Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   Life, the Universe and Everything (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What I will miss about vBulletin... (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=7294)

rfrobison 01-07-2012 09:09 PM

What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
OK,

I can live with the changes the Bhtv is pushing through. I've got to be believe it was a dollars and cents-type decision. As a good capitalist, I understand the economic imperative and all that.

And while I share the feelings of those who lament the switch to Disqus, or whatever it's called, still, I feel compelled to state for the record why the change is for the worse.

It comes down to the loss of intimacy. I have (had?) genuine relationships with a lot of the regulars here. As Nikkibong said in a post on the other site, the old comments section had the feel of a familiar neighborhood watering hole:

"Ah, look, there's Look, chipper as always. And there's iemJeff brooding under the dart board. I guess he and Sugarkang have been at it again. Relax guys, have a beer or a spritzer or whatever's your pleasure.

"I spy Ocean at the end of the bar, looking her usual, ravishing self. If I wink at her do you think she'll grace me with a coquettish smile?

"I see Don Zeko and Florian are teamed up against Badhat and Sulla -- and Wonderment?! What's up with that?

"No, Twin. I don't think Dubya's a war criminal. And you're not such a bad guy either -- you drive me nuts, but you're all right, when push comes to shove..."

That's what I'll miss. Here's to you all. [ADDED]: and to all those others too numerous to mention.

Ocean 01-07-2012 09:35 PM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/11/11_15_12.gif

graz 01-07-2012 09:37 PM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rfrobison (Post 236542)
OK,
I can live with the changes the Bhtv is pushing through. I've got to be believe it was a dollars and cents-type decision. As a good capitalist, I understand the economic imperative and all that.

Except no clear evidence confirms that money was an imperative force. Why employ faith when the case is before you for examination?

Not to say money wasn't an issue. But there is no evidence that scrapping vBulliten was the determinative factor in maintaining viability. Isn't it obvious that the tie-ins with the Atlantic and their system are the driving force in implementing an inferior commenting system?
Wouldn't a direct admission be welcome? Otherwise, it seems we are mere means to and end in the extension of the Bob Wright brand. It's all very contemporary, no?

Your lament about the loss of real connection with fellow commenters is an undeniable and irredeemable result of this unnecessary change.

badhatharry 01-07-2012 09:46 PM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rfrobison (Post 236542)
OK,

in case you haven't noticed I'm ravishing, too...in a kick your ass kinda way.

rfrobison 01-07-2012 09:47 PM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 236545)
Except no clear evidence confirms that money was an imperative force. Why employ faith when the case is before you for examination?

Not to say money wasn't an issue. But there is no evidence that scrapping vBulliten was the determinative factor in maintaining viability. Isn't it obvious that the tie-ins with the Atlantic and their system are the driving force in implementing an inferior commenting system?
Wouldn't a direct admission be welcome? Otherwise, it seems we are mere means to and end in the extension of the Bob Wright brand. It's all very contemporary, no?

Your lament about the loss of real connection with fellow commenters is an undeniable and irredeemable result of this unnecessary change.

You may be right, Graz. I hope not, but then again, it's spilled milk, etc., etc., etc.

rfrobison 01-07-2012 09:48 PM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean (Post 236544)

Just what I've been waiting for! ;)

graz 01-07-2012 09:52 PM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rfrobison (Post 236547)
You may be right, Graz. I hope not, but then again, it's spilled milk, etc., etc., etc.

The vBulletin software is still here, operable and paid for. No need to surrender.

rfrobison 01-07-2012 09:55 PM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 236546)
in case you haven't noticed I'm ravishing, too...in a kick your ass kinda way.

I don't doubt it, on either count. I've always pictured you as a sort of righty Pat Benetar! :D

http://www.librarising.com/astrology...patbenatar.jpg

Sulla the Dictator 01-07-2012 10:37 PM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 236549)
The vBulletin software is still here, operable and paid for. No need to surrender.

Yes, that is the thing I don't understand. What was so bad about the old comment method compared to Disgus? If cost isn't the problem with VBulletin, why scrap it?

sugarkang 01-07-2012 10:48 PM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sulla the Dictator (Post 236552)
Yes, that is the thing I don't understand. What was so bad about the old comment method compared to Disgus? If cost isn't the problem with VBulletin, why scrap it?

VBulletin is superior in function, but it's a barrier to entry for new commenters. Most people visit multiple sites and new visitors may want to comment but don't want to sign up for registration to yet another site. Disqus lowers the cost of initial participation because people can login with any number of IDs they most likely will already have. Also, VBulletin doesn't seem to be updating, but Disqus will most likely evolve through continued development even if the features are somewhat barebones at present.

graz 01-07-2012 11:20 PM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sulla the Dictator (Post 236552)
Yes, that is the thing I don't understand. What was so bad about the old comment method compared to Disgus? If cost isn't the problem with VBulletin, why scrap it?

