PDA

View Full Version : NPR: Muslim Americans are Overwhelmingly Satisfied With Their Lives

sugarkang
08-30-2011, 09:30 AM
Clearly, this can't be right. The rampant Islamophobia has desensitized Muslims to the point that they can no longer recognize themselves as victims. It must be a Stockholm Syndrome variant. We must save them.

NPR (http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/08/30/140053835/muslim-americans-overwhelmingly-satisfied-with-their-lives-poll-finds?ft=1&f=1001). PEW (http://people-press.org/2011/08/30/muslim-americans-no-signs-of-growth-in-alienation-or-support-for-extremism/?src=prc-headline).

miceelf
08-30-2011, 11:16 AM
Clearly, this can't be right. The rampant Islamophobia has desensitized Muslims to the point that they can no longer recognize themselves as victims. It must be a Stockholm Syndrome variant. We must save them.

NPR (http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/08/30/140053835/muslim-americans-overwhelmingly-satisfied-with-their-lives-poll-finds?ft=1&f=1001). PEW (http://people-press.org/2011/08/30/muslim-americans-no-signs-of-growth-in-alienation-or-support-for-extremism/?src=prc-headline).

Well, if you're going to be skewering hobbyhorses of posters here, you should also note:
And it adds that "there also is no evidence of rising support for Islamic extremism among Muslim Americans."

As well, 55% say that it's more difficult to be a Muslim in America since 9/11.

As, from the pew report:
For Muslims in the United States, concerns about Islamic extremism coexist with the view that life for Muslim Americans in post-9/11 America is difficult in a number of ways. Significant numbers report being looked at with suspicion (28%), and being called offensive names (22%). And while 21% report being singled out by airport security, 13% say they have been singled out by other law enforcement. Overall, a 52% majority says that government anti-terrorism policies single out Muslims in the U.S. for increased surveillance and monitoring.

The fair reading seems to me to be that a substantial number feel discriminated against, but are happy in spite of that fact, whcih isn't quite the same thing as saying that discrimination is non-existent, or not a problem. The number of Muslims who report being discriminated against is much higher than the number who endorse extremism. Which do you think is the bigger problem (discrimination against muslims or muslim extremism) based on this report?

sugarkang
08-30-2011, 11:26 AM
Which do you think is the bigger problem (discrimination against muslims or muslim extremism) based on this report?
If people say they're satisfied with their lives should we go looking for victimhood? Shouldn't we spend our energy disproportionately elsewhere? I say this in the context of how many Islamophobia bhtv episodes we've had. They're like libertarians: CLEARLY OVERREPRESENTED.

miceelf
08-30-2011, 11:43 AM
If people say they're satisfied with their lives should we go looking for victimhood? Shouldn't we spend our energy disproportionately elsewhere? I say this in the context of how many Islamophobia bhtv episodes we've had. They're like libertarians: CLEARLY OVERREPRESENTED.

Well, again. You are focusing on the happiness data and ignoring the reports of discrimination (we wouldn't know about EITHER, unless we asked them). As well, the notion that as long as people say they're happy we should ignore their legitimate complaints strikes me as a good way to simply promote whining. If the only way for people to get their legitimate grievances heard is to say they're also unhappy generally, you're simply encouraging people to wallow in their sorrow as the only way to get their problems solved.

We know that people are generally happy regardless of the amount of wealth they have, as well. But that doesn't make it irriational to want to make more money.

I actually agree with you that there are too many diavlogs about islamophobia (although there haven't been a lot recently). But most of the diavlogs about islamophobia have it as a tengential issue that comes up in the context of discussing (say) the lives of Muslims in America or somesuch. And the fact that discussions of islamophobia and libertarianism may be overrepresented on Bheads doesn't mean that they aren't valid topics. Just taht they're already covered enough.

eeeeeeeli
08-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Seems to me these are clearly two separate issues, whether Muslims feels discriminated against, and whether people are being Islamophobic idiots. I suppose this poll tells us something about the former. But politicians, pundits and internet yahoos tell me plenty about the later.

apple
08-30-2011, 08:19 PM
their legitimate grievances

Like apparently abolishing the FBI, as CAIR called on Muslims not to co-operate with that Fascist Bureau of Islamophobia.

http://www.islamictruth.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CAIR-and-FBI-Poster.jpg

Also, I have not heard even one reason why criticism of or bias against Islam should have its own, brand new word, while no other religion is afforded this privilege. People are not called Catholicophobes, even if they are virulently anti-Catholic. Why is Islam treated differently? Is there an affirmative action program for religions of hatred and violence?

eeeeeeeli
08-30-2011, 11:50 PM
Also, I have not heard even one reason why criticism of or bias against Islam should have its own, brand new word, while no other religion is afforded this privilege. People are not called Catholicophobes, even if they are virulently anti-Catholic. Why is Islam treated differently? Is there an affirmative action program for religions of hatred and violence?
I know, huh? Why are there so many anti-black words, and so few for whites? