Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   Life, the Universe and Everything (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Apparently, if you notice these things you’re just being a hateful racist (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=6882)

AemJeff 07-11-2011 03:41 PM

Apparently, if you notice these things you’re just being a hateful racist

h/t edroso, who notes:
Quote:

You probably know that, over the past few decades, crime rates in America's major cities have dropped sharply. New York, which was once a symbol of urban menace, is particularly safe, and tourists freely roam Bed-Stuy and Central Park at night. Even historically troubled Oakland has recently seen its crime rates fall.
But nevetheless our brave RightBloggers can find a way to interpret a few incidents in a way that isn't "Raaaaaacist!" at all!

Quote:

Apparently, if you notice these things you’re just being a hateful racist

Another “Mysterious” Flashmob Swarms & Destroys a Dunkin’ Donuts in Manhattan

Quote:

When I saw the Drudge headline that a group of teens rioted in a Manhattan Dunkin’ Donuts shop, I knew before I saw the video “who” those rioting punks were going to be. And so did you. And…yep…they’re a bunch of black kids, acting like animals and criminals while terrorizing the public.

Pack of Black Thugs Destroy a NY Dunkin’ Donuts Store…Just Because They Can
Quote:

The missing word is “black,” These aren’t “kids,” they are black kids - which seems to be the case with almost all of these sorts of attacks popping up on YouTube

Teens Target Manhattan Businesses

Quote:

The Frankenstein monster of perpetually aggrieved blacks who have been brainwashed into considering themselves entitled to anything and everything is breaking loose from the liberal social engineering laboratory. Since it's racist to examine the nature of these crimes, don't expect to see them solved, much less prevented.
How to Shop for Donuts in Fundamentally Transformed America
Of course no such collection would be complete without an offering from Stacy:
Quote:

Writing something like that should elicit accusations of “raaaaacism” — from white liberals who wouldn’t dare set foot in Milwaukee after dark. Liberals constantly patrol the Internet looking for opportunities to shriek “raaaaacist” at conservatives, rather than concerning themselves with the actual (and more dangerous) racism of “youths” engaged in mob violence.

Vox Day’s blog has never punched anybody in the face. Or looted a convenience store, for that matter. Just sayin’ . .
Milwaukee Celebrated 4th of July With Fireworks, Looting, Racial Mob Violence
Can I get a "Heh!?" Well, whaddaya know?

Quote:

Welcome, Instapundit readers!
These guys just can't seem to help it! Or maybe they're just misunderstood.

sugarkang 07-11-2011 04:51 PM

Re: Apparently, if you notice these things you’re just being a hateful racist

One ought to make distinctions about racism, particularly because the term is used as if it had a singular meaning.

There are traditional, Jim Crow era notions of racism with criminal implications;
There are non-criminal, racial preferences leading to gentrification and/or segregation;
There are bayesian inferences based on empirical data;
There is Glenn Beck;
There is the equivalent on the opposite side of the political spectrum;
And finally, there are those who see adversaries as sub-human, use their anger to justify a lack of empathy and engage in Nazi logic.
When armed with guns and self-righteousness, this can lead to disastrous results.

graz 07-11-2011 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarkang (Post 216307)
One ought to make distinctions about racism, particularly because the term is used as if it had a singular meaning.

There are traditional, Jim Crow era notions of racism with criminal implications;
There are non-criminal, racial preferences leading to gentrification and/or segregation;
There is Glenn Beck;
And finally, there are those who see adversaries as sub-human, use their anger to justify a lack of empathy and engage in Nazi logic.
When armed with guns and self-righteousness, this can lead to disastrous results.

Geez Wally, I never thought of that.

