well as political havok throughout public education.
I don't think it's all that complicated. I've laid out my set of proposals before and they'd work. You don't necessarily need to completely abolish all public schools--just establishing school choice and forcing the public schools to compete against private schools would be enough to raise the education quality tremendously. But so long as there is no competition, and so long as you have the teachers unions running the show, you will not have change.

DenvilleSteve 06-10-2011 10:11 AM

Quote:

A ton of interest-groups have lined up behind incredibly rigid ideologies which are basically unproven, and require massive amounts of spin to keep afloat. The one optimistic take-away I still have is that the public seems to recognize more than ever the connection between freedom and human development. I just wish we'd move beyond asking one teacher with a class of 40+ to be the guarantor of American liberty.

I think at a minimum, people should have to pay what they can for the education of their children. Income over $150K, you pay the full tuition. Between $75 and $150K, you pay half price, or you get some sort of a loan to pay the tuition. The result would be more real competition and more accountability.

operative 06-10-2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diane1976 (Post 212396)
Liberals are kind of obsessed with having all the facts and credible expertise, such as the weight of opinion in a given professional field, before they venture out on any limbs.

This is absolutely proper and right, but it's amazing how far the so-called conservatives of today can get without any facts, or making them up as they go along.

That leads liberals to adopt groupthink more often than conservatives (see: education). The so-called experts in the education field are devoid of creativity, ingenuity, or sense. A group of political scientists or engineers are far more capable of improving the system than the group of fools teaching education in universities.

It's not unique to the education field. In any field there are going to be orthodoxies that develop whether they're valid or not, and most will be loath to reevaluate them. That's why it took Paul O'Neill, someone without a background in health care, to advance infection prevention in hospitals.

operative 06-10-2011 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diane1976 (Post 212391)
I get the sense you're vaguely onto something. I recall reading about how a real left might be impossible in the US because of its, er imperialistic, role in the world (having more or less picked up where Britain left off). Any such movement would be squashed. It seems like a bit of a conspiracy theory, but it could be true. I always remember the cartoon on the contented cow conspiracy theory about the beef industry.

I guess that depends on what you want to call a 'real' left (no true Scotsman). Leftist governments tend to quite like imperialism and hegemony--see Hugo Chavez's attempts at influencing the elections of surrounding countries.

I think the reason why a harder left movement can't have success right now is that we still have an individualistic and anti-authority spirit. Yes, we often make cops our heroes. But check out the movies--quite often it's the lone cop, going out on his own and beyond his orders--the authority gets in his way.

Now, compare that with the Euro welfare states that arrest people for saying things that they don't like, ban movies that they don't like, etc. You can not have leftist rule without a population that will submit itself to a tutelary authority.

badhatharry 06-10-2011 10:38 AM

Quote:

Rigid ideologies. I remember, when I was teaching, that the state would come out with these ginormous books of new standards every so often. These were presented to the teachers at the beginning of the year with the expectation that they would implement them during the year. First, what was the cost involved in the production of those tomes? Second, every good teacher I knew was already implementing what they knew worked with their particular students. The good ones didn't need a bunch of paperwork and guidelines to get them to teach well. I think they viewed all of this as a pain in the neck and an intrusion into their already burdened workload.

But it sure kept the folks in Sacramento employed. What a mess.

operative 06-10-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 212417)
Rigid ideologies. I remember, when I was teaching, that the state would come out with these ginormous books of new standards every so often. These were presented to the teachers at the beginning of the year with the expectation that they would implement them during the year. First, what was the cost involved in the production of those tomes? Second, every good teacher I knew was already implementing what they knew worked with their particular students. The good ones didn't need a bunch of paperwork and guidelines to get them to teach well. I think they viewed all of this as a pain in the neck and an intrusion into their already burdened workload.

But it sure kept the folks in Sacramento employed. What a mess.

The government quite enjoys maintaining inefficiencies to bolster their employment. It's why we don't have a better airport baggage check system (unlike some other countries), which would speed up the process and require fewer workers.

miceelf 06-10-2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 212416)
(no true Scotsman).

!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 212416)
Leftist governments tend to quite like imperialism and hegemony--see Hugo Chavez's attempts at influencing the elections of surrounding countries.

Ah, yes. Those imperialist Swedes.

bkjazfan 06-10-2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diane1976 (Post 212396)

It appears to me that those having uninformed opinions cover a broad ideological spectrum.

bkjazfan 06-10-2011 12:04 PM

Let's be fair here: if the government can save the banks they should also be able to do the same with Chrysler and GM. That said I wouldn't push the bragging rights on the apparent success of auto companies too much since there is still massive un and underemploymenet in the private sector.

Hopefully, there isn't a connection with the health of Wall Street and the jobs numbers since it appears the market is beginning to tank.

sugarkang 06-10-2011 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkjazfan (Post 212421)
Let's be fair here: if the government can save the banks they should also be able to do the same with Chrysler and GM.

