Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   Stupid pointless flame wars (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Gumshoe, Whatfur, AemJeff et al. (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=5699)

Salt 08-02-2010 06:20 PM

Gumshoe, Whatfur, AemJeff et al.

Quoting twins:
Fox News may not have said anything about Sherrod on their cable news network before Sherrod was fired, although they obviously would have, had Sherrod delayed her resignation by a few more hours -- as you OBVIOUSLY are well aware.
But Fox News did start pimping Breitbart's lies before Sherrod was fired on:
— Their web site
— Their Twitter page
— Their Facebook page
And they spent the next several days either spreading Breitbart's lies or formulating their own attacks on Sherrod.
It's a strange (and obviously disingenuous) defense of Fox News to say they didn't do something before Sherrod was fired that they did do after she was fired. No one is falling for it.

For someone who apparently detests Fox, you certainly are overly familiar with their obscurest outlets. I had no idea they had a twitter or facebook page. Those are superficial compared to what gets broadcast. Moreover, if I were you I would forget this Fox smokescreen. That is not the issue. John and Glenn just spent an hour eviscerating your philosophy. They trashed affirmative action, "national racial conversations", leftist african-american studies programs, etc. You libs have much bigger problems, if John and Glenn are correct. Forget about Fox and try to find some stable ground. Personally, I hope you take your sweet time and keep whining about Fox as you sink deeper and deeper into the ocean of b.s. you and your cohorts have been piling up for decades. At least John and Glenn have the intelligence and critical thinking to cut their losses.

P.S. Breitbart's smashing of Acorn was an epic journalistic tour de force. If he baited the White House loons into shooting their last foot off, it's their fault. John and Glenn might not have had this epiphany if events had been otherwise.

Big_Time_Gumshoe 08-02-2010 07:38 PM

Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Breitbart's smashing of Acorn was an epic journalistic tour de force.

Hahaha. I'm not sure a "tour de force" could be so easily discredited upon closer inspection.

"For instance, a much-publicized recording of a visit to the San Diego office, in which an employee is purportedly seeking information to help smuggle underage girls from Mexico into the United States to work as prostitutes, did not mention that the employee's 'contact' in Mexico was actually a police official. The employee collected as much specific information as possible, then contacted Mexican police, warning them of the plot."

Yep, some real honest reporting from Breitbart here. That's a correction you won't find anywhere on his site. And this is a man to be trusted?

http://ag.ca.gov/cms_attachments/pre...orn_report.pdf

Whatfur 08-02-2010 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Time_Gumshoe (Post 173090)
Breitbart's smashing of Acorn was an epic journalistic tour de force.

Hahaha. I'm not sure a "tour de force" could be so easily discredited upon closer inspection.

"For instance, a much-publicized recording of a visit to the San Diego office, in which an employee is purportedly seeking information to help smuggle underage girls from Mexico into the United States to work as prostitutes, did not mention that the employee's 'contact' in Mexico was actually a police official. The employee collected as much specific information as possible, then contacted Mexican police, warning them of the plot."

Yep, some real honest reporting from Breitbart here. That's a correction you won't find anywhere on his site. And this is a man to be trusted?

http://ag.ca.gov/cms_attachments/pre...orn_report.pdf

Did you read the whole report? I actually heard Breitbart himself speak of this particular case that you point to and I also heard it reported on Fox. There was another that kicked them out.

But the report on the whole shows what a public service O'Keefe and Giles have done. I suppose you feel that ACORN was to be trusted.

Big_Time_Gumshoe 08-02-2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whatfur (Post 173091)
Did you read the whole report? I actually heard Breitbart himself speak of this particular case that you point to and I also heard it reported on Fox. There was another that kicked them out.

But the report on the whole shows what a public service O'Keefe and Giles have done. I suppose you feel that ACORN was to be trusted.

Where did Breitbart correct this? Let's see the link.

Without a correction the picture Breitbart/O'Keefe and Giles painted is deliberately misleading. Not to mention all the selective editing that's been documented to boot.

