Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   Diavlog comments (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The Sadness of Conservatism (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=2172)

Wonderment 10-02-2008 05:15 PM

Re: Pass Out the T-Shirts

Agreed, KS.

You're an intelligent, well-informed person and you write well, but your rants are so venomous and propagandistic that I never bother reading them anymore.

rgajria 10-02-2008 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonderment (Post 92867)
KS.

You're an intelligent, well-informed person and you write well, but your rants are so venomous and propagandistic that I never bother reading them anymore.

95% of Asian Kids and Parents are not exposed to drugs according to Kidneystones. He isn't always well informed, just very opinionated. Former Hillary Supporter now in the tank for McCain.

Wonderment 10-02-2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

He isn't always well informed, just very opinionated.
I meant "well-informed" in the sense of Sarah Palin -- S/he reads all the newspapers. ;)

handle 10-02-2008 08:04 PM

Re: Who Owns this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whatfur (Post 92789)

Now that's an echo chamber!
I'm trying not to harass you anymore, but holy crap! I want everyone to be sure and follow your link, and see where you get your inspiration. How many hours a day do you indulge in the Amplitude Modulated propaganda?

FYI I don't listen to Air America, or the local bushie blowhard station.
Hint: It's yellow journalism! ...really!

Here's the up side: you now have an excuse, albeit premeditated, to cry foul if the beauty queen does a face plant. Oh wait, that was the whole point, huh?
O ye of little faith, I saw the talent competition (such beautiful flute music) and I think she'll do just fine. Now if you could only erase the damage done by that meanie elitist Couric.... 'course she's just mad 'cause she used to be America's sweetheart!

willmybasilgrow 10-02-2008 08:31 PM

Re: The Sadness of Conservatism

Oh my.

This is so not about Obama or McCain or Sarah whatsoher name.

Jonah may be depressed about the Republicans, but the Democrats, in this Democrat's eyes, are just as hideous.

It's not really about Rep or Dem, though.

It's about a movement finally developing in the majority of the population. And the fact that it has been, ultimately, ignored and what will come next.

I'm not so sure people will go down calmly again.

willmybasilgrow 10-02-2008 08:36 PM

Thanks Peter, you are crystallizing it nicely. I understand a bit better after listening to you. You are also adorable.

Whatfur 10-02-2008 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handle (Post 92898)
Now that's an echo chamber!
I'm trying not to harass you anymore,!

Handle,

Ya know if you actually came through with some sort of point
every once in awhile instead of the technicolor regurgitation you
spew it would be much easier to respond to you. You responded like
4 times here now to my posts without saying a thing nor refuting a
thing. Oh wait you mention deregulation which is a nice attempt
at an excuse being made by idiots who don't really understand what
went down. Go check out the other link I provided and you will learn that
even the regulations there were were being ignored with the lefties trying
to demonize the regulators instead of the perpetrators. This one smells
and your boy and your boys and girls are carrying much of the stink.
Sure there are some smelly Republicans too here but in comparison your
side owns this one...

johnmarzan 10-03-2008 01:53 AM

Democrats in their own words Covering up the Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac Scam that caused our Economic Crisis.

At a 2004 hearing see Democrat after Democrat covering up and attacking the regulations to protect Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (their Cash Cows) that are now destroying our economy because the Democrats let them cheat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MGT_cSi7Rs

handle 10-03-2008 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whatfur (Post 92903)
Handle,

Ya know if you actually came through with some sort of point
every once in awhile instead of the technicolor regurgitation you
spew it would be much easier to respond to you. You responded like
4 times here now to my posts without saying a thing nor refuting a
thing. Oh wait you mention deregulation which is a nice attempt
at an excuse being made by idiots who don't really understand what
went down. Go check out the other link I provided and you will learn that
even the regulations there were were being ignored with the lefties trying
to demonize the regulators instead of the perpetrators. This one smells
and your boy and your boys and girls are carrying much of the stink.
Sure there are some smelly Republicans too here but in comparison your
side owns this one...

Dear ditto head, nice deflection, but you could have given me credit for the comment you responded to, about Palen doing just fine, clairvoyant don't you think? I had more faith in her than Y'all did.

