Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   Stupid pointless flame wars (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   from Loury & Wax (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=6152)

ledocs 10-18-2010 10:08 AM

from Loury & Wax

Quote:

Have you any actual knowledge about Israel? Its politics are among the most secular in the world. Its policies are rather liberal socially--on abortion, gay rights, etc.
Can you read, you moron? No, you cannot. As I have said more than once, I wish the censors would censor stupidity. You are revolting.

Oh, and by the way, Israeli politics are not among the most secular in the world. That is preposterous.

operative 10-18-2010 10:14 AM

Re: Communitas: Continuing the Race Conversation (Glenn Loury & Amy Wax)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ledocs (Post 183401)
Can you read, you moron?

Mature.

Quote:

You are revolting.
Again, mature. Your petulance is unbecoming.

Quote:

Oh, and by the way, Israeli politics are not among the most secular in the world. That is preposterous.
Right, I mean they totally don't have abortion policies and gay rights policies that are much more in line with Scandinavia than Saudi Arabia, totally.

ledocs 10-18-2010 10:25 AM

Look, operative, I said something about Dershowitz's characterization of Israel's constitutional documents. You did not respond to that. You went off on a tangent. Everyone knows, excepting you, that Israel's religious parties have a hugely disproportionate influence on its politics, and that also results from Israel's parliamentary form of government, from its "constitution." So in that crucial respect, Israel is nothing like Scandinavia, where religion plays almost no role in politics, to my knowledge.

When you brought up the Moe article, which you probably had not even read, you said to me something like, "If you knew anything about the conventions of social science..." Now you ask me, "Do you actually know anything about Israeli politics?" It depends entirely upon one's standards of knowledge, of course. I don't know that much, but I seem to know at least as much, or more than you.

You're right. I am not exhibiting much maturity, because you make me sick. You're a jerk and a phony. But you are henceforth on my IgnoreList. I have no way of controlling my temper here other than ceasing to read the garbage.

Lyle 10-18-2010 12:42 PM

Re: from Loury & Wax

Quote:

Originally Posted by ledocs (Post 183401)
Can you read, you moron? No, you cannot. As I have said more than once, I wish the censors would censor stupidity. You are revolting.

What if the censors are stupid? What if the censors can't recognized stupidity? What is stupidity? :)

chiwhisoxx 10-18-2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyle (Post 183441)
What if the censors are stupid? What if the censors can't recognized stupidity? What is stupidity? :)

Lyle, the first rule of holes is to stop digging.

Lyle 10-18-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx (Post 183448)
Lyle, the first rule of holes is to stop digging.

Harry Caray, what hole is being dug? :)

operative 10-18-2010 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ledocs (Post 183406)
Look, operative, I said something about Dershowitz's characterization of Israel's constitutional documents. You did not respond to that. You went off on a tangent. Everyone knows, excepting you, that Israel's religious parties have a hugely disproportionate influence on its politics, and that also results from Israel's parliamentary form of government, from its "constitution." So in that crucial respect, Israel is nothing like Scandinavia, where religion plays almost no role in politics, to my knowledge.

Except that Israel's social policies are much, much closer to Scandinavia than they are to the Middle East.
Quote:

I don't know that much, but I seem to know at least as much, or more than you.
Believe me, you don't. Israel isn't my area of focus but I still am confident enough about my knowledge of the area.

From Inglehart Welzel:
Israel .26 .36
data here: http://www.worldvaluessurvey.org/wvs...rticle_base_54

That puts them as more secular than such bastions of religisosity as the UK.

Quote:

You're right. I am not exhibiting much maturity...You're a jerk and a phony. But you are henceforth on my IgnoreList. I have no way of controlling my temper here other than ceasing to read the garbage.
I'd say the salient matter, then, is your lack of self control...

handle 10-19-2010 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyle (Post 183453)
Harry Caray, what hole is being dug? :)

Jesus chi, I gotta apologize for the evil clowns of late. Seems they just hate rational people no matter what ideology they may lean toward. I think maybe it's the combination of substance abuse coupled with election year histeria. Or maybe they are, you know, like you said, and I couldn't agree more.

badhatharry 10-22-2010 10:15 AM

Flame Warriors is amazing.

handle 10-23-2010 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 184124)
Flame Warriors is amazing.

Yea, and so is this cartoon site Don Zeko linked from the "comments policy" thread. You gotta read most of them, I did anyway.

handle 10-23-2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handle (Post 184233)
Yea, and so is this cartoon site Don Zeko linked from the "comments policy" thread. You gotta read most of them, I did anyway.