ACORN is hardly a model organization but by the same token Breitbart is far from a reputable journalist.

Whatfur 08-02-2010 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Time_Gumshoe (Post 173098)

Without a correction the picture Breitbart/O'Keefe and Giles painted is deliberately misleading. Not to mention all the selective editing that's been documented to boot.

ACORN is hardly a model organization but by the same token Breitbart is far from a reputable journalist.

Yeah, yeah, and your LA Times falsifies pictures on its front page and has the current Maxine Waters story on page 12.

Maybe show ME the link where the Gumshoe is castigating Michael Moore for his ambush interviews and editing tricks.

Anyone who feels like they were misrepresented can certainly sue. Most were fired (see YOUR link) because the unedited evidence against them was irrefutable. Doesn't it strike you at all how in the midst of the video controversy ACORN fell like a house of cards when others started to look closer? Let me guess, you never passed the detectives exam.

AemJeff 08-02-2010 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whatfur (Post 173106)
Yeah, yeah, and your LA Times falsifies pictures on its front page and has the current Maxine Waters story on page 12.

Maybe show ME the link where the Gumshoe is castigating Michael Moore for his ambush interviews and editing tricks.

Anyone who feels like they were misrepresented can certainly sue. Most were fired (see YOUR link) because the unedited evidence against them was irrefutable. Doesn't it strike you at all how in the midst of the video controversy ACORN fell like a house of cards when others started to look closer? Let me guess, you never passed the detectives exam.

Maybe, some day, you'll learn that when you make a claim, that you can't back up, you end up looking foolish. Aiming ridicule at people who call you on it just makes you look worse. How can you possibly not get this?

Whatfur 08-02-2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AemJeff (Post 173108)
Maybe, some day, you'll learn that when you make a claim, that you can't back up, you end up looking foolish. Aiming ridicule at people who call you on it just makes you look worse. How can you possibly not get this?

What are you talking about?

AemJeff 08-02-2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whatfur (Post 173109)
What are you talking about?

Gumshoe asked for a link substantiating your claim.

Quote:

Your reply:

Quote:

Purely irrelevant hand waving ("Hey! Look over there! It's Michael Moore!") and a gratuitous (and lame) insult in response to his legitimate request for you to back up your claim. It's not like this doesn't fit a pattern, so I guess my degree of surprise at your incomprehension is fairly limited.

Whatfur 08-02-2010 10:34 PM

First of all I said I saw Breitbart discusssing the less than fully successful stings. I am not obligated to go find an example of it just because any old gumshoe asks for it. I know what I saw...if you or he choose not to believe it...no gum off my shoes.

Gumshoe may have provided a link, but if you go read it you will discover that he really didn't want us to look past his headline.

And is this really Jeff pointing fingers again? Just a couple days ago you snarked a link I included with Althouse only to have me find you making the same point for yourself a couple days later. Go away, you fraud.

Big_Time_Gumshoe 08-02-2010 10:39 PM

Purely irrelevant hand waving ("Hey! Look over there! It's Michael Moore!") and a gratuitous (and lame) insult in response to his legitimate request for you to back up your claim. It's not like this doesn't fit a pattern, so I guess my degree of surprise at your incomprehension is fairly limited.

This.

Furthermore, as you were.

First of all I said I saw Breitbart discusssing the less than fully successful stings. I am not obligated to go find an example of it just because any old gumshoe asks for it. I know what I saw...if you or he choose not to believe it...no gum off my shoes.

You're obligated to because I'm calling you out on it. If you want to shirk that, so be it. Just let the record show Breitbart is a propagandist.

AemJeff 08-02-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whatfur (Post 173121)

Gumshoe may have provided a link, but if you go read it you will discover that he really didn't want us to look past his headline.

And is this really Jeff pointing fingers again? Just a couple days ago you snarked a link I included with Althouse only to have me find you making the same point for yourself a couple days later. Go away, you fraud.

