Bloggingheads Community

Bloggingheads Community (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/index.php)
-   General comments on Bloggingheads.tv (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Bob on SOF Live (http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=4907)

SkepticDoc 02-02-2010 01:09 PM

Bob on SOF Live

http://speakingoffaith.publicradio.org/soflive/

bjkeefe 02-02-2010 02:19 PM

Re: Bob on SOF Live

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkepticDoc (Post 149433)

OMG.

graz 02-02-2010 09:46 PM

Bob was illuminating as always. He really is a great extemporaneous speaker.

Demerit for feeling compelled to punch the DFA's (or so-called new atheists) in the neck again. Not once but twice in the 90 minute exchange. I feel cheated that he doesn't spread the criticism around. But I think I'm beginning to understand the impetus. It's probably reflexive. Even though he claims not to be a christian, he's still haunted by the residual image of a sky man watching over him. He knows it's a fantasy... yet he can't shake it. Or so he said.

look 02-03-2010 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 149540)
Bob was illuminating as always. He really is a great extemporaneous speaker.

Demerit for feeling compelled to punch the DFA's (or so-called new atheists) in the neck again. Not once but twice in the 90 minute exchange. I feel cheated that he doesn't spread the criticism around. But I think I'm beginning to understand the impetus. It's probably reflexive. Even though he claims not to be a christian, he's still haunted by the residual image of a sky man watching over him. He knows it's a fantasy... yet he can't shake it. Or so he said.

So you question his veracity? I think it's a common occurrence for those raised in an Abrahamic tradition to long for a return to the assurance of belief, the security of traditions, the coziness of the place of worship and the fellow congregants, and these feelings can be hard to shake from time to time. Why do you doubt Bob?

graz 02-03-2010 10:47 AM

I was simply pointing to the fact that he said it in the talk. He claimed that he used to be an atheist, claims that no longer and responding to the question of what residual aspects of his Baptist upbringing manifest: He said, that he still imagines (not believes), a skyward overseer, that in all likelihood is a moral force that guides his behavior. I get it.

I have no reason to doubt him. Although he may have been pandering to the crowd. The host was inclined to treat him like a believer - which he did his best to fend off - but still.

look 02-04-2010 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 149605)
I was simply pointing to the fact that he said it in the talk. He claimed that he used to be an atheist, claims that no longer and responding to the question of what residual aspects of his Baptist upbringing manifest: He said, that he still imagines (not believes), a skyward overseer, that in all likelihood is a moral force that guides his behavior. I get it.

I have no reason to doubt him. Although he may have been pandering to the crowd. The host was inclined to treat him like a believer - which he did his best to fend off - but still.

Okay, thanks, graz. I've yet to view it, but I watched the first few seconds, when there's only religious-sounding music playing. Can't wait.

Me&theboys 02-04-2010 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkepticDoc (Post 149433)

Can't listen to yet another EOG interview. Does he say anything different in this one than he has already said in every other interview? Any new or refined arguments that are more compelling than those he's already made?

graz 02-04-2010 10:54 AM

No.

uncle ebeneezer 02-04-2010 11:42 AM

How long till Bob starts a psychic hotline?

look 02-04-2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 149728)
No.

Then why did you watch it?

graz 02-04-2010 12:12 PM

I wasn't looking for or in need of the things Me& requires. (Having read all her posts in all the threads regarding Bob's latest).
All of the historical references that Bob offers are interesting and new to me. I never studied the Bible. I'm intrigued by the contortions that believers and atheists alike use to square their rationales with the "good book." Interesting stuff.

look 02-04-2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 149743)
I wasn't looking for or in need of the things Me& requires. (Having read all her posts in all the threads regarding Bob's latest).
All of the historical references that Bob offers are interesting and new to me. I never studied the Bible. I'm intrigued by the contortions that believers and atheists alike use to square their rationales with the "good book." Interesting stuff.

Thank you, dear.

graz 02-04-2010 12:25 PM

Your welcome in this thread... in the other one... were enemies. Complexities abound.

bjkeefe 02-04-2010 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle ebeneezer (Post 149737)
How long till Bob starts a psychic hotline?

LOL!

look 02-04-2010 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 149748)
Your welcome in this thread... in the other one... were enemies. Complexities abound.

May the bluebird of happiness poop in your soup.

graz 02-04-2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 149755)
May the bluebird of happiness poop in your soup.

O.K. whatfur with manners and a sense of humor.

look 02-04-2010 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graz (Post 149756)
O.K. whatfur with manners and a sense of humor.

Graz, you do care!

look 02-04-2010 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by look (Post 149699)
Okay, thanks, graz. I've yet to view it, but I watched the first few seconds, when there's only religious-sounding music playing. Can't wait.

Watched about the first third, so far. Interesting. The interviewer has a charming, engaging manner, and I've never seen Bob more relaxed or eloquent on the subject.

Thanks for the link, SD.