Let's indeed be fair. They shouldn't save either. What was McArdle's number? $200K for each worker? Still, I think Scher and Soltis were relitigating issues that have already been put to bed. It is my understanding that the big problem during the crisis was that there was no bankruptcy mechanism to deal with these large corporations.

Having said that, I'm glad GM and Chrysler were saved. The economics of it still stink and I'm no Keynesian. However, there's something to be said about saving these two giants that go beyond an economist's valuation and/or the utility of money. These car companies are giant American symbols that are embedded in our national heritage. Losing them would have had a devastating cultural impact.

So, as a personal matter, I'm glad they were saved. I also know that this rationale is not legally, nor economically justifiable for crafting policy. Let's hope the safeguards are in place for the next time this happens.

badhatharry 06-10-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Quoting sugarkang: Let's indeed be fair. They shouldn't save either. What was McArdle's number? $200K for each worker? Still, I think Scher and Soltis were relitigating issues that have already been put to bed. It is my understanding that the big problem during the crisis was that there was no bankruptcy mechanism to deal with these large corporations.
$250,000. There was a bankruptcy mechanism. The government just custom reinvented it to benefit certain parties. For instance there was no reorganization of union benefits which is what happens in real bankruptcies. Hmmm, I wonder why. The reason it was brought up is because Obama is currently using it to show how successful it's been and by extension to show what an awesome president he's been.

Quote:

Having said that, I'm glad GM and Chrysler were saved. The economics of it still stink and I'm no Keynesian. However, there's something to be said about saving these two giants that go beyond an economist's valuation and/or the utility of money. These car companies are giant American symbols that are embedded in our national heritage. Losing them would have had a devastating cultural impact.
That's what Obama is counting on, a patriotic response to the mythology that surrounds the two 'giants'. They could have been saved by other means. Bankruptcy doesn't mean the company goes away. It gets restructured or parts get sold off. United Airlines went bankrupt and and it's still flying. They could have kept the names and the lines, if it was feasible to do so.

Jim Manzi weighs in.

piscivorous 06-10-2011 03:31 PM

Yea I'll just bury my head in the sand, on this issue, like all the pundits that sing it's praises with no acknowledgement of the people it screwed over.

Tara Davis 06-10-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Scher (Post 212384)

So the few facts that we have, that of door-kickers with guns raiding homes on behalf of the Department of Education, is not enough to spur outrage for you?

Maybe now that Balko is watching the watchers as a member of the HuffPo staff instead of with the libertarian crackpots at Reason, some liberals might finally start to notice that the US has morphed into a shockingly militarized police state over the past 20 years.

SWAT raids for non-violent offenders is pretty much the opposite of what I would call "law and order." It's a government of thuggery.

AemJeff 06-10-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tara Davis (Post 212434)
So the few facts that we have, that of door-kickers with guns raiding homes on behalf of the Department of Education, is not enough to spur outrage for you?

Maybe now that Balko is watching the watchers as a member of the HuffPo staff instead of with the libertarian crackpots at Reason, some liberals might finally start to notice that the US has morphed into a shockingly militarized police state over the past 20 years.

SWAT raids for non-violent offenders is pretty much the opposite of what I would call "law and order." It's a government of thuggery.

It would be good to know what warrants the "door-kickers" were holding, and what exactly "on behalf of the Department of Education" signifies before we exercised our preemptive outrage reflexes, wouldn't it?

badhatharry 06-10-2011 05:52 PM

Quote:

Maybe now that Balko is watching the watchers as a member of the HuffPo staff instead of with the libertarian crackpots at Reason, ...

This fairly drips of sarcasm. good job.

Wonderment 06-10-2011 07:33 PM

Re: BTW, casualties of war continue in Afg and Iraq

Quote:

this has got to be the worse lead country in history. Our soldiers continue to be killed in Iraq and Afg. For no apparant gain. Yet, back in the states, the casualties are pretty much ignored.
The USA is involved in at least 5 wars (Iraq, Afganistan, Pakistan, Yemen and Libya) with no end in sight. The Libya War -- a bipartisan folly -- was supposed to last a few days and protect citizens of Bengazi from genocide. That has since been proven to be a sick $650,000,000 (and counting) joke. Afghanistan costs several billion dollars per month.

As of now, there is no serious political movement to end these conflicts. Democrats' critique of neo-cons has turned out to be bogus and self-serving, while Republican rants about the deficit exempt 21st century warism, the biggest waste of money in the history of modern political economies.

