Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   General comments on Bloggingheads.tv (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   More of/Less of (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=6823)

operative 06-19-2011 09:41 PM

More of/Less of

Here's what I think we should see more of/less of in diavlogs:

More of:
* East Asia. It was nice to hear Dan and Megan discuss China. It would be nicer to have more people on to do the same. I know that there are folks out there who are capable of doing so, and I can suggest folks depending on whether you want political economy, public polling, etc. (Well, for China. Not as familiar with Korea and Japan).
* South/Central America. I can't recall the last diavlog on the region. And there's much to talk about. Peru just had a fascinating (and tragic) election, for example.
* GMU economists. Caplan's only been on once. Cowen's been on a few times. Boudreaux has never been on. Etc.

Less of:
Middle East. Nothing against the folks that BH brings on, but I think we're Middle East'd out for a while now.
Religion and politics. Again, we've had a lot of it.
Michelle Goldberg.

graz 06-19-2011 11:16 PM

Re: More of/Less of operative

Less you period.

chiwhisoxx 06-19-2011 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 213210)
Less you period.

before I saw what you wrote, I had money on your response just being "you". it would have been better! always aim for pith, my friend.

graz 06-19-2011 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx (Post 213214)
before I saw what you wrote, I had money on your response just being "you". it would have been better! always aim for pith, my friend.

I'm rarely without need of an editor. Just ask the nannies.

sugarkang 06-20-2011 08:44 PM

Re: More of/Less of

Quote:

Originally Posted by operative (Post 213198)
Michelle Goldberg.

I frequently disagree with her limited definition of feminism. She might be more interesting if there were someone to challenge her. I'd like to see her pitted against a libertarian feminist. It might be fun to watch her roll her eyes at someone a bit more out of the box, particularly one who might be okay with wearing skirts, choosing motherhood over career, giving blowjobs for money, living promiscuously, hunting deer, etc.

deecue 08-10-2011 12:27 AM

I would like to make a specific request for a Douthat/Salam bhtv on what they would update about their book (The Grand New Party), which had some interesting ideas for flusher times (the book was published a quite a while back as far as these things go). I'd be interested in what different policy prescriptions they would push in the advocacy of shoring up the social capital of the Sam's Club Republican demographic given the current economic and political constraints. Not sure how realistic this request is. Just putting it out there for consideration. More generally, I'd be interested to hear from any blogginghead with ideas of how to give that broad demographic a hand.

Sulla the Dictator 08-10-2011 03:54 AM

I would like to hear more about China as well. Indeed, maybe an Indian/Chinese/Japanese bloggingheads, entirely. I would also like some IR analysis.

Also, it would be kind of interesting to get some scholars of history in here for the weekends along with the science Saturday.

stephanie 08-10-2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecue (Post 221011)
I would like to make a specific request for a Douthat/Salam bhtv on what they would update about their book (The Grand New Party), which had some interesting ideas for flusher times (the book was published a quite a while back as far as these things go). I'd be interested in what different policy prescriptions they would push in the advocacy of shoring up the social capital of the Sam's Club Republican demographic given the current economic and political constraints. Not sure how realistic this request is. Just putting it out there for consideration. More generally, I'd be interested to hear from any blogginghead with ideas of how to give that broad demographic a hand.

Good idea. However, Salam seems to be into other things now, but perhaps I'm wrong.

chiwhisoxx 08-10-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephanie (Post 221073)
Good idea. However, Salam seems to be into other things now, but perhaps I'm wrong.

I think it would actually be harder to get Ross on. Unless I'm mistaken (and I'm pretty sure I'm not) he hasn't been on since he started writing for the Times. He also had a kid, which is also pretty time draining. But yeah, this DV would be awesome.

I was also gonna make a separate post for this thread, but I may as well put it here. I'd really like to see more, way more, of the frequent partner/pairings. There are a few reasons for this. There have been a fair amount of DV's recently between two people I like where I thought the DV just didn't work. That's inevitable going to happen in a BHTV format, and you obviously can't use recurring pairings for every DV. But we don't have many left. There's TWIB and Science Saturday, but that's about it. Why not bring back pairings we know have worked in the past? Hurlburt/Lake, Drezner/Yglesias, McWhorter/Loury, etc. Hell, even the Lee/Goldberg pairing for UN plaza, which I never enjoyed, but other people seemed to. Anyway, just a thought. I don't know if there's a reason why a lot of these frequent pairings seemed to have disappeared, but it's too bad.

stephanie 08-10-2011 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx (Post 221080)
I think it would actually be harder to get Ross on.

When I said I thought Salam was into other things, I just meant politically he seems to be into ideas that strike me as different from the ones in the book, not different than bhtv. Serendipitously, he's on today, with Yglesias. (This strikes me as fitting, since I'm pretty sure the Douthat-Yglesias pairing was the first once I ever watched over here.)

Re: Douthat and time, he's been on since he's been with the NYT. He was on early this year with Michelle Goldberg and I recall his first time back him saying he'd felt like he needed to be blogging so waited until he started doing that for the Times. But it's certainly possible he has other things going on, including with his family, that make it harder to fit in.

Oddly enough, I get emails from Commentary, and there's a program next week in NYC that features Ross and others on The War on Terror, which really doesn't seem like his thing. Probably pays better than bhtv.

Anyway, I also like the regular pairings quite a lot.

uncle ebeneezer 08-10-2011 08:57 PM

I would love to see some of the more Liberal economists come back to BHTV. Ross Levine (did 2 diavlogs with Glenn Loury) was my favorite. Dean Baker and Robert Reich would also be great.

opposable_crumbs 08-10-2011 09:35 PM

Just a topic suggestion, one which I imagine will come up anyway - 9/11 ten years later.

rfrobison 08-11-2011 03:11 AM

Re: More of/Less of--China econ, etc!!

Anybody for a DV on Asia's economic rise? Surely with all the U.S. (worthless?) government paper sloshing around in Beijing surely some well-informed polical economist can be found to talk about this issue