Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   Diavlog comments (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The Week in Blog: Lozenges Not Included (Bill Scher & Matt Lewis) (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=6664)

Florian 04-23-2011 02:57 PM

Re: The Week in Blog: Lozenges Not Included (Bill Scher & Matt Lewis)

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 205431)
Barack Obama, Ayn Rand:

Could you clarify what "collective" means in these two quotations? Obama seems to me to be saying nothing interesting, and Rand seems to me to be saying nothing intelligible. Institutions and organizations are obviously collective, while thoughts and actions are obviously individual.

Is Rand saying that anyone who thinks and acts as the member of an institution or organization is not acting and thinking as an individual?

operative 04-23-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handle (Post 205461)
Now you are supporting with links? Isn't this the kind of pigeonholing you should object to? Doesn't this expose most rebubs as non-intellectual?

Waaaiit....I get it.. you fancy yourself one of the puppet masters, and not one of the puppets, but the fact that you haven't reaped any of the benefits of the elite corporatists means you are just a groupie, right? And how's that workin' for ya?

Hey Denville, pretty sure this smug mormon guy thinks you are not so smart, and wants to cash in on manipulating you.

Sarcasm is better when it is clever, and you demonstrate a total lack of knowledge of what corporatism actually is. Barack Obama is far, far closer to a corporatist than the Koch brothers.

handle 04-23-2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 205467)
Sarcasm is better when it is clever, and you demonstrate a total lack of knowledge of what corporatism actually is. Barack Obama is far, far closer to a corporatist than the Koch brothers.

No sarcasm but you knew that, right? Such a cagey response.. because I nailed you on the groupie thing right? No wonder you are such a frustrated little guy.

Quote:

corporatism - control of a state or organization by large interest groups; "individualism is in danger of being swamped by a kind of corporatism"
Your cover story is individualism. Save it for the Denvilles.

operative 04-23-2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handle (Post 205468)
No sarcasm but you knew that, right? Such a cagey response.. because I nailed you on the groupie thing right? No wonder you are such a frustrated little guy.

Quote:

corporatism - control of a state or organization by large interest groups; "individualism is in danger of being swamped by a kind of corporatism"
Just because your cover story is individualism, I see through your obvious smokescreen.

You really should read more and speak less. If you read some Hayek, you would understand how utterly incompatible corporatism and classical liberalism are. As it stands now, you do not, nor do you see that the incestuous relationship between major Democrat leaders and certain favored corporations (GE, GM) is precisely the sort of affair that falls into the category of corporatism.

handle 04-23-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 205469)
You really should read more and speak less. If you read some Hayek, you would understand how utterly incompatible corporatism and classical liberalism are. As it stands now, you do not, nor do you see that the incestuous relationship between major Democrat leaders and certain favored corporations (GE, GM) is precisely the sort of affair that falls into the category of corporatism.

So reading more helps you generate better sounding bullshit? Sounds reasonable, I will accept your absurd posturing as proof of this. I'm more a proponent of objectivity, but you are a mind gamer, you seek to manipulate... typical conservative think tank methodology. Like I asked before... how's that workin' for ya?

handle 04-23-2011 04:13 PM

What, no more esoteric references to political texts? No more subterfuge, accusing the left of what the right is actually doing? Democrats = GE? GM? Seriously?

Jeez it's like you guys all wannabe Reagan, complete with the alzheimers. I got news for ya, it wasn't "morning in America" then, and it aint "morning in America" now. The vast frontier is no more, and hasn't been for well over a century. So while the "government is the problem" is an easy tool for manipulating and fleecing those who have not yet realized the game has changed, it can only work in the short term, and only serves to accelerate the scrapping and scavenging of this great experiment. Only through embracing the reality of the situation, and adjusting our strategies, can we begin to adapt, improvise, and overcome entropic decay, enabling us to reinvent, and revitalize ourselves.
So maybe you might consider becoming part of the solution? You could use your powers of bullshit for the forces of good!
Holding my breath!(That (last bit) was sarcasm)

Ocean 04-23-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Florian (Post 205462)
Could you clarify what "collective" means in these two quotations? Obama seems to me to be saying nothing interesting, and Rand seems to me to be saying nothing intelligible. Institutions and organizations are obviously collective, while thoughts and actions are obviously individual.

