Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   Diavlog comments (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin) (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=7058)

Bloggingheads 09-26-2011 12:04 AM

The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

BornAgainDemocrat 09-26-2011 10:21 AM

Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Juvenile. Silly. The female equivalent of toilet comedy. I guess they think they are camping on it. If I were a fortune teller I would predict these two will end up alone in a rented apartment in the middle of one of those big city "diverse" neighborhoods Richard Florida raves about. Good luck.

graz 09-26-2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BornAgainDemocrat (Post 226762)
Juvenile. Silly. The female equivalent of toilet comedy. I guess they think they are camping on it. If I were a fortune teller I would predict these two will end up alone in a rented apartment in the middle of one of those big city "diverse" neighborhoods Richard Florida raves about. Good luck.

Maybe you can save them ... have any extra Palin bumper stickers?

badhatharry 09-26-2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BornAgainDemocrat (Post 226762)

So will they be alone together? Or will they be alone, alone?

Brn 09-26-2011 10:49 AM

How, exactly, is Tim Allen's brand of humor misogynistic? Isn't the basic point of Home Improvement that it is Tim who learns how to be a better man every week, and that his wife was nearly perfect as is? Or is it that grunting is somehow inherently anti-woman?

stephanie 09-26-2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 226764)
Maybe you can save them ... have any extra Palin bumper stickers?

Heh. Haven't listened yet, but I'm a big June Thomas fan.

badhatharry 09-26-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brn (Post 226766)
How, exactly, is Tim Allen's brand of humor misogynistic?

It's not. Misogynistic is just a cool word to throw into a conversation occasionally. It's a far more sophisticated term than male chauvinist and helps us gauge how far we've come in criticizing men for trying to be men.

chiwhisoxx 09-26-2011 12:40 PM

so....there's a DV about "the most glorious time of the TV year"...and at least just by glancing at the topics, Boardwalk Empire, a show that's roughly 644 times better than any of the shows listed in the topics, isn't discussed. Ok then.

Brn 09-26-2011 01:20 PM

I understand (and agree with) your point, but it doesn't even make sense as a substitute for male chauvinist, though, in this case, since if anything his humor is misandrist. I don't think that it is that either, but there is no denying that Tim is the butt of the jokes on the series, precisely because of his hyper-masculine poses.

rcocean 09-26-2011 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brn (Post 226766)
How, exactly, is Tim Allen's brand of humor misogynistic? Isn't the basic point of Home Improvement that it is Tim who learns how to be a better man every week, and that his wife was nearly perfect as is? Or is it that grunting is somehow inherently anti-woman?

Tim is anti-woman? I thought he was just boring & unfunny. Now, Bill Maher there's someone who hates women - but after all if you looked like him....

graz 09-26-2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephanie (Post 226782)
Heh. Haven't listened yet, but I'm a big June Thomas fan.

Yes. She is smart and engaging. A welcome edition, along with Paskin to the line-up.

whburgess 09-26-2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcocean (Post 226787)
Tim is anti-woman? I thought he was just boring & unfunny. Now, Bill Maher there's someone who hates women - but after all if you looked like him....

How could you say Maher hates women? After all, he's pro-choice for abortions, and attacks Republicans. What could possibly be more pro-woman?

In your assessment, you've taken his nightly use of male locker room pejoratives in attacking individual women out of the larger context. The larger context being that he votes Democrat, and the women he attacks don't count, as women, because they are Republicans.

I don't understand how you could have missed this, because its obvious. Otherwise why would all those lefty women who are looked to as 'feminists', and who the media has established as the go to experts on the progress of women's 'issues', appear on his show and laugh at his attacks?

rcocean 09-26-2011 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whburgess (Post 226805)
How could you say Maher hates women? After all, he's pro-choice for abortions, and attacks Republicans. What could possibly be more pro-woman?

In your assessment, you've taken his nightly use of male locker room pejoratives in attacking individual women out of the larger context. The larger context being that he votes Democrat, and the women he attacks don't count, as women, because they are Republicans.