You're have no obligation whatsoever in this regard. What we're discussing is your desire to be seen as somebody with whom it's worth having a discussion.

graz 08-02-2010 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whatfur (Post 173121)
First of all ... I know what I saw...

And B:
Quote:

and I also heard it reported on Fox.

Whatfur 08-02-2010 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AemJeff (Post 173125)
You're have no obligation whatsoever in this regard. What we're discussing is your desire to be seen as somebody with whom it's worth having a discussion.

Oh, here I thought we were discussing how often I show you to be a hypocrite. You added nothing here. Gumshoe is "Big Time", he can fend for himself.

AemJeff 08-02-2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whatfur (Post 173127)
Oh, here I thought we were discussing how often I show you to be a hypocrite. You added nothing here. Gumshoe is "Big Time", he can fend for himself.

Dude. Put your hands in your pockets, and show us your evidence! I'm a hypocrite! I know that. But, I don't believe you when you tell me that you know it, too. Show me, man! Gimme some evidence.

Big_Time_Gumshoe 08-02-2010 11:02 PM

So how many more boogeymen of the left are you going to point to before you produce a link?

Whatfur 08-02-2010 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Time_Gumshoe (Post 173132)
So how many more boogeymen of the left are you going to point to before you produce a link?

You're new here...they are not boogeymen, one is my troll and the other is seemingly a troll in training. In any case, I guess I was wrong...you can't fend for yourself? Do you see a simularity between you and yours trying to make the ACORN story about O'Keefe, Giles, and Breitbart and you and yours here trying to make this discussion about you demanding a link? If I come across it I will be sure to let you know. How about we just talk some more about the link YOU provided?

How about the summary of the findings:

SUMMARY OF INVESTIGATIVE FINDINGS AND CONCLUSIONS

ACORN consisted of a tangle of separate affiliate organizations whose activities and management were confusingly entertwined. ACORN in California was disorganized and very poorly managed. It failed to recruit, train and monitor its employees to ensure compliance with California law.

The recordings establish ACORN employees across the country were willing to discuss with O’Keefe and Giles their plan to conduct a prostitution business, and a few even made suggestions for disguising profits and avoiding detection by law enforcement agencies. The most offensive conversations occurred outside California.

Although highly inappropriate, the evidence does not show that the ACORN employees in California violated state criminal laws in connection with their conversations with O’Keefe and Giles.

O’Keefe and Giles received immunity from prosecution in exchange for providing the full, unedited videotapes. As a result, we did not determine if they violated California’s Invasion of Privacy Act when they recorded the ACORN employees. If the circumstances meet the requirements of the Act, the ACORN employees may be able to bring a private suit against O’Keefe and Giles for recording a confidential conversation without consent.

The San Diego ACORN office most likely violated state civil laws designed to protect personal information, when it disposed of documents with confidential information about its employees, members, and individuals in the community it served. These violations may result in private litigation by the victims if they were injured by the disclosures.

The California Secretary of State discovered four instances of possible voter registration fraud in San Diego in connection with the 2008 election. These cases have been examined by the Secretary of State’s Office and referred to the local district attorney. The district attorney’s office investigated and has filed no criminal charges. We found no allegations or evidence of actual fraudulent votes being cast.

At the inception of our investigation, ACORN and 18 affiliates were delinquent in registering or filing reports with the Attorney General’s Registry of Charitable Trusts. In response to notices from the Registry, all 19 of those entities have now either cured the delinquencies or forfeited their corporate status in California.

ACORN solicited contributions for charitable purposes for victims of Southern California wildfires. ACORN did not properly account for these charitable funds and was unable to tell us if it raised any restricted funds or how the funds were used. We determined that ACORN spent more than it likely raised for the fire victims and therefore further action into this issue is not a wise use of the State’s resources.

ACORN did not file its 2007 tax form with the Franchise Tax Board. The Board will take appropriate action.

