Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   Diavlog comments (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Open-Minded Edition (Heather Hurlburt & Hussein Ibish) (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=6388)

Bloggingheads 12-21-2010 09:13 AM

Open-Minded Edition (Heather Hurlburt & Hussein Ibish)

gwlaw99 12-21-2010 10:17 AM

Re: Open-Minded Edition (Heather Hurlburt & Hussein Ibish)

I don't see how Ibish's comment that the Palestinian position-- an unnegotiable insistence of a full right of return for millions of Palestinians (also part of the "Arab Peace Initiative) is closer to the US vision for peace. The end of building in existing settlements as a prerequeisite to negotiate peace is a Palestinian position created by Obama, but any possible two state solution, such as the one proposedby bill Clinton, includes those major settlement blocks on the Green line in exchange for land swaps.

DenvilleSteve 12-21-2010 10:20 AM

the reason for deference to the military

( who are these two refering to when they repeatedly refer to "we"? Some of us think the center has lost its legitimacy because it is bankrupting the people by deficit spending to such a great degree. )

The reason "we" have to show deference to the military is because it is an all volunteer force. If "we" had a draft and everyone had to serve, then the civilian leadership would have more of a right to order the military around. As it is, if you don't give the volunteers what that want, they will no longer volunteer leaving you all having to fight and die for "us".

Mannish Boy 12-21-2010 12:50 PM

Re: the reason for deference to the military

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenvilleSteve (Post 192866)
The reason "we" have to show deference to the military is because it is an all volunteer force. If "we" had a draft and everyone had to serve, then the civilian leadership would have more of a right to order the military around. As it is, if you don't give the volunteers what that want, they will no longer volunteer leaving you all having to fight and die for "us".

Plenty of countries around the world don't fete their military like Americans do, and they're not running out of volunteers.

DenvilleSteve 12-21-2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mannish Boy (Post 192868)
Plenty of countries around the world don't fete their military like Americans do, and they're not running out of volunteers.

actually, I don't see what it is that the military does that the libs find so pushy. What I observe is that the military is pretty much ignored by the media and political class. When was the last time any of us heard of the name, bio, circumstance of a KIA soldier in Afg?

basman 12-21-2010 05:34 PM

Re: Open-Minded Edition (Heather Hurlburt & Hussein Ibish)

My first ever pre-watch/listen comment.

I like Hussein Ibish a lot, a lot; he's a deep and good thinker, with a powerful sensibility--after all, he studied literature. And Ms H is no slouch.

(Note: it's egregiously wrong to put a period after "Ms". I have so much pedantry to impart: it scares me.)

Looking forward to this, besides leaning forward.

Itzik Basman

Ken Davis 12-22-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenvilleSteve (Post 192871)
actually, I don't see what it is that the military does that the libs find so pushy. What I observe is that the military is pretty much ignored by the media and political class. When was the last time any of us heard of the name, bio, circumstance of a KIA soldier in Afg?

Watch The News Hour on PBS. Photos, names, hometowns of the latest KIA presented in silence.

vosstheboss 01-02-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Davis (Post 192892)
Watch The News Hour on PBS. Photos, names, hometowns of the latest KIA presented in silence.

Truthfully, these guys, our soldiers, on the ground in places where we are having such difficulties, I would rather hear what THEY have to say, as they are actually "there", having to deal with the real difficulties, the day after day details that even embedded journalists cannot "know". Instead of presenting them in their final "silence"...lets hear from these guys while they are still around. It isn't, and cannot be, the whole story, but perhaps a major piece in the puzzle that is missing from our everyday synthesis of events of wherever they are. What a squandered resource.