Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   Life, the Universe and Everything (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The Vatican and extraterrestrial life (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=4320)

Ocean 11-10-2009 10:07 PM

The Vatican and extraterrestrial life

I just read an article about the Vatican's initiative to study the implications of discovering extraterrestrial life for religion (among other things I would assume).

Does anybody have any thoughts about that?

What about a diavlog?

AemJeff 11-10-2009 10:31 PM

Re: The Vatican and extraterrestrial life

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean (Post 137458)
I just read an article about the Vatican's initiative to study the implications of discovering extraterrestrial life for religion (among other things I would assume).

What about a diavlog?

Eppur si muove! (The Church, that is.)

bjkeefe 11-10-2009 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean (Post 137458)

What about a diavlog?

I've long thought that chief among the reasons why I wanted to see extraterrestrial intelligence discovered was for the comedy of watching the Vatican's contortions as they tried to "clarify" what they had been saying for the past 2000 years.

Ocean 11-10-2009 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 137462)
I've long thought that chief among the reasons why I wanted to see extraterrestrial intelligence discovered was for the comedy of watching the Vatican's contortions as they tried to "clarify" what they had been saying for the past 2000 years.

Adapt to survive...

Francoamerican 11-11-2009 06:07 AM

As Voltaire supposedly said, "God is a circle whose center is nowhere and whose circumference is everywhere."

So if there are extraterrestrials, the Church can always call on Voltaire to explain that they have been saved. Assuming of course that God the father is the same as the Son and the Holy Ghost too.

Ocean 12-02-2009 10:24 PM

A brief follow up from our friend Stephen Colbert.

Bobby G 12-03-2009 02:50 PM

C.S. Lewis talked about this possibility at length, in two of his three science fiction novels--Out of the Silent Planet and Perelandra--as well as in an essay called "Religion and Rocketry". Here's a commentary on it.

At any rate, I confess that I don't see what the problem is supposed to be should we discover intelligent, extraterrestrial life.

Ocean 12-03-2009 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby G (Post 141130)
C.S. Lewis talked about this possibility at length, in two of his three science fiction novels--Out of the Silent Planet and Perelandra--as well as in an essay called "Religion and Rocketry". Here's a commentary on it.

At any rate, I confess that I don't see what the problem is supposed to be should we discover intelligent, extraterrestrial life.

I don't see a problem either, but, of course, I'm not aware of how this could affect the Vatican's interests.

The most interesting aspect is that they would be so actively interested now.