Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   Life, the Universe and Everything (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Obama's VP in 2012 (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=6649)

johnmarzan 04-18-2011 10:55 PM

Obama's VP in 2012

It's not going to be Biden or Hillary. Who will be Obama's Successor after 2016?

chiwhisoxx 04-18-2011 11:32 PM

Re: Obama's VP in 2012

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmarzan (Post 204662)
It's going to be Biden.

fixed

johnmarzan 04-18-2011 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx (Post 204668)
fixed

Really? you still want biden?

Don Zeko 04-19-2011 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmarzan (Post 204670)
Really? you still want biden?

Last I ckecked Chiwi was a Republican; I doubt he wants anyone that Obama will pick. But he thinks, and I agree, that there's no particular reason to think that Biden will get booted from the ticket, so it won't happen. Sure, the guy's gafffe-prone, but I've not seen anything to make me think that that will be a big deal.

chiwhisoxx 04-19-2011 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Zeko (Post 204680)
Last I ckecked Chiwi was a Republican; I doubt he wants anyone that Obama will pick. But he thinks, and I agree, that there's no particular reason to think that Biden will get booted from the ticket, so it won't happen. Sure, the guy's gafffe-prone, but I've not seen anything to make me think that that will be a big deal.

yeah, basically. what's the point in replacing him on the ticket? has nothing to do with what I "want" Jon, I don't really care who his VP is. And why would he switch? The potential electoral gain is wiped out by the number of media stories talking about it from a purely political angle. This makes the move seem cynical and desperate, especially if there's no real reason to boot Biden from the ticket.

popcorn_karate 04-19-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

it seems pretty likely to me that Biden will not be on the ticket. He has no chance at being Obama's successor, so if the Dems want to retain white house control they have to choose someone with a shot at getting elected on their own.

stephanie 04-19-2011 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx (Post 204684)
yeah, basically. what's the point in replacing him on the ticket? has nothing to do with what I "want" Jon, I don't really care who his VP is. And why would he switch? The potential electoral gain is wiped out by the number of media stories talking about it from a purely political angle. This makes the move seem cynical and desperate, especially if there's no real reason to boot Biden from the ticket.

Exactly.

stephanie 04-19-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popcorn_karate (Post 204725)
it seems pretty likely to me that Biden will not be on the ticket. He has no chance at being Obama's successor, so if the Dems want to retain white house control they have to choose someone with a shot at getting elected on their own.

It's relatively uncommon for the VP to become president (barring the president's death, of course), so I don't think that's going to be the primary consideration.

chiwhisoxx 04-19-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephanie (Post 204730)
It's relatively uncommon for the VP to become president (barring the president's death, of course), so I don't think that's going to be the primary consideration.

yeah, this is a pretty common misconception, that a VP slot is a good launching pad for the presidency. it's a decent place to be if the president dies or resigns, but outside of that...off the top of my head, I think the list of sitting vice presidents who were elected president in the last 110 years is George H. W. Bush and Harry Truman.

operative 04-19-2011 04:05 PM

Quote:

Yeah I agree. The same was said about Bush with Cheney (well except the gaffes) and nothing came of it. Biden will be on the ticket.

operative 04-19-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx (Post 204744)
yeah, this is a pretty common misconception, that a VP slot is a good launching pad for the presidency. it's a decent place to be if the president dies or resigns, but outside of that...off the top of my head, I think the list of sitting vice presidents who were elected president in the last 110 years is George H. W. Bush and Harry Truman.

Bush Sr was. LBJ and Truman were reelected after gaining the office due to deaths, as was Calvin Coolidge. As was Teddy Roosevelt, too. Nixon had been VP.

chiwhisoxx 04-19-2011 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 204752)
Bush Sr was. LBJ and Truman were reelected after gaining the office due to deaths, as was Calvin Coolidge. As was Teddy Roosevelt, too. Nixon had been VP.

oops, forgot about Coolidge. Roosevelt gained office through McKinley being assassinated, that's not winning an election. And Nixon wasn't a *sitting* (I used that word on purpose) vice president.

Wonderment 04-19-2011 06:31 PM

I thought you had breaking news on Biden there for a minute.

I'd be surprised if Obama dumps Biden.

Speaking of the post-Obama era, though, the Dems. in 2016 face a charisma problem: now that we've all seen how boring and centrist Hope & Change turned out to be, what candidate could we possibly get excited about? There is nobody on the progressive side who's viable. No progressive of any standing in the Dem party had the guts to oppose the Obama agenda, so that leaves the base of the party stuck again with Dennis Kucinich, whom the MSM treats as a petulant clown.

Of course, there's plenty of time for younger post-Obama leaders to emerge on the left, but to be credible they'll need to criticize Barack and the rest of the centrist establishment.

operative 04-19-2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonderment (Post 204794)
I thought you had breaking news on Biden there for a minute.

Speaking of the post-Obama era, though, the Dems. in 2016 face a charisma problem: now that we've all seen how boring and centrist Hope & Change turned out to be, what candidate could we possibly get excited about? There is nobody on the progressive side who's viable. No progressive of any standing in the Dem party had the guts to oppose the Obama agenda, so that leaves the base of the party stuck again with Dennis Kucinich, whom the MSM treats as a petulant clown.

Of course, there's plenty of time for younger post-Obama leaders to emerge on the left, but to be credible they'll need to criticize Barack and the rest of the centrist establishment.

Obama is not centrist. Mark Warner is centrist. Joe Manchin is centrist. Obama is a liberal. Just because he's not as far left as you are doesn't mean that he's centrist.

TwinSwords 04-19-2011 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonderment (Post 204794)

I would, too. The 2012 campaign has already been branded for a couple of weeks as "Obama-Biden 2012," so there just isn't any doubt about it.

In other news, I hope you are continuing to enjoy your orange blossoms. It snowed again today here. :'-(

Wonderment 04-19-2011 10:53 PM

Quote:

In other news, I hope you are continuing to enjoy your orange blossoms. It snowed again today here.
Sorry to hear about the snow.

Orange blossoms have faded since my fifty minutes of fame on BHTV.

The blossoming suspiciously coincided this year with the marriage of our village princess.

A couple of days before I recorded that diavlog, I went to the store for groceries and saw 5 helicopters hovering at the top of Del Norte Drive. Did the war in Af-Pak-Gaza-Lybiaostan suddenly come home? Nope. It was Princess Reese Witherspoon's wedding, aerial-attacked by People Magazine, US, ET and sundry paparazzi. Very surreal. I got an email from a friend who spotted Sean Penn at Quizno's.

A few hours later everything was back to blissfully boring.

stephanie 04-20-2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinSwords (Post 204834)
It snowed again today here.

We had snow Sunday night/Monday morning. It's just been cold and raining mostly since. The flowers my neighbor planted in a fit of optimism look sad. Ah, April.

popcorn_karate 04-20-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx (Post 204744)
yeah, this is a pretty common misconception, that a VP slot is a good launching pad for the presidency.

vote-wise it worked for bush Sr. and Gore. I see it as a pretty viable model.