Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   Life, the Universe and Everything (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Tales of Your New Republican Majority! (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=6303)

bjkeefe 12-01-2010 05:45 PM

Re: Thank goodness we've got the grown-ups back in charge

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 190581)
Separating media and government is actually the exact opposite of fascism. The State-media was a major component of the Nazi regime.

Yes. We must always be on guard, mustn't we?

operative 12-01-2010 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 190586)
Yes. We must always be on guard, mustn't we?

Totally

Ocean 12-01-2010 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 190544)
About time NPR stood on its own. It is an intolerant lefty spin machine. So they're free to do so, but they shouldn't be expected to be propped up by taxpayer funds.

The topic of discussion seemed to be about Republican Congressmen making decisions about what kind of art the Smithsonian is supposed to show, and censuring with threats of retaliation by cutting funding. It is that type of fascism that I was referring to.

TwinSwords 12-01-2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean (Post 190592)
The topic of discussion seemed to be about Republican Congressmen making decisions about what kind of art the Smithsonian is supposed to show, and censuring with threats of retaliation by cutting funding. It is that type of fascism that I was referring to.

Yep. That's what I took you to mean.

But I have to admit: The sincere comparison of NPR to state controlled media in Nazi Germany is good for a few laughs.

operative 12-01-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean (Post 190592)

Ah. I think it's a bit of a stretch--let's see how many Dems would be defending funding for some stupid southern museum that would decide to make itself a shrine to the Confederacy.

Ocean 12-01-2010 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 190595)
Ah. I think it's a bit of a stretch--let's see how many Dems would be defending funding for some stupid southern museum that would decide to make itself a shrine to the Confederacy.

Considering the obvious connotation about slavery and racism that "a shrine to the Confederacy" would represent, I would hope that both Dems and Republicans would object to such funding. Or do you think that Republicans would support those values?

operative 12-01-2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean (Post 190598)
Considering the obvious connotation about slavery and racism that "a shrine to the Confederacy" would represent, I would hope that both Dems and Republicans would object to such funding. Or do you think that Republicans would support those values?

I donnu, maybe Jeff Sessions would but 90% of the GOP wouldn't.

bjkeefe 12-01-2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 190603)
I donnu, maybe Jeff Sessions would but 90% of the GOP wouldn't.

Probably you could count on support from Steve King (R-Iowa) and Michele Bachmann (R-Minn) as well.

And Joe Wilson (R-SC).

And Saxby Chambliss.

And Tom Tancredo.

And I suspect there are a few others, which I'll let you look for.

Also, I'm sure much of the wingnut media, like Breitbart, O'Keefe, Gingrich, and Beck, not to mention the Boss of the Republican Party, Rush Limbaugh, would be in full howling support. (But not because they're racists, oh no. Just to piss off liberals, oh yes.)

operative 12-01-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 190621)
Probably you could count on support from Steve King (R-Iowa) and Michele Bachmann (R-Minn) as well.

And Joe Wilson (R-SC).

And Saxby Chambliss.

And Tom Tancredo.

And I suspect there are a few others, which I'll let you look for.

Also, I'm sure much of the wingnut media, like Breitbart, O'Keefe, Gingrich, and Beck, not to mention the Boss of the Republican Party, Rush Limbaugh, would be in full howling support. (But not because they're racists, oh no. Just to piss off liberals, oh yes.)

Hardly.

bjkeefe 12-02-2010 11:13 AM

Hurrah! Another Glorious Victory For Religion and Big Oil Over Science!

Praise Jesus and ExxonMobil!

Quote:

House GOP Ends Climate-Change Committee Because It’s Not Real

Because Republicans won a majority in the House in the 2010 elections, climate change no longer exists. Hooray! Jim Sensenbrenner announced that Republicans will be getting rid of the Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming when they take over ...

TwinSwords 12-02-2010 12:18 PM

Re: Hurrah! Another Glorious Victory For Religion and Big Oil Over Science!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 190708)

I continue to marvel at the fact that anyone would voluntarily associate themselves with the Republican Party.

bjkeefe 12-02-2010 02:13 PM

Putting Country First!

The Party of Hell No!!!1!, same as they ever were:

Quote:

Senate Republicans Threaten Tax Dispute Blockade

WASHINGTON — Not even 24 hours after President Obama met with senior Republican Congressional leaders and expressed hopes for a “new dialogue,” renewed partisan fury engulfed the Senate on Wednesday, as Republicans threatened to block any legislation until a deal is reached to extend the expiring Bush-era tax cuts, potentially derailing the Democrats’ busy end-of-year agenda.

