Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   General comments on Bloggingheads.tv (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The Bloggingheads Redesign (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=1541)

Brenda 12-13-2007 11:05 AM

The Bloggingheads Redesign

Post comments about the redesign here, or start your own thread in this forum.

thprop 12-13-2007 01:43 PM

Re: The Bloggingheads Redesign

Can you add a feature for the viewer to select a background color. Easy to do in HTML. I prefer the green to the stark white - easier on the eyes.

RightyDug 12-13-2007 02:19 PM

Help me! Help me! I can't get my fix. Mickey is diavloggin' & my player won't run! I get html errors at the site. & after I download the latest flash player I get this message "Get the Flash Player to see this player. " where Rob & Mickey should be.

Please! bring back the green or add a paypal button. Just do something to allow me to hear what's going on. I'm begging you.

RightyDug

mjdd1981 12-13-2007 02:39 PM

first time poster!
On my RSS feed it no longer lists the names of the diavloggers (it lists the cute little titles, e.g. "Goodbye to All That Green," but I'm more interested in who the participants are). Am I doing something wrong, or is there any hope of fixing this?
I GUESS I can keep doing the really onerous work of navigating to the site itself instead of just checking the feed...

Love the BHTV!

bjkeefe 12-13-2007 03:13 PM

Gripe: New Messages Don't Stand Out

Is there a way to make new (i.e., unread by me) messages within a given thread more noticeable? As far as I can see, there is no difference in the message icon or associated text to help it stand out from the rest of the messages. This could be a real pain when the thread gets enough messages.

Wolfgangus 12-13-2007 03:18 PM

I am getting auto-logged out after about 30 minutes.
I can't change my password, it keeps telling me the two things I entered are not the same, even if I cut-and-paste my new password into both boxes.
The link to the old phorums in your other message is broken, I see no way on the site of looking at them.
Not that I need it anymore, but the links on the site and in the emails to the password reset screen are broken too.
I don't like that we can't see "NEW" on the new messages in the heirarchical tree view of forum comments.
I don't like that the heirarchical view is so short; it is like one inch or something. It should be half the screen.
I don't like being referred to as a "Junior Member". It is insulting.

bjkeefe 12-13-2007 03:39 PM

Wolf:

Quote:

I am getting auto-logged out after about 30 minutes.
Did you see my reply in the other thread about checking the "remember me" box?

Quote:

The link to the old phorums in your other message is broken, I see no way on the site of looking at them.
You can visit the old forums directly: http://bloggingheads.tv/phorum/list.php?1

It appears that no new messages may be posted at the moment, though.

Quote:

Not that I need it anymore, but the links on the site and in the emails to the password reset screen are broken too.
Try editing in the location bar if you get a "page not found" page: substitute brainwaveweb.com for bloggingheads.tv

Quote:

I don't like that we can't see "NEW" on the new messages in the heirarchical tree view of forum comments.
Heartily agreed. This is by far the worst aspect that I have noticed so far.

Quote:

I don't like that the heirarchical view is so short; it is like one inch or something. It should be half the screen.
Agreed.

Quote:

Agreed. Maybe your (our) status will change after some amount of posts. Or maybe it's just the case that anyone who isn't an admin is a junior member.

kj 12-13-2007 03:41 PM

Change! Awwwwwwww! Awwwwwww! And ditto on the junior member crap. I haven't poured my heart and soul into Bloggingheads.tv for the past 2 decades to be referred to as a Junior member. I want something with Grand in front of it, like Grand Master or Grand Pa or maybe just plain Grand. That's classy.

thprop 12-13-2007 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfgangus (Post 66357)

Your member status changes with the number of posts you make. I am sure that BN, BJ, GC and you will move up to the next level within a few days. The number of posts and the name of the levels are up to the administrator - i.e. Brenda. I noticed she already took a shot at you. Be nice or she might invent a whole new category - infant? - just for you.

thprop 12-13-2007 04:24 PM

Re: Gripe: New Messages Don't Stand Out

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 66354)
Is there a way to make new (i.e., unread by me) messages within a given thread more noticeable? As far as I can see, there is no difference in the message icon or associated text to help it stand out from the rest of the messages. This could be a real pain when the thread gets enough messages.