Although ACORN’s successor organization in California, ACCE, emphasizes that it is no longer part of ACORN, it is run by the same people, raising concerns about its ability to cure the defects in the organization. ACCE is organized as a California nonprofit public benefit corporation. As a result, its operations will be subject to more oversight by this Office and we will scrutinize its future activities.

ACORN failed to implement internal controls and procedures sufficient to account for and protect charitable assets held in California as required by California law. This lack of appropriate infrastructure raises concerns about ACORN’s use of its charitable funds and grants. However, we found no complaints from any California agency or private foundation that ACORN had misused funds granted and supervised by the agency or foundation. The Lousiana Attorney General and the IRS are investigating ACORN’s finances and use of charitable and grant funds. We will continue to closely monitor those investigations for evidence of illegal activity in California

AemJeff 08-02-2010 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whatfur (Post 173134)

SUMMARY OF INVESTIGATIVE FINDINGS AND CONCLUSIONS
(see linked post)

Quote:

ACORN is hardly a model organization ...

Heh. To the extent that your summary supports any claim made in this thread, it would seem to validate the above.

Your claim... actually, what claim? When I read back looking for a substantive claim you made here, the closest thing I can find is the following:

Quote:

...Doesn't it strike you at all how in the midst of the video controversy ACORN fell like a house of cards when others started to look closer? ...

which looks to me a lot more like a post-hoc rationalization than any sort of coherent theory in regard to anything being discussed. So who's point are you trying to substantiate here?

And, still no linky.

Big_Time_Gumshoe 08-02-2010 11:50 PM

Boogeymen as in Michael Moore, Shirley Sherrod, New Black Panther Party, etc.

I could care less about your army of trolls. Putting that on your resume?

I've got nothing to prove here, you're the one making claims about Breitbart's honesty as a journalist.

If he corrected that story I'd love to see the link.

Whatfur 08-03-2010 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Time_Gumshoe (Post 173136)
Boogeymen as in Michael Moore, Shirley Sherrod, New Black Panther Party, etc.

I could care less about your army of trolls. Putting that on your resume?

I've got nothing to prove here, you're the one making claims about Breitbart's honesty as a journalist.

If he corrected that story I'd love to see the link.

I knew you were not talking about my trolls there Columbo...just figured I would use it as a point of introduction.

Not sure I made claims about his honesty, but I did make comparisons showing that he is not any worse than those on the left. Which was MY point. That and making it clear that your link was a charade as was your attempt to marginalize the ACORN story based on the small % where the workers there acted better the others. BTW, I believe the ACORN shop you were trying to defend was the same one that dumped a bunch of documents with names and SS Numbers etc in a dumpster behind their building when they heard they were going to be investigated??? You know, by Columbo's sidekick, Jerry Brown.

Speaking of...I think it was Peter Falk himself who said "being chased by Columbo is like being nibbled to death by a duck"...Its no wonder you wish to make this about me going and searching for a link. Like I said, I saw it on television...yep COULD have been on FOX because if you remember the MSM had a throttle on this story. I'm sure there are links to that particular discussion as well as other discussions Breitbart and O'Keefe have had. If and when I come across something espousing what I had heard, I will let you and my trolls know. Quack quack.

graz 08-03-2010 10:04 AM

Where's the link?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whatfur (Post 173170)
Not sure ... about his honesty, but ... he is not any worse than those on the left...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whatfur (Post 173170)
If and when I come across something espousing what I had heard...

You'll be sure to post it, so as to honor the legit request ... Till then, it's your honesty in question.

badhatharry 08-03-2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

Anyone who feels like they were misrepresented can certainly sue.

I've been out of the news loop for a while and don't have time to do a search (but somehow can find the time to reply to your post, strange!)

On what grounds does Shirley Sherrod plan to sue Breitbart?

Whatfur 08-03-2010 11:26 AM

Re: Where's the link?

Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 173178)
You'll be sure to post it, so as to honor the legit request ... Till then, it's your honesty in question.

