Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   Diavlog comments (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Commenter Court: Consequential Edition (Robert Wright & Aryeh Cohen-Wade) (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=5636)

Bloggingheads 07-28-2010 12:30 PM

Commenter Court: Consequential Edition (Robert Wright & Aryeh Cohen-Wade)

graz 07-28-2010 01:09 PM

Re: Commenter Court: Consequential Edition (Robert Wright & Aryeh Cohen-Wade)

Wankfest? No, I meant ... wonderful ... as in I can hardly imagine a better use of 20 minutes!

Seriously, giving up the scolding and laying down the projected thread management was masterful.

And Aryeh particularly: I think you've found your voice. Your intelligence, independence and wit were in abundance today. Thanks to both of you.

The video equivalent of the godfather kiss of death on both (all) cheeks.

nikkibong 07-28-2010 01:14 PM

I nominate Lemon Sorbet.

...maybe that'll get her to start commenting again? would certainly reduce the 'wank'fest quality...

Mannish Boy 07-28-2010 03:10 PM

The best duo on BHTV

TwinSwords 07-28-2010 05:26 PM

A Tip for BHTV Admins

When you link to a comment in the forum , do not link to the showpost.php. Instead, link to the showthread.php.

For example, if you want to link to my amusing misreading, use:

http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?p=161347&postcount=38

Instead of:

http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showpost.php?p=161347&postcount=38

Why? Showpost.php shows the comment ripped out of the context of the thread. Showthread.php shows the comment in the context of the thread.

Compare: Showpost | Showthread

If nothing else, linking to showthread.php will increase clicks and generate more ad revenue. As a bonus, your users will be happier. People generally want to know the context of the comments you link to.

messwithtexas 07-28-2010 06:36 PM

You talk towards the end about the 'links mentioned' section of the page. One humble suggestion I have is to use the area more liberally (lower-case "l" for the conspiracy-minded readers). Although I don't have the patience to comb through to find examples, it seems to me that there are quite a few missed opportunities to link to outside material. The concept of "mentioned" should be thought of as expansively as possible because creating the links doesn't require a lot of man hours (I imagine), but they add to the information easily available to users in a very useful and bloggy way. Even in the dv's with a lot of links, it's not hard to sift through the list to find what you're looking for, so I think there is a lot to gain from posting more links.

StillmanThomas 07-28-2010 06:45 PM

I guess size really does matter

Bob throws down the gauntlet with a very techie euphemism in the wankfest war.

badhatharry 07-28-2010 07:15 PM

Godwins law.

Godwins law ignored as it always must be.

AemJeff 07-28-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 172233)

Herry I really don't think that "Godwin"-ing was on display in that clip. That was a discussion of actual German soldiers, some of whom were certainly Nazis and the political effect their presence in a cemetery had on an actual event. It's all pretty concrete. To Godwin is to use a Nazi analogy to cast aspersions on people or events that aren't Nazis.

badhatharry 07-28-2010 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AemJeff (Post 172236)
Herry I really don't think that "Godwin"-ing was on display in that clip. That was a discussion of actual German soldiers, some of whom were certainly Nazis and the political effect their presence in a cemetery had on an actual event. It's all pretty concrete. To Godwin is to use a Nazi analogy to cast aspersions on people or events that aren't Nazis.

Picky-picky! I think I can squeak by with this one since "Godwin puts forth the sarcastic observation that, given enough time, all discussions —regardless of topic or scope —inevitably wind up being about Hitler and the Nazis."

I only just recently learned about this so maybe my enthusiasm just got away from me.

AemJeff 07-28-2010 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 172246)
Picky-picky! I think I can squeak by with this one since "Godwin puts forth the sarcastic observation that, given enough time, all discussions —regardless of topic or scope —inevitably wind up being about Hitler and the Nazis."

I only just recently learned about this so maybe my enthusiasm just got away from me.

:)

popcorn_karate 07-28-2010 09:02 PM

I like Bob's new theory of discipline - "i'm not fair, but i'm strict!" . keeps people from trying to tiptoe up to the line if the line is a bit undefined. (i'm serious, btw)

Whatfur 07-28-2010 11:11 PM

First, I can agree with this. Mr. Wright certainly certainly CAN feather his cap over the percentages here. Its a great site for a number of reasons.

Aryeh 07-28-2010 11:40 PM

I think there's two problems with this idea. First, it takes a non-trivial amount of time to hunt down the links that are mentioned, so trying to find non-mentioned but generally illuminating links related to a diavlog would be a lot more work (for me!).

Second, confining ourselves to the links mentioned actually blunts harkin's criticism--BhTV isn't adding anything editorially through the links. Following your policy, I can easily imagine complaints like "you linked to Liberal X, but not to Conservative Y."