No need to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarkang (Post 236554)
... Disqus will most likely evolve through continued development even if the features are somewhat barebones at present.

Wishful thinking except for minor tweaks, not major functionality ... But you have a vested interest ;) Perhaps they'll refund your donation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarkang (Post 236555)
I'm willing to comply... for a price. Ahem, still waiting on my book. ;)


look 01-07-2012 11:46 PM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sulla the Dictator (Post 236552)
Yes, that is the thing I don't understand. What was so bad about the old comment method compared to Disgus? If cost isn't the problem with VBulletin, why scrap it?

A big problem is security concerns related to maintaining the bridge between two different platforms (so that vbulletin replies would appear below the diavlog). This site was already seriously hacked at least once.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinSwords
... how often was it necessary to do that work of maintaining/updating the bridge between vBulletin and the videopage? When Bob first explained this, I assumed it was pretty infrequent. My impression was that redesigns were pretty rare things and that once the bridge was established for any given version of BhTV, it would be good to go for quite a while
Quote:

Brenda:
The lack of programming support for the bridge was a constant headache. We hadn't been able to upgrade vBulletin or our CMS for years. One of the most important reasons to stay current on upgrades is security (this isn't news to you, I'm sure), and we also missed out on lots of new site features that we'd have liked to incorporate.

http://brainwaveweb.com/forum/showth...?t=7289&page=2

look 01-07-2012 11:48 PM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarkang (Post 236554)
VBulletin is superior in function, but it's a barrier to entry for new commenters. Most people visit multiple sites and new visitors may want to comment but don't want to sign up for registration to yet another site. Disqus lowers the cost of initial participation because people can login with any number of IDs they most likely will already have. Also, VBulletin doesn't seem to be updating, but Disqus will most likely evolve through continued development even if the features are somewhat barebones at present.

I wonder if Bob could highlight the vbulletin section as a sort of inner sanctum :)

look 01-07-2012 11:50 PM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rfrobison (Post 236550)
I don't doubt it, on either count. I've always pictured you as a sort of righty Pat Benetar! :D

Well, I think harry's personal anthem may be 'Hit Me With Your Best Shot.' ;)

look 01-07-2012 11:51 PM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Ah, look, there's Look, chipper as always.
I must say, that made me feel awfully chipper :D

graz 01-08-2012 12:01 AM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 236557)
A big problem is security concerns related to maintaining the bridge between two different platforms (so that vbulletin replies would appear below the diavlog). This site was already seriously hacked at least once.

http://brainwaveweb.com/forum/showth...?t=7289&page=2

Don't need a bridge. Keep um separated.

graz 01-08-2012 12:06 AM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 236558)
I wonder if Bob could highlight the vbulletin section as a sort of inner sanctum :)

Brenda says Bob could barely figure out how to log on. Maybe he can get one of his peeps on it? :)

look 01-08-2012 12:24 AM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 236562)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5IMk...eature=related

look 01-08-2012 12:31 AM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 236563)
Brenda says Bob could barely figure out how to log on. Maybe he can get one of his peeps on it? :)

Not interested in your horseshit, nor your insincere smilie. I'd think you'd be nicer to a person who has unbanned you at least three times.

badhatharry 01-08-2012 12:34 AM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 236565)
Not interested in your horseshit, nor your insincere smilie. I'd think you'd be nicer to a person who has unbanned you at least three times.

get back!

sugarkang 01-08-2012 05:30 PM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 236558)
I wonder if Bob could highlight the vbulletin section as a sort of inner sanctum :)

Welcome back, asshole! I hope you understand that reference. ;)

look 01-08-2012 10:23 PM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarkang (Post 236587)
Welcome back, asshole! I hope you understand that reference. ;)

lol yes, I understand. Thanks for the welcome!

Ocean 01-08-2012 10:35 PM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 236591)
lol yes, I understand. Thanks for the welcome!

We all remember, how can we not?

Yes, welcome, look, while it lasts.

look 01-08-2012 10:43 PM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean (Post 236592)
We all remember, how can we not?

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. SK is referring to an exchange we had in the past.
Quote:

Yes, welcome, look, while it lasts.
I think the news of the demise of vbulletin is greatly exaggerated. We can continue happily in our oasis here and act as Bob's ambassadors in Disqus.

graz 01-08-2012 11:01 PM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 236593)
I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. SK is referring to an exchange we had in the past.