Brendan - If you click the "New Posts" link at the top of the page, it will show you threads that have had new posts since you last logged in. I don't think it will highlight individual posts you have not read - you will have to check the time.

I would not use the subscribe feature. It is hard to refine and you may get flooded with emails announcing new posts. You should be able to let you know when one of your posts has drawn a response.

bjkeefe 12-13-2007 04:30 PM

thprop:

Thanks for the help. I have noticed the New Posts link, and it's better than nothing, I'll grant. I also noticed that the page listing the threads will show an icon that points to the "first new post." But neither of these is nearly as straightforward as being able to scan a list of messages for ones that are flagged as new.

There are lots of features to like about the new forum software. It's too bad about this one shortcoming.

TwinSwords 12-13-2007 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kj (Post 66364)
Change! Awwwwwwww! Awwwwwww! And ditto on the junior member crap. I haven't poured my heart and soul into Bloggingheads.tv for the past 2 decades to be referred to as a Junior member. I want something with Grand in front of it, like Grand Master or Grand Pa or maybe just plain Grand. That's classy.

The "junior member" terminology is default vBulletin membership ranking based on the number of posts you've created.

If any of the BHTV staff have time on their hands, they could grant membership based on the number of posts a user created in the Phorum environment.

They can also relabel the titles.

I feel sorry for Bob and his staff: All people do after a new site is launched is bitch and moan. It's going to take some getting used to, but it's a big improvement.

Many kudos to Bob and his staff for their hard work!

TwinSwords 12-13-2007 05:26 PM

Bug Report

Bug on this page: http://brainwaveweb.com/search/?to_d...&search=Search

The onmouseout event on the four buttons at the top (about | store | search | forum) is not working correctly; the images change color onmouseover, but don't change back onmouseout.

TwinSwords 12-13-2007 05:35 PM

Another Problem

I think the emails that are being sent out are going to cause problems for a lot of users.

They say stuff like this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by The 1st Email
To reset your password, please visit the following page:
[COLOR="red"]/forum/login.php?a=pwd&u=335&i=89910545 [/COLOR]

And...

Quote:

Originally Posted by The 2nd Email
To change your password, please visit this page:[COLOR="Red"] /forum/profile.php?do=editpassword [/COLOR]

Those links won't work, and there are many users who will have no idea how to append them to the site's domain name to make them work.

Why not send out complete URLs?

TwinSwords 12-13-2007 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 66374)
thprop:

Thanks for the help. I have noticed the New Posts link, and it's better than nothing, I'll grant. I also noticed that the page listing the threads will show an icon that points to the "first new post." But neither of these is nearly as straightforward as being able to scan a list of messages for ones that are flagged as new.

There are lots of features to like about the new forum software. It's too bad about this one shortcoming.

The threads with new posts will rise to the top of the list within each subforum. And threads with new posts should also be bold. So it should not be a problem once you adjust to it.

vBulletin is far and away the leading forum software in existence, and it got that way because it works so well. Give it some time and I think you'll come to prefer it vastly over that horrendous Phorum software we were suffering through previously.

bjkeefe 12-13-2007 05:53 PM

Twin:

I agree that I'll likely adjust. But I think my gripe about no flagging of the messages within a particular thread is a legitimate one.

I didn't hate the Phorum software so much, except for the times when it got sluggish. I do agree that the vBulletin package seems more slick and feature-rich.

bjkeefe 12-13-2007 06:16 PM

Looks like one complaint was addressed

Now nobody is a Junior Member, apparently.

TwinSwords 12-13-2007 06:17 PM

Folks,
Note the two little buttons circled in red below. These can be used to instantly jump to the first new post in any given thread, and to jump to the end of any given thread.

New threads, and threads containing new posts, will jump to the top of the list in their sub-forum.

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/2...umlinksea6.png

There is also an item "Today's Posts" located under the Quick Links option on the menu bar, which takes you to this page:

http://www.brainwaveweb.com/forum/se...?searchid=1004

Brenda 12-13-2007 06:36 PM

Thanks to Fernando De La Rue for helping to fix the new-post icons.

Milton 12-13-2007 07:21 PM

Twinswords- Thanks for that tip about the navbar on the search page; should be fixed now...

bjkeefe 12-13-2007 07:57 PM

Date problem (potential)

This is a minor problem, and low priority while other issues are being addressed, but I think it's worth keeping in mind: The date on the video page for a given diavlog does not include a year. Since BH.tv is already in year 2 of its GMJ, it's probably worth removing the potential for ambiguity.