Some Republicans are starting to listen to Rep. Dennis Kucinich and some Democrats have been listening to Rep. Ron Paul. I suggest you cease your secession fantasies and join the real rebs.

look 06-10-2011 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonderment (Post 212440)
The USA is involved in at least 5 wars (Iraq, Afganistan, Pakistan, Yemen and Libya) with no end in sight. The Libya War -- a bipartisan folly -- was supposed to last a few days and protect citizens of Bengazi from genocide. That has since been proven to be a sick $650,000,000 (and counting) joke. Afghanistan costs several billion dollars per month.

As of now, there is no serious political movement to end these conflicts. Democrats' critique of neo-cons has turned out to be bogus and self-serving, while Republican rants about the deficit exempt 21st century warism, the biggest waste of money in the history of modern political economies.

Some Republicans are starting to listen to Rep. Dennis Kucinich and some Democrats have been listening to Rep. Ron Paul. I suggest you cease your secession fantasies and join the real rebs.

What do you think of the tom-toms starting up again about bombing Iran?

Quote:

The former head of Israel's spy service has launched an unprecedented attack on the country's current government, describing it as "irresponsible and reckless", and has praised Arab attempts to reach an Israeli-Palestinian peace agreement."

"I decided to speak because when I was in office, Diskin, Ashkenazi and I could block any dangerous adventure. Now I am afraid that there is no one to stop Bibi [Netanyahu] and Barak," said Dagan.

Upon leaving his post, Dagan publicly warned against Israel attacking Iran to stop it from acquiring nuclear weapons.

In his latest comments, he said that if Israel attacks Iran, it will find itself at the centre of a regional war that would endanger the state's existence. Dagan's intervention is dangerous for Netanyahu because it comes from the right wing of Israeli opinion rather than the left, where the prime minister would expect criticism.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...s-mossad-chief

Wonderment 06-10-2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

What do you think of the tom-toms starting up again about bombing Iran?
I'm not too worried for now. That is, I'm not too worried at any given moment. However, Iran is one of several trains that Israel is on a collision course with.

Israel is like a mean and spoiled child prone to temper tantrums. His indulgent parents, the Republican and Democratic elites of the USA, coach his Little League team and are so afraid of what he might do if he doesn't get his way that they stop at nothing and stoop to anything to ensure that he always wins. They encourage him to play dirty, defend him violently when he cheats, and send out mobsters to intimidate all the other players, coaches and parents who dare to protest. The parents' friends (every other country on the Planet) have tried to reason with Mr. & Mrs. Republicrat, but they always reply, "You don't understand. He's really a good boy. The other kids gang up on him. They just hate him."

Tara Davis 06-10-2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 212437)
This fairly drips of sarcasm. good job.

Well-spotted. They say it's hard to convey via text. :)

badhatharry 06-10-2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonderment (Post 212443)
Israel is like a mean and spoiled child prone to temper tantrums. His indulgent parents, the Republican and Democratic elites of the USA, coach his Little League team and are so afraid of what he might do if he doesn't get his way that they stop at nothing and stoop to anything to ensure that he always wins. They encourage him to play dirty, defend him violently when he cheats, and send out mobsters to intimidate all the other players, coaches and parents who dare to protest. The parents' friends (every other country on the Planet) have tried to reason with Mr. & Mrs. Republicrat, but they always reply, "You don't understand. He's really a good boy. The other kids gang up on him. They just hate him."

I don't know if I agree with this but it is very clever.

joe_mask 06-10-2011 11:03 PM

So around 32:00 Kristen Soltis is going on and on about how the auto companies should have gone bankrupt and the "government not step in".

She, like so may conservatives, conveniently forget that the act of bankruptcy and the "veil" of corporate versus private or individual responsibility, is the biggest government intervention of all.

Imangine a world without limited liability for corporations and partnerships. Imagine the last crisis, only this time all the investment firm partners and corporate officers are on the line personally for all the money that really isn't there for the "insurance" or the "reserves" that these asshats claimed made their risky behaviour possible.

Torches and pitchforks time ladies and getlemen.

DenvilleSteve 06-11-2011 08:31 AM

Quote:

... SWAT raids for non-violent offenders is pretty much the opposite of what I would call "law and order." It's a government of thuggery.

to be fair, it is dangerous for law inforcement officials to enter the home, unannounced, of someone engaged in illegal activity. You don't know how they will react. You don't know what other illegal activity they may be engaged in. Maybe they could set up a safehouse across the street and conduct pre raid surveillance, but that would be too costly. At a minimum, don't be deceived by the activists and buy into the meme that the raided household's only offense was not paying their student loans on time.

DenvilleSteve 06-11-2011 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonderment (Post 212440)

the problem is, democrat people don't appreciate how harmful professional government is. They think if we just elect the right people, and all somehow stay involved, that big government can work well. There are a lot of people making a lot of money from the government. They are a formidible force and are not going to go away voluntarily. States opting out of the federal system is a big first step to bringing accountability and competition to the government sphere.