Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   Diavlog comments (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Songs of the Bushmen (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=2270)

Bloggingheads 10-09-2008 10:47 PM

Songs of the Bushmen

AemJeff 10-09-2008 11:11 PM

Re: Songs of the Bushmen

Harry Shearer! How cool is that? Here's a reason to throw Mickey under the bus.

jeffpeterson 10-09-2008 11:20 PM

Bob objects to McCain drawing attention to Sen. Obama's association with an unrepentant domestic terrorist because it will impair his ability to govern. Two questions: 1) Is a candidate not to be evaluated for the alliances (s)he has thought it valuable to make in the course of ascending the greasy pole? 2) Would you think it worthy of mention in the campaign if McCain's associates included an unrepentant bomber of abortion clinics? I thought so.

claymisher 10-09-2008 11:20 PM

Awesome! I know bjkeefe will like this one.

Doesn't make up for Corsi, though.

Arkie_in_CT 10-09-2008 11:29 PM

Gotta love Harry Shearer. He brings the dirt as effectively as does Mickey, if not moreso. ...

Sgt Schultz 10-09-2008 11:35 PM

Two guys.
Four feet, none ever touching the ground.

uncle ebeneezer 10-09-2008 11:38 PM

Wow, Monty Burns/Principle Skinner/Spinal Tap bass player! Nice get Bob.

nikkibong 10-10-2008 12:28 AM

it's moments like these that the dingalink was created for:

http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/150...1:25&out=11:32

breadcrust 10-10-2008 02:40 AM

jeffpeterson,

Read about G Gordon Liddy: Advises murdering federal agents. Advocates assassination of journalists he disagrees with. Hates democracy and took steps to subvert it. Has never apologized. Has contributed $5,000 to McCain campaigns. Is a close friend of John McCain's.

Oops.

violetcrown 10-10-2008 02:54 AM

Such a nice surprise to see one of my heroes in the Mickey seat, and nice to hear him in a dialogue (Adlai Stevenson! It all makes sense now) since I'm used to him in his singularly monologic Le Show format.

Jeff:
If McCain was associated with an unrepentant bomber of abortion clinics in the way that Obama did (he'd need a time machine since when McCain was 8 there certainly weren't any such bombers) that is, associated with him 30 years after his crimes, and in a context that has nothing to do with abortion issues, I think he would deserve an equal amount of slack.

And somehow, if he had, I just can't picture someone at an Obama-Biden rally yelling "KILL HIM" about McCain, at least not in a way that made sense, or was tolerated by the Democratic candidates. You can say that says something about the supporters and not the candidates, but to me, that's a meta-message that's worth something.

robarin 10-10-2008 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffpeterson (Post 93725)
Bob objects to McCain drawing attention to Sen. Obama's association with an unrepentant domestic terrorist because it will impair his ability to govern.

Bob may be right, but I still found his argument somewhat unpersuasive. All negative campaigning directed at the eventual winner has this effect, does it not?

(not really a reply to jeffpeterson, just a convenient quote)
________
HONDA GOLD WING SPECIFICATIONS
________
Head Shop

Ray 10-10-2008 09:41 AM

Quote:

Would you think it worthy of mention in the campaign if McCain's associates included an unrepentant bomber of abortion clinics? I thought so.

That depends.

Would this hypothetical bomber have faced charges? Or would he never have suffered prosecution because the federal government broke too many laws investigating him ever to press charges?

You see: it would bother me if people called said bomber a terrorist, on the one hand, and yet, on the other, they agreed that his crimes merit no sentence.

As is the case with Bill Ayers.

ohcomeon 10-10-2008 10:19 AM

http://campaignsilo.firedoglake.com/...e-crazy-bitch/

Old school and still great.

Ocean 10-10-2008 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohcomeon (Post 93741)

That's my kind of gal!

I wish I could get to her age and have that wit!

Joel_Cairo 10-10-2008 10:48 AM

Sage advice from Montgomery Burns.

Faced with a global financial crisis, What Would Mr. Burns Do?

Larry Bird 10-10-2008 12:02 PM

Boring.

thouartgob 10-10-2008 02:53 PM

Al Qaeda is full of McCainiacs !!

A real 2-fer for the forces of evil would be to speed up their terrorist plans to throw their weight behind McCain and savage the economies of the entire "1st world". An attack before november could bring us heathens to our knees quite literally.

If McCain was a real patriot he would bow out know and save civilization as we know it.

Xelgaex 10-10-2008 03:27 PM

Quote:

Would you think it worthy of mention in the campaign if McCain's associates included an unrepentant bomber of abortion clinics? I thought so.

Can you say straw-man?

How 'bout we change this up to say that it happened in the late 1940's (when McCain was a child) and that by the time, oh say in the late 70's, McCain met him when they were working in education? Oh and how about the clinic bomb didn't kill anyone, (though for the 40's it might should be something other than a clinic) the associate wasn't convicted due to prosecutorial misconduct, he now works as a college professor, the mayor of the town he lives in has stood up for him, and McCain has shown no indication of agreeing with his actions or his philosophy?

In that situation, would I care? No. If Obama was down six points with less than a month to go, might his campaign think about using such a connection? Probably. Would it still be wrong? Yes.

Edit: I realize that Ray and violetcrown said much the same thing, but this talking point just annoys me.

osmium 10-10-2008 10:39 PM

Jazz Odyssey

Hell yeah. You know, barely even a week ago, I was gonna post a comment with this link where Will Wilkinson suggests a certain metaphor for the financial bailout and juxtapose it with On The Bass Derek Smalls, He Wrote This.

But I was too lazy to do it. But this, this is a sign.

edhesq 10-11-2008 01:40 AM

Would Bob hold up a picture of Obama with a bone through his nose?

Never mind a billboard, would Bob even hold up for the camera a picture of Obama with a bone through his nose?

bjkeefe 10-21-2008 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claymisher (Post 93726)
Awesome! I know bjkeefe will like this one.

Got that right! I live for Le Show, and have, since the early '90s.

Quote:

Doesn't make up for Corsi, though.
In principle, I agree. But I have to say, until you mentioned it, I'd forgotten he'd even appeared.

bjkeefe 10-21-2008 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohcomeon (Post 93741)

Yes she is. Glad to see she's still around and kicking. I remember her fondly from her days on Mary Tyler Moore.

BTW, I have to say that Craig Ferguson is one of the few reasons I regret not having a TV. Did you ever see this?

joelpietersen 01-29-2009 11:20 PM

I just really love Harry Shearer! Certainly one of the best I've seen so far! I'm a big fan!