Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   General comments on Bloggingheads.tv (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   TWIB=InsideGOP (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=7314)

Unit 01-28-2012 03:22 AM

TWIB=InsideGOP

Is it just me? What The Week in Blogs has really been about most of the time is Matt explaining or excusing inside baseball GOP politicking to Bill. No? When was the last time we heard Matt question Bill on the inside, behind-the-scene chatter about the Dems, whether in power or not? Sure there's a primary going on right now, but I worry what will happen once the GOP primaries are over.

TwinSwords 01-28-2012 07:46 AM

Re: TWIB=InsideGOP

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unit (Post 236985)
Is it just me? What The Week in Blogs has really been about most of the time is Matt explaining or excusing inside baseball GOP politicking to Bill. No? When was the last time we heard Matt question Bill on the inside, behind-the-scene chatter about the Dems, whether in power or not? Sure there's a primary going on right now, but I worry what will happen once the GOP primaries are over.

Bill has always been very, very passive, while Matt is clearly quite shrewd. I think Matt knows he can take advantage of the personality dynamics to turn TWIB into, basically, a platform for promoting (a) right-wing politics, and (b) Matt.

Don't get me wrong: I like Matt. But that's what seems to be happening.

NB. I haven't watched TWIB since the nakba.

Unit 01-28-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinSwords (Post 236986)
Bill has always been very, very passive, while Matt is clearly quite shrewd. I think Matt knows he can take advantage of the personality dynamics to turn TWIB into, basically, a platform for promoting (a) right-wing politics, and (b) Matt.

Don't get me wrong: I like Matt. But that's what seems to be happening.

NB. I haven't watched TWIB since the nakba.

Yes, whatever "the two have", "that thing they do", is not unpleasant, only borderline boring though (at least to me). Yes they're crossing the ideological divide and do engage in friendly banter, but in fact they rarely address any ideological positions. It's all pragmatic day-by-day political maneuvering.

Sulla the Dictator 01-28-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unit (Post 236985)

I'm unaware of much actual ideological diversity in the Democratic party. Perhaps you can elaborate on what they should be discussing?

Unit 01-28-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sulla the Dictator (Post 236990)
I'm unaware of much actual ideological diversity in the Democratic party. Perhaps you can elaborate on what they should be discussing?

They're the party in power. It's not like there's no disagreements. They might be kept hush right now, but they'll surely surface once they're out of power again. I'm not so much interested in Democratic inside-baseball either, to tell you the truth.

Sulla the Dictator 01-28-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unit (Post 236993)
They're the party in power. It's not like there's no disagreements. They might be kept hush right now, but they'll surely surface once they're out of power again. I'm not so much interested in Democratic inside-baseball either, to tell you the truth.

Maybe. But yes, since they're in power, the differences are pretty hidden. The GOP had all of the current divisions under Bush, but kept it pretty tied up until Bush's amnesty program. After that the box was open.

Though I've always considered the DLC to be the one real fracture in the Democratic party, and that crowd had vanished by 2008. The median Democrat seems pretty far leftward of the old DLC standard.

badhatharry 01-29-2012 12:17 AM

good insight