(GMJ = Global Media Juggernaut. But you knew that.)

bobblehead 12-13-2007 08:47 PM

Hi,
First time poster here and I just wanted to say that I like the re-design and layout of the new site. It has a little too much white for my liking but I can come to live with it. One suggestion though - the section heading "top topics" rolls off the mouth a little funny. Maybe it should be "Recent Topics/Popular Topics"??

--bobblehead

thprop 12-13-2007 08:53 PM

Actually, the third calendar year. The first diavlog was November 1, 2005. Hard to believe, but for a few months back then, Bob and Mickey diavlogged on an almost daily basis. So yes, we need to include the year on the diavlog.

TwinSwords 12-13-2007 09:51 PM

Here's another little bug:

On the Search page, when a list of past diavlogs is displayed, there is a little gray box labeled "show topics."

This is labeled "show topics" even though the topics are already showing.

If you click it, list of topics disappears -- the opposite of what the label promises.

If you click it again, the topics reappear, and the label changes to say "Hide Topics."

It appears that the intention was for the label to default to say "hide topics," OR the list of topics is supposed to be hidden by default. Either one of these would fix the problem.

Update: This isn't happening in Firefox. In Firefox, the list of topics is hidden by default, so the "show topics" label makes sense. In IE 7, the list of topics is displayed by default.

Wolfgangus 12-13-2007 11:13 PM

Re: Adios, Muchachos

Well, this might be it for me; this interface has become too much frikkin' trouble to use.

1) The thread view window is too damn small.
2) It resets every time you click on a message, so you have to scroll it down again to see the tree you are in.
3) On the old Phorum, you could click in and see where the new messages were, IN THE TREE VIEW, so you had some sense of which conversations were being answered, or which new messages you wanted to read. Without the "NEW" tag there is no sense of place in the comments section, and I am not going to peer through this tiny little tree view window with the microscopic type and scroll up and down when I can't even tell if I have read the stuff before or not.

Whatever else you think of this great new design, it is not commenter friendly, and for me, that makes it not worth watching at all. I'll check back in a few weeks. It is quite a disappointment, Bob. I know you won't miss me, but you didn't put yourself in my shoes very well; the only reason I watch the video is to comment and interact; if I was watching for passive content I can get ten times the content on public television.

TwinSwords 12-13-2007 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfgangus (Post 66441)
Well, this might be it for me; this interface has become too much frikkin' trouble to use.

1) The thread view window is too damn small.
2) It resets every time you click on a message, so you have to scroll it down again to see the tree you are in.
3) On the old Phorum, you could click in and see where the new messages were, IN THE TREE VIEW, so you had some sense of which conversations were being answered, or which new messages you wanted to read. Without the "NEW" tag there is no sense of place in the comments section, and I am not going to peer through this tiny little tree view window with the microscopic type and scroll up and down when I can't even tell if I have read the stuff before or not.

Whatever else you think of this great new design, it is not commenter friendly, and for me, that makes it not worth watching at all. I'll check back in a few weeks. It is quite a disappointment, Bob. I know you won't miss me, but you didn't put yourself in my shoes very well; the only reason I watch the video is to comment and interact; if I was watching for passive content I can get ten times the content on public television.

I understand your agony, but I honestly believe you will come to like it (the new forum software) if you give it a while to grow on you.

First of all, I would strongly recommend AGAINST using the threaded view. You might be inclined to use the threaded view since the previous forum software was threaded, but it just doesn't work as well with vBulletin. vBulletin was intended for linear threads.

So how do you keep track of who is answering whom? People need to use the "quote" button when responding so that the text they are responding to is embedded in their response.