We can fathom your pm's -- special moderater powers (spambuster) not essential. Everyone knows what your gossipmate is referring to. Your book is an easy read.

Quote:

I think the news of the demise of vbulletin is greatly exaggerated. We can continue happily in our oasis here and act as Bob's ambassadors in Disqus.
Clueless as usual.

look 01-08-2012 11:08 PM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 236594)
We can fathom your pm's -- special moderater powers (spambuster) not essential. Everyone knows what your gossipmate is referring to. Your book is an easy read.

Sugarkang, do you think they're referring to what we're referring to? I really can't tell.

ledocs 01-09-2012 02:36 AM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Badhat said:

Quote:

in case you haven't noticed I'm ravishing, too...in a kick your ass kinda way.
Whose ass have you ever kicked, your chihuahua's? You're completely fucking deluded. You're a legend in your own brain, there is no mind there, it was taken away at the time of the lobotomy.

sugarkang 01-09-2012 09:31 AM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 236595)
Sugarkang, do you think they're referring to what we're referring to? I really can't tell.

It's probably not worth thinking about.

badhatharry 01-09-2012 10:47 AM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ledocs (Post 236597)
Badhat said:



Whose ass have you ever kicked, your chihuahua's? You're completely fucking deluded. You're a legend in your own brain, there is no mind there, it was taken away at the time of the lobotomy.

I could kick your ass all over the place, old man. Come on over some time I'll show you.

PS. Your momma's so fat she wears combat boots.

Ocean 01-09-2012 09:04 PM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarkang (Post 236600)
It's probably not worth thinking about.

True. Old story. Closed chapter.

Uhurusasa 01-11-2012 03:42 PM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 236603)
I could kick your ass all over the place, old man. Come on over some time I'll show you.

PS. Your momma's so fat she wears combat boots.

Hahahaha, hahahaha, hahahaha, hahaha, (check it out 4 ha's to the comma much hipper then 2 bar phrasing( if there's not rhyme to my reasoning, there's rhythm to my madness)) "give them hell harry".

you are a, uh, credit to your race(is race just a social construct??), especially the lower classes(don't get me wrong, some of my best friends are red-necks(the more bumper-stickers the better))!

remember, us po-folks got to stick together! uh, power to the people!!

Hahahaha, hahahaha, hahahaha, hahahaha, Duke said, "it don't mean a thing if it aint got that swing"!!!

badhatharry 01-11-2012 07:50 PM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uhurusasa (Post 236684)
Duke said, "it don't mean a thing if it aint got that swing"!!!

doo-ah, doo-ah, doo-ah, doo-ah, doo-ah, doo-ah, doo-ah, doo-ah

which upon further investigation turns out to be very similiar to:

Hahahaha, hahahaha, hahahaha, hahahaha

Uhurusasa 01-12-2012 02:03 PM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
you are " too cool"!! no wonder the JAMF's hate you????

handle 01-12-2012 02:51 PM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uhurusasa (Post 236698)
you are " too cool"!! no wonder the JAMF's hate you????

WTF, "po-folks"? Who's a JAMF?

Uhurusasa 01-12-2012 02:51 PM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 236693)
doo-ah, doo-ah, doo-ah, doo-ah, doo-ah, doo-ah, doo-ah, doo-ah

which upon further investigation turns out to be very similiar to:

Hahahaha, hahahaha, hahahaha, hahahaha

Hahahaha, hahahaha, hahahaha, hahahaha you is my tar baby!!???

AemJeff 01-12-2012 02:53 PM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by handle (Post 236700)
WTF, "po-folks"? Who's a JAMF?

Jive-ass mutha <shut yo' mouth> I think sasa is referring to us, among others.

Uhurusasa 01-12-2012 03:07 PM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by handle (Post 236700)
WTF, "po-folks"? Who's a JAMF?

inhale, absorb the irony, then embrace the paradox????

graz 01-12-2012 03:08 PM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AemJeff (Post 236703)
Jive-ass mutha <shut yo' mouth> I think sasa is referring to us, among others.

Not only am I Spartacus ... I am ... also, too ... a jive-ass mutha fu@#$r

AemJeff 01-12-2012 03:10 PM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 236705)
Not only am I Spartacus ... I am ... also, too ... a jive-ass mutha fu@#$r

I embrace the irony.

handle 01-12-2012 03:11 PM

Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AemJeff (Post 236703)
Jive-ass mutha <shut yo' mouth> I think sasa is referring to us, among others.

Sorry, clarification: Who's being a JAMF (now)?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.