Creep Quack. Doesn't the underside of some bridge need cleaning?

Big_Time_Gumshoe 08-03-2010 11:36 AM

Here comes the intellectual honesty.....oh wait, nope it's just some more animal sounds.

So where's this fictitious correction you've been telling me so much about?

look 08-03-2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 173184)
I've been out of the news loop for a while and don't have time to do a search (but somehow can find the time to reply to your post, strange!)

On what grounds does Shirley Sherrod plan to sue Breitbart?

Probably defamation of character, but I doubt she has standing due to freedom of speech. She'd have a much better chance suing Vilsack for wrongful termination, but I think the fly in her ointment might be if her employee records were examined and found biased in the handling of cases that were brought before her.

Whatfur 08-03-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Time_Gumshoe (Post 173206)
Here comes the intellectual honesty.....oh wait, nope it's just some more animal sounds.

So where's this fictitious correction you've been telling me so much about?

Actually your Vera story is speculation. If he was not just covering his tracks for his abhorrent behavior, why were the police not called until afterwards?

graz 08-03-2010 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whatfur (Post 173268)
Actually your ... story is speculation.

Actually, your credibility is in question. Where is the link that espouses the marriage of Breitbart and legitimacy? You've failed the simple test, again.

TwinSwords 08-03-2010 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 173257)
Probably defamation of character, but I doubt she has standing due to freedom of speech. She'd have a much better chance suing Vilsack for wrongful termination, but I think the fly in her ointment might be if her employee records were examined and found biased in the handling of cases that were brought before her.

Even after getting busted red handed doctoring video to make Sherrod appear to be something she isn't, and to implicate the entire Obama administration by extension, you people just keep on smearing the innocent.

Your smear is especially funny in light of your recent poutrage about Spencer Ackerman wanting to call one of the Wright-baiters "racist." Remember how you called that libel?

look 08-03-2010 08:25 PM

'You people'?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinSwords (Post 173348)
Even after getting busted red handed doctoring video to make Sherrod appear to be something she isn't, and to implicate the entire Obama administration by extension, you people just keep on smearing the innocent.

Your smear is especially funny in light of your recent poutrage about Spencer Ackerman wanting to call one of the Wright-baiters "racist." Remember how you called that libel?

Why, it's just lil' ole me.

I'm under the impression that Bartbreit acknowledged in the body of the text that she reconsidered and referred Spooner to a white lawyer.

Why in the world would anyone hold Breitbart more accountable than Vilsack for her sacking? As reprehensible as his actions were, I think she'd be more likely to win against Vilsack, as I said to harry in the post you quoted. But of course, I'm not a lawyer.

Poutrage? You and B are becoming indistinguishable.

listener 08-03-2010 09:10 PM

Re: 'You people'?

Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 173351)
Why, it's just lil' ole me.

:)

I like the cut of your jib.

look 08-03-2010 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listener (Post 173360)
:)

I like the cut of your jib.

Heh.

AemJeff 08-04-2010 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 173401)
Please provide a link where Lewis specifically says he was called a ******. I've been looking for quite a while and haven't found one.

But I found this.
http://www.riehlworldview.com/.a/6a0...b02f970b-320wi

Was this before or after Shirley's rehabilitation?

You seem to have a problem with black people, harry.

bjkeefe 08-04-2010 05:11 AM

I am faintly amused at this ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 173351)
You and B are becoming indistinguishable.

... in light of the fact that you just got through complaining about being lumped in with other people.

badhatharry 08-04-2010 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AemJeff (Post 173408)
You seem to have a problem with black people, harry.

So I guess there is no link, Jeff. But you'll keep repeating this liberal meme never the less. After all it really doesn't matter if it's true if it advances some agenda, which is kinda where this conversation started.

But it's really curious how when you are asked a pretty straightforward question you come back with "You seem to have a problem with black people". This is such a quintessentially ad hominem answer I would have thought you were smarter than to use it.