Is Rand saying that anyone who thinks and acts as the member of an institution or organization is not acting and thinking as an individual?

In my opinion what Rand says isn't unintelligible. It's plainly idiotic. It's material for adolescents that are discovering individualism and need to articulate reasons to be independent. Some people seem to get stuck in that phase or simply follow what their own collective tells them is cool. They don't even realize the intrinsic contradiction.

bjkeefe 04-23-2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Florian (Post 205462)
Could you clarify what "collective" means in these two quotations?

You must be dreaming. If she could, she would not have offered them as equivalent in the first place.

operative 04-23-2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean (Post 205477)
In my opinion what Rand says isn't unintelligible. It's plainly idiotic. It's material for adolescents that are discovering individualism and need to articulate reasons to be independent. Some people seem to get stuck in that phase or simply follow what their own collective tells them is cool. They don't even realize the intrinsic contradiction.

It seems to me that some on the right approach Rand as some on the left approach Marx: right on some things, a little off on others. Rand actually has some of the same flaws as Marx (reactionary, deterministic, exclusively materialistic), but she provides a window into a train of thought that some people might not otherwise peer into, and in that window are the true intellectual giants of the modern era--von Mises, Hayek, Buchanan, Tullock, etc.

bjkeefe 04-23-2011 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 205486)
It seems to me that some on the right approach Rand ...

More like, very few.

(Updated figures available.)

operative 04-23-2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 205492)
More like, very few.

(Updated figures available.)

I don't think FDL knows what they're talking about (par for the course). They highlight BOM observing that Atlas Shrugged is a niche movie...no, really? Shocking. Niche movies tend to do their best business on the Friday that they are released, because that relatively narrow band of fans has been waiting to run out and go see it. It will likely make more than its budget at the box office alone, and the DVD sales will probably be fairly significant. So, you can fully expect to see the next two installments appear in theaters. I doubt I'll watch any of the three, though.

eeeeeeeli 04-23-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 205467)

I was curious as to the disagreement here over corporatism. And voila, I learn something new from wikipedia!

Apparently I had been using the term incorrectly (mostly). I always thought the term to signify what wikipedia calls "corporatocracy". Instead, the correct usage is much more broad.

I can see how the term would be seen as opposite to classical liberalism. However, the actual reality of what I would argue classical liberalism leads to (for instance, monopolies) would seem to imply the "corporatocracy" usage. Definitely different terms though and an interesting difference.

Bill Scher 04-23-2011 11:27 PM

Thanks to all you concerned about my well-being!

Paagle, I have a Neti pot but I've been remiss in using it.

Harkin, I cracked open a jar of honey from my cousin/neighbor's beehive this morning. I think it worked!

bjkeefe 04-24-2011 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 205499)
I don't think FDL knows what they're talking about (par for the course). They highlight BOM observing that Atlas Shrugged is a niche movie...no, really? Shocking. Niche movies tend to do their best business on the Friday that they are released, because that relatively narrow band of fans has been waiting to run out and go see it. It will likely make more than its budget at the box office alone, ...

So far, they're only about a quarter of the way there ("Domestic Total as of Apr. 22, 2011: $2,523,000 (Estimate) ... Production Budget: $10 million"), and the trend is not in their favor. Like, way not:

Quote:

Faring even worse was Paul Johansson's Atlas Shrugged: Part I, which took in only $307k at 465 theaters, down an alarming 55% despite the fact that the right-wing favorite is screening at 50% more theaters than last week. Atlas Shrugged's per-theater average was a paltry $660.
But, you never know. Perhaps the Kochs or some other highly motivated ideologues will stealthily underwrite further distribution and ticket purchases. So, we'll just note your prediction about box office receipts for the record, as well as this one:

Quote:

So, you can fully expect to see the next two installments appear in theaters.

operative 04-24-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 205524)
So far, they're only about a quarter of the way there ("Domestic Total as of Apr. 22, 2011: $2,523,000 (Estimate) ... Production Budget: $10 million"), and the trend is not in their favor. Like, way not:

But, you never know. Perhaps the Kochs or some other highly motivated ideologues will stealthily underwrite further distribution and ticket purchases. So, we'll just note your prediction about box office receipts for the record, as well as this one:

Really now, if any successful people were to want to underwrite an effort, I think they would underwrite a better project than that one.