Wonderment 07-29-2010 12:31 AM

Fur,

I've been meaning to ask how you deduced that the two astrophysicist guys were Commies. Busting them with absolutely zero evidence was monumentally brilliant. Is it something inherent to their discourse on dark matter, antimatter, quarks, Higgs bosons and whatnot that gave them away?

Ocean 07-29-2010 12:35 AM

Re: I guess size really does matter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bokonon (Post 172227)
Bob throws down the gauntlet with a very techie euphemism in the wankfest war.

Is Bob paying Aryeh enough to be asking these kinds of questions?

I mean, give the young man a break! ;)

uncle ebeneezer 07-29-2010 12:41 AM

Quote:

Following your policy, I can easily imagine complaints like "you linked to Liberal X, but not to Conservative Y."
He would never!!!

Whatfur 07-29-2010 01:48 AM

...with that said...

Aryeh,

What on earth compelled you to attempt to take a side on the Count of Monte Lefto?

Most everything you brought up was either wrong, presented with bias, or ill-conceived.

1. Bob provides the lead-in, you agree.

Complained? Actually, others were fighting that battle complete with those on the left producing listings of conservatives. I simply suggested that anyone who didn't realize this site was leaning left was delusional. I never said it was good or bad or that it should be different. It was created to show it to be what it is. Thats it. You and yours have tried to make it something else.

2. You express your first problem.

So this is your initial issue with my creation of the thread. Unfortunately, as mentioned above, my starting the thread had nothing whatsoever with thinking it should be balanced. I not only allude to this in the first post headlining the thread but when someone else tried to make it about that, I addressed it... in my very first response on that thread.

Did you read the whole thread? Which brings me to the most obvious bit of bias.

3. We first get a full reading of Nikkibong's post., followed by "part" of fur's rebuttal. A "part"?

Sorry Aryeh, but if you are going to read a comment and its response I think the unbiased thing to do would be to read not just one, but both completely. Here is my entire response:

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatfur
The same thing, of course, hit me and then after listening to tidbits, a few other things struck me. First, the one works for the Daily show so I figure when BHtv has the creator of "Red Eye" on things will even out. Second, assuming both voted...who do you think they voted for? Third, EVERYONE gets a label...if you have an argument for a different one or have evidence of such, I will be happy to hear it out.

Lets not even go into the McWhorter spin and Obama voting % BS because they fall into the "ill-conceived" category and their application here is rather inane. But hey, you are well on your way to a membership in the Gang with arguments like that. ;)

Maybe the next furlist is a compilation of the conservatives who work for BHtv. In any case, I am obliged to put an bold "L" by your name on the "Count" for this vlog.

bjkeefe 07-29-2010 01:51 AM

Re: A Tip for BHTV Admins

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinSwords (Post 172218)
When you link to a comment in the forum , do not link to the showpost.php. Instead, link to the showthread.php.

For example, if you want to link to my amusing misreading, use:

http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?p=161347&postcount=38

Instead of:

http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showpost.php?p=161347&postcount=38

Why? Showpost.php shows the comment ripped out of the context of the thread. Showthread.php shows the comment in the context of the thread.

Compare: Showpost | Showthread

If nothing else, linking to showthread.php will increase clicks and generate more ad revenue. As a bonus, your users will be happier. People generally want to know the context of the comments you link to.

Excellent points, Twin.

bjkeefe 07-29-2010 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by messwithtexas (Post 172225)
You talk towards the end about the 'links mentioned' section of the page. One humble suggestion I have is to use the area more liberally (lower-case "l" for the conspiracy-minded readers). Although I don't have the patience to comb through to find examples, it seems to me that there are quite a few missed opportunities to link to outside material. The concept of "mentioned" should be thought of as expansively as possible because creating the links doesn't require a lot of man hours (I imagine), but they add to the information easily available to users in a very useful and bloggy way. Even in the dv's with a lot of links, it's not hard to sift through the list to find what you're looking for, so I think there is a lot to gain from posting more links.

Haven't had a chance to listen to this one yet, but I would observe that very often, early comments in any diavlog thread offer additional links. Perhaps another sidebar section -- "Links added" or "Further reading" -- might be in order.

Whatfur 07-29-2010 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonderment (Post 172301)
Fur,

I've been meaning to ask how you deduced that the two astrophysicist guys were Commies. Busting them with absolutely zero evidence was monumentally brilliant. Is it something inherent to their discourse on dark matter, antimatter, quarks, Higgs bosons and whatnot that gave them away?

I emailed them. Nice guys.

Don Zeko 07-29-2010 01:57 AM

But why does it matter? Is there a Movement Conservative outlook on the Higgs Boson that needs to be represented?

