Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   Diavlog comments (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The Academy and the Academy (Heather Hurlburt & Dan Drezner) (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=5025)

Bloggingheads 03-10-2010 03:29 PM

The Academy and the Academy (Heather Hurlburt & Dan Drezner)

chamblee54 03-10-2010 06:18 PM

Re: The Academy and the Academy (Heather Hurlburt & Dan Drezner)

Please cut off the speakers in the background. Someone has gotten several emails during this dialog, and the announcement bell is audible.

thprop 03-10-2010 06:21 PM

The worst movie I saw last year was The Hurt Locker. Dan said some of it was unrealistic. That is putting it mildly. This movie did not require suspension of disbelief. It required suspension of brain activity. I saw it in the theater last year and was stunned. I still do not understand critical embrace of this horrible movie. A 94 on metacritic?????

I agree with Dan that Up was the best movie of the year. The sequence he referred to is amazing - no dialogue just music. It is one of the best pieces of moviemaking I have ever seen.

bjkeefe 03-10-2010 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thprop (Post 153908)
The worst movie I saw last year was The Hurt Locker.

I just saw it a week or so ago. I can't compare it to any of the other nominees, since I didn't see them, but I thought it was pretty good. I would say I was mildly distracted by the thought that this small crew would be operating in isolation, but not too badly. Overall, I thought it had a number of powerful scenes, and lacked only in that it could have used a bit more of a connective narrative thread.

This diavlog, on the other hand, suffered no flaws. Always happy to hear from these two.

badhatharry 03-10-2010 08:33 PM

Quote:

The worst movie I saw last year was The Hurt Locker. Dan said some of it was unrealistic. That is putting it mildly. This movie did not require suspension of disbelief. It required suspension of brain activity. I saw it in the theater last year and was stunned. I still do not understand critical embrace of this horrible movie. A 94 on metacritic?????

But the director was a woman!

Starwatcher162536 03-10-2010 09:08 PM

So did any girls kiss at this years Oscars?

uncle ebeneezer 03-10-2010 09:30 PM

Re: Eli Lake meet Cole Porter

Modesty with an asterisk*

StillmanThomas 03-10-2010 09:45 PM

Quote:

Dan said some of it was unrealistic.

I completely agree with Dan and Heather's analysis. The Hurt Locker is not about the Iraq War; it is set in the war, but it's about masculinity. Looking back at another work of art, to try to see without our emotional investment in Iraq, has anyone ever heard that Hemingway's novel, For Whom the Bell Tolls was unrealistic? I haven't. I have no idea if the guerrillas would have taken out a bridge the way it was depicted, and it doesn't matter. That book is not about military tactics during the Spanish Civil War; it's about the brotherhood of men. The title was taken from John Donne's Meditation XVII, which includes the immortal line "No man is an island...." You can read his beautiful essay here.

"The Hurt Locker" is, itself, an interesting title. We're invited to believe that it refers to a trunk in which Sergeant James keeps "the things that almost killed me;" that is, bomb detonators and his wedding ring. But to me, James himself is the hurt locker; that is, a man who is unable to form meaningful relationships, who locks away his pain within himself and uses war as his drug of choice to numb out.

If you haven't seen this Science Saturday from late February, I highly recommend it. John Horgan interviews Thomas Hayden, the co-author (with Malcolm Potts) of Sex and War, which describes how men throughout our evolutionary history have been responsible for organizing to kill members of our own species.

And yes, Kathryn Bigelow is a woman, and The Hurt Locker is very much a woman's comment on testosterone. I left the movie shaken and sad, because I felt she was saying that war is inevitable, as long as young men run away from their relationships and toward their deaths.

TwinSwords 03-11-2010 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chamblee54 (Post 153906)
Please cut off the speakers in the background. Someone has gotten several emails during this dialog, and the announcement bell is audible.

LOL! Yeah, that's Heather. If you're using Outlook or Outlook Express on a Windows machine, you might think you're getting email every time one arrives in her Inbox. :-D

ledocs 03-11-2010 04:05 AM

Drezner already had this discussion about theoretical IR in the academy vs. applied IR in the policy world with Joseph Nye . We can have related discussions twice, but this was the same discussion, with the same conclusions. Let's rush to the barricades with placards that say: "Carrots, not sticks, for grad students and younger untenured faculty who publish in applied IR."

This discussion, if held a third time, would be more interesting if it were extended to the relationship between the theoretical and applied in at least one other field, but let's say economics. That probably requires too much specialized knowledge, however. But is there a comparable preference for the theoretical in climate science, for example?

Alternatively, why is IR the way that it is? One reason might be that it becomes indistinguishable from History, once it ceases to be theoretical. And what could have less prestige than History? Anyone can study and write about history. You just read about the past and try to understand it. IR, on the other hand, is theoretical. There are models, diagrams on blackboards, regressions, as Drezner points out.

What are the findings of IR, referred to by Drezner's respected colleague, that have not been adequately promulgated to the policy community by IR itself? If there are such findings, why should only the policy community know about them? To be more specific, I would be more interested in hearing what some of these findings are than in hearing repeated theoretical discussions about the relationship between theory and practice in IR.

One can't say that the Oscars were given short shrift by bhtv. I had no idea they were so important, and I'm something of a film buff. I'm always at least a year behind these days, however.

Florian 03-11-2010 05:24 AM

As an antidote to the pollyanish foreign policy consensus forming in Washington, and the Kagan article.

http://www.worldaffairsjournal.org/a...t-JF-2010.html

Starwatcher162536 03-11-2010 09:03 AM

On why theoretical mathematicians are stupidheads.

