Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   Diavlog comments (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Crisis in Nigeria (Dayo Olopade & Eliza Griswold) (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=5028)

Bloggingheads 03-11-2010 09:59 AM

Crisis in Nigeria (Dayo Olopade & Eliza Griswold)
 

Salt 03-11-2010 11:46 AM

Re: Crisis in Nigeria (Dayo Olopade & Eliza Griswold)
 
Eliza: please move to Nigeria, build a school and teach there.

thprop 03-11-2010 01:43 PM

Edith Wilson
 
Dayo compared the first lady of Nigeria to Eleanor Roosevelt. I think the correct comparison would be with Edith Wilson.

Starwatcher162536 03-11-2010 04:58 PM

Re: Crisis in Nigeria (Dayo Olopade & Eliza Griswold)
 
About two months ago Shell pulled out all but essential personnel from Nigeria, with personnel not returning till about two weeks ago.

I am told from someone who worked in one of the cyrogenic power plants in the Delta region that there are several rural villages that are in constant warfare about who has rights to set up illegal checkpoints serving as tolling stations along conduits for trade/transportation between Abuja, Lagos and Port Harcourt.

So at least in that area it would seem the infighting is more economic then religious based.

Lyle 03-11-2010 05:24 PM

Re: Crisis in Nigeria (Dayo Olopade & Eliza Griswold)
 
Great Discussion on Muslim-Christian violence in Nigeria.

One thing on corruption... umm, if the system is corrupt the system is corrupt and until that changes aid is likely best to be reduced, if it's going to get wasted. Outsiders can't stop the corruption, Nigeria has got to solve that problem itself.

JonIrenicus 03-11-2010 05:40 PM

Draft Dayo or Eliza to debate Dambisa
 
If not specifically debate, then discuss. They both seem to think her advocacy of moving away from an aid model is wrong, so let them hash it out.


I agree with them that IF the money was put to proper use it could only ever help and improve the situations. Moyos argument seems to be that the open ended aid in and of itself acts as a drug to keep a society unresponsive to peoples needs. Where the governance has incentives to appeal to donors rather than its people.



In any case, in the places where more people have moved out of poverty and destitution, where has the aid model worked well?

What has worked at all?

PreppyMcPrepperson 03-11-2010 10:41 PM

Re: Draft Dayo or Eliza to debate Dambisa
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonIrenicus (Post 154000)
If not specifically debate, then discuss. They both seem to think her advocacy of moving away from an aid model is wrong, so let them hash it out.


I agree with them that IF the money was put to proper use it could only ever help and improve the situations. Moyos argument seems to be that the open ended aid in and of itself acts as a drug to keep a society unresponsive to peoples needs. Where the governance has incentives to appeal to donors rather than its people.



In any case, in the places where more people have moved out of poverty and destitution, where has the aid model worked well?

What has worked at all?

Moyo's argument is much blunter than what you describe. What you describe--a problem with open-ended aid and how it's misused--is the argument made by the always awesome Bill Easterly. Moyo is more absolute in protesting aid in the abstract and advocating going cold turkey on the developing world, now.

But yes, it'd be great to have someone debate her.

JonIrenicus 03-11-2010 10:44 PM

Re: Draft Dayo or Eliza to debate Dambisa
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PreppyMcPrepperson (Post 154026)
Moyo's argument is much blunter than what you describe. What you describe--a problem with open-ended aid and how it's misused--is the argument made by the always awesome Bill Easterly. Moyo is more absolute in protesting aid in the abstract and advocating going cold turkey on the developing world, now.

But yes, it'd be great to have someone debate her.

Yes, it's blunt, she does want it to end, but the time table is more open than people suggest it is. I think she gave a 5 year deadline as a number to get people talking, but she has said in many places that is negotiable. Her primary want is to end open ended government aid, even if that calls for a massive increase in short term aid meant to assist in a transition and weaning people off of it.

PreppyMcPrepperson 03-11-2010 10:47 PM

Re: Draft Dayo or Eliza to debate Dambisa
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonIrenicus (Post 154028)
Yes, it's blunt, she does want it to end, but the time table is more open than people suggest it is. I think she gave a 5 year deadline as a number to get people talking, but she has said in many places that is negotiable. Her primary want is to end open ended government aid, even if that calls for a massive increase in short term aid meant to assist in a transition and weaning people off of it.

Fair enough. But the argument as laid out in her writings is harsher than you made it sound above. Just wanted to correct the record. What you say here, however, jives with what I recall of Dead Aid.

newdome 03-12-2010 10:30 PM

Re: Crisis in Nigeria (Dayo Olopade & Eliza Griswold)
 
good discussion...
He is a youtube clip about Nigeria. posted without comment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlpZr8IRUcY

(warning disturbing images)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.