Mannish Boy 07-29-2010 01:58 AM

Hang on Bob, didn't you already think of this?

bjkeefe 07-29-2010 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 172233)

It sometimes must be.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/regarding_mussolini.png

bjkeefe 07-29-2010 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Zeko (Post 172340)
But why does it matter? Is there a Movement Conservative outlook on the Higgs Boson that needs to be represented?

STOP WINNING SO MANY THREADS, DON ZEKO.

bjkeefe 07-29-2010 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whatfur (Post 172324)
...with that said...

Aryeh,

What on earth compelled you to attempt to take a side on the Count of Monte Lefto?

Most everything you brought up was either wrong, presented with bias, or ill-conceived.

1. Bob provides the lead-in, you agree.

Complained? Actually, others were fighting that battle complete with those on the left producing listings of conservatives. I simply suggested that anyone who didn't realize this site was leaning left was delusional. I never said it was good or bad or that it should be different. It was created to show it to be what it is. Thats it. You and yours have tried to make it something else.

2. You express your first problem.

So this is your initial issue with my creation of the thread. Unfortunately, as mentioned above, my starting the thread had nothing whatsoever with thinking it should be balanced. I not only allude to this in the first post headlining the thread but when someone else tried to make it about that, I addressed it... in my very first response on that thread.

Did you read the whole thread? Which brings me to the most obvious bit of bias.

3. We first get a full reading of Nikkibong's post., followed by "part" of fur's rebuttal. A "part"?

Sorry Aryeh, but if you are going to read a comment and its response I think the unbiased thing to do would be to read not just one, but both completely. Here is my entire response:

Lets not even go into the McWhorter spin and Obama voting % BS because they fall into the "ill-conceived" category and their application here is rather inane. But hey, you are well on your way to a membership in the Gang with arguments like that. ;)

Maybe the next furlist is a compilation of the conservatives who work for BHtv. In any case, I am obliged to put an bold "L" by your name on the "Count" for this vlog.

I read about two sentences of this post, and then MEGO set in.

It never stops with these people, does it?

bjkeefe 07-29-2010 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mannish Boy (Post 172342)

You have to love in that first link how, after saying "we'll leave it for the commenters to tell us what constitutes a model citizen and indeed who some of the model citizens are," he just cold bails out of the screen.

Wonderment 07-29-2010 03:01 AM

Quote:

I emailed them. Nice guys.
Nice Ls? Oxymoron.

Whatfur 07-29-2010 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonderment (Post 172378)
Nice Ls? Oxymoron.

We all have our moments.

messwithtexas 07-29-2010 11:30 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I'm probably just being lazy. I know you do a pretty damn good job picking the stuff out. What I really meant was maybe add links to things mentioned more tangentially in the dv's, not trying to editorialize the dv's with picks of your own. I only bring this up because it seemed to me like maybe you were exercising discretion based on how central to the conversation the links were and I think there is something to be gained from widening the net.

On a personal note, Aryeh, I hope you're getting paid hourly or I feel bad for even mentioning this. Keep up the good work.

chamblee54 07-29-2010 06:56 PM

The acronym for this is wiz.
Bless his heart, Bob just can't help it. Ann Althouse can jabber for an hour, and I never feel the need to comment. These guys go for six minutes, and I pull away from editing pictures of 1951 weddings.
chamblee54

Aryeh 07-30-2010 12:56 PM

Any takers?

Does anyone want to nominate themselves to become the Jackie Robinson of commenters by appearing opposite Bob on Commenter Court? Fame and fortune could be yours!

Florian 07-30-2010 01:38 PM

Re: Any takers?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aryeh (Post 172540)
Does anyone want to nominate themselves to become the Jackie Robinson of commenters by appearing opposite Bob on Commenter Court? Fame and fortune could be yours!

I am a model citizen....impartial, disinterested and surpassingly wise. But I am too modest to nominate myself. I nominate wonderment, who seems to me to possess all the qualities that I possess, plus the quality of residing in the US.

SkepticDoc 07-30-2010 02:02 PM

Second the motion!

TwinSwords 07-30-2010 04:55 PM

I would love to see Wonderment appear in that capacity.

Whatfur 07-30-2010 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinSwords (Post 172575)
I would love to see Wonderment appear in that capacity.

I think there are subjects Wonderment should be banned from holding court on but I would be happy to take those up when they come up...or on appeal as the case may be.