Engineer / Applied Scientist : Hi! This math is a little over my head, would it be possible for you to help me out?

Theoretical mathematician 1 : Oh, I'm sorry, but I do not do applied math.

Theoretical mathematician 2 : I can help you out, looks like an interesting problem.

Engineer / Applied Scientist : Awesomesauce! Can you get me the solution in the next few weeks? The marketing guys totally screwed us again, we are going to have a hard time making the next project milestone.

Theoretical mathematician 2: Shouldn't be a problem.

3 weeks later........

Engineer / Applied Scientist : Umm, no pressure, but I could really use that solution.

Theoretical mathematician 2 : Ahh, yes, I remember now. I must have forgotten to e-mail you.

Engineer / Applied Scientist : So you figured it out. Thanks! This really helps.

Theoretical mathematician 2 : Well. I don't know what the solution is, but I can prove one exists!

Engineer / Applied Scientist : ...

badhatharry 03-11-2010 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bokonon (Post 153940)
And yes, Kathryn Bigelow is a woman, and The Hurt Locker is very much a woman's comment on testosterone. I left the movie shaken and sad, because I felt she was saying that war is inevitable, as long as young men run away from their relationships and toward their deaths.

So is she saying that if men didn't run away from their relationships, war wouldn't be inevitable? It must be more complicated than that.

However, I agree that the perceived inevitability is sad. It is good to work towards eliminating the inevitable.

look 03-11-2010 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 153959)
It is good to work towards eliminating the inevitable.

Indeed, a noble goal.

StillmanThomas 03-11-2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhatharry (Post 153959)
So is she saying that if men didn't run away from their relationships, war wouldn't be inevitable? It must be more complicated than that.

I felt she was saying that right after I saw the film. I certainly can't speak for her, and she might even be more hopeful, now that her work has had the affirmation of several Oscars.

During the diavlog I cited, Thomas Hayden makes clear that our biology is not our destiny. In Sex and War, Hayden and Moss argue that the empowerment of women throughout world society is the cure for war. He also points out that, despite the ongoing horrors of war and genocide, there is actually less war right now than at most times in history.

PreppyMcPrepperson 03-11-2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

I agree with Dan that Up was the best movie of the year. The sequence he referred to is amazing - no dialogue just music. It is one of the best pieces of moviemaking I have ever seen.

Me too. I was in kind of a rut when I saw it, and I remember being in such a good mood I burst in to spontaneous fits of laughter for days afterwards.

florencearno 03-11-2010 02:46 PM

Trivial Suggestions to two of my favorite bloggingheaders, especially when they are together: To Dan, check on the pronunciation of "slavish". To Heather,
Rethink your hairdo. I remember from several years ago, on a show taped in the early morning you wore what you called "bedroom hair". I think it captured your personality better than your current style.

bjkeefe 03-11-2010 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by florencearno (Post 153981)
To Dan, check on the pronunciation of "slavish".

Maybe he meant "similar to the people of Eastern Europe."

PreppyMcPrepperson 03-11-2010 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 153982)
Maybe he meant "similar to the people of Eastern Europe."

Funny. He kept saying how old he felt, but this is a great example that he's actually a fairly young academic. He's someone who has spent his career in an era when it's pretty easy to live, work, research, write in isolation, and therefore use lots of words in writing that you rarely have to say aloud.

bjkeefe 03-11-2010 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PreppyMcPrepperson (Post 153983)
Funny. He kept saying how old he felt, but this is a great example that he's actually a fairly young academic. He's someone who has spent his career in an era when it's pretty easy to live, work, research, write in isolation, and therefore use lots of words in writing that you rarely have to say aloud.

I make that sort of mistake a lot, even though I am not an academic. Thank you for letting me know that actually makes me younger than I feel.

;^)

Starwatcher162536 03-11-2010 05:06 PM

What, no one is interested in answering me? This is clearly the most important part.

bjkeefe 03-11-2010 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starwatcher162536 (Post 153996)
What, no one is interested in answering me? This is clearly the most important part.

Clearly, nothing could be more important.

Because, remember:

http://static1.firedoglake.com/29/fi...ates-fangs.jpg

dzman49 03-11-2010 05:53 PM

<Hurt Locker>

It's been 20 years, but I remember "hurt locker" as a slang expression equivalent to "a world of hurt"

JonIrenicus 03-11-2010 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjkeefe (Post 153999)
Clearly, nothing could be more important.

Because, remember:

http://static1.firedoglake.com/29/fi...ates-fangs.jpg

that sign inspires me to link a message from the honored Steve Newlin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkHdgebJHbc

he fights against the darkness seen in this montage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wet5OM7RR8Q

listener 03-14-2010 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle ebeneezer (Post 153939)
Modesty with an asterisk*

Yeah, that was one of my favorite moments from that diavlog -- made me laugh out loud.

Was going to ask you what the Cole Porter reference was about, but then it hit me. Also very funny.

uncle ebeneezer 03-14-2010 03:29 AM

Thanks Listener. Wasn't sure if anyone would catch that one. If you happen to be a jazz fan, check out Brad Mehldau's incredible version on the album of the same name. He alters the arrangement and plays it in 5/4...amazing.

listener 03-14-2010 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle ebeneezer (Post 154280)
Thanks Listener. Wasn't sure if anyone would catch that one. If you happen to be a jazz fan, check out Brad Mehldau's incredible version on the album of the same name. He alters the arrangement and plays it in 5/4...amazing.

Thanks for the tip. I like Brad Mehldau and will look for that recording.