The blunt threat was made in a letter to the majority leader, Harry Reid of Nevada, and signed by all 42 Senate Republicans. [...]

[...]

[Senate Minority Leader Mitch] McConnell’s announcement of an all-out blockade came just a day after he applauded Senator Christopher R. Dodd, the retiring Connecticut Democrat, for a farewell address in which Mr. Dodd called for greater civility and cooperation among lawmakers. His announcement drew howls of anger from Democrats who said it was just the latest evidence of Republican obstructionism.

To emphasize their point, Democrats went to the floor and attempted to bring up numerous bills, including a measure to extend jobless benefits and a measure to promote clean energy. On behalf of his colleagues, Senator John Barrasso, Republican of Wyoming, repeatedly voiced objections, blocking the bills and prompting a furious speech by Senator Claire McCaskill, Democrat of Missouri.

“If anybody’s been paying attention, they would understand that our friends across the aisle have been blocking everything, including motherhood and apple pie for the last year,” Ms. McCaskill said. She derided Mr. Barrasso for accusing the Democrats of engaging in theater. “Theater is having 42 senators say we will not participate unless you do what we want to do today,” she said. “That’s theater.”

Ms. McCaskill added, “What you are seeing on this side right now is a healthy dose of indignation on behalf of the American people that are hurting.”

Senate Republicans said they would even block a major food safety bill that the Senate adopted just on Tuesday but must be voted on again because of a parliamentary glitch. The food safety measure, which strengthens the Food and Drug Administration in an effort to prevent unsafe foods from reaching grocery stores and restaurant, was approved by a vote of 73 to 25, with 15 Republicans joining Democrats in support.

[...]

If Republicans had any worry about being seen as uncooperative, they did not show it.
Of course not.

bjkeefe 12-02-2010 03:48 PM

Re: Putting Country First!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 190734)
The Party of Hell No!!!1!, same as they ever were:

Quote:

Senate Republicans Threaten Tax Dispute Blockade

WASHINGTON — Not even 24 hours after President Obama met with senior Republican Congressional leaders and expressed hopes for a “new dialogue,” renewed partisan fury engulfed the Senate on Wednesday, as Republicans threatened to block any legislation until a deal is reached to extend the expiring Bush-era tax cuts, potentially derailing the Democrats’ busy end-of-year agenda.

The blunt threat was made in a letter to the majority leader, Harry Reid of Nevada, and signed by all 42 Senate Republicans. [...]

[...]

[Senate Minority Leader Mitch] McConnell’s announcement of an all-out blockade came just a day after he applauded Senator Christopher R. Dodd, the retiring Connecticut Democrat, for a farewell address in which Mr. Dodd called for greater civility and cooperation among lawmakers. His announcement drew howls of anger from Democrats who said it was just the latest evidence of Republican obstructionism.

To emphasize their point, Democrats went to the floor and attempted to bring up numerous bills, including a measure to extend jobless benefits and a measure to promote clean energy. On behalf of his colleagues, Senator John Barrasso, Republican of Wyoming, repeatedly voiced objections, blocking the bills and prompting a furious speech by Senator Claire McCaskill, Democrat of Missouri.

“If anybody’s been paying attention, they would understand that our friends across the aisle have been blocking everything, including motherhood and apple pie for the last year,” Ms. McCaskill said. She derided Mr. Barrasso for accusing the Democrats of engaging in theater. “Theater is having 42 senators say we will not participate unless you do what we want to do today,” she said. “That’s theater.”

Ms. McCaskill added, “What you are seeing on this side right now is a healthy dose of indignation on behalf of the American people that are hurting.”

Senate Republicans said they would even block a major food safety bill that the Senate adopted just on Tuesday but must be voted on again because of a parliamentary glitch. The food safety measure, which strengthens the Food and Drug Administration in an effort to prevent unsafe foods from reaching grocery stores and restaurant, was approved by a vote of 73 to 25, with 15 Republicans joining Democrats in support.

[...]

If Republicans had any worry about being seen as uncooperative, they did not show it.
Of course not.

And oh, this? Just a minor side effect:

So: the Republicans now have a two-part solution to our nation's woes: (1) tax cuts for the super-rich + (2) cannibalism!

bjkeefe 12-02-2010 05:41 PM

Trust them. NEXT time, they will be better. Promise!