And just in case you missed it, here's my new comment strategy (in my mind):
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/venting.png

And I love how you can roll over the image and get commentary like the one for this was:
"P.P.S. I can kill you with my brain."

operative 10-23-2010 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handle (Post 184360)
And just in case you missed it, here's my new comment strategy (in my mind):
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/venting.png

And I love how you can roll over the image and get commentary like the one for this was:
"P.P.S. I can kill you with my brain."

Firefly reference=immediate win.

bjkeefe 10-23-2010 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 184366)
Firefly reference=immediate win.

Even more hard to fathom than the idea of getting schooled by Summer Glau has to be the response of Google's Adsense: Buy this book now: "The attack on the white male."

operative 10-23-2010 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 184368)
Even more hard to fathom than the idea of getting schooled by Summer Glau has to be the response of Google's Adsense: Buy this book now: "The attack on the white male."

Well to be fair she does attack many white men in Serenity:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwVqW6J4FRc
I do doubt that that's what they were drawing on though :\

badhatharry 10-23-2010 09:05 PM

Hmmmm, Summer Glau... I'm hopelessly out of step. Guess I'll have to google it.

operative 10-23-2010 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 184380)
Hmmmm, Summer Glau... I'm hopelessly out of step. Guess I'll have to google it.

That is an unforgivable offense. You can however perform some penance by immediately streaming Serenity through Netflix.

badhatharry 10-23-2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 184383)
That is an unforgivable offense. You can however perform some penance by immediately streaming Serenity through Netflix.

If it's not on the watch instantly list it's a no-go.

Hate to waste one of my rentals...such a dilemma!

operative 10-23-2010 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 184387)
If it's not on the watch instantly list it's a no-go.

Hate to waste one of my rentals...such a dilemma!

It's in the watch instantly vault.

badhatharry 10-24-2010 12:04 AM

Thanks! I'll do it.

bjkeefe 10-24-2010 01:14 AM

You might also see Hulu, for full episodes of the TV show, for free.

Don Zeko 10-24-2010 02:44 AM

Comment Threads ---> XKCD ---> Firefly. I like our segues. Speaking of, you should be sure to watch Arrested Development while you're using hulu for some remedial cultural education. Also, Fox Delenda Est.

bjkeefe 10-24-2010 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Zeko (Post 184427)
Comment Threads ---> XKCD ---> Firefly. I like our segues. Speaking of, you should be sure to watch Arrested Development while you're using hulu for some remedial cultural education. Also, Fox Delenda Est.

Every so often, I come across a recommendation for AD from someone whose tastes I respect. Maybe someday -- takes a lot to overcome the inertia I have about starting to watch something new.

Is the last sentence to be taken literally (in which case, roar of approval), or is it a reference to some other show?

Don Zeko 10-24-2010 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 184428)
Every so often, I come across a recommendation for AD from someone whose tastes I respect. Maybe someday -- takes a lot to overcome the inertia I have about starting to watch something new.

Is the last sentence to be taken literally (in which case, roar of approval), or is it a reference to some other show?

It's to be taken literally, since Fox is responsible for the early cancellation of both Firefly and Arrested Development. And really, you must overcome your inertia and watch Arrested Development. The first two episodes of season 1 are a sublime beginning to the series, and they maintain that level of quality all the way to the show's cancellation at the end of the shortened 3rd season. Sadly, Season 1 isn't available on Hulu yet, but I'll still provide a link to help you out.
http://www.dedleg.com/wordpress/wp-c...lew_myself.jpg

P.S.: The 5-second google image search that produced this picture had me laughing out loud. It's just that funny.

bjkeefe 10-24-2010 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Zeko (Post 184430)
It's to be taken literally, since Fox is responsible for the early cancellation of both Firefly and Arrested Development.

And for the way they overproduce and clutter baseball games. And for hiring Joe Buck.

Quote:

And really, you must overcome your inertia and watch Arrested Development. The first two episodes ...
I will try.

badhatharry 10-24-2010 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Zeko (Post 184427)

Yeah, the thing has morphed from "Can you read, you moron? No, you cannot." to viewing recommendations. I've seen Arrested Development and love it. My daughter turned me on to it.

look 10-24-2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 184438)
Yeah, the thing has morphed from "Can you read, you moron? No, you cannot." to viewing recommendations. I've seen Arrested Development and love it. My daughter turned me on to it.

