Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   Diavlog comments (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Quality Control (Conn Carroll & Noah Kristula-Green) (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=6826)

badhatharry 06-24-2011 12:49 AM

Re: Quality Control (Conn Carroll & Noah Kristula-Green)

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 213821)
I haven't yet; I'll check it out.

Krugman has been particularly off his rocker as of late (which is saying something). He claimed that liberals take the time to understand conservatives but conservatives don't take the time to understand liberals. He then said that there wasn't a single conservative that he bothers to read, thus undermining his first point. As Bryan Caplan argued, a conservative or libertarian economist can more likely pass a Turing test than a liberal, particularly if that liberal is Paul Krugman.

Yeah I just read Don Boudreaux's letter in response to the Krugman interview. To add insult to injury Boudreaux added another statement from Krugman:

Quote:

Some have asked if there arenít conservative sites I read regularly. Well, no. I will read anything Iíve been informed about thatís either interesting or revealing; but I donít know of any economics or politics sites on that side that regularly provide analysis or information I need to take seriously.
But you've probably read this already. I mean I would expect this from some left-wing blog but really? the NYT? Columbia University? Nobel Prize?

TwinSwords 06-24-2011 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piscivorous (Post 213729)
I've always loved a good rant and I commend you on this one. Perhaps if you would broaden your scope and somewhere in your reasoned arguments acknowledged that this is a phenomena not unique to the nefarious "wingnut/libertarian" cabal one would find it more than entertaining.

Thank you, pisc, that's very kind.

And I will definitely agree that it's not just right wing objectives which are pursued by the policy planning network. For one thing, even corporate cash isn't exclusively used to pursue far-right goals. Within the corporate community there is a division between soft right and hard right, and a lot of corporate cash flows to more moderate policy planning institutions, like Bob Wright's New America Foundation.

And beyond corporate contributions, unions have also supported more liberal scholarship.

badhatharry 06-24-2011 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 213786)
The ignore function can be a time saver. I use the linear view, so I scroll through all the comments. It's pretty peaceful to scroll through a thread being dominated by those you'd rather pass by at the time. It's kind of like using the mute button. Currently, I only have one person on my ignore list, but that doesn't mean I won't click open a post if curious.

What is this linear view you speak of Obiwan?

I actually like to look at the comments on the diavlog page. It gives a better chronological sense.

TwinSwords 06-24-2011 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx (Post 213731)
You're right. There's absolutely nothing controversial about that statement. It's almost so banal it's not worth saying. The reason I or someone else might take exception to that (and I think you know why, but I feel like you're playing coy to an extent) is that you make it seem like this is the exclusive province of the conservative movement. If I take your sentence about lots of money being poured into think tanks for wingnut causes and replaced wingnut with moonbat, that wouldn't be a remotely controversial statement either.

This isn't a very good dodge, but it works as an admission that I was right and that you were wrong, so thanks.

As for your final sentence, no, it's not controversial, but that's not what we were talking about, was it?

If you recall, you said my assertion about libertarian think tanks was so absurd that it shouldn't be taken seriously, and in fact, you said, it was so outrageous that it should be called out by other people on the left. You said it was "ideological talking points without any basis in fact".

Now all of a sudden it's so obviously true it's not worth saying.

If you thought that people were going to miss your abandonment of your earlier argument, you were wrong.

look 06-24-2011 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 213993)
What is this linear view you speak of Obiwan?

I actually like to look at the comments on the diavlog page. It gives a better chronological sense.

Luddite.

Go to forum, open a thread, open 'display modes,' select 'linear view.'

You can make linear view your default setting (for when you're logged on) by going to your control panel.

chiwhisoxx 06-24-2011 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinSwords (Post 213995)
This isn't a very good dodge, but it works as an admission that I was right and that you were wrong, so thanks.

As for your final sentence, no, it's not controversial, but that's not what we were talking about, was it?

If you recall, you said my assertion about libertarian think tanks was so absurd that it shouldn't be taken seriously, and in fact, you said, it was so outrageous that it should be called out by other people on the left. You said it was "ideological talking points without any basis in fact".

Now all of a sudden it's so obviously true it's not worth saying.

If you thought that people were going to miss your abandonment of your earlier argument, you were wrong.

Sigh. You loaded your statement in a very specific way, and you did so on purpose. I basically said the same thing pisc did, except he was nice so he got basically the response I was looking for. So you also admitted you were either wrong, or being dishonest by omission. Thanks. And bear in mind when I mentioned your talking points, it wasn't confined to that one post, or even this thread.

piscivorous 06-24-2011 02:29 AM

You're welcome!

Alexandrite 06-24-2011 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexandrite (Post 213979)
I listened to my BHTV this week in Reverse order (newest stuff first, oldest stuff last).

I burst out laughing at this.

http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/369...3:56&out=44:16

OH WE WOULDN'T WOULD WE? NO SANE PEOPLE WOULD EVER DEBATE THAT?
http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/369...8:12&out=27:36

I think I'm going to go and tweet these so hard right now.

More people not discussing Mercenary armies in a serious fashion
http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/369...4:34&out=35:42