Quote:

Tea Party Caucus Takes $1 Billion In Earmarks

Members of the Congressional Tea Party Caucus may tout their commitment to cutting government spending now, but they used the 111th Congress to request hundreds of earmarks that, taken cumulatively, added more than $1 billion to the federal budget.

According to a Hotline review of records compiled by Citizens Against Government Waste, the 52 members of the caucus, which pledges to cut spending and reduce the size of government, requested a total of 764 earmarks valued at $1,049,783,150 during Fiscal Year 2010, the last year for which records are available.

"It's disturbing to see the Tea Party Caucus requested that much in earmarks. This is their time to put up or shut up, to be blunt," said David Williams, vice president for policy at Citizens Against Government Waste. "There's going to be a huge backlash if they continue to request earmarks."

In founding the caucus in July, Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) said she was giving voice to Americans who were sick of government over-spending.

[...]

Rep. Robert Aderholt (R-Ala.), for one, attached his name to 69 earmarks in the last fiscal year, for a total of $78,263,000. The 41 earmarks Rep. Rodney Alexander (R-La.) requested were worth $65,395,000. Rep. Todd Tiahrt (R-Kan.) wanted $63,400,000 for 39 special projects, and Rep. Rob Bishop (R-Utah) wanted $93,980,000 set aside for 47 projects.

Rep. Denny Rehberg (R-Mont.) takes the prize as the Tea Partier with his name on the most earmarks. Rehberg's office requested funding for 88 projects, either solely or by co-signing earmarks requests with Sens. Max Baucus (D) and Jon Tester (D), at a cost of $100,514,200. On his own, Rehberg requested 20 earmarks valued at more than $9.6 million.

[...]

"It's easy to be a member of the TEA Party Caucus because, like them, I agree that we're Taxed Enough Already and we've got to balance the budget by cutting spending instead of raising taxes. Deficit spending is not new, but the unprecedented rate of spending in Congress is," Rehberg said in a statement emailed by his office. "Montanans have tightened their belts, and it's way past time for Congress to follow their lead. The TEA Party Caucus is about listening to concerned Americans who want to fundamentally change how Congress spends their tax dollars. On that, we're in total agreement."

Bachmann's office did not respond to emails or phone calls seeking comment.
Emph. added.

[National Journal via Wonkette]

Ocean 12-02-2010 06:12 PM

Re: Hurrah! Another Glorious Victory For Religion and Big Oil Over Science!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinSwords (Post 190718)
I continue to marvel at the fact that anyone would voluntarily associate themselves with the Republican Party.

It is astonishing.

Ocean 12-02-2010 06:21 PM

Re: Putting Country First!

They have no shame.

bjkeefe 12-03-2010 08:33 AM

From "Today's GOP: Squeal Loudly, and Quail in Fear:"

Quote:

No less a group than Mike Huckabee, Peter King, Bill Kristol, Jonah Goldberg, and Newt Gingrich are now on record calling for the death of the wikileaker, or of Wikileaks chief swami Julian Assange, or, barring that, his declaration as an enemy combatant and direct danger to the United States itself.
But who knows. Maybe the GOP plan is to stimulate the economy through enhanced sales of adult diapers.

operative 12-03-2010 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 190921)

But who knows. Maybe the GOP plan is to stimulate the economy through enhanced sales of adult diapers.

bjkeefe: not caring about the lives of Afghan civilians since 2010 (probably much earlier).

graz 12-03-2010 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 190932)
... caring about the lives of Afghan civilians since 2010 (probably much earlier).

Operative cares enough to bomb them till there saved. From themselves or us is the question?

bjkeefe 12-03-2010 01:13 PM

More News of Republican Fiscal Responsibimility

Quote:

In a memo sent to vendors Tuesday, the Republican National Committee's chief administrative officer acknowledged that the committee is facing a "cashflow challenge" and that many of those who provided political services to it during the 2010 election would not be paid this week as originally planned.

"We will not be able to pay off the vendors this week," wrote RNC Chief Administrative Officer Boyd Rutherford to Derek Flowers, a member of the RNC's political team, in an email obtained by the Fix. "We will be slow in paying as we are having a cashflow challenge. Everyone will be slow paid until after the first of the year."