My guess is that the drop off will be less in its third week. For one thing, a lot of the Randian faithfuls will go see it three and four times. They're a small niche but they're out there. Also, you still have the overseas market, which ought to be good for another $3-5 million.

PS Calling it a 'right wing favorite' is a bit of a oversimplification. Opinion on Rand is pretty split in conservative circles.

bjkeefe 04-24-2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 205536)
Really now, if any successful people were to want to underwrite an effort, I think they would underwrite a better project than that one.

There is no accounting for taste, including among the rich. Somebody is paying to give all those books away.

Quote:

My guess is that the drop off will be less in its third week. For one thing, a lot of the Randian faithfuls will go see it three and four times. They're a small niche but they're out there. Also, you still have the overseas market, which ought to be good for another $3-5 million.

Predictions noted for the record.

I predict the drop-off will continue pretty much monotonically, and that the movie will not be shown in theaters in Europe.

Quote:

PS Calling it a 'right wing favorite' is a bit of a oversimplification. Opinion on Rand is pretty split in conservative circles.

I did not call it "a 'right wing favorite'."

operative 04-24-2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 205538)

I predict the drop-off will continue pretty much monotonically, and that the movie will not be shown in theaters in Europe.

Virtually all movies move monotonically, My Big Fat Greek Wedding exempted. We'll see if there's an increase or decrease in the rate; I wouldn't put money on it but the faithfulness of the Randians may outweigh the apparently rather lackluster quality (given the dearth of talent involved, no surprise) of the product.

Quote:

I did not call it "a 'right wing favorite'."
No I was criticizing the excerpted comments there.

bjkeefe 04-24-2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 205547)
Virtually all movies move monotonically, My Big Fat Greek Wedding exempted. [...]

My apologies. I misremembered your earlier statement ("My guess is that the drop off will be less in its third week."). In between reading and responding, I got it in my head that you were predicting an uptick in attendance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 205547)
No I was criticizing the excerpted comments there.

Proper attribution should never be neglected, especially when the lack of it suggests something misleading.

bjkeefe 04-24-2011 06:23 PM

More on THAT movie

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 205524)

Quote:

Faring even worse was Paul Johansson's Atlas Shrugged: Part I, which took in only $307k at 465 theaters, down an alarming 55% despite the fact that the right-wing favorite is screening at 50% more theaters than last week. Atlas Shrugged's per-theater average was a paltry $660.
But, you never know. Perhaps the Kochs or some other highly motivated ideologues will stealthily underwrite further distribution and ticket purchases.

And on a closely related note, this is taking chickenhawkery to a whole new level:

Quote:

A surprising number of the brethren admit the film stinks, but still direct their followers to pay for tickets to it in order to teach Hollyweird and Obama a lesson.
Intro here, full column here.

bjkeefe 04-27-2011 03:31 PM

Follow-up on the operative's predictions about the "Atlas Shrugged" movie

Quote:

[...] It will likely make more than its budget at the box office alone ... So, you can fully expect to see the next two installments appear in theaters.

Oops:

Quote:

Twelve days after opening “Atlas Shrugged: Part 1,” the producer of the Ayn Rand adaptation said Tuesday that he is reconsidering his plans to make Parts 2 and 3 because of scathing reviews and flagging box office returns for the film.

"Critics, you won," said John Aglialoro, the businessman who spent 18 years and more than $20 million of his own money to make, distribute and market "Atlas Shrugged: Part 1," which covers the first third of Rand's dystopian novel. "I’m having deep second thoughts on why I should do Part 2."
Also:

Quote:

... he is backing off an earlier strategy to expand "Atlas" to 1,000 screens ...
Going Galt, one might say.

(h/t: Jack Stuef)

P.S. Note that the $20 million budget is apparently not a typo. Box Office Mojo also reports that as the new working figure (old number here).

Quote:

Domestic Total as of Apr. 24, 2011: $3,096,815

[...]

