Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   Diavlog comments (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Obama Pessimism (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=2041)

bjkeefe 08-23-2008 03:33 AM

Re: Finally: Cause for Optimism - Biden

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastwest (Post 88395)
Finally: Cause for Optimism - Biden

EW

Hey, great! We found something to agree upon!

More (tempered) enthusiam here.

JIM3CH 08-23-2008 03:41 AM

Get some sleep Brendan. I'm glad you're happy.

So much for the politics of change.

Eastwest 08-23-2008 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 88396)
Hey, great! We found something to agree upon!

More (tempered) enthusiam here.

That little clip illustrates what's so nice about Biden (which I mentioned earlier in the thread): Without raising his blood pressure, and without seeming self-righteously indignant, he can draw forth a rapier wit to castrate baseless criticisms. This is sorely needed in the current situation.

If Obama indeed wants to stay above the ugliest aspects of hard-ball politics, he needs somebody like this with immense experience on both international and domestic issues who can use brass knuckles with style.

EW

grits-n-gravy 08-23-2008 10:30 PM

Re: Obama Pessimism

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkjazfan (Post 88136)
Do you know some draftees that went against their moral reservations? Probably not. I knew plenty of draftees but none that fit your category.

John

Do you know plenty of draftees that didn't go because they are cowards? The point was it is no more legitimate to assume the draft dodger is a coward than to assume draftee who serves is not.

Curtis 08-24-2008 03:01 PM

I love these diavlogs between McWhorter and Loury - some of the most intelligent and insightful conversation on the internet. I never fail to learn something new from listening to these guys.

Uhurusasa 08-26-2008 09:36 PM

how brilliant does obama have to be, to be used as a pawn in another man's game! the one coalition that could stop this eight year farce has been systematically broken. politics as revivalism is a disaster!

the united states was stupid enough to elect bush to a second term,against it's self interest! just watch november, you have not seen anything yet! all the great speeches in the world are useless, if you don't win!

this country does not even understand race! so now, we are moving beyond it? we are well past 1984 into a brave new world! i am still looking for that stick with the short end!
that old sweet song keeps georgia pipelines on my mind!

bjkeefe 08-31-2008 05:00 PM

Did You See This?

John McWhorter talks Obama, antique keyboards (I think that's what they call those things), and the end of racism, on The Colbert Report.

Good times.

Okay, we've played enough away games (cf.). I now challenge Stephen Colbert to come to our house.

==========
Administrivia: Sorry not to point you right to the CR site and the larger video window, but the supplied URL did not point to the right segment. On the upside, you won't have to sit through a commercial first.

Wonderment 08-31-2008 05:16 PM

Re: Did You See This?

Quote:

John McWhorter talks Obama, antique keyboards (I think that's what they call those things), and the end of racism, on The Colbert Report.
Good times.
Embarrassing. I thought Colbert made John look like an idiot, which he does with most guests. If I knew John only from that interview, I'd never want to hear another word from him.

Also, the audience was laughing in entirely inappropriate places, like when John was trying to make his point that seeing a black family in the White House for a few years would change our racial sensibilities for the good. There was nothing funny about that, but since Colbert had already set up the "socially conservative Obama supporter" as a clown, the laughter continues.

I'm sure book agents tell their clients that no matter how skewered you get by Colbert, it's good for sales. Maybe.

graz 08-31-2008 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonderment (Post 89187)
...Also, the audience was laughing in entirely inappropriate places, like when John was trying to make his point that seeing a black family in the White House for a few years would change our racial sensibilities for the good. There was nothing funny about that, but since Colbert had already set up the "socially conservative Obama supporter" as a clown, the laughter continues...

You expressed the same sense about George Johnson's segment on Colbert. I think that the audience is there to enjoy the irrepressible Colbert treatment. But, any pub is good pub. And I bet that attuned viewers would be sparked to investigate the guest further.
My immediate reaction was that McWhorter "killed." If they (John, George...Paul and Ringo?) aren't ashamed, why should I be?

bjkeefe 08-31-2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonderment (Post 89187)
Embarrassing. I thought Colbert made John look like an idiot, which he does with most guests. If I knew John only from that interview, I'd never want to hear another word from him.