I am just spewing anti-drivel to your drivel, shit for shat if you will.
You always try to create a condescending "intellectual" justification for a typical right wing talk radio meme, which is blame the banks for lending to the poor. Except the banks were no longer just banks, now were they?
They were huge financial conglomerates:

Quote:

"Merrill Lynch rushed into the arms of Bank of America this week in a deal that in some ways harked back to the past. During the Depression, Congress separated commercial banks, which take deposits and make loans, from investment banks, which underwrite and trade securities. The investment banks were allowed to do business with less oversight, while commercial banks operated with tighter supervision.

But after Congress repealed those Depression-era laws in 1999, commercial banks began muscling in on Wall Street’s turf. As the new competition whittled down profit margins, investment banks used more of their capital to trade securities and also began developing financial derivatives to fuel profits."

I haven't seen the argument made exactly that way before: The repeal of Glass-Steagal allowed commercial banks to compete with investment banks, which forced investment banks to take on more and more risk as they strove to maintain their traditional profit margins. Until finally they took on too much risk, and the party ended."

And now the era of the super-bank begins, again.
― Andrew Leonard
You say I didn't make a point, and then you go on to refute a point I made about your ridiculous wing-nut talk radio baloney.
And I mocked your insane implication that since you have been unsuccessful in furthering your Limbaugh agenda here, this is some sort of lefty echo chamber, save it for that "Patriotic" AM radio spin room you linked to. Ifill really was mean to your lovely Sarah last night wasn't she?

Cut the crap, turn off the redneck squawk box, think for yourself, and we will talk about what It takes to be a true patriot, go against the grain, and use some real common sense. Or not.. your choice. I promise to rise or descend to the level of your discourse, not the purported or imagined level, the real level.

Our side owns this one? puleese! I admited bipartisan blame, even though we all know which way the CEO's lean, and you still want to stick the dems with this disaster? Who's watch is this anyway? Where's your fake "good 'ol boy" Texas (connecticut) dubya? Give me a break.
You and liverspot should form an alliance!

rgajria 10-03-2008 08:09 PM

Jonah Goldberg from last night at the corner blog of National Review -

Quick Reax [Jonah Goldberg]

It's late I know, and I am exhausted. But I'm kind of surprised no one
else made this point (and if they did and I missed it I apologize).
What struck me the most about the debate – and it probably helped
having quintessential Obamaphiles in the room – was how Biden's
"gravitas" is derived almost entirely from the fact that he can lie
with absolute passion and conviction. He just plain made stuff up
tonight. I read a long list tonight in my debate with Beinart here at
Wash U, we can visit the details tomorrow.
Just a few: Flatly asserting that Obama never said he'd meet with
Achmenijad; that absolute nonsense about spending more in a month in
Iraq than we've spent in Afghanistan ("let me say it again," he said
as if he was hammering home a real fact); the bit about McCain voting
with Obama on raising taxes; his vote in favor of the war etc.
It's amazing how the impulse to see Biden as the more qualified and
serious guy stems almost entirely from his ability to be a convincing
b.s. artist. I'm not saying Palin was always honest or unrehearsed,
but when she offers up a catchphrase or a talking point, you can tell.
When Biden spews up a warm fog of deceitful gassbaggery the response
seems to be "what a great grasp of the issues he has!"
His ability, nay his eagerness, to fake not only the "facts" but his
sincerity is so shameless many pundits seem either mesmerized by it or
scared to call him on it. I'd call his fakery passive aggressive
except it's actually just aggressive aggressive. Beyond being a tool
of trial lawyers, I never saw much similarity between Biden and John
Edwards, but tonight I was really struck by how alike the two are.
Edwards fakes being an everyman, and Biden does too. But his real
fraud is intellectual seriousness. He talks like an intellectually
mature person, but that's all it is – talk.
Anyway, more coherent thoughts in the morning.
10/03 01:39 AM
http://corner.nationalreview.com/pos...E2M2QyY2NkNjM=

graz 10-03-2008 08:31 PM

[QUOTE=rgajria;92998]Jonah Goldberg from last night at the corner blog of National Review -

Quick Reax [Jonah Goldberg]
I'd call his fakery passive aggressive
except it's actually just aggressive aggressive. Beyond being a tool
of trial lawyers, I never saw much similarity between Biden and John
mature person, but that's all it is – talk.

Blogger heal thyself:
Jonah has a valid point, if only he were to apply it to himself too. Jonah's ability too play the clown has become so pervasive that he believes that his spiel is objective "journalism."