Now I have some questions about what constitutes a model citizen to Bob and Aryeh. I mean in this last CC vlog they started out patronizing graz for his wonderfully witty riposte in the last CC vlog. I find that to be a bit odd considering that most all of graz's posts for quite some time have been almost exclusively written while trolling me with snark or insult. I half expected that I soon would be hearing Aryeh giving handle an award for most effective use of the word "haliburton". But alas, nothing for handle but we did have Master Keefe handed laurels and lifted to their shoulders because he apologized to someone once while admitting error. That means he has approximately 8000 more future opportunities sitting in the archives. Huzzah! Huzzah!. ;) Who'd I miss? I think TS got some notice too although I cannot remember why...the human mind thankfully blocks out painful episodes from our pasts. I guess some props were given appropriately to bongbong and badhat...and of course I was held up as the model citizen in those final 4 minutes. Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, you had to pick that Count thread as an example of something wrong here? Ummm...I guess then let me wholeheartedly if not sincerely apologize as I must have been in the wrong. The almost 3000 views in 20 days it has received may have beat the Henry Farrell and Michelle Goldberg appearances even without the video but this type of chicanery needs to be nipped in the bud.

O shit where was I. Oops, I mean, but I digress. ;o) Oh yeah, model citizen...

I think that Florian should not be muffled due to location and I think badhatharry would bring more than common...umm..surpassing sense to any venue.

[added] forgot that search links have a shelf life...just go into advanced search options and enter graz for the user to search on and you will see how graz spends the majority of his time here.

graz 07-30-2010 06:45 PM

Is it really all about you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whatfur (Post 172583)
I think there are subjects Wonderment should be banned from holding court on but I would be happy to take those up when they come up...or on appeal as the case may be.

Now I have some questions about what constitutes a model citizen to Bob and Aryeh. I mean in this last CC vlog they started out patronizing graz for his wonderfully witty riposte in the last CC vlog. I find that to be a bit odd considering that most all of graz's posts for quite some time have been almost exclusively written while trolling me with snark or insult. I half expected that I soon would be hearing Aryeh giving handle an award for most effective use of the word "haliburton". But alas, nothing for handle but we did have Master Keefe handed laurels and lifted to their shoulders because he apologized to someone once while admitting error. That means he has approximately 8000 more future opportunities sitting in the archives. Huzzah! Huzzah!. ;) Who'd I miss? I think TS got some notice too although I cannot remember why...the human mind thankfully blocks out painful episodes from our pasts. I guess some props were given appropriately to bongbong and badhat...and of course I was held up as the model citizen in those final 4 minutes. Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, you had to pick that Count thread as an example of something wrong here? Ummm...I guess then let me wholeheartedly if not sincerely apologize as I must have been in the wrong. The almost 3000 views in 20 days it has received may have beat the Henry Farrell and Michelle Goldberg appearances even without the video but this type of chicanery needs to be nipped in the bud.

O shit where was I. ;o) Oh yeah, model citizen...

I think that Florian should not be muffled due to location and I think badhatharry would bring more than common...umm..surpassing sense to any venue.

Axes to grind ... Refs to work.

If your fee fees are wounded ... please just say so. I can offer condolences if necessary. But of course, it's an inability to carry the day with ideas and argument that nourish your grievous victimhood. Do Bob and Aryeh need to hold your hand and spell out what was so obviously meant to be open to interpretation by anyone. Bob's off the cuff remark allows us to extemporize.

Make your case, if you have one. Public forum, remember?

Quote:

[added] forgot that search links have a shelf life...just go into advanced search options and enter graz for the user to search on and you will see how graz spends the majority of his time here.

Are you stalking me with mad internet skillz?

Can you wiki that?

Nevermind.

graz 07-30-2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Use discretion.

And the question was:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aryeh (Post 172540)

graz 07-30-2010 07:14 PM

Quote:

Now I have some questions about what constitutes a model citizen to Bob and Aryeh. I mean in this last CC vlog they started out patronizing graz for his wonderfully witty riposte in the last CC vlog. I find that to be a bit odd ...

I certainly wasn't nominated for model citizenry. And we all agree that you fall short as well. So your oddity or confusion is unclear. Are you asking to have scripting rights over future diavlogs?

What's your beef?

Whatfur 07-30-2010 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 172589)
Axes to grind ...
Make your case, if you have one. Public forum, remember?

Thanks graz! I had forgotten to mention here your stalking me at a number of sights elsewhere on the internet but funny...it then hit me that you would most likely come trolling and give me another opportunity to talk about that...and whatduhyaknow...

Thats right! In addition to graz's primary purpose over the last few months of being my troll-shaped shadow at BHtv he also has found his other purpose in life was to hunt down the real Fur and broadcast his findings here under the guise of it being public information. Even though Fur chose to be anonymous (just like graz has) he used the tools the internet provided him to hunt me down and throw it out here as a tool of revenge for ...oh yeah...biting words. Stay classy model citizen graz.