It's impossible for me to say about the second part, since I already know him and like him from BH.tv and his writing, but I disagree with the first part. It's not often that the guest can get Stephen laughing. Regular watchers of the show count that as a win. Check the cheering at the end.

And following what graz said, people who watch The Report know that everything is the opposite of how it's presented -- they're all in on the joke. In particular, I really don't agree with this:

Quote:

Also, the audience was laughing in entirely inappropriate places, like when John was trying to make his point that seeing a black family in the White House for a few years would change our racial sensibilities for the good.
If you knew nothing about the show, you might say that the laughter was inappropriate, but the audience, I'm certain, took that point to heart.

Quote:

I'm sure book agents tell their clients that no matter how skewered you get by Colbert, it's good for sales. Maybe.
Yes. But I have the feeling that one way you can really help yourself on The Report, beyond just having the face time, is by showing that you can be a good sport. Everyone likes that in another person.

Wonderment 08-31-2008 09:09 PM

Quote:

You expressed the same sense about George Johnson's segment on Colbert. I think that the audience is there to enjoy the irrepressible Colbert treatment.
Yeah. I guess I'm just opposed in general to serious intellectuals doing comedy shtick to promote their work. I'm sure I'd do it in a heartbeat myself, but it still seems demeaning to me. I'm hopelessly archaic and elitist, I know :(

Uhurusasa 11-05-2008 02:02 AM

i am happy, though in deep shock!! i saw a complete setup! what the hell do i know!
more people moved towards obama than away from him, unbelievable!!! i hope the nation moves ahead!!

i was wrong!!!! BOULE is back!!! let the second phase of the movement begin!!

bjkeefe 11-05-2008 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uhurusasa (Post 96643)
i am happy, though in deep shock!! i saw a complete setup! what the hell do i know!
more people moved towards obama than away from him, unbelievable!!! i hope the nation moves ahead!!

i was wrong!!!!

LOL!

You do not have to go through every thread in the forum to find the places where you made the wrong prediction, Uhurusasa.

But if this is your way of celebrating ... by all means.

Uhurusasa 11-20-2008 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 96644)
LOL!

You do not have to go through every thread in the forum to find the places where you made the wrong prediction, Uhurusasa.

But if this is your way of celebrating ... by all means.

i don't have to do anything, including reading your crap! i'll write what i want, and you can patronize at will

bjkeefe 11-21-2008 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uhurusasa (Post 97930)
i don't have to do anything, including reading your crap! i'll write what i want, and you can patronize at will

Quite right: you do not have to read what I write. But for the record, I did not mean my reply to be patronizing. I meant to convey a "laugh with," not a "laugh at," tone. Sorry it came off different from the way I intended it.

uncle ebeneezer 11-21-2008 02:20 PM

Yeah, Wonderment, I'd have to whole-heartedly disagree. I think John McWhorter "killed it." That was one of the funniest appearances in a long time on Colbert. I look at Colbert as a place where serious-minded authors get to go and actually have some fun and drop the acadamia-wonk pretense for 5 minutes and show the other side of themselves. And because Colbert already has the satirical setup of the Conservative blowhard, it allows the more liberal-minded guests to slip in a few more high-minded concepts into the interview (often with the help of Colbert.) The audience that watches Colbert and Jon Stewart, tends to be the type who are liberal and who buy books. So I just don't see any down-side from the authors perspective. And it's great because alot of my friends don't have the patience for something like BHTV, but they will watch Colbert. So it's nice to know that several of these great minds who have important things to say (McWhorter, Neil Shubin, George Johnson etc.) are getting a chance to reach a larger audience than BHTV currently reaches.

Also i didn't think the audience was laughing inappropriately at all. I laughed almost non-stop through the entire clip. When the setting is "comedy", it's just a matter of "funny" or not.