Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   General comments on Bloggingheads.tv (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Christopher Hitchens (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=7243)

thprop 12-16-2011 10:11 AM

Christopher Hitchens

The world is a lesser place without him.

His diavlog with Bob (December 9, 2009):
Part one
Part two

A testy diavlog with Eric Alterman (October 13, 2008)

Ocean 12-16-2011 01:39 PM

Re: Christopher Hitchens

Quote:

Originally Posted by thprop (Post 234785)
The world is a lesser place without him.

His diavlog with Bob (December 9, 2009):
Part one
Part two

A testy diavlog with Eric Alterman (October 13, 2008)

Thanks, thprop. Here's another thread.

harkin 12-16-2011 03:20 PM

His list of greatest hits is pretty long but I would offer his speeches (many at the Commonwealth Club and available online) on Orwell, North Korea, Iraq, Thomas Paine etc.

One of his best moments was his debate with Shashi Tharoor regarding the Danish cartoons and the best approach to people who threaten murder/violence for offending their sensibilities.

Hitch was one of the few writers to have answered my correspondence. He is also one of the few who it just doesn't feel right to say "rest in peace" regarding his demise.

Didn't always agree with him, but was always willing to listen to his side. He will be sorely missed.

AemJeff 12-16-2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harkin (Post 234822)
His list of greatest hits is pretty long but I would offer his speeches (many at the Commonwealth Club and available online) on Orwell, North Korea, Iraq, Thomas Paine etc.

One of his best moments was his debate with Shashi Tharoor regarding the Danish cartoons and the best approach to people who threaten murder/violence for offending their sensibilities.

Hitch was one of the few writers to have answered my correspondence. He is also one of the few who it just doesn't feel right to say "rest in peace" regarding his demise.

Didn't always agree with him, but was always willing to listen to his side. He will be sorely missed.

harkin and I have no substantive disagreements here, and I fully endorse the last two grafs. Worth noting.

apple 12-16-2011 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harkin (Post 234822)

Shashi changes his mind during the dialog. At first, he says that governments will have to rein in "offensive" expressions to keep order, cloaked in the usual crap about responsibility, and later on, he appears to disavow it by claiming that he does not favor any government intervention.

harkin 12-17-2011 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apple (Post 234826)
Shashi changes his mind during the dialog. At first, he says that governments will have to rein in "offensive" expressions to keep order, cloaked in the usual crap about responsibility, and later on, he appears to disavow it by claiming that he does not favor any government intervention.

I'll have to listen again (havent done so since I first heard it) because I thought he just got half-hearted, I didn't pick up on the reversal.

Tharoor seems well-intentioned trying to prevent violence while failing to understand that he's enabling the violent to supress basic rights, therefore actually endorsing violence as political action.

I think he was taken aback a bit when CH explained the origins of "yelling fire in a crowded theatre" being an excuse to not only supress anti-war pamphleteers but to throw them in prison for life. I once heard CH give a great analysis of Lincoln's extreme actions regarding basic rights during the civil war. The anomaly of what's OK to do to preserve a union vs what's not OK to appease the violently religious is certainly remarkable.