This is an old show, but I think 'Malcolm in the Middle' is one of the best sit-coms evah. It's wicked funny.

When my kids were younger, it would come on in the afternoon line-up with shows like 'That's So Raven' and 'Sponge Bob,' so I never paid any attention to it. When I actually watched it a couple years ago, I couldn't believe how funny it was.

claymisher 10-24-2010 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Zeko (Post 184430)
It's to be taken literally, since Fox is responsible for the early cancellation of both Firefly and Arrested Development. And really, you must overcome your inertia and watch Arrested Development. The first two episodes of season 1 are a sublime beginning to the series, and they maintain that level of quality all the way to the show's cancellation at the end of the shortened 3rd season. Sadly, Season 1 isn't available on Hulu yet, but I'll still provide a link to help you out.

DZ, you have very good taste. Afternoon Delight is one of the best. I'd still recommend starting from the beginning though. I think a hundred years from now AD will represent the Bush years better than anything. Just think of all the themes: the real estate bubble, Iraq, plutocracy, idiot sons of successful fathers, and, um, incest. Lots of incest.

You can't blame FOX for canceling it though, it was a dead-last money-loser from the start. They were generous to keep on as long as they did.

operative 10-24-2010 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claymisher (Post 184505)
DZ, you have very good taste. Afternoon Delight is one of the best. I'd still recommend starting from the beginning though. I think a hundred years from now AD will represent the Bush years better than anything. Just think of all the themes: the real estate bubble, Iraq, plutocracy, idiot sons of successful fathers, and, um, incest. Lots of incest.

You can't blame FOX for canceling it though, it was a dead-last money-loser from the start. They were generous to keep on as long as they did.

They were ok with Arrested Development. They were terrible with Firefly :(

chiwhisoxx 10-24-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 184428)

arrested development is the funniest show in the history of television

Don Zeko 10-24-2010 08:17 PM

Seriously. Missing out on AD is like missing out on Seinfeld or The Simpsons in their respective heydays, except AD is even funnier

badhatharry 10-24-2010 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 184493)
This is an old show, but I think 'Malcolm in the Middle' is one of the best sit-coms evah. It's wicked funny.

When my kids were younger, it would come on in the afternoon line-up with shows like 'That's So Raven' and 'Sponge Bob,' so I never paid any attention to it. When I actually watched it a couple years ago, I couldn't believe how funny it was.

absolutely true...very funny. I watched an episode not too long ago that was around dominoes and the urge to push them over after someone has laboriously built something with them.

PS I haven't heard 'wicked' used that way since I was a teenage runaway in Massachusettes.

look 10-24-2010 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 184536)
absolutely true...very funny. I watched an episode not too long ago that was around dominoes and the urge to push them over after someone has laboriously built something with them.

PS I haven't heard 'wicked' used that way since I was a teenage runaway in Massachusettes.

lol I'm old school.

badhatharry 10-24-2010 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 184542)
lol I'm old school.

from Mass?

look 10-24-2010 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 184543)
from Mass?

No, from Ohio, but tbh I don't think I started using 'wicked' till the last 10 years or so (and rarely at that). I'm behind on a lot of things. :)

handle 10-25-2010 12:06 AM

My new comedy pick: "Bored to Death".

badhatharry 10-25-2010 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 184546)
No, from Ohio, but tbh I don't think I started using 'wicked' till the last 10 years or so (and rarely at that). I'm behind on a lot of things. :)

It's very cute, tho, as are you.

stephanie 10-25-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 184546)
No, from Ohio, but tbh I don't think I started using 'wicked' till the last 10 years or so (and rarely at that). I'm behind on a lot of things.

Out of curiosity, where are you picking it up from? I don't think of it as outdated (though it might be) but simply regional. It drove me crazy (I can still hear it in the various regional accents) when I was in college in MA. Never heard it outside of MA or very close proximity.

kezboard 10-25-2010 04:15 PM

Flame Warriors wins the internet. I think there are more characters there than we have regular posters on this forum, but each one is represented many times over.

Ocean 10-25-2010 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kezboard (Post 184624)
Flame Warriors wins the internet. I think there are more characters there than we have regular posters on this forum, but each one is represented many times over.

Yes, I looked at it and it was great. I'm sure most of us are a combination of them. Fun!

look 10-25-2010 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kezboard (Post 184624)

Examples?