Once you learn the various bells and whistles, you'll have no trouble finding the newest posts and responses. The software has several features to enable this. One of the "problems" with well-designed and feature-rich software is that it takes time to learn. Many users don't want to take that time, leading to....:
[INDENT]The Paradox of the Active User[/INDENT][INDENT]The "paradox of the active user" is a concept introduced by [COLOR=#0000ff]John M. Carroll[/COLOR] and [COLOR=#0000ff]Mary Beth Rosson[/COLOR] (then at IBM, now at Penn State) to explain a common observation in several user studies done at the IBM User Interface Institute in the early 1980s (later confirmed by many other studies, including my own): Users never read manuals but start using the software immediately. They are motivated to get started and to get their immediate task done: they don't care about the system as such and don't want to spend time up front on getting established, set up, or going through learning packages. The "paradox of the active user" is a paradox because users would save time in the long term by taking some initial time to optimize the system and learn more about it. But that's not how people behave in the real world, so we cannot allow engineers to build products for an idealized rational user when real humans are irrational: we must design for the way users actually behave. [/INDENT]

TwinSwords 12-13-2007 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfgangus (Post 66441)
It is quite a disappointment, Bob. I know you won't miss me, but you didn't put yourself in my shoes very well; the only reason I watch the video is to comment and interact; if I was watching for passive content I can get ten times the content on public television.

In Bob's defense, he didn't design the forum; this is pretty much an out-oof-the-box installation of the vBulletin product. [LIST][*]http://www.vbulletin.com/[/LIST]Please don't abandon the site. You will be missed if you leave.

vBulletin has been around for years and has been aggressively updated and expanded in response to the needs and desires of millions of users. It's one of the most exhaustively tested pieces of software in existence. It can be a bit challening to adjust to, but every feature and detail represents hours of debate, discussion, and careful consideration of what works best for users.

kevinjudd 12-14-2007 12:13 AM

Great redesign. Between the Flash and the redesign, the site has a wonderful appearance. Keep up the good work.

bjkeefe 12-14-2007 08:23 AM

Brenda:

Thanks to you for seeking out help, and to Fernando for providing it. I like the new color coding.

Ideally, the new messages would be flagged with text (say, the word "new"). That way, one can use the browser's find function to get to the new posts directly, rather than having to do an eyeball grep. But the color coding is a big step in the right direction.

Thanks again.

Wolfgangus 12-14-2007 09:38 AM

Then they GOT IT WRONG. As a consultant for 30 years at every level of technology management, I say this forum sucks. It is full of screen clutter that passes LESS information than the simpler Phorum model, in the interest of adding other crap commentors don't need.

The icon driven bold and such would be a welcome addition, if it were an ADDITION instead of a REPLACEMENT for another feature: We get this fancy Word-style typing interface at the expense of losing the "NEW" tag that gave us our one and only sense of place and context in conversations. We can provide emphasis in other ways, including CAPS or ***stars***. Plus we already had italics and bold and quotes.

So vBulletin was designed for linear posting? Great! That makes it precisely the ***wrong choice*** for BHTV, doesn't it? Because our comments are not linear, they are group discussions, and vBulletin destroys the group.

To me this seems like the logical extension of Bob's misunderstanding of his own product. The new front page looks great, but at what expense? We lose full screen mode, so now we get to watch a tiny 2x4 inch conversation. That sucks. We switch to flash, but at what expense? We can no longer choose 1.1 or 1.2 or 1.3 speed, we are forced into either 1x or chipmunk speed. The entire purpose of the front page is to select and watch a video comfortably; which is a 30 second exercise. The front page could have been fixed in five minutes by changing the vomit-green background color, period.

And now the comment section is completely disintegrated, the type is too small for me to read without eyestrain (Yes, I know my age, thank you), the thread window is too small to be useful, and the whole damn thing is too jumpy. The extra lookup features would be welcome if they were additions, but they are not, they are tradeoffs, and what we are losing (simplicity, legibility, and context) is too high a price to pay for superior typesetting.

Bob seems to think BHTV is supposed to be TV, and from my POV he couldn't be more wrong. I comment on other boards but BHTV got 95% of my time, because there was a community here and group discussions and one-on-one conversations that could be followed easily. No more. The videos are incidental, and by extension the entire front page is incidental; the whole point of the videos is to provide topics for discussion. Bob seems to think the videos are entertainment in their own right; and they are not; if I wanted to gain information there are far faster ways to do that than spend 75 minutes listening to two people with gross misunderstandings of their topics pontificate on their takes. (Zimmer interviews excluded).

The video sets the tone and topic for the conversation to come; the value of BHTV for the viewer is the ability to disagree, expand, provide additional evidence and ask questions, and get answers from other viewers.