AemJeff 07-11-2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 216309)

It's strangely funny, isn't it? I perceive an apparently earnest desire to appear erudite and measured unnecessarily undermined by curious stylistic choices like the substitution of YouTube references (not that there's anything wrong with that!) for anything like an argument and the weirdly Tourette's-ish (and drearily repetitive) impulse toward Godwin violations. But at least there was a helpful definition of Bayesian inference, just in case I hadn't thought of that!

miceelf 07-11-2011 06:12 PM

I have to admit, Sugar, as much as I like you in general, i find your comparison of accusations of racism to Nazism very difficult to figure out.
Unlike most of what you say, which I can figure out even if I don't agree, on this one, I just don't see it at all.

look 07-11-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miceelf (Post 216317)
I have to admit, Sugar, as much as I like you in general, i find your comparison of accusations of racism to Nazism very difficult to figure out.
Unlike most of what you say, which I can figure out even if I don't agree, on this one, I just don't see it at all.

Let me try. There's a strain of race-baiting by some here, especially TwinSwords and Jeff. TS directed this post at me on a day that I had said to graz, 'if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem':

http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showpo...4&postcount=10

He put it in a completely unrelated thread, a Bob foreign policy thread, I assume so he wouldn't get dinged for calling me a racist.

In a discussion yesterday, Jeff refused to clarify his position:

http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=6875

and now he's loaded for bear and wants to start something in this thread.

The presidential election is fast approaching, and if we don't guard against it, some here will try to make a lot of the campaign season here about race and class.

So sugarkang is trying to draw a parallel between the race-baiting thought police here and the Nazis branding Jews as subhuman. That is, we're being falsely labeled as immoral, and we do not like it.

eeeeeeeli 07-11-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarkang (Post 216307)

There is Glenn Beck;

Yeah, I'm not sure what all of this is. I clicked on the Nazi link and was hopelessly confused.

I do think it is important to make distinctions about racism. As well as other varieties you didn't mention, there's the whole unconscious thing where any of these elements can be lurking and metastasizing in an orgy of epic cognitive failure.

graz 07-11-2011 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 216318)
The presidential election is fast approaching, and if we don't guard against it, some here will try to make a lot of the campaign season here about race and class.

So sugarkang is trying to draw a parallel between the race-baiting thought police here and the Nazis branding Jews as subhuman. That is, we're being falsely labeled as immoral, and we do not like it.

And once gain the hall monitor returns. Resplendent with gripes, grudges, and historical revision.

So are you a preemptive scud missile clearing the way for more race-baiting of the overt as well as hidden variety?

SK offered a dog whistle that only you could hear. Coincidence? I don't think so.

miceelf 07-11-2011 06:50 PM

Quote:

Let me try. There's a strain of race-baiting by some here, especially TwinSwords and Jeff. TS directed this post at me on a day that I had said to graz, 'if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem':

http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showpo...4&postcount=10

Perhaps my context dependent threading ability is limited, but on that thread, TS was responding to the initial post, not to you. It may have been directed at you, I don't know.

Quote:

The charges of racism at specific people are either fair or not fair, accurate or not accurate, and reasonable or not reasonable. They aren't any different than any other charge. Most people don't respond to the frequent "class warfare" charge that some on the right make against some on the left (one that can also be fair or unfair, etc) with an analogy to Nazism; instead they focus on whether it is accurate in that specific instance. The leap to Naziism seems dramatically overblown to me.

As to whether the election is about race and class- well, again- the charge that it's about class doesn't seem any less unfair than the charge that it's about race, but the right seem happy to make that claim (I should also point out that the charge that the election was about race was one that some on the right were quite happy to make in the last presidential election- several argued that Obama only won because he was Black- do I really have to dig up the links?). And, again, it's a proposition that may or may not be true, depending on what happens and one's assessment of that. I don't see how such a claim is out of bounds necessarily, given that it's possible to be true in some circumstances.

eeeeeeeli 07-11-2011 06:51 PM

I've long nursed a theory that apart from whatever cultural biases towards hatred exist (manifested in racism and other -isms), there is a certain interpretation of conservatism that leads directly to a logic of racism. It is based on the idea that inequality among minorities is a result of their racial or ethnic heritage. The former is strictly racist, the latter more of an unconscious bias, which of course is just as much a part of racism as that which makes its way to conscious awareness and acceptance.