Quote:I'm not saying Palin was always honest or unrehearsed,
but when she offers up a catchphrase or a talking point, you can tell.

The last bit is no less true than the first though... It must suck to be on the losing end of politics at its most blatantly disingenuous, yet last resort.
Sarah couldn't sell it. Plain and simple. Neither can Jonah.

Ocean 10-03-2008 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgajria (Post 92998)
Jonah Goldberg from last night at the corner blog of National Review -

rgajria:

What are you trying to accomplish by posting this garbage?

Perhaps you can contribute with something coherent and thoughtful instead. It would be much more appreciated. The above is not.

rgajria 10-03-2008 08:45 PM

Ocean,

I was trying to provide an insight into Jonah's psychosis. The Dude never wants to admit he is wrong. It's always the Democrats fault about everything. This diavlog demonstrated that and I was trying to build on it. If the Republicans fail then it is because they are not true to their principles. If there is corruption, Oh that is George Bush importing bad practices from Texas. If Rovian style politics dominates the landscape, then the Dems did it first.
It was an incoherent rant after last nights debate but to me it provided a real insight into the man so I thought I would share that.
Will write more on this.

rgajria 10-03-2008 09:02 PM

"Flatly asserting that Obama never said he'd meet with
Achmenijad"

Nope, he never did Jonah. He spoke about a change of policy in the debate. Then the Hillary Clinton campaign personalized the words, attached motives, created possible scenarios, which were then picked by all the republicans and you shamelessly run with it.

"that absolute nonsense about spending more in a month in
Iraq than we've spent in Afghanistan"

Prove it that Joseph Biden is wrong. What are the comparative costs between the Iraq and Afghanistan war.

"the bit about McCain voting with Obama on raising taxes"

Again, prove it, Did John McCain vote for those bills or not?

"I never saw much similarity between Biden and John
mature person, but that's all it is – talk."

I do not think I need to explain this one.

Ocean 10-03-2008 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgajria (Post 93002)
Ocean,

I was trying to provide an insight into Jonah's psychosis. The Dude never wants to admit he is wrong. It's always the Democrats fault about everything. This diavlog demonstrated that and I was trying to build on it. If the Republicans fail then it is because they are not true to their principles. If there is corruption, Oh that is George Bush importing bad practices from Texas. If Rovian style politics dominates the landscape, then the Dems did it first.
It was an incoherent rant after last nights debate but to me it provided a real insight into the man so I thought I would share that.
Will write more on this.

rgajria:

Thank you for the clarification. I have read so much nonsense in the last couple of weeks, that it's difficult sometimes to know when someone is making a comment with sarcasm or truly believes in what is being said. I have been amazed to find the most absurd remarks, with what seems to me quite bizarre logic, being posted here. So much so, that I slowed down on my own comments. It seems sometimes quite a waste of time to continue to argue and refute some of those arguments that appear to be based in a different reality. You are calling this "psychosis", and quite accurately so.

I'm sorry that I misunderstood your post. I had a bit of a doubt in the back of my mind and that's why I asked for clarification. And I'm happy to hear the answer!

http://www.spartantailgate.com/forum...s/thumbsup.gif

TwinSwords 10-04-2008 03:10 AM

I like Peter well enough. He's a good guy; he's smart. He's more conservative that me, but so are a lot of people. His moderate nature isn't the problem.

The problem with Peter, I think, is that he does not participate in these diavlogs with Jonah on equal terms. Instead, he sits listening quietly while Jonah elaborates at great length on all things big and small. Occasionally Peter interrupts with a very short question, or a very short observation, or a very short correction or clarification. The overall impression is that it's Jonah's job to talk non-stop for sixty minutes, and Peter's job to occasionally interrupt to keep Jonah inside the guardrails and moving forward.

Once in a great while -- maybe once per episode -- Peter actually does speaks for more than a few seconds. And when he does so, he's extremely smart and articulate, presenting extremely well thought out arguments.

He just doesn't do it enough.

Peter: You should be talking between 45% and 55% of the time in these diavlogs. Why does Jonah do 95% of the talking in episode after episode with only brief (and apologetic) interruptions from you?

fedorovingtonboop 10-11-2008 02:36 PM

jonah, you're the most worthless pundit in the history of time. could you possibly be more biased?
http://www.newsweek.com/id/162789

you're such a poser. here's an article from someone who actually knows wtf they're talking about