Flowers, in another email to the RNC's vendors, wrote that while his original intention was to stay on at the committee until all bills were paid, he would in fact be leaving the RNC today.
Well, before jumping ship, just cut taxes. Problem solved, amirite?

(WaPo via Jim Newell)

bjkeefe 12-04-2010 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 190921)

Quote:

No less a group than Mike Huckabee, Peter King, Bill Kristol, Jonah Goldberg, and Newt Gingrich are now on record calling for the death of the wikileaker, or of Wikileaks chief swami Julian Assange, or, barring that, his declaration as an enemy combatant and direct danger to the United States itself.

Here's another: John Hawkins, proprietor of Right Wing News and a columnist at Townhall, has a piece up titled "5 Reasons The CIA Should Have Already Killed Julian Assange."

Yeah, that John Hawkins.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3076/...fb4fe635c5.jpg
Michael Steele and John Hawkins by drmelissaclouthier, on Flickr

bjkeefe 12-04-2010 10:49 PM

Any questions?

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/7...leclasstax.jpg

The lede:

Quote:

Senate Republicans today successfully filibustered two Democratic tax cut bills that would have allowed Bush-era tax cuts benefiting only the wealthiest sliver of the country to expire. The party-line votes were intended by Democratic leaders to put Republicans on the record blocking the extension of tax cuts that would have benefited all Americans in order to secure additional tax cuts for the highest-income earners in America.
How much longer will it be before the Palinistas, the teabaggers, the Christianists, and other components of the Republican base wake up and realize the GOP really does not give a shit about them?

operative 12-04-2010 10:58 PM

Re: Any questions?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 191267)
...the teabaggers...

Yeah, that whole 'avoid dehumanizing opponents' notion lasted a long time.

bjkeefe 12-04-2010 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 191271)
Yeah, that whole 'avoid dehumanizing opponents' notion lasted a long time.

Didn't see you agreeing to any bargain concerning your side's far more grievous violations. In fact, I saw you sputtering that you saw nothing wrong with all of the slurs your allies use. You had your chance to get me to go along with you, and you pissed on it, like a standard Republican.

So save your candy-ass fauxtrage for someone who was born yesterday.

operative 12-04-2010 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 191273)
Didn't see you agreeing to any bargain concerning your side's far more grievous violations.

Not a very convincing argument there. "Your side is the worser" ceases to be a viable argument sometime around 6th grade. If it's wrong, it's wrong no matter which side does it. If you don't like it, don't do it, or stop complaining when the other side does it too.

Quote:

In fact, I saw you sputtering that you saw nothing wrong with all of the slurs your allies use.
That is an incorrect reading of what I wrote. I noted that people like rcocean don't go around excoriating people like you for using dehumanizing language. In other words, they do the same thing as you (which I object to in both cases), they're just not hypocritical about it. So ur teh worser.

Quote:

So save your candy-ass fauxtrage for someone who was born yesterday.
I'll refrain from an obvious joke about your posts and the cognitive development of a one-day old.

bjkeefe 12-04-2010 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 191278)
Not a very convincing argument there.

You're a wingnut, a fundamentalist, and a zealot. The concept of "convincing argument" has no meaning to you. Your mind was filled with hate speech and propaganda at an early age, capped with concrete, and that was the end of it.

Except for the addition of a pull-string, to make it easier for you to parrot your lines.

operative 12-04-2010 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 191283)
You're a wingnut, a fundamentalist, and a zealot. The concept of "convincing argument" has no meaning to you. Your mind was filled with hate speech and propaganda at an early age, capped with concrete, and that was the end of it.

Except for the addition of a pull-string, to make it easier for you to parrot your lines.

Ah so in utterly failing to dodge the revelation of your abject hypocrisy you have instead chosen to revel in it. Surrender can be much easier, ya know? Are you just trying to throw out every name in your playbook to see if one is that magic line in the sand? Line not crossed.

I am curious about fundamentalist though--I'm not offended by the term, but I think it's one of the least likely of slurs to use against me (though if you're just reaching into the bj-box-of-insults, I guess any random term could do). Is that a religious fundamentalist that you are accusing me of being (since I'm LDS)? A market fundamentalist (this one may begin to be defensible, actually)? Or did it really not even reach any level of cognitive involvement.

bjkeefe 12-04-2010 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 191286)
Ah so in utterly failing to dodge the revelation of your abject hypocrisy ...