Of course, it is certainly possible to not take this interpretation of conservatism. There are other explanations for minority inequality that conservatism can, if not explain, co-exist with.

What I find interesting is that opposition to this claim often relies on a sort of reverse argument-from-consequence. Because, according to this logical fallacy, a consequence of conservatism undermines its validity. This would be true if this were the only valid interpretation of conservatism. But it is not. It does not have to be the consequence.

And yet it so often is the consequence - this tendency towards racial bias - in a spectrum of ways, to much greater degree on the political and social right. Everything from the blatant KKK member to the "weekend" racist, who number so substantially in Aemjeff's post - and who we've all encountered amongst conservatives everywhere.

Here's a thought: there are certainly plenty of liberals with racial bias, however they would be horrified to admit it (wouldn't we all?). But anyhow you just don't see it very often at all. I mean, as a challenge, go out and try and find examples of racism towards minorities* on the internet.

(* Let's not even get into the weaksauce reverse-racism crap because its just so trite. It is rarely about cognitive bias or historical oppression - those things that have always driven out-group hostility.)

So why is it so hard to find liberals willing to say racist - or apparently racist) things about minorities, even if they really think/feel them? And here's the kicker: what is it about conservatism that makes conservatives obviously feel more comfortable with it? I think I have a good idea, but I'll just put it out there for now!

look 07-11-2011 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miceelf (Post 216321)
Perhaps my context dependent threading ability is limited, but on that thread, TS was responding to the initial post, not to you. It may have been directed at you, I don't know.

The charges of racism at specific people are either fair or not fair, accurate or not accurate, and reasonable or not reasonable. They aren't any different than any other charge. Most people don't respond to the frequent "class warfare" charge that some on the right make against some on the left (one that can also be fair or unfair, etc) with an analogy to Nazism; instead they focus on whether it is accurate in that specific instance. The leap to Naziism seems dramatically overblown to me.

As to whether the election is about race and class- well, again- the charge that it's about class doesn't seem any less unfair than the charge that it's about race, but the right seem happy to make that claim (I should also point out that the charge that the election was about race was one that some on the right were quite happy to make in the last presidential election- several argued that Obama only won because he was Black- do I really have to dig up the links?). And, again, it's a proposition that may or may not be true, depending on what happens and one's assessment of that. I don't see how such a claim is out of bounds necessarily, given that it's possible to be true in some circumstances.

Thanks for your thoughts, I get what you are saying, so I will just clarify that it's very uncomfortable to have judgements made on you in such a hostile, unfair manner. As for 'Nazi,' it's a comparison, not a direct analogy. 'Thought police' and being judged as immoral are the take-away thoughts.

look 07-11-2011 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 216320)
And once gain the hall monitor returns. Resplendent with gripes, grudges, and historical revision.

So are you a preemptive scud missile clearing the way for more race-baiting of the overt as well as hidden variety?

SK offered a dog whistle that only you could hear. Coincidence? I don't think so.

You and the gang really live for this horseshit. How does it feel to be one of the flies to TS's lord?

graz 07-11-2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 216324)
Thanks for your thoughts, I get what you are saying, so I will just clarify that it's very uncomfortable to have judgements made on you in such a hostile, unfair manner.

If the glove don't fit, we will acquit.

AemJeff 07-11-2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eeeeeeeli (Post 216322)
I've long nursed a theory that apart from whatever cultural biases towards hatred exist (manifested in racism and other -isms), there is a certain interpretation of conservatism that leads directly to a logic of racism. It is based on the idea that inequality among minorities is a result of their racial or ethnic heritage. The former is strictly racist, the latter more of an unconscious bias, which of course is just as much a part of racism as that which makes its way to conscious awareness and acceptance.

