Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   General comments on Bloggingheads.tv (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   can you identify (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=7312)

badhatharry 01-26-2012 01:19 PM

can you identify
 
badhatharry?

This is a very funny play. If you're in LA or San Diego or Las Vegas (Sulla) it's a short 6-7 hour drive. Plus, we just had some long awaited snow for your skiing pleasure!

Cheers.

http://www.mammothlakesfoundation.or...r_facebook.JPG

handle 01-26-2012 02:24 PM

Re: can you identify
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 236974)
badhatharry?

This is a very funny play. If you're in LA or San Diego or Las Vegas (Sulla) it's a short 6-7 hour drive. Plus, we just had some long awaited snow for your skiing pleasure!

Cheers.

http://www.mammothlakesfoundation.or...r_facebook.JPG

You are aware that clicking on your disqus username brings up your website, right?
That's how I know you are the bellhop. I kid! I kid!
Actually that's a really cool poster, and I can't pick you out of the lineup.
Break a leg, BH!

badhatharry 01-26-2012 03:12 PM

Re: can you identify
 
Thanks! our director got the poster from the NY production and then had a local photographer photoshop our faces in. It's the 10% rule. (I hope)

And you're right about the username and website thingy. Oh dear. I'll have to start being nicer.

Uhurusasa 02-02-2012 01:58 PM

Re: can you identify
 
my sister sent me this note about our life and times. can you identify?

"I encourage you to watch Independent Lens on your local PBS station on Thursday, February 2, 2012. It comes on at 8:00 p.m. Central Standard Time. The story of Daisy Bates's life before and after the 1957 LR High School integration crisis is compelling."

we were there!

badhatharry 02-07-2012 10:58 AM

Re: can you identify
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uhurusasa (Post 237057)
my sister sent me this note about our life and times. can you identify?

"I encourage you to watch Independent Lens on your local PBS station on Thursday, February 2, 2012. It comes on at 8:00 p.m. Central Standard Time. The story of Daisy Bates's life before and after the 1957 LR High School integration crisis is compelling."

we were there!

Wow! Dramatic times! Did you watch it?

I saw it in the programming but decided not to watch it. I get tired of being reminded of what assholes white people can be.

Uhurusasa 02-07-2012 02:05 PM

Re: can you identify
 
yeah, i recorded it, cause my sister was one of the wise-one commentators. central high was at 14th and park, and we lived at 8th and park. she went there in"59" and i went in "60".

strangely enough, in may 1957, as a six-grader at capitol hill elementary school(segregated), our class went to the state-capitol and viewed the legislators. then we were lead to the governor's office to meet the honorable Orval Faubus! he shook our hands, and was a nice enough guy?? he was probably working on his fall plan to continue segregation at central high.

i have noticed, that european-americans are quite civil, as long as they can have their way!

Daisy Bates was a friend of my family. but she is one of those colored people that i talk about so much. most of the leaders of the NAACP at the time were practically european(looking). my maternal-grandfather was african to the core. he always reminded me that daisy and her friends were always borrowing money from him, but would never socialize with him. every summer he wrote a column in the "State Press", daisy and LC's newspaper about his trips "seeing the USA in his chevrolet(1932)".i used to sell the paper and was a member of the NAACP youth group.

my fraternal-great-grandfather(who i knew) was quite european looking, leaving me with a golden brown complexion(colored and quite acceptable in african american society(well i don't have "good hair")).

Oh using the black/white template, why is Obama not a dark skinned white person??

the skin color of my mother and her father was black, and they are two of the most intelligent people that i have ever met( i am slightly biased). so if race is just a social construct, why do we keep using racial language in describing some cultural and ethnic groups. my neighbors are from mainland china, and i never call them yellow. my friend from whom i buy oranges and stone-fruit is mexican-american(and knows about as much about "R&B" as i do) is never called a brown man(i call him mestizo for the hell of it).

i realize that european/african-american is more print, but a little more typing is less important than losing the point about ethnicity and culture. we people of the world, are steeped in the racism of the global european(anglo-american) hegemony. i was watching aljazeera-english, the other day, and people in India, China, and Qatar were talking about black and white people, not african and european in the U.S. context(i never hear much about brown, red, yellow people).

perhaps fish are oblivious to water, and the world is steeped in empire, and everything is transparent to the user. the insidiousness of "1984 and A Brave New World" gives me pause(hmm,gives me pause?)!

as the great(self proclaimed) alto saxophonist Sonny Simmons once said after cursing-me-out:

---------NOW!!!!!

badhatharry 02-07-2012 03:28 PM

Re: can you identify
 
I had a student who, on one of those 'identify your race' forms, described herself as black. After I got to know her better I asked her why because she looked white to me. Her dad was black.

I guess I have always assumed that if you have any black...you are black or embrace it, per Obama. But of course, as you point out, this was not always so.

Remember that hideous film, Imitation of Life? Lana Turner was such a horrible actress.

Uhurusasa 02-09-2012 12:21 AM

Re: can you identify
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 237072)
I had a student who, on one of those 'identify your race' forms, described herself as black. After I got to know her better I asked her why because she looked white to me. Her dad was black.

I guess I have always assumed that if you have any black...you are black or embrace it, per Obama. But of course, as you point out, this was not always so.

Remember that hideous film, Imitation of Life? Lana Turner was such a horrible actress.

African-American History Month

check out PBS:

Underground Railroad: The William Still Story

300 Miles to Freedom

Whispers of Angels: A Story of the Underground Railroad

POV Traces of the Trade: A Story from the Deep North.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.