Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   Diavlog comments (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   A Force Field Around Every Lamb (Mark Schmitt & Jim Pinkerton) (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=7066)

Bloggingheads 09-29-2011 04:30 PM

A Force Field Around Every Lamb (Mark Schmitt & Jim Pinkerton)

chiwhisoxx 09-29-2011 06:00 PM

Re: A Force Field Around Every Lamb (Mark Schmitt & Jim Pinkerton)

http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/390...1:52&out=11:56

Bzzzzt! Wrong! Try again Mark. Guns, immigration, the environment...

apple 09-29-2011 06:36 PM

What a nightmare. Rick Perry, Anti-Christie, Bachmann. Is this the year of the loon?

badhatharry 09-29-2011 08:22 PM

Come on, Jim. There are many companies which build homes and commercial buildings in factories. This has been going on for some time. I don't know what the cost comparison is but I would imagine the decision whether to buy an efficiently built factory home vs building it on site is decided based on cost and feasibility.

http://www.northstar-homes.com/data/...rado-cabin.jpg

I think it's pretty safe to assume a builder will always choose the most cost efficient way of completing a project.

Sulla the Dictator 09-29-2011 09:55 PM

I hope left-of-center Bloggingheads posters pay attention to the discussion of stimulus spending. I and others have made this point here on things like Hoover Dam (And the absurd MSNBC commercials), which simply could not be built now not because of Republican obstruction, but because of the delays of environmental and NIMBY types as well as our over litigious cadre of rent seekers.

Sulla the Dictator 09-29-2011 10:01 PM

Also, Jim might be surprised to learn that infantry were deployed in WWII, they did dig trenches, and certainly used barbed wire. The Pacific, the Ardennes, the Italian campaign.....

....Not to mention the horrors of Russia.

jimM47 09-29-2011 11:37 PM

Pinkerton's call for there to have been "genuine punishment for people getting the bailouts" strikes me as misguided. The people actually getting the bailouts were creditors, not employees (in their capacity as employees). Obnoxious as it may look that the faces associated with the bailout kept their jobs, it was the incentives on institutions, not the character of specific people, that caused the crisis. You don't fix the problem of incentives that are misaligned on an institutional level by visiting retribution on bankers, you fix it by figuring out how to withdraw the implicit put we seem to have written on all the big financial institutions.

And while I'm picking on thinks Pinkerton says: true, the railroads were a private-public project, but I'd hardly say the experience was worth emulating, or at all free of corruption. The whole endeavor was full of shenanigans: governments repudiating bonds, railroads holding out for assistance, municipalities squeezing money out of railroads with sunk costs, favoritism, racism, etc. It's a standard joke that the law of the Federal Courts is the law of railroads.

Starwatcher162536 09-30-2011 03:44 AM

Does Pinkerton have anything more specific on his various... to paraphrase; Let's invent our way out of the problem.... then throw money at it? Just wondering if he has structural critiques.

...Btw, it seems like on balance further developing and building the sword has been easier and cheaper then further developing and building the shield for some time now. Probably centuries. Are we into the trillions on missile defense yet? It can possibly stop what again?

bkjazfan 09-30-2011 10:01 AM

Jim, we want those in construction to benefit from the jobs they have and to employ more in this depressed industry. I'm sure if your ideas bore fruit developers and project managers would be implementing them now. The American blue collar worker is under siege cut them some slack.

badhatharry 09-30-2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkjazfan (Post 227129)
Jim, we want those in construction to benefit from the jobs they have and to employ more in this depressed industry. I'm sure if your ideas bore fruit developers and project managers would be implementing them now. The American blue collar worker is under siege cut them some slack.

Jim wouldn't know an efficiently run building site if it hit him in the eye. I bet he doesn't own a hammer.

"It's taking so long! Why can't they just fly the building in from someplace else? They use plywood to cover the hole!"

And then there was all the talk about how we should employ all of these 'marginally skilled' workers once their dreams of efficiency are achieved. This from two guys who make a living writing for think tanks.

Unit 10-01-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 227130)
Jim wouldn't know an efficiently run building site if it hit him in the eye. I bet he doesn't own a hammer.

"It's taking so long! Why can't they just fly the building in from someplace else? They use plywood to cover the hole!"

And then there was all the talk about how we should employ all of these 'marginally skilled' workers once their dreams of efficiency are achieved. This from two guys who make a living writing for think tanks.

Right. I'd be ridiculous if it weren't disgusting: after trillions of dollars squandered by the central planners, these two call for "bolder action", more "grandiose" goals. We're never going to get a break.

eeeeeeeli 10-02-2011 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 227130)

Agreed - this struck me as the worst sort of armchair punditry. (Let me mention, I routinely feel this way about education discussion!)