Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   Diavlog comments (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The Week In Blog: Skeevy in Seattle (Bill Scher & Matt Lewis) (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=6545)

Bloggingheads 02-27-2011 02:10 PM

The Week In Blog: Skeevy in Seattle (Bill Scher & Matt Lewis)
 

Ocean 02-27-2011 03:10 PM

Re: The Week In Blog: Skeevy in Seattle
 
The first 30 minutes are all about Matt trying to find any, I repeat any, possible argument against the famous prank call to Walker. He states how there are more important news. He changed subjects when the James O'Keefe case was brought up for comparison. He then found that the union member hitting the female reporter's camera with a paper sign was more important. And I could go on and on and on.

It's true that the news from Libya are important. But so is the news from the Wisconsin governor and his Republican associates who have managed to take away the most fundamental right of a union: collective bargaining. And, if it just so happens that his actions are supported and directed by Money Power via Koch brothers, even more important to know. This is corruption, classic style. This is no different from what people in this country used to make fun of when referring to third world governments and their corrupted leaders.

So, yes, I think this story about what's behind Governor Walker's actions and the level of corruption that's being shown is far more important to be known by the public than the mishaps of a reporter.

I think I may stop watching this section when Matt participates. I liked his friendly style at the beginning, but I've realized he's sold to partisan lines with no shame.

bjkeefe 02-27-2011 03:13 PM

Re: The Week In Blog: Skeevy in Seattle
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean (Post 199250)
The first 30 minutes are all about Matt trying to find any, I repeat any, possible argument against the famous prank call to Walker. He states how there are more important news. He changed subjects when the James O'Keefe case was brought up for comparison. He then found that the union member hitting the female reporter's camera with a paper sign was more important. And I could go on and on and on.

It's true that the news from Libya are important. But so is the news from the Wisconsin governor and his Republican associates who have managed to take away the most fundamental right of a union: collective bargaining. And, if it just so happens that his actions are supported and directed by Money Power via Koch brothers, even more important to know. This is corruption, classic style. This is no different from what people in this country used to make fun of when referring to third world governments and their corrupted leaders.

So, yes, I think this story about what's behind Governor Walker's actions and the level of corruption that's being shown is far more important to be known by the public than the mishaps of a reporter.

I think I may stop watching this section when Matt participates. I liked his friendly style at the beginning, but I've realized he's sold to partisan lines with no shame.

Well put.

Glad you finally realized where Matt is coming from.

Ocean 02-27-2011 03:15 PM

Re: The Week In Blog: Skeevy in Seattle
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 199252)
Well put.

Glad you finally realized where Matt is coming from.

Yes, I wrote this comment a bit late.

bjkeefe 02-27-2011 03:21 PM

Re: The Week In Blog: Skeevy in Seattle
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean (Post 199253)
Yes, I wrote this comment a bit late.

Only by a couple of years. ;)

[Added] Even given the view I've had of Matt since about three episodes into TWiB, it really is amazing listening to him suddenly doing all this unselfconscious finger-wagging about bloggers and social media.

[Added2] If Matt wants to be taken seriously (when he's not writing about Justin Bieber, I mean), he'd probably do well to stop relying on sources like Jason Mattera. Especially given how he's just spent the last thirteen minutes condemning people who go up to politicians and try to catch them on camera with some out-of-nowhere question.

[Added3] Twenty-two minutes in, and I have yet to hear mention of anything that anyone else said in the blogosphere. I have to say, I don't really get a lot out of Matt Lewis's navel-gazing. I wish he'd stop indulging himself in this manner, and I wish Bill wouldn't let it go on and on.

[Added4] Matt's water-carrying (misrepresenting, not to put too fine a point on it) about the video the wingnutosphere is trying to make into A Thing is just idiotic. Especially in light of his opening monologue on how he's suddenly not too sure about this whole pushing cameras in people's faces kind of thing.

[Added5] All right. He's said "Tabitha was pushed down" three times now. That simply is not supported by the video. The video* shows her camera falling to the ground, and the audio clearly has her complaining about "that's my property." This is just excruciating hackery. Pushing Stop button now.

==========

* [Added6] Links to the video, as posted on YouTube by FreedomWorks, here.

chamblee54 02-27-2011 03:37 PM

Re: The Week In Blog: Skeevy in Seattle
 
Oxymoron alert.
chamblee54

Ocean 02-27-2011 03:57 PM

Re: The Week In Blog: Skeevy in Seattle
 
That's about the same time when I stopped listening. There's only so much hackery one can take.

ohreally 02-27-2011 05:27 PM

Re: The Week In Blog: Skeevy in Seattle
 
Obama always too late, too cautious???

Bullshit! Was he too late and too cautious when he cast the only vote (and veto) against the anti-settlements UN security council resolution on 2/18? A fucking resolution whose contents the US claims to support. Is making the US the skunk at the party and the king of hypocrisy anyone's idea of being cautious?

Obama is a Nixonian realist, utterly devoid of any moral consideration. The only reason he was slow on Egypt and Libya is that he had to wait until a winner emerged. Obama is a winner's guy. If you're on the losing side of the battle, the man has only two words for you: tough shit.

qingl78 02-27-2011 06:41 PM

Re: The Week In Blog: Skeevy in Seattle
 
To anyone who hasn't watched this yet.

There is nothing new here. So if you like to have your own opinions validated, that everyone who is "on your side" is right and true and good and everyone who is on the other side is a "thug" and invalid, then this is for you.

bjkeefe 02-27-2011 07:16 PM

Regarding Paul Broun's handling ...
 
... of the assassination "joke," Matt would do well to read this.

(h/t: SkepticDoc)

badhatharry 02-28-2011 10:46 AM

Re: The Week In Blog: Skeevy in Seattle
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by qingl78 (Post 199264)
To anyone who hasn't watched this yet.

There is nothing new here. So if you like to have your own opinions validated, that everyone who is "on your side" is right and true and good and everyone who is on the other side is a "thug" and invalid, then this is for you.

cute

Empact 02-28-2011 03:27 PM

Market Urbanism
 
Matt,

Re. your sentiment of "new urbanism without forcing others into it," there are a growing number of good resources showing how our current urban and suburban cityscapes are distorted in by government regulations and subsidies, and charting a path to correcting the distortions without forcing individuals into that lifestyle:

http://reason.tv/video/show/donald-s...-solutions-for
http://marketurbanism.com/

Finally, here's a short talk I gave a while back on the subject.

bjkeefe 02-28-2011 03:36 PM

Re: Market Urbanism
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Empact (Post 199331)
Matt,

Re. your sentiment of "new urbanism without forcing others into it," ...

I think you have the wrong Matt Lewis.

stephanie 02-28-2011 03:42 PM

Re: Market Urbanism
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 199333)
I think you have the wrong Matt Lewis.

That Matt Lewis aside, it's something this Matt said in the diavlog.

bjkeefe 02-28-2011 03:45 PM

Re: Market Urbanism
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stephanie (Post 199335)
That Matt Lewis aside, it's something this Matt said in the diavlog.

Okay, thanks. I must've missed it what with all the spin about union thugs!!!1!, etc.

stephanie 02-28-2011 03:55 PM

Re: Market Urbanism
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 199336)
Okay, thanks. I must've missed it what with all the spin about union thugs!!!1!, etc.

It's basically tossed off in the last minute or two.

bjkeefe 02-28-2011 04:08 PM

Re: Market Urbanism
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stephanie (Post 199340)
It's basically tossed off in the last minute or two.

Thanks again. I did not make it that far, as noted above.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.