Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   Life, the Universe and Everything (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Fast and the Furious (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=7078)

Sulla the Dictator 10-05-2011 12:59 AM

Fast and the Furious
 
I'm surprised this isn't a major story in every media outlet. Perhaps some of my friends on the left in these parts can explain why this disaster doesn't horrify them? Deliberately distributing (And then losing) guns to drug cartels is bad enough. The fact that people were killed with those guns, one of whom was a border patrol agent, is a scandal, no?

Starwatcher162536 10-05-2011 03:37 AM

Re: Fast and the Furious
 
Did the guns in question be of a type that is not widely available? If not, it's a rather big fuck up. If so, not so much. If it weren't with those supplied guns it would have just been other guns. Since we are already in the assassination business we should just drone the cartels. The drug cartels do more harm then terrorists, probably by a factor of at least 10,000.

chiwhisoxx 10-05-2011 04:27 AM

Re: Fast and the Furious
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sulla the Dictator (Post 227470)
I'm surprised this isn't a major story in every media outlet. Perhaps some of my friends on the left in these parts can explain why this disaster doesn't horrify them? Deliberately distributing (And then losing) guns to drug cartels is bad enough. The fact that people were killed with those guns, one of whom was a border patrol agent, is a scandal, no?

I think the fact that people happened to get killed isn't what makes it a scandal. I'm still waiting for someone to explain the underlying logic and the potential upside here, cause all I see is the potential (and the results) of massive fucking disaster.

Wonderment 10-05-2011 05:06 AM

Re: Fast and the Furious
 
Quote:

Since we are already in the assassination business we should just drone the cartels. The drug cartels do more harm then terrorists, probably by a factor of at least 10,000.
Or you could just stop buying the drugs. Problem solved. Nobody dead.

sugarkang 10-05-2011 10:15 PM

Re: Fast and the Furious
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonderment (Post 227478)
Or you could just stop buying the drugs. Problem solved. Nobody dead.

By stop buying drugs you mean we could have government monopolize the drug trade to undercut the drug cartels out of existence and use that revenue to meet fiscal shortfalls because it's the closest thing to decriminalization that a pro-drug-war guy like Mark Kleiman could be persuaded to adopt.

Or did you really mean that we should be promoting abstinence only education?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.