Of course, it is certainly possible to not take this interpretation of conservatism. There are other explanations for minority inequality that conservatism can, if not explain, co-exist with.

What I find interesting is that opposition to this claim often relies on a sort of reverse argument-from-consequence. Because, according to this logical fallacy, a consequence of conservatism undermines its validity. This would be true if this were the only valid interpretation of conservatism. But it is not. It does not have to be the consequence.

And yet it so often is the consequence - this tendency towards racial bias - in a spectrum of ways, to much greater degree on the political and social right. Everything from the blatant KKK member to the "weekend" racist, who number so substantially in Aemjeff's post - and who we've all encountered amongst conservatives everywhere.

Here's a thought: there are certainly plenty of liberals with racial bias, however they would be horrified to admit it (wouldn't we all?). But anyhow you just don't see it very often at all. I mean, as a challenge, go out and try and find examples of racism towards minorities* on the internet.

(* Let's not even get into the weaksauce reverse-racism crap because its just so trite. It is rarely about cognitive bias or historical oppression - those things that have always driven out-group hostility.)

So why is it so hard to find liberals willing to say racist - or apparently racist) things about minorities, even if they really think/feel them? And here's the kicker: what is it about conservatism that makes conservatives obviously feel more comfortable with it? I think I have a good idea, but I'll just put it out there for now!

I agree with much of this. "Conservatism" and "racism" are obviously far too broad as descriptors to be useful in any sort of analysis. It's also true that racism isn't the sole province of conservatism in any form. I'm not sure I'm up to the challenge of trying to clearly define how some forms of conservatism and racism might be compatible with one another; but conservatism often implies strong in-group bonds, adherence to tradition - general distrust of difference or change. (Obviously that's not a complete or a universally true assertion.)

My personal beef is with so-called "scientific racists" - the guys who tell you that some races are on the average stupider than others - but it's ok, because although they're not too bright, they sure can run fast! Steve Sailer, whose name comes up from time to time, is an exemplar. Here's some of what I've previously posted about Sailer, for reference.)

I also have a problem with the cynical use of white racial resentment by political parties in the U.S. - and one reason why there's a relationship between conservatives and racism in this nation, at this time, is the direct result of Nixon's Southern Strategy response to the Civil Rights Act, and the realignment caused by that legislation including the flight of southern white racists from the Democratic party to the Republicans. It's virtually certain that somebody will point out that the Democrats aren't exactly innocent of the cynical use of racial resentment, and assert a morally equivalence. I say that's not the case (though that doesn't excuse the Democrats.) I think the specific history of slavery and racism in this country has placed a far greater moral burden on the actions of the majority wrt to everyone else - especially black people.

sugarkang 07-11-2011 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miceelf (Post 216317)

Okay, let me try to separate out concepts because these words are very charged and can mean different things. I think look mentioned Thought Police as being more apt, and perhaps that would make more sense.

As I've mentioned in another thread, it's not as if I think Jeff is a real life Nazi. For all the bile that he spews, I think his urge for sweetcakes supersedes his murderous desires. There are many things needed to be a bona-fide Nazi. Jeff only has a few characteristics, not all.

First, I'd say look at my previous post detailing Jeff's rants about Steve Sailer. Look at what Steve Sailer actually said about Citizenism or whatever stupid shit that the guy believes. Take a look at the words actually said and tell me if you can definitively say whether Sailer is a racist or not. I, personally, think it's possible that he's a racist, but I wouldn't go around pointing fingers saying I know for sure.

If you're reasonable, and I think you are, you'd probably have suspicions like I do, but you wouldn't be able to say if Sailer's a racist for sure. It's plausible he's a racist; it's not a slam dunk case that he's a racist. Then compare what Jeff says. Jeff claims that Sailer is absolutely, positively, without a doubt racist. Why? Because Sailer denies that he's racist!

