Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   Diavlog comments (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Goodbye to All That Green (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=1533)

TwinSwords 01-02-2008 04:57 PM

Re: Goodbye to All That Green

LOL, that's an interesting story. Thanks for the link.

garbagecowboy 01-02-2008 05:23 PM

Re: To: Twin, GC, Wolf

I would like to think that I have said my piece with re: torture. But your point about the invisible posts once you have hit "more replies below this depth" is well taken. I will keep that in mind for the future. Perhaps one of Bh.tv's dedicated and underpaid staff can come up with a work-around that prevents that the threading from going to that invisible mode. I mean, the threading is already displayed in an internal frame or whatever that has an un-and-down scrollbar; is having that frame have a horizontal scroll-bar so horrible?

bjkeefe 01-02-2008 05:58 PM

GC:

Quote:

Perhaps one of Bh.tv's dedicated and underpaid staff can come up with a work-around that prevents that the threading from going to that invisible mode. I mean, the threading is already displayed in an internal frame or whatever that has an un-and-down scrollbar; is having that frame have a horizontal scroll-bar so horrible?
Especially since the horizontal scroll bar is already displaying as it is, at least for me. Seems like there should be a tweakable parameter in there somewhere, like MAX_DEPTH or something. If I were designing this software, I'd make any a value of 0 mean "never compress the thread, no matter how far it extends." I can't believe there's any built-in limit to how far something can scroll sideways. I once saw a web page that billed itself as the world's widest -- it had something like a diagram of the solar system with the Earth as one pixel, represented in proper scale. Pretty funny, and it certainly illustrated the point about no practical upper limit for horizontal scrolling.

TwinSwords 01-02-2008 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 67792)
I've enjoyed following your discussion about torture. I'd like to ask a favor, maybe for future reference: When you find your back and forth has continued to the point where vBulletin starts displaying that annoying "more post below current depth," how about one of you moving the thread by starting a new top branch, as I did here? That is, continue the conversation by posting your reply to the opening comment, with enough quoting to make clear what you did.

And please don't suggest that I switch to linear view. I've already explained how hard it is to follow a discussion through that lens.

That's a very good idea.

Oh, and Brendan, SWITCH TO THE LINEAR VIEW!

LOL! Just kidding. :D

I've been using the threaded mode myself.

But back to the point: Good idea moving the thread up to the root when it gets that long. The whole window is now blown all out of proportion.

TwinSwords 01-02-2008 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garbagecowboy (Post 67799)
Perhaps one of Bh.tv's dedicated and underpaid staff can come up with a work-around that prevents that the threading from going to that invisible mode. I mean, the threading is already displayed in an internal frame or whatever that has an un-and-down scrollbar; is having that frame have a horizontal scroll-bar so horrible?

If possible, it would also be nice if they could se a maximum width for the frame that contains the thread. Because right now it apears to be about 1200 pixels wide, which is wider than most users' screens (the most common resolution is 1024x768). having the horizontal scrollbar inside the frame isn't so terrible, but it really sucks when the entire window blows out to > your current screen resolution.

bjkeefe 01-02-2008 06:40 PM

Twin:

I haven't noticed that problem, even on a dinky laptop. My screens are all set at 1024x768. What are you running?

TwinSwords 01-02-2008 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 67822)
Twin:

I haven't noticed that problem, even on a dinky laptop. My screens are all set at 1024x768. What are you running?

My resolution is 1280x1024, so I haven't had the problem. I suppose it's possible vBulletin detects the users' screen resolution and sizes the thread frame accordingly. Or maybe the difference is due to the browser I'm running. (IE7). What browser are you using?

TwinSwords 01-02-2008 07:11 PM

Oh, this is interesting. In Firefox, the frame containing the threads is resizable -- it gets bigger or smaller as your window grows or shrinks. This doesn't work in IE. You probably know this already since you're probably a Firefox user.

I hate Firefox, but in a number of respects it does seem to render pages better than IE.

Wolfgangus 01-02-2008 08:01 PM

I'd also point out that when you DO click on the "more posts" link, it blows it out and makes the screen wider anyway, so you have to scroll over it.

ALSO, there is a bug in the implementation, if you are counting on the color change to indicate whether posts have been read or not, the "more posts" link is always green, even if you HAVE read all the posts subsumed by it. God I hate careless programmers.

bjkeefe 01-02-2008 08:07 PM

Wolf:

Well put. I have noticed those additional annoyances, too, which is mostly why I posted my busybody comment in the first place. Which, it must be admitted, would have a good time to have offered my observations.

TwinSwords 01-02-2008 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfgangus (Post 67841)
ALSO, there is a bug in the implementation, if you are counting on the color change to indicate whether posts have been read or not, the "more posts" link is always green, even if you HAVE read all the posts subsumed by it. God I hate careless programmers.

I don't have that problem in either Firefox or IE. What browser are you using?

bjkeefe 01-02-2008 10:17 PM

I'd add to Wolf's complaint that clicking on the "more posts" link makes all of the underlying posts get marked as read. I use Firefox, if you want to know.

Wolfgangus 01-03-2008 01:35 AM

I use the latest edition of IE on my laptop, under Windows, and a pretty recent edition of Firefox (installed about six months ago, I think?) on my work machine, under Linux.