Sorry, operative, but a term of mockery like teabagger is not anywhere near the hate speech that you condone from your allies. The only hypocrite here is you.

operative 12-04-2010 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 191288)
Sorry, operative, but a term of mockery like teabagger is not anywhere near the hate speech that you condone from your allies.

Bj you're going to have to do better than a simple misrepresentation of my points if you hope to make this interesting. Now you're just flailing at the "you are what you accuse me of being" shtick, rather paltry effort I must say. You can't escape your hypocrisy.

bjkeefe 12-04-2010 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 191292)
... if you hope to make this interesting.

I have no interest in you whatsoever. All you do is repeat yourself, by accusing others of what you are guilty of. Standard technique for wingnut operatives.

bjkeefe 12-04-2010 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 191267)
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/7...leclasstax.jpg

The lede:

Quote:

Senate Republicans today successfully filibustered two Democratic tax cut bills that would have allowed Bush-era tax cuts benefiting only the wealthiest sliver of the country to expire. The party-line votes were intended by Democratic leaders to put Republicans on the record blocking the extension of tax cuts that would have benefited all Americans in order to secure additional tax cuts for the highest-income earners in America.

On a related note: hurrah for Senator Bob:

Quote:

Menendez On GOP Tax Cut Posture: 'Do You Negotiate With Terrorists?'
Tell it like it is.

operative 12-04-2010 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 191297)
I have no interest in you whatsoever.

Bj that'd hurt if it were actually true. Well actually it wouldn't, but since it's not true, we don't even need to come to that point.

Quote:

All you do is repeat yourself,
If you don't want me to repeatedly point out how you are hypocritical, stop being hypocritical. Then we can have florid discussions about 1950s Japanese cinema and the greatness of Mandarin Chinese. But until that point, I'm afraid we're stuck at this level.

Quote:

by accusing others of what you are guilty of.
Tu quoqua.

Quote:

Standard technique for wingnut operatives.
A standard response line from Bj.

operative 12-04-2010 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 191301)
On a related note: hurrah for Senator Bob:

Tell it like it is.

Yes, comparing political opponents to terrorists. Eloquent political discourse in the land of Bj. I'm beginning to think that you secretly want to destroy the lefty movement by robbing it of all coherent arguments, manners, and dignity, Mr. Grayson.

bjkeefe 12-05-2010 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 191304)
Yes, comparing political opponents to terrorists. Eloquent political discourse in the land of ...

... your heroes Rush, Beck, Palin, and Malkin. Not to mention your entire political party.

Sucks getting your own tactics turned back against you for once, doesn't it?

graz 12-05-2010 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 191304)
Yes, comparing political opponents to terrorists. Eloquent political discourse ...

But that's exactly what politics entails. Perhaps not in your ivory tower perfesser? You might fancy yourself a gentleman, but your output here has shown you to be nothing more than a partisan operative. With some half-baked allusions to aspirations of a meld of libertarianism and conservatism. Blowhard, just about sums it up.

operative 12-05-2010 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 191307)
... your heroes Rush, Beck, Palin, and Malkin.

Ah another stale old Bj technique: the intentionally misplaced imputation of political adoration. Being deceitful on top of hypocritical does little to help you, Mr. Grayson.

Quote:

Sucks getting your own tactics turned back against you for once, doesn't it?
Does repeating that tired trope actually make it any more truthful inside your head?

operative 12-05-2010 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 191310)
But that's exactly what politics entails.

Perhaps in your sphere, but not in mine.

Quote:

Perhaps not in your ivory tower perfesser? You might fancy yourself a gentleman,
Yes, I'd say I'm a gentle man and a gentleman.

Quote:

but your output here has shown you to be nothing more than a partisan operative.
Considering that I break with most folks in the GOP on several issues (drug legalization, immigration reform, etc.), I'd say this is rather misplaced. I don't expect you to keep a record of my Weltanschauung, but upon being made aware of it, I do hope that you'll refrain from the BjBox technique of continually making intentionally dishonest arguments.

bjkeefe 12-05-2010 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 191316)
... Mr. Grayson.

Does repeating that tired trope actually make it any more truthful inside your head?

Took the words right out of my mouth.

operative 12-05-2010 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 191319)
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Well, Mr. Grayson, asking questions instead of answering them may work in your head but it doesn't suit you well on here.

bjkeefe 12-05-2010 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 191324)
Well, Mr. Grayson, ...

You were saying?

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 191316)