I don't understand how you could have missed this, because its obvious. Otherwise why would all those lefty women who are looked to as 'feminists', and who the media has established as the go to experts on the progress of women's 'issues', appear on his show and laugh at his attacks?

Ha. You convinced me WHB, except for Andy Sullivan and Chris Matthews, no one loves women more than Bill Maher.

miceelf 09-26-2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcocean (Post 226787)

I actually agree that Bill Maher has a problem with women, but I think you'll have to look a little deeper as to why. Among the various dudes on this board, I suspect that there are few who get as much "strange" (to use Bob Wright's word) as Mr. Maher.

As to Tim Allen, was this in reference to his stand up or that boring show? If the show, I suppose it at least plays into the stereotype that men are all kind of big children, not to be held responsible for their own actions and that it's the duty of women to take care of them. It doesn't say much good about men, but it's not overly woman-positive either, it would seem. I have to admit, I find the whole genre pretty dreary.

whburgess 09-26-2011 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miceelf (Post 226816)
I actually agree that Bill Maher has a problem with women, but I think you'll have to look a little deeper as to why. Among the various dudes on this board, I suspect that there are few who get as much "strange" (to use Bob Wright's word) as Mr. Maher.

This is a good point, especially when you consider that of all these women he has sex with, every one of them, are the type of woman who would have sex with Bill Maher.

rcocean 09-26-2011 07:02 PM

Quote:

As to Tim Allen, was this in reference to his stand up or that boring show? If the show, I suppose it at least plays into the stereotype that men are all kind of big children, not to be held responsible for their own actions and that it's the duty of women to take care of them. It doesn't say much good about men, but it's not overly woman-positive either, it would seem. I have to admit, I find the whole genre pretty dreary.

Tim Allen has a stand up routine? Is it any different then his TV show?

badhatharry 09-26-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

I suppose it at least plays into the stereotype that men are all kind of big children, not to be held responsible for their own actions and that it's the duty of women to take care of them.

I find the whole genre pretty dreary.

It's a depiction of a dreary reality.:)

I loved Home Improvement. So much about it was clever.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-41TikBVxVL...rl-hindman.jpg

miceelf 09-26-2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whburgess (Post 226818)
This is a good point, especially when you consider that of all these women he has sex with, every one of them, are the type of woman who would have sex with Bill Maher.

I am just saying that the claim that he hates women because he's ugly and cant get any is wrong. I don't like his approach to women, but it's silly to claim that this is because of how he looks.

miceelf 09-26-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 226826)
It's a depiction of a dreary reality.:)

I loved Home Improvement. So much about it was clever.

Meh. It's not my reality. But strokes for folks.

miceelf 09-26-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcocean (Post 226820)
Tim Allen has a stand up routine? Is it any different then his TV show?

Not so much, I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd4WeanVwls

rcocean 09-26-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miceelf (Post 226830)
I am just saying that the claim that he hates women because he's ugly and cant get any is wrong. I don't like his approach to women, but it's silly to claim that this is because of how he looks.

I don't think Bill Maher hates women SOLELY because he's short and ugly but I think its a factor. Before he became a big star he was probably rejected by every woman except for midgets and hookers. Throw in his ugly, nasty, edgy attitude and I doubt even the midgets stayed around.

The man obviously has issues.

Face it, Bill Maher doesn't seem to like *anyone*, except Bill Maher. Left-wing Asshole men & women may like him, and think he's funny, ( Oh, Maher called Nancy Reagan a C**T, ha ha!!) but there's a reason he's on HBO and not Network TV.

Thank God.

badhatharry 09-26-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miceelf (Post 226832)
Meh. It's not my reality.

Your wife would probably be the best judge.

Just kidding, lighten up.

whburgess 09-26-2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx (Post 226784)
so....there's a DV about "the most glorious time of the TV year"...and at least just by glancing at the topics, Boardwalk Empire, a show that's roughly 644 times better than any of the shows listed in the topics, isn't discussed. Ok then.

I suspect they didn't talk about Boardwalk Empire because it isn't new this year. You didn't miss the first season last year did you?