This logic amounts to: she's clearly guilty because she's denying it.

This is the same kind of murderous logic that would convict Casey Anthony without having a proper theory as to how Caylee died. My analysis doesn't end here.

miceelf 07-11-2011 07:58 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your thoughts, I get what you are saying, so I will just clarify that it's very uncomfortable to have judgements made on you in such a hostile, unfair manner. As for 'Nazi,' it's a comparison, not a direct analogy. 'Thought police' and being judged as immoral are the take-away thoughts.

Isn't "thought police" a similar hostile, potentially unfair judgment? not to mention "similar in some ways to Nazis"? (and, like I said, originally, class warrior).

look 07-11-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miceelf (Post 216344)
Isn't "thought police" a similar hostile, potentially unfair judgment? not to mention "similar in some ways to Nazis"? (and, like I said, originally, class warrior).

Gotcha...just keep your eyes peeled as the election approaches.

TwinSwords 07-11-2011 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarkang (Post 216340)
Jeff claims that Sailer is absolutely, positively, without a doubt racist. Why? Because Sailer denies that he's racist!

This logic amounts to: she's clearly guilty because she's denying it.

I'm guessing you can't point to a post by Jeff in which he makes this argument. You know why? Because it's bullshit. What interests me is whether you really believe it.

Jeff believes that Sailer is a racist because of the things Sailer says. It's that simple.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarkang (Post 216340)
This is the same kind of murderous logic that would convict Casey Anthony without having a proper theory as to how Caylee died.

Hysterical. In both senses.

AemJeff 07-11-2011 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinSwords (Post 216347)
I'm guessing you can't point to a post by Jeff in which he makes this argument. You know why? Because it's bullshit. What interests me is whether you really believe it.

Jeff believes that Sailer is a racist because of the things Sailer says. It's that simple.

Aren't you supposed to be lording it over graz's flies or something?

TwinSwords 07-11-2011 08:11 PM

Quote:

Let me try. There's a strain of race-baiting by some here, especially TwinSwords and Jeff. TS directed this post at me on a day that I had said to graz, 'if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem'

You're lying again, look. That post had nothing to do with you. I had read about the racist dog whistling at Fox News on a blog, and came here to post it in the forum. The universe does not revolve around you, and the fact is that I think about you a whole lot less than you wish I did.

Quote:

He put it in a completely unrelated thread, a Bob foreign policy thread, I assume so he wouldn't get dinged for calling me a racist.

Wait. What? You think I called you a racist? Maybe you can point out where I did that.

sugarkang 07-11-2011 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinSwords (Post 216347)

You are blinded by your own tribalism. It's one thing to suspect and be on guard for injustice. It's another to casually throw around a charged term to shut down debate. If Jon Stewart can see the injustice in this, why can't you? Back to the first sentence of this paragraph.
http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showpo...8&postcount=43

miceelf 07-11-2011 08:15 PM

I am not clear why I need to limit my evaluation of whether sailer is racist to one very limited set of his public utterances.

i find this recent post pretty at least indicative of racism (I understand that people have different thresholds and working definitions. But I don't see how it's crazy to evaluate him as racist, regardless of whether he claims he isn't.)

http://isteve.blogspot.com/2011/07/n...ng-blacks.html

Just one example. It's hard to find a post of his about race (and there are many) that isn't a variation on "Black people (or Mexicans) are bad"
I can understand why someone else might come to a different conclusion, but I honestly don't see the conclusion I come to as as crazy as (say) my preference for frost over arcane wizards, or liking pineapple on my pizza.

look 07-11-2011 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AemJeff (Post 216337)
I agree with much of this. "Conservatism" and "racism" are obviously far too broad as descriptors to be useful in any sort of analysis. It's also true that racism isn't the sole province of conservatism in any form. I'm not sure I'm up to the challenge of trying to clearly define how some forms of conservatism and racism might be compatible with one another; but conservatism often implies strong in-group bonds, adherence to tradition - general distrust of difference or change. (Obviously that's not a complete or a universally true assertion.)

