Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   General comments on Bloggingheads.tv (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New diavloggers we'd like to see (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=1813)

bjkeefe 11-02-2010 08:16 PM

Re: Considering the likely results of the 2010 Election ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 186177)
Your argument is that people will ...

No. Lambchop, no.

As I said, I'd like to hear from her. Don't worry. No one will force you to watch if you don't want.

operative 11-02-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 186180)
As I said, I'd like to hear from her. Don't worry. No one will force you to watch if you don't want.

That works. You're for, I'm against. Unless she can be paired with Jonah Goldberg. Now I would watch that anytime.

chiwhisoxx 11-03-2010 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 186180)
No. Lambchop, no.

where's the lambchop thing from?

Don Zeko 11-03-2010 01:11 AM

Here. It's our forum's fun name for the Me The People tendency that political analysts of all stripes tend to fall for.

chiwhisoxx 11-03-2010 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Zeko (Post 186324)
Here. It's our forum's fun name for the Me The People tendency that political analysts of all stripes tend to fall for.

Ah. Kez says it doesn't have a name, although it's sort of an ad vericundiam; insofar as the people as an authority is implicit in any of those arguments.

TwinSwords 11-03-2010 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx (Post 186332)
Ah. Kez says it doesn't have a name, although it's sort of an ad vericundiam; insofar as the people as an authority is implicit in any of those arguments.

No, sorry, you missed the point. Read it again.

sugarkang 11-03-2010 11:15 AM

Re: Christopher Walter Monckton

I want to see Doug Bandow vs. Bruce Cumings talking about North Korea.

chiwhisoxx 11-03-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinSwords (Post 186372)
No, sorry, you missed the point. Read it again.

Think I got the point, was just trying to stretch it a bit to an existing fallacy, but maybe too much of a stretch.

taxman10m 01-29-2011 07:26 PM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

I'd definitely like to see John Derbyshire of National Review do a diavalog.

TwinSwords 03-28-2011 02:27 PM

Allison Kilkenny & Johann Hari on economic war

It would be nice if BhTV could invite Allison Kilkenny & Johann Hari to discuss the ongoing implementation of conservative economic policies in the United States and the United Kingdom, and the intended effects of these policies: concentration of wealth at the expense of the population.

They were recently interviewed on Democracy Now.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2229/protest.png

See the full story on Democracy Now.

uncle ebeneezer 04-21-2011 10:12 PM

Scott Lemieux on legal matters* (or film)

*NOT paired with Althouse, please.

bjkeefe 04-22-2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle ebeneezer (Post 205183)
Scott Lemieux on legal matters* (or film)

*NOT paired with Althouse, please.

What, you don't want to see another SO HELP ME I'LL HANG UP THIS PHONE RIGHT NOW meltdown?

operative 04-22-2011 01:25 PM

Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see: Bryan Caplan and Amy Chua

Best parenting diavlog ever.

uncle ebeneezer 04-22-2011 02:59 PM

Yeah seriously. It would quickly turn into a diavlog about how LG&M=Auschwitz for brave truth-tellers such as Meade.

eeeeeeeli 05-07-2011 12:32 AM

Discussion of merits of Metaphysical Naturalism, especially in regards to Determinism/Compatibilism, and their role in society and politics.

Pro: Daniel Dennet, Victor Stenger, Tom Clark,

Con: Alvin Plantinga, John McDowell, Dan O'Brien

Honestly, I'm out of my depth in this subject and these names are probably a grab-bag. But I'm fascinated by the notion that these questions have profound import for modern society, especially political philosophy.

operative 05-07-2011 11:26 AM

Bryan Caplan and Amy Chua

I said it before but their contrasting views were just referenced here: http://shine.yahoo.com/event/mothers...-hard-2479952/

operative 05-07-2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eeeeeeeli (Post 207818)
Discussion of merits of Metaphysical Naturalism, especially in regards to Determinism/Compatibilism, and their role in society and politics.

Pro: Daniel Dennet, Victor Stenger, Tom Clark,

Con: Alvin Plantinga, John McDowell, Dan O'Brien

Honestly, I'm out of my depth in this subject and these names are probably a grab-bag. But I'm fascinated by the notion that these questions have profound import for modern society, especially political philosophy.

I think Stenger or Clark would be better choices than Dennet, who is rather hit and miss in public appearances.

osmium 07-16-2011 01:14 AM

Maura Johnston: popular music

Given the discussion here about more non-political topics on BhTV, I'd like to see Maura Johnston. She does NPR sometimes, has a high traffic blog, and is the music editor of the Village Voice.

She knows pretty much everything about popular music. She even likes heavy metal, like I do. I'm sure she has ideas about who she could talk to.

unhandyandy 07-16-2011 11:18 PM

lefty internecine warfare please

I'd like to see Jonathan Schwarz (of A Tiny Revolution) and DougJ (of Balloon Juice) debating whether Obama should be supported for re-election.

Hume's Bastard 08-02-2011 07:50 PM

I listened to Chris Mooney, David Frum, and Kenneth Silber talk about conservatives and science.

Quote:

When it comes to the U.S. political right, it often appears that the opposition to science-and reason in general-is everywhere. From climate change denial to anti-evolutionism; from debt ceiling denial to, that's right, incandescent light bulb availability denial; conservatives today have plenty to answer for.

Fortunately, some conservatives know it. And given how much he has blasted the "Republican War on Science" in the past, on this show Chris Mooney wanted to hear their take.

Mooney v. either Silber or Frum would make for either a great Science Saturday or regular weekly diavlog.

unhandyandy 08-18-2011 04:49 PM

Yves Smith

Yves Smith from Naked Capitalism.

~GW~ 08-28-2011 01:00 PM

The War Nerd from The Exiled

frontier_sally 09-13-2011 12:07 PM

Science Saturday: Jacqueline Houtman

Freelance science writer with Ph.D. in Medical Microbiology...

Her website: http://www.jhoutman.com/
Her blog: Sciency Fiction

bjkeefe 09-26-2011 10:11 AM

Matthew Avery Sutton ...

... sounds like he has some interesting perspectives. Perhaps he would be good for a "Values Added" segment, perhaps he would be of interest for Amy Sullivan or Sarah Posner to interview.

Bio and contact info here.

Ocean 09-26-2011 09:56 PM

Re: Matthew Avery Sutton ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 226758)
... sounds like he has some interesting perspectives. Perhaps he would be good for a "Values Added" segment, perhaps he would be of interest for Amy Sullivan or Sarah Posner to interview.

Bio and contact info here.

The end of times can be an entrepreneur's heaven on earth.

Excerpts:

Quote:

There’s even a new genre of chick lit called Rapture Erotica. Apocalypse Sex: Love at the End of the World ($4.99) focuses on characters who stare down the end of days by, according to its publisher, having “the best sex of their lives.”
Quote:

Since most Rapture prophets have traditionally declared pets barred from Heaven, insurance company Eternal Earth-Bound Pets is now offering a 10-year relocation policy. For $135, the company promises to place dogs, cats, bunnies, and so forth with a loving family of atheists who have no hope of being saved.
Don't miss the slide show.