Whatfur 08-04-2010 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 173498)
So I guess there is no link, Jeff. But you'll keep repeating this liberal meme never the less. After all it really doesn't matter if it's true if it advances some agenda, which is kinda where this conversation started.

But it's really curious how when you are asked a pretty straightforward question you come back with "You seem to have a problem with black people". This is such a quintessentially ad hominem answer I would have thought you were smarter than to use it.

No linky Jeffy??? Ha.

Big_Time_Gumshoe 08-04-2010 09:19 AM

Liberal meme?

That's a strange descriptor for something republicans don't dispute.

Quote:

Mike Pence - “A couple of weeks before the alleged incident occurred, I was walking across the bridge in Selma, Ala., with John Lewis,” said Pence. “I take at face value what John Lewis said. If John Lewis said he heard it, I believe he’s a man of integrity. And I would denounce those kinds of statements in the strongest possible terms.”
Hell some go as far to justify it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lznn...yer_embedded#!

AemJeff 08-04-2010 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 173498)

Links to articles describing Lewis' account of Tea-Party racism are plentiful. But, I repeat the question. You seem to have an anger issue regarding black people, to judge from that last post. I wonder if you can convince me otherwise. I'd actually thought better of you than that.

badhatharry 08-04-2010 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AemJeff (Post 173504)
Links to articles describing Lewis' account of Tea-Party racism are plentiful. But, I repeat the question. You seem to have an anger issue regarding black people, to judge from that last post. I wonder if you can convince me otherwise. I'd actually thought better of you than that.

I will ask again. Please cite an article wherein John Lewis says he was called a ****** by tea-party activists. To my knowledge there are none. In my mind this says that John Lewis never said this. But what is true is that people who surround him have found it convenient to repeat the charge ad nauseum. They say this to discredit people they don't like. If there is any anger in my mind it would be because of that. I don't like it when people lie.

Whatfur 08-04-2010 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AemJeff (Post 173504)

Not the right linky Jeffy.

AemJeff 08-04-2010 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 173508)
I will ask again. Please cite an article wherein John Lewis says he was called a ****** by tea-party activists. To my knowledge there are none. In my mind this says that John Lewis never said this. But what is true is that people who surround him have found it convenient to repeat the charge ad nauseum. They say this to discredit people they don't like. If there is any anger in my mind it would be because of that. I don't like it when people lie.

I did. You have the claim in the article I linked and Lewis' direct corroboration. What do you think you have to prove here?

Quote:

Demonstrators outside the U.S. Capitol, angry over the proposed health-care bill, shouted "n-" yesterday at Rep. John Lewis, a Georgia congressman and civil rights icon who was nearly beaten to death during an Alabama march in the 1960s.

The protesters also shouted obscenities at other members of the Congressional Black Caucus, lawmakers said.

Capitol police escorted the members of Congress into the Capitol after the confrontation. At least one demonstrator was reported arrested.

"They were shouting, sort of harassing," Lewis said. "But, it's OK, I've faced this before. It reminded me of the '60s. It was a lot of downright hate and anger and people being downright mean."

Lewis said he was leaving the Cannon office building across from the Capitol when protesters shouted, "Kill the bill, kill the bill," he said.

"I said, 'I'm for the bill, I support the bill, I'm voting for the bill,' " Lewis said.

A colleague who was accompanying Lewis said people in the crowd responded by saying, " 'Kill the bill,' then the n-word."

"It surprised me that people are so mean and we can't engage in a civil dialogue and debate," Lewis said.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/inquirer/world...#ixzz0veAzG25b

badhatharry 08-04-2010 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Time_Gumshoe (Post 173503)

Mike Pence - “A couple of weeks before the alleged incident occurred, I was walking across the bridge in Selma, Ala., with John Lewis,” said Pence. “I take at face value what John Lewis said. If John Lewis said he heard it, I believe he’s a man of integrity. And I would denounce those kinds of statements in the strongest possible terms.”

The point is there is nowhere I have found where John Lewis says he heard it or was called it.