I agree it's a good show. It's one of the few shows my wife and I watch. The other three being Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and Game of Thrones.

miceelf 09-26-2011 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcocean (Post 226837)
I don't think Bill Maher hates women SOLELY because he's short and ugly but I think its a factor. Before he became a big star he was probably rejected by every woman except for midgets and hookers.

Well, he's really good friends with Ann Coulter. Insert joke here.

I have actually seen some of the women he has dated, and while I know absolutely nothing about their personalities, they're quite attractive. Shrug.

rcocean 09-27-2011 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miceelf (Post 226851)
Well, he's really good friends with Ann Coulter. Insert joke here.

I have actually seen some of the women he has dated, and while I know absolutely nothing about their personalities, they're quite attractive. Shrug.

I think Bill "the dog face boy" Maher understands those "attractive" women are going out with him because he's on TV, not because he's good looking or pleasant to be around.

So, there's still hope for you - just get a show on TV or a couple million dollars.

miceelf 09-27-2011 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcocean (Post 226855)
So, there's still hope for you - just get a show on TV or a couple million dollars.

I am doing fine without a show. Thanks.

stephanie 09-27-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 226790)
Yes. She is smart and engaging. A welcome edition, along with Paskin to the line-up.

Yes--a fun diavlog, although my hope that BornAgain's comment would make more sense after listening has not been fulfilled.

stephanie 09-27-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

I actually agree that Bill Maher has a problem with women, but I think you'll have to look a little deeper as to why.

Yeah, agreed, and he's certainly been getting criticism for it since the '90s and his original show. This idea that Maher is beyond criticism in anyone's mind seems odd.

Winspur 09-27-2011 05:55 PM

I tried watching the pilot episode of Terra Nova last night. Willa said that the "characterization was very poor"--I think she's being charitable. I have to wonder if the show is aimed at fundamentalist Christians: it tries so very hard to make us sympathize with the male protagonist,

[SPOILER] who has fathered more than two children, thus putting his entire family at risk from the population police, then jumps the queue to get on board the pilgrimage to Terra Nova, which the rest of humanity has patiently waited for.[/SPOILER]

What a swell guy. I hope he gets eaten by a dinosaur, otherwise I am not coming back to the show.

miceelf 09-27-2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephanie (Post 226887)
Yeah, agreed, and he's certainly been getting criticism for it since the '90s and his original show. This idea that Maher is beyond criticism in anyone's mind seems odd.

Somehow rocean seems to have decided that because I agree that Maher has a problem with women, but it's not because he's been unlucky in love this means I am defending him.

Ah well.

Rush Limbaugh on a tuesday.

miceelf 09-27-2011 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winspur (Post 226894)
What a swell guy. I hope he gets eaten by a dinosaur, otherwise I am not coming back to the show.

Yeah, much more on TV than in real life, there are folks that really make me root for natural selection.

popcorn_karate 09-28-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miceelf (Post 226899)
Yeah, much more on TV than in real life, there are folks that really make me root for natural selection.

hmmm the guy out-bred and out-competed others for resources. maybe its more justice than natural selection you are rooting for there...

miceelf 09-28-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popcorn_karate (Post 226954)
hmmm the guy out-bred and out-competed others for resources. maybe its more justice than natural selection you are rooting for there...

Human beings being social, they have historically been really punitive with people who violate the social contract, however fair the contract may be. This is as much a part of the product of evolution as relates to humans as anything else.

popcorn_karate 09-28-2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miceelf (Post 226956)
Human beings being social, they have historically been really punitive with people who violate the social contract, however fair the contract may be. This is as much a part of the product of evolution as relates to humans as anything else.

yes, interesting tension between the different forces at work there - if he gets caught he might lose big, but if he evades detection he hits the evolutionary jackpot.

miceelf 09-28-2011 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popcorn_karate (Post 226958)
yes, interesting tension between the different forces at work there - if he gets caught he might lose big, but if he evades detection he hits the evolutionary jackpot.

Until the temporal disjunction the whole enterprise has created erases everyone who has traveled through time from the entire history of the universe.

;-)