Production Budget: $20 million

operative 04-27-2011 03:38 PM

Re: Follow-up on the operative's predictions about the "Atlas Shrugged" movie

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 205895)
Oops:

Also:

P.S. Note that the $20 million budget is apparently not a typo. Box Office Mojo also reports that as the new working figure (old number here).

http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showth...556#post205556

bjkeefe 04-27-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 205898)

operative 04-27-2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 205909)

And they'll keep coming till you admit that you were wrong.

popcorn_karate 04-27-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 205914)
And they'll keep coming till you admit that you were wrong.

he was wrong in saying "if X then possibly Y" when X never happened?

thats your big "gotcha"? seriously? maybe flesh-out more clearly what your accusation is and provide some direct quotes etc. I thought that link was going to take me to BJ saying something about Bush's culpability in 9/11 which I didn't see. maybe I missed something?

operative 04-27-2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popcorn_karate (Post 205917)
he was wrong in saying "if X then possibly Y" when X never happened?

He was wrong in claiming that he never claimed that he 'wouldn't be surprised' if Bush halted elections when, in fact, he did. And instead of simply admitting his fault, he let the crickets speak for him.

bjkeefe 04-27-2011 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 205895)
Quote:

[...] It will likely make more than its budget at the box office alone ... So, you can fully expect to see the next two installments appear in theaters.

Oops:

Quote:

Twelve days after opening “Atlas Shrugged: Part 1,” the producer of the Ayn Rand adaptation said Tuesday that he is reconsidering his plans to make Parts 2 and 3 because of scathing reviews and flagging box office returns for the film.

"Critics, you won," said John Aglialoro, the businessman who spent 18 years and more than $20 million of his own money to make, distribute and market "Atlas Shrugged: Part 1," which covers the first third of Rand's dystopian novel. "I’m having deep second thoughts on why I should do Part 2."
Also:

Quote:

... he is backing off an earlier strategy to expand "Atlas" to 1,000 screens ...

Quote:

Domestic Total as of Apr. 24, 2011: $3,096,815

[...]

Roy and commenters have picked up on this story. Snark at its finest ensues.

uncle ebeneezer 04-27-2011 07:45 PM

Oh geez. Atlas Shrugged banner at top of this thread!!

Isn't it time to change the name to "Viewers Shrugged" (I'm probably the 5 millionth person to make that joke)

thouartgob 04-27-2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 205952)
Roy and commenters have picked up on this story. Snark at its finest ensues.

from the blog link above:

Quote:

. I'm beginning to rethink this Aglialoro thing, thanks to commenter Brian H, who has discovered a 2007 Milford (MA) Daily News report on a Massachusetts Opportunity Relocation and Expansion grant bestowed upon Aglialoro's company, Cybex:

Quote:

Several officials noted the long process of the Medway Industrial Park project, which began in the 1970s. The town nearly lost Cybex, which recently opened a new $15 million facility in Minnesota.

"Cybex had been looking to state government for several years, or frankly, it had to leave,'' said John Aglialoro, Cybex's chairman and chief executive officer.

But within months of taking office, the [Derval] Patrick administration awarded Cybex one of the MORE grants, Aglialoro said.

"Our global competition would certainly maintain a dry eye if they learned the Medway facility was shut down,'' he said. "For America to compete effectively, businesses must work with local, state and federal entities.''
Doesn't sound lke the Rearden way to me. But I don't blame Aglialoro -- in fact, the more I think about it, the more I admire his nerve.
funny I grew up in medway years ago and never knew I was sooo close to an outstanding objectivist like aglialoro and now it seems like he is just another moocher.:-(

bjkeefe 04-28-2011 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thouartgob (Post 205978)
from the blog link above:

funny I grew up in medway years ago and never knew I was sooo close to an outstanding objectivist like aglialoro and now it seems like he is just another moocher.:-(

Heh, yes. That was supreme irony, wasn't it?

Of course, a die-hard Randian would say it was in his rational self-interest for him to grasp for all the money he could get, even if it was coming from the government. It's just wrong for everyone else to do it.

;)

bjkeefe 04-30-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

The second prediction has already been addressed. How about the money for the existing installment?

Well, here we are at the beginning of the third weekend in theaters. And it's not looking good for the first prediction either.