My personal beef is with so-called "scientific racists" - the guys who tell you that some races are on the average stupider than others - but it's ok, because although they're not too bright, they sure can run fast! Steve Sailer, whose name comes up from time to time, is an exemplar. Here's some of what I've previously posted about Sailer, for reference.)

I also have a problem with the cynical use of white racial resentment by political parties in the U.S. - and one reason why there's a relationship between conservatives and racism in this nation, at this time, is the direct result of Nixon's Southern Strategy response to the Civil Rights Act, and the realignment caused by that legislation including the flight of southern white racists from the Democratic party to the Republicans. It's virtually certain that somebody will point out that the Democrats aren't exactly innocent of the cynical use of racial resentment, and assert a morally equivalence. I say that's not the case (though that doesn't excuse the Democrats.) I think the specific history of slavery and racism in this country has placed a far greater moral burden on the actions of the majority wrt to everyone else - especially black people.

So what you want to talk about is racist scientists. Did you really have to kick off the thread with a provocative title to insite hard feelings? That is what I mean by the race-baiting you and some do here.

TwinSwords 07-11-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your thoughts, I get what you are saying, so I will just clarify that it's very uncomfortable to have judgements made on you in such a hostile, unfair manner.

That is, in the hostile, unfair manner that you completely dreamed up.

look 07-11-2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinSwords (Post 216349)
You're lying again, look. That post had nothing to do with you. I had read about the racist dog whistling at Fox News on a blog, and came here to post it in the forum. The universe does not revolve around you, and the fact is that I think about you a whole lot less than you wish I did.

Wait. What? You think I called you a racist? Maybe you can point out where I did that.

:)

TwinSwords 07-11-2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AemJeff (Post 216348)
Aren't you supposed to be lording it over graz's flies or something?

Done lording for the day. Finished early! ;-)

look 07-11-2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinSwords (Post 216356)
That is, in the hostile, unfair manner that you completely dreamed up.

:)

graz 07-11-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 216326)
You and the gang really live for this horseshit. How does it feel to be one of the flies to TS's lord?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinSwords (Post 216349)
Wait. What? You think I called you a racist?

Flie: Lord?

Lord: Yes my flie?

Flie: I would venture that her reply would have to be.

AemJeff 07-11-2011 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 216355)
So what you want to talk about is racist scientists. Did you really have to kick off the thread with a provocative title to insite hard feelings? That is what I mean by the race-baiting you and some do here.

Did you notice that it was a direct quote from Jim Hoft (Gateway Pundit)? (That I helpfully left in a pull in the original post!) Of course it was race-baiting - that was Hoft's obvious intention, shared with every one of the bloggers whom I quoted later in that post.

sugarkang 07-11-2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miceelf (Post 216354)
I am not clear why I need to limit my evaluation of whether sailer is racist to one very limited set of his public utterances.

You don't have to. I'm saying that it's not clear that he's racist. I'm saying you can't be sure. From the blog post you linked:

Quote:

If more whites murdered more blacks, then more whites could be executed for murdering blacks, which would move us closer to racial equality, thus making the death penalty less racist. And that's the really important thing.
This is mathematical logic. I'm assuming he wants more death penalty (which I oppose). But it clearly moves against racism, if anything. People have completely lost their minds when trying to evaluate racism. They are frequently confusing form and substance.

But again, it's not about racism. It's about logic. Evaluate Jeff's logic. Do you know what a person is thinking? What racist thoughts lurk in another man's mind? Jeff does.

Thought Police. Nazi. Typical authoritarian statist. Whatever.

look 07-11-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AemJeff (Post 216361)
Did you notice that it was a direct quote from Jim Hoft (Gateway Pundit)? (That I helpfully left in a pull in the original post!) Of course it was race-baiting - that was Hoft's obvious intention, shared with every one of the bloggers whom I quoted later in that post.