As far as I can tell, Bob takes every opportunity to enshrine the video part and every opportunity to destroy the community part. The tree view of conversations is the MOST IMPORTANT part of BHTV, the list of forums is the MOST IMPORTANT part of BHTV, the floating to the top of the forums with new comments is THE MOST IMPORTANT part of BHTV. Forum management and encouraging and preserving this sense of community is the most important part of BHTV.

And apparently, if this is indeed a drop-in of vBulletin, Bob spent 90% of his time and money on the front page, which is the least important part of his site, and 10% of his time and money on the most important part. The new front page looks great, but where is the added functionality? There is less than none; we have lost features (like a full screen mode and multiple speeds). Everything else is just a rearrangement of features we had on the old front page.

In my opinion, the redesign is a flashy failure. Deployed full of broken links, deployed with a complete loss of the existing community, deployed with the most important facility, the comment board, practically dysfunctional.

I've been programming computers since 1973 (and still am, including a consultation on a big dotNet system just last year), don't TELL me you can't get the old forums and message counts into this new format. They are stored SOMEWHERE for god's sake, you are just too lazy to get it done. And WTF is going on with the broken links? You couldn't get one damn programmer to sit down on a pilot system as a regular user, and see if he could log in and change his password? Apparently you were in such a hurry to deploy you couldn't be bothered with a live test.

The redesign just emphasizes Bob's flawed understanding of what makes BHTV a website worth visiting. He has opted for flash over content. And Bob, if by "content" you think I mean videos, you are wrong: The valuable content on your site is 75% forum and 25% blogging heads. And every change you make knocks another block out from under the forum members. Oh, excuse me, "Junior" members (yes, I know the moniker was deleted, but it just goes to show how little regard Bob has for us; he can't be bothered to get the message counts into the new system or even bothered to notice the category exists and is insulting. Forget the thousand messages I've posted and the time in grade that represents, I would be insulted if I had just one! How is ANY ranking system gooing to make commentors feel? "Oh, I'm just a junior, BJ and BN are seniors, they outrank me.")

Well, there you go, Bob. As I have seen in twenty some-odd technology companies over the past 25 years or so, you managed to focus all your effort on precisely the wrong thing when it comes to your most critical service. Congratulations; you walk in the footsteps of stumbling giants.

garbagecowboy 12-14-2007 09:59 AM

I agee. I hate the new forum, and the redesign.

Hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it.

Glad to see you've got the ads up finally; turning this baby into a cash-cow is probably worth alienating everyone who has followed this site for months or more than a year now.

Can I use this new AWSEOME WYSIYG editor to use profane emoticons to express my disgust?

http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/...AR15firing.gifhttp://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/dvv/boom.gif
http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/corky/corkysm59.gif
http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/...otine_anim.gif

Wolfgangus 12-14-2007 10:02 AM

P.S.

And by the "NEW" tag I mean what is new for me. You will all notice that Phorum kept track of which posts you had read, and kept this information on the server, not in cookies, because if you logged in from a different computer it was always up to date. It isn't that frikkin' hard to do.

The current forum system has opted out of user-specific information to use timestamps instead. This will save it about 10MB of disk space, which we can calculate is worth about ten cents. Not to mention the 3 cents worth of processing time it might take to look up your record for a few hundred posts in any given forum; that is going to cost a disk read. Hooray for cost savings. Of course it is all consumed by rendering this useless Word style typesetting interface; but what the hell. Let us not examine our justfications with too critical an eye. Showmanship over content, that's how BHTV rolls.

garbagecowboy 12-14-2007 10:14 AM

I agree. The loss of clear threading and displaying which posts are new to you is horrible. Could not have been worse planned out. This is absolutely absurd.

I post on a Minnesota Twins forum that uses a very similar forum to this: http://www.battleyourtailoff.com. That is fine and good... but most topics have about 15 posts. For long, multi-threaded discussions, the only way to maintain any semblance of multi-threading is using the "quote" tag and even that is still not very good... the threads tend to predominate onto the thrust of conversation that a few prominent posters take. Just like you and I can hijack this thread, Wolf, so too can any other thread by hijacked by say, a troll or just by any particular discussion.

The loss of the "new" tag stored on the server accomplishes something very similar to this; managing what you've seen and what you haven't seen becomes a full time job. Walking away from this forum and then coming back and responding to the things that have been said to you 3 days later now becomes much more difficult.

