Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   Diavlog comments (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Google vs. Facebook vs. Twitter (Farhad Manjoo & Harry McCracken) (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=6901)

Bloggingheads 07-18-2011 11:32 PM

Google vs. Facebook vs. Twitter (Farhad Manjoo & Harry McCracken)

bjkeefe 07-19-2011 12:15 AM

Oh, hey!

Nerd talk! From two of my favorite nerds! Looking forward to it!

R. Richards 07-19-2011 12:57 AM

Re: Google vs. Facebook vs. Twitter (Farhad Manjoo & Harry McCracken)

This is terrifically informative.

bjkeefe 07-19-2011 01:11 AM

Best thing ...

... I've read so far about G+ is this post from a while ago by the great Paul Ford, which begins as follows:

Quote:

People call me a lot and say: What is this new thing? You're a nerd. Explain it immediately.

bjkeefe 07-19-2011 01:18 AM

Following up on ...

... this, some wag whom I am embarrassed not to be able to attribute said something like this: "The worst part about Google+ is the thought of how hard it will be to convince your parents to join. The best part about Google+ is the thought of how hard it will be to convince your parents to join."

Don Zeko 07-19-2011 01:21 AM

Re: Following up on ...

Pretty much

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/googleplus.png

sugarkang 07-19-2011 01:56 AM

Hmm. I think the guests have overlooked key Google+ strengths masquerading as weaknesses.

First, the fact that the UI mimics Facebook is absolutely crucial for minimizing the transaction cost, flatten the learning curve inherent in migration. It's the same reason why nobody could get traction against Internet Explorer until Firefox came along and made the menu system exactly the same. People expect certain things to look a certain way. You can change it once you've hit critical mass.

Second, the difficulty of circles is part of the stickiness that appeals to geeks but weeds out mothers. Sitting there for hours trying to compartmentalize friends into circles is an investment of time and emotion necessary for the service to become a meaningful part of a user's life. This isn't the double edged sword that one might expect. Generally speaking, it's a bad idea to create barriers of entry to women because advertisers love them. Women buy; men don't. But in the case of newer tech like this, you need the underground to vouch for it first. The base culture needs to settle in and legitimize it. That also ties into why Buzz failed.

Cool talk. Can't wait for the new Techheads TV.

bjkeefe 07-19-2011 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Zeko (Post 217417)
Pretty much

Ah, our Mr. Munroe has neglected to consider that portion of the population who are dying to be invited to join G+.

Which, in fairness, is about as far from his target demographic as outspoken gay pro-choice, pro-science Jewish women who love Brooklyn are from Michele Bachmann's.

OH WAIT. YOU KNEW ABOUT THE MOUSEOVER TEXT THIS WHOLE TIME, DIDN'T YOU?

Bastard.

Don Zeko 07-19-2011 02:20 AM

Welcome back. Teehee.

bjkeefe 07-19-2011 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarkang (Post 217418)
... absolutely crucial for minimizing the transaction cost, flatten the learning curve inherent in migration.

Absolutely. Minimize that crucial inherent. Transaction curve migrates! Masquerading as flattening!

Are you .... passionate about your posts? Are you excited about Working Hard to Improve The User Experience?

Ah, well. One supposes there are still children who haven't yet seen Bull Durham.

You have more?

Quote:

... get traction ... People expect ... critical mass.

... the stickiness ... double edged sword ... barriers of entry ...

{scratching record noise}

Oh no you di'n't!

"Barriers of entry" to ... whom now?

Quote:

... barriers of entry to women ...

*sigh*

Wingnuts. Some things never change.

Hume's Bastard 07-19-2011 04:24 AM

Yeah, it's good to have you back on the Boards!

stephanie 07-19-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R. Richards (Post 217411)
This is terrifically informative.

I wish I'd found it so. I think the topic didn't so much lend it to that, though. Too much on Google+ v. Facebook and confusion of personal preferences with analysis, I thought. But I could feel this way because my personal preferences don't line up with those expressed by the 'heads.

stephanie 07-19-2011 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 217415)
... this, some wag whom I am embarrassed not to be able to attribute said something like this: "The worst part about Google+ is the thought of how hard it will be to convince your parents to join. The best part about Google+ is the thought of how hard it will be to convince your parents to join."

I think there are multiple reasons why people take to new technology or don't, though, and it's not all about simplicity. Someone like me, who takes to many new technologies and is sometimes more enthusiastic or earlier than most, but who is put off by others, including Facebook, is a good example. Whether I'm more relevant than Farhad, probably not, but I wouldn't assume that I'm less relevant, so that Farhad having no interest in circles or finding Google+ too talky or complicated for all but really tech savvy people is as generalizable as he seemed to assume.

I think for lots of more tech savvy people who didn't grow up in the internet age, the features that Google+ has might be extremely appealing. They also might not be, but the assumption that it would only get people who had already adapted to Facebook seems wrong.

sugarkang 07-19-2011 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 217421)
Wingnuts. Some things never change.

I don't expect the blind to see.