Okay. By all means, continue on as you have been. Don't improve the dialog, just emote and simmer.

graz 07-11-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 216363)
Okay. By all means, continue on as you have been.

It's tough to know where to draw the line. When one has to contend with for instance, the unassailable mathematical logic of the SK, who contends that since you can't prove racism it's a fools errand ... what is one to do?

You choose avoidance ... that's not gonna cut it for most sentient beings.

TwinSwords 07-11-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarkang (Post 216350)
It's one thing to suspect and be on guard for injustice.

You're obviously not familiar with Sailer's work. Either that or you're totally oblivious to clear racism.

Quote:

It's another to casually throw around a charged term to shut down debate.

It's not thrown around casually. Jeff "throws it around" carefully, and accurately. Familiarize yourself with the subject matter. Why you would want to be seen defending Sailer, or the others you defend, is beyond my understanding.

Regarding your claim that it's intended to shut down debate, two points. First of all, this is a debate you seem to gravitate to. Nothing seems to charge you up quite like attacking liberals for being opposed to racism, for calling out racism when they see it. So, far from "shutting down debate," Jeff seems to be giving you the thing you crave: a chance to tell liberals to stuff it for being such tight asses about racism all the time.

Second, Jeff doesn't have the ability to shut down debate. In fact, Jeff knows perfectly well that every time he speaks out against racism, there will be a torrent of abuse directed at him from conservatives -- conservatives who, for whatever odd reason, become enraged at liberal criticism of racism. This has been the pattern in this forum for years. So, your claim that Jeff is trying to shut down debate when he knows the opposite will happen is both spurious and transparently false. If anyone is trying to shut down debate, it's you, for demonizing Jeff and others who take a principled stand against racism -- racism which exists, whether you are willing to acknowledge it or not.

Quote:

If Jon Stewart can see the injustice in this, why can't you?

Oh, Jon Stewart is on your side in this debate, is he? LOL.

look 07-11-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 216360)

http://www.mediaite.com/wp-content/u...9/07/goyle.jpg

TwinSwords 07-11-2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 216360)

Hehe.

Great song. And perfect for the occasion.

look 07-11-2011 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 216364)
It's tough to know where to draw the line. When one has to contend with for instance, the unassailable mathematical logic of the SK, who contends that since you can't prove racism it's a fools errand ... what is one to do?

You choose avoidance ... that's not gonna cut it for most sentient beings.

I know you have problems with differentiation, being so immersed in the gang, and all, but why don't you address sk's points to sk?

As far as avoidance, ramping up emotion on a message board is sheer self-indulgence.

miceelf 07-11-2011 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarkang (Post 216362)
But again, it's not about racism. It's about logic. Evaluate Jeff's logic. Do you know what a person is thinking? What racist thoughts lurk in another man's mind? Jeff does.

Thought Police. Nazi. Typical authoritarian statist. Whatever.

I just don't see how it's inappropriate to make evaluative statements about someone's behavior. Calling someone dumb or ignorant isn't thought policing either, although there's the existential quesiton as to whether the person who says and does dumb things is really dumb or engaging in elaborate performance art or whathave you. People make inferences about the internal states of each other all the time. And that's assuming that "racist" is a label denoting an internal state, rather than a pattern of behavior and speech.

graz 07-11-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 216368)
... emotion on a message board is sheer self-indulgence ...

The rest home awaits ... bon voyage ... go with the vanilla.

graz 07-11-2011 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 216368)
As far as avoidance ...

I tried to avoid posting this: They were just sayin' .

Then I realized the humanity in removing the plank. There's hope.

look 07-11-2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 216376)
I tried to avoid posting this: They were just sayin' .

Then I realized the humanity in removing the plank. There's hope.

I thought you were leaving.