Total box office take for last night is down 58% compared to last Friday (which was itself down 54% compared to the previous Friday). Average receipts per screen were $350, compared to last week's average of $666.

What does that mean, NYPost?

Quote:

That means that at some locations, distributor Rocky Mountain Pictures will be writing checks to theaters to cover the difference between receipts and operating expenses.
Also, the number of screens is not exactly rushing toward the bragged-about 1000. Instead, nearly a hundred theaters have canned it -- the number of places to see it is down from 465 to 371.

Our story so far ...

Quote:

Domestic Total as of Apr. 29, 2011: $3,609,000 (Estimate)

[...]

(h/t: Charles P. Pierce and Will Bunch)

operative 04-30-2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 206447)
The second prediction has already been addressed. How about the money for the existing installment?

Well, here we are at the beginning of the third weekend in theaters. And it's not looking good for the first prediction either.

Total box office take for last night is down 58% compared to last Friday (which was itself down 54% compared to the previous Friday). Average receipts per screen were $350, compared to last week's average of $666.

What does that mean, NYPost?

Also, the number of screens is not exactly rushing toward the bragged-about 1000. Instead, nearly a hundred theaters have canned it -- the number of places to see it is down from 465 to 371.

Our story so far ...

(h/t: Charles P. Pierce and Will Bunch)

You're really obsessing over that movie. I think you have more interest in it at this point than some Objectivists.

handle 04-30-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 206455)
You're really obsessing over that movie. I think you have more interest in it at this point than some Objectivists.

Translation: Guess I was wrong... whatever.

operative 04-30-2011 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handle (Post 206457)
Translation: Guess I was wrong... whatever.

Basically.

bjkeefe 05-12-2011 03:28 PM

Re: Follow-up on [redacted]'s predictions about the "Atlas Shrugged" movie

Quote:

Originally Posted by (redacted out of pity) (Post 205499)
It will likely make more than its budget at the box office alone ...

Welp, another weekend has come and gone, and another one looms, so we better get the (belated) weekly update in!

Q: How did May 6-8 compare to April 29-May 1?

A: Total receipts from the most recent weekend were down 57.8% compared to the previous weekend, which itself was down 46.8% from the one before. Average take per screen was down nearly $400.

On top of that, the number of screens showing "Part 1" dropped by almost 150. The Race To 1000 Screens now stands at? 228!

Bottom line versus the quoted prediction thus far:

Quote:

Domestic Total as of May. 8, 2011: $4,340,855

[...]

Graphically:

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/5996/...mulativeta.png

operative 05-12-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 208597)
Welp, another weekend has come and gone, and another one looms, so we better get the (belated) weekly update in!

A: Total receipts from the most recent weekend were down 57.8% compared to the previous weekend, which itself was down 46.8% from the one before. Average take per screen was down nearly $400.

On top of that, the number of screens showing "Part 1" dropped by almost 150. The Race To 1000 Screens now stands at? 228!

Graphically:

Someone cares way too much..

bjkeefe 05-12-2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 208601)
Someone cares way too much..

Yep. And I'd say it's the guy who can't keep himself out of rapid response mode on this or any other point.

bjkeefe 05-12-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Graphically:

But I bet I know someone who has gone to see this movie nine or eleven times: Ayn Rand Paul!

bjkeefe 05-13-2011 06:31 PM

Quote:

[... (previously)... ]

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/5996/...ativeta.th.png But wait! We could be in for a Surge® at the box office this weekend. Because why? Because:

Quote:

Quote:

The Ronald Reagan Foundation awarded “Atlas Shrugged Part 1” with its inaugural Ronald Reagan Great Communicator Award.

And if they can write press releases that well, just imagine what they can do for rejuvenating turnout! It's Friday night (Morning™) in America all over again!

operative 05-13-2011 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 208858)
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/5996/...ativeta.th.png But wait! We could be in for a Surge® at the box office this weekend. Because why? Because:

And if they can write press releases that well, just imagine what they can do for rejuvenating turnout! It's Friday night (Morning™) in America all over again!

BJ cares more about the movie than the most devoted Randian.

TwinSwords 05-13-2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 208858)
It's Friday night (Morning™) in America all over again!

Friday night is fucking awesome.