Crap. Utter crap.

Wolfgangus 12-14-2007 10:17 AM

Excellent, you have more patience than I.

HEY, if it doesn't get fixed, thanks for the intelligent conversations, and good luck in your career. I strongly encourage you to go on to graduate school ASAP. The Master's work is approximately the same but IMO much better than the undergrad, but the PhD will be completely different from undergrad. If you don't do it soon you will get too accustomed to having money to live the life of the poor grad student (for grad students we cover 100% of tuition and fees and pay $18K on top of that, I think). Original research is a total blast and the PhD will change your life. Seriously. The goal doesn't have to be teaching, there are a million things you can do with the PhD. Join Accenture or some other contract firm, they will (inadvertently) teach you how to write proposals and answer RFP and become an independent PI. Bid on government contracts. Make $400 an hour. Trust me, the world is shallow and the PhD will definitely impress the idiots in charge of it.

Wolfgangus 12-14-2007 10:28 AM

Another P.S.

BUT, if you combine the grad salary with grad-level student loans, you can get the pay up over $30K. You will rack up $50-75K in debt, but that will be a pittance in comparison to the salary differential. I don't know what it would be for biologists, but in computer science I have two contractor friends earning over $200K per year for the last several years.

garbagecowboy 12-14-2007 10:47 AM

Thanks, Wolf.

I plan on getting that PhD. The working as a lab tech was more about spending some time in the "real world" and getting to live in New York with my finance friends for a couple years before chasing my career dreams to God-knows-where... UCSF, Stanford, Boulder, Harvard, MIT, who knows where I'm gunna end up.

My sister is at Harvard as a 2nd year neuroscience grad student and she likes it just fine... but I wasn't quite ready to leave my comfortable mid-Atlantic milieu and strike out where I don't know anybody just yet.

And as far as money goes... I am fortunate enough that I will be able to make most of my career decisions at least until I get my PhD without having to worry about racking up debt. My goal, in fact, is to be a PI as a professor with a cushy job in some nice college town. I wouldn't mind moving back to Princeton, actually, I think it would suck less as a 35 year old associate professor than it did as a 21 year old undergrad.

Anyways I'll be sticking around. I'm sure I'll get used to the new forum.

bjkeefe 12-14-2007 11:04 AM

GC, Wolf:

I don't agree with a lot of your complaints about the forum. If I'm logged in, it appears to me that new-to-me comments are properly flagged -- the message icons are bright green, and the higher level indicators, like the icons for the threads, show whether there are new-to-me messages. Also, the "New Posts" link seems to work.

I grant I've only tried to access this forum from one computer so far, but I have to believe the info is being stored server-side, not client-side.

I do agree there was a lot to be said for the simplicity of the old Phorum software. One thing I miss in particular is the ability to search for the string "new" to find new messages. On the other hand, the Phorum software seemed to lack a bit in the robustness department -- it was often sluggish, resulting in double posts and delays during the preview/edit/preview cycle. We'll have to see how well vBulletin scales when the comment load piles up.

Wolf -- regarding the font size, try CTRL-+ (control key and plus sign key together) to increase the font.

Hope we don't lose either of you because of these minor technical annoyances. Give it a week. I bet you'll like it better. I like it better after one day.

RolandT 12-14-2007 11:04 AM

There's a problem with the rss feed. The links are formatted
http://brainwaveweb.com/index.php/site/[name_of_the_show]/
when they should be
http://brainwaveweb.com/diavlogs/[some random number]

garbagecowboy 12-14-2007 11:13 AM

No I'm not going to stop posting, I'm sure I can live with it, I just don't like it.

It seems like a serious case of fixing what was not broken, though, and I really don't understand the purpose.

And brainwaveweb.com... what's up with that, yo?

bjkeefe 12-14-2007 11:17 AM

GC:

I'm guessing robustness was a problem with the Phorum software. It seemed to me that scaling was a problem for it. I noticed that it got progressively more sluggish over time. I also know that there were some feature requests from some of the other regular posters that Phorum couldn't offer.

As for brainwaveweb, I think that was a testbed site of sorts, where the new site could be hosted and launched from. Seems to me that pretty much everything is back under the original domain now.