Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   General comments on Bloggingheads.tv (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Senator Mickey Kaus??? (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=4999)

look 03-16-2010 04:16 PM

Re: Mick-ey! Mick-ey! Mick-ey!

Quote:

Originally Posted by PreppyMcPrepperson (Post 154541)
My mom sent me the article (though I'd already seen it), with that part bolded. I think she has a mental image of me the way I look when I visit home (in my pajamas 24/7, eating cereal out of the box and ice cream out of the carton) and hasn't figured out that I don't look like that all the time.

Heh. Enjoy it, and them making a fuss over you.

bjkeefe 03-16-2010 07:23 PM

Re: Most overpaid "journalist" in the world

Shorter look:

Quote:

TRIBAMALISM!!!1!

look 03-16-2010 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 154599)
Shorter look:

Tribamalism?

bjkeefe 03-16-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 154601)
Tribamalism?

Following Atrios.

look 03-16-2010 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 154602)
Following Atrios.

A) Okay, is that like mal- as in malicious or malfeasance?

B) Re Mickey>Ezra, fact are facts, nothin' I can do about it.

C) Try this on for size: Journomalist.

bjkeefe 03-16-2010 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 154603)
B) Re Mickey>Ezra, fact are facts, nothin' I can do about it.

I propose that from now on, look's assertions be referred to as ArmeyFacts.

(h/t: Instaputz)

look 03-16-2010 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 154606)
I propose that from now on, look's assertions be referred to as ArmeyFacts.

(h/t: Instaputz)

Heh:

Quote:

By comparison, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi got off relatively easy; she was described [by Armey] as "inept" but "not as mean as people think."

nikkibong 03-18-2010 09:19 PM

Re: Senator Mickey Kaus???

the brilliant and indispensable HitchensWatch weighs in...(note: this is not one of their best posts, but enjoyable nontheless)

http://christopherhitchenswatch.blog...key-kauss.html

AemJeff 03-18-2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikkibong (Post 154791)
the brilliant and indispensable HitchensWatch weighs in...(note: this is not one of their best posts, but enjoyable nontheless)

http://christopherhitchenswatch.blog...key-kauss.html

I have to disagree, nb. I gotta say that I thought that was a pretty awful post. Mickey's salary at Slate is a former issue now, anyway.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/kau...somewhere.aspx

nikkibong 03-18-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AemJeff (Post 154793)
I have to disagree, nb. I gotta say that I thought that was a pretty awful post. Mickey's salary at Slate is a former issue now, anyway.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/kau...somewhere.aspx

thanks for the link, jeff -- hadn't seen it. incidentally, i do agree that that was far from the strongest HitchensWatch post I've ever read.

HOWEVER. check out this gem from last week
http://christopherhitchenswatch.blog...e-or-dine.html

AemJeff 03-18-2010 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikkibong (Post 154795)
thanks for the link, jeff -- hadn't seen it. incidentally, i do agree that that was far from the strongest HitchensWatch post I've ever read.

Hitchens was awfully disingenuous, post 9/11. It may be good evidence that I'm among the "half-educated," but I've always been a fan of the guy, even when he was pissing me off. I really do love it when he builds up a head a head of steam and rams that rhetorical locomotive of his right through some poor pompous sucker's half-baked public position. It probably helps that I agree with him about a number of things, but he really assuages the pugilist in my temperament.

bjkeefe 03-18-2010 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikkibong (Post 154795)

If that's your notion of a "gem," I would like to sell you some jewelry. The only thing worse than those two posts is the "proposed new logo."

nikkibong 03-18-2010 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 154798)
If that's your notion of a "gem," I would like to sell you some jewelry. The only thing worse than those two posts is the "proposed new logo."

you guys are no fun! i'm making an honest effort to turn this into a hitchens-bashing thread, and you guys won't play along! lame!

bjkeefe 03-18-2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikkibong (Post 154799)
you guys are no fun! i'm making an honest effort to turn this into a hitchens-bashing thread, and you guys won't play along! lame!

I have no idea why you care about bashing Hitchens, but if you want to see how it's done, start here.

graz 03-18-2010 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 154798)
The only thing worse than those two posts is the "proposed new logo."

Well, aren't you the killjoy of the (questing?) for a new logo. :)
Then again, how'd that creative consulting work out for ol' kidneystones?
Rakemyleaves take note.

bjkeefe 03-18-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 154804)
Well, aren't you the killjoy of the (questing?) for a new logo. :)
Then again, how'd that creative consulting work out for ol' kidneystones?
Rakemyleaves take note.

I give that a big ol' Oh snap!

bjkeefe 03-19-2010 09:23 PM

Has Mickey Ever Said Mean Things About Arianna?

Well, if he did, he's evidently forgiven, because she gave him HuffPo space to make his Big Announcement, such as it is. Roger Ailes reports:

Quote:

Choad To <strike>The White House</strike> Capitol

Hairless Republican Mickey Kaus kicks off his Senate campaign by claiming to be a Democrat. His announcement fails to identify a single issue on which he agrees with the Democratic Party. Maybe one of the 80 media suck-ups doing a puffer on Kaus's shampaign could ask him about that.

Kaus does repeat his hatred of unions and immigrants, but wisely refrains from republishing his contempt for Erza Klein's youth and ability to grow hair. Kaus also claims to embody "common sense," repeating the phrase like he's Sharia Plain with Tourette's Syndrome.

Of course, Kaus has done nothing to expand his voting base beyond right-wing bloggers, who are scarce in California, and people who so badly want Slate.com not to suck that they'll do anything.
Heh: "shampaign."

Ocean 03-19-2010 10:01 PM

Re: Has Mickey Ever Said Mean Things About Arianna?

At first glimpse, your post title scared me. No need to elaborate...

Wonderment 03-20-2010 02:46 AM

Xenophobe Mickey on why Mexicans are uniquely dangerous and how the USA is not "immune"

Quote:

Kaus does repeat his hatred of unions and immigrants..
Not immigrants: Mexicans. His xenophobic rants have been focused on Mexicans, not immigrants in general. Here is Mickey fearing a "reconquista" and fingering Mexicans as particularly dangerous among "illegals":

Quote:

U.S. citizens of "other backgrounds" do not have any colorable claim that they are living in the land of their "roots," land then taken by the U.S.. There's no danger that Koreans on Vermont Avenue will think they have a special pre-1789 entitlement to Koreatown, or desire to reconnect it to its ancient, original status as part of Korea. The more historically valid the Mexican claim that "vast portions" of the Southwest constitute their "homeland," the more dicey it is to allow such a large chunk of immigration to come from Mexico. True, the fabled "reconquista" is hardly a real threat now. But who can guarantee what future generations will think? Irredentism is the source of conflict and killing around the globe. Why should the U.S. be permanently immune? Simple prudence might tell Americans it's best if there's a mix of immigrants and if the vast majority of them can't possibly think they're coming back to their own former land. ...

listener 03-20-2010 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 154964)
Heh: "shampaign."

I guess he's having an early victory celebration.

bjkeefe 03-20-2010 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listener (Post 154978)
I guess he's having an early victory celebration.

That was the one drawback to Roger's bon mot: not that I drink a lot of the stuff anyway, since, following Hawkeye Pierce I usually consider it "just ginger ale that knows somebody," but the next few glasses are going to taste especially ersatz.

Wonderment 03-21-2010 02:31 AM

In any case, we will defend her. This is a work called "La Raza Cósmica" by Mexican artist Rubén Ortiz Torres.

Ocean 03-21-2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonderment (Post 155082)
In any case, we will defend her. This is a work called "La Raza Cósmica" by Mexican artist Rubén Ortiz Torres.

I'm glad she can count with your heroism!

bjkeefe 03-25-2010 07:29 AM

Well, at least SOMEONE has been reading ...

... the newly-resurrected Kausfiles.com. Namely, Roger Ailes.

bjkeefe 03-29-2010 09:25 AM

Hey, I got an idea! Oh, wait ...

I had the idle thought last night that if Mickey really is determined to pursue this quixotic race for the Senate, and we take him at his word that the reason truly is to raise issues he feels he can't by blogging, then really, the better thing for him to do would be to run as a Republican.

Think about it -- no one, but no one, on the left takes his claim to be a Democrat seriously anymore. On the other hand, since I'm pretty sure he doesn't like the excesses he's seeing due to the GOP's catering to the wingnuts and teabaggers, it would seem as though he could run on the core issues he cares about (immigration reform, busting up unions, other ways the Democrats have ostensibly gone awry), and at the same time, make a small contribution to trying to drag the GOP back from the edge by being a voice of sanity on social issues, and, say, HCR.

But then I realized, nah, that'd mean Mickey might actually have to criticize the right.

Oh, well. Fun thought while it lasted.

bjkeefe 04-09-2010 11:46 PM

The campaign ...

... hits a roadblock.

Any bets on how long it takes for him to file a lawsuit against the CDP, with co-plaintiff Orly Taitz?

bjkeefe 04-10-2010 12:30 AM

Re: The campaign ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 158467)
... hits a roadblock.

Any bets on how long it takes for him to file a lawsuit against the CDP, with co-plaintiff Orly Taitz?

TBogg has some comments on this, as well.

bjkeefe 04-10-2010 12:47 AM

Quote:

... hits a roadblock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 158481)
TBogg has some comments on this, as well.

As does Roger Ailes.

Wonderment 04-20-2010 04:32 AM

Thank God you've come to the rescue!

Just in the nick of time...

bjkeefe 04-23-2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

... hits a roadblock.

A bit more on this, from Eric Bauman, vice chairman of the state Democratic Party:

Quote:

Never mind the fact that he calls himself a Democrat. The positions he holds are more in line with the California Republican Party than the California Democratic Party. The guy has notoriety because he rants, but that doesn’t mean we need to oblige his request to get visibility.

Wonderment 04-23-2010 04:02 PM

Mickey on Facebook

Did anyone else get the Facebook invitation from Frazier (Bob's dog) to become a fan of MK's campaign?

Just wondering if Frazier (a suspected undocumented alien) has now joined the other two humans and a house cat who will vote for Mickey in the Primary and has mass-mailed on MK's behalf, or if the darn dog was just messing with me personally. One word for you, Frazier: Bow-fuckiin-wow. (Or is that three words?)

bjkeefe 04-23-2010 04:41 PM

Re: Mickey on Facebook

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonderment (Post 160012)
Did anyone else get the Facebook invitation from Frazier (Bob's dog) to become a fan of MK's campaign?

Just wondering if Frazier (a suspected undocumented alien) has now joined the other two humans and a house cat who will vote for Mickey in the Primary and has mass-mailed on MK's behalf, or if the darn dog was just messing with me personally. One word for you, Frazier: Bow-fuckiin-wow. (Or is that three words?)

I got one of those. I have chosen not to join. Ordinarily, I'd throw a bone (sorry, Frazier) to someone who cared enough to ask, but as trivial as Facebook-fanning someone is, it really does come down to principle. I don't agree with his prescriptions regarding the Democratic Party, or America, for that matter; I dislike his habit and history of only attacking his own (purported) side; and as far as I can tell about this campaign, he's not even making a good faith effort.

Ocean 04-23-2010 04:48 PM

Re: Mickey on Facebook

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 160015)
I got one of those. I have chosen not to join. Ordinarily, I'd throw a bone (sorry, Frazier) to someone who cared enough to ask, but as trivial as Facebook-fanning someone is, it really does come down to principle. I don't agree with his prescriptions regarding the Democratic Party, or America, for that matter; I dislike his habit and history of only attacking his own (purported) side; and as far as I can tell about this campaign, he's not even making a good faith effort.

Not to mention that trying to exploit Frazier's irresistible cuteness is despicable!

bjkeefe 04-23-2010 07:26 PM

"Common Sense!!!1!"

Mickey had better get on the stick, because it looks like yet another politician (Republican, of course) is stealing "his" (Sarah Palin's) slogan. Meet Tim James, who would like to be your governor, if you live in Alabama. He doesn't like foreigns who speak foreign, in America, when they try to get the driver's license and such, and he doesn't like those pesky frivliss lawsuits that "lahyers" are always filing, also, too. Because he is a bidnessman! And you can tell, from his dramatic "thoughtful" pauses!

Two of his ads may be viewed on Wonkette, here and here. But for real down-home entertainment, you are encouraged to visit Wonkette's source, this post on the Alabama-based blog King Cockfight. (Three words: "Reconquistador Apocalypse novels.")

Wonderment 04-23-2010 07:35 PM

Tikal responds

Arf, arf (I love you, Frazier, but I'm voting for the Boxer).

Tikal is an anchor baby. His mother is from Chihuahua, but he snuck across the border to be born in the USA with the hope of someday voting against Mickey and leading his own pack of alien puppies in the Reconquista.

Ocean 04-23-2010 07:49 PM

Re: Tikal responds

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonderment (Post 160032)
Arf, arf (I love you, Frazier, but I'm voting for the Boxer).

Tikal is an anchor baby. His mother is from Chihuahua, but he snuck across the border to be born in the USA with the hope of someday voting against Mickey and leading his own pack of alien puppies in the Reconquista.

Viva Tikal!

Arriba esos cachorros!

Wonderment 04-24-2010 02:18 AM

Re: Tikal responds

¡A otro perro con ese hueso, Mickey Kaus!

Boxer for Senate!

uncle ebeneezer 04-24-2010 01:49 PM

Re: "Common Sense!!!1!"

PAUSE....look...down....pause..."Does it to YOU??" Wow, that's some funny shit. Thanks for sharing that.

bjkeefe 04-24-2010 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle ebeneezer (Post 160091)
PAUSE....look...down....pause..."Does it to YOU??" Wow, that's some funny shit. Thanks for sharing that.

Sad he didn't make the cut in Gail Collins's column today, which rounded up many of the comically bad candidates out there, but I can't resist passing along this great line about the Republican Senate primary in Kentucky:

Quote:

It is very hard to pick a favorite. Would you prefer the man endorsed by Mitch McConnell and Dick Cheney, or the one backed by Sarah Palin and Jim Bunning?

Ocean 04-24-2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

It is very hard to pick a favorite. Would you prefer the man endorsed by Mitch McConnell and Dick Cheney, or the one backed by Sarah Palin and Jim Bunning?
Is there a cliff as an alternative?