Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   Diavlog comments (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Von Mises on the Beach (Annie Lowrey & Katherine Mangu-Ward) (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=6813)

badhatharry 06-17-2011 09:47 PM

Re: Von Mises on the Beach (Annie Lowrey & Katherine Mangu-Ward)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarkang (Post 213005)

You and Don Zeko seem to think that my form of decriminalization is somehow an anarchist policy. Correct me if Iíve mischaracterized your understanding. However, my way is an in between policy between what we have now and what you want. In other words, my solution is a lot more paternalistic than yours. My way gives the government a monopoly on production and distribution. No one is allowed to produce and sell unless government approved. Your decriminalization solution would mean zero regulation. Amateurs would make meth in their shitty trailers and use more dangerous chemicals than necessary.

I don't know how the term anarchist applies to your idea and I don't really want anything. I'm just asking questions and playing devil's advocate.

What would be the punishment for making meth in my trailer? Would there be cops required for this?...just askin.

And what is the difference between decriminalization and legalization? You said no regulation, anything else?

sugarkang 06-18-2011 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 213022)
What would be the punishment for making meth in my trailer? Would there be cops required for this?...just askin.

Criminal law and penalties would be determined by the states. However, my focus is on the economics where the idea is to make amateur meth production unprofitable. You could make meth in your trailer, but you wouldn't be profitable doing it. So, states would decide, individually, if they want to give cops the authority to arrest you. However, when people aren't making it, police resources aren't necessary.

popcorn_karate 06-27-2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dilan Esper (Post 213018)
The real swipe fee problem was not mentioned here. It's that Visa and MasterCard use contractual terms and pressure on retailers to prevent them from charging a surcharge for transactions using their cards (which would make the swipe fees transparent and force them to cut them in response to consumer transparency).

The optimal solution would have been a law with pretty heavy criminal penalties (i.e., serious jail time) for any credit card executive which signed or inserted into any contract or pressured any retailer to prevent the retailer from charging such a surcharge.

But since Congress didn't do that, the swipe fee law is a decent second best solution.

now that makes a lot of sense.

piscivorous 06-27-2011 05:30 PM

Now that is a very interesting take. Wouldn't have a CC purchase cost slightly more would it also help educate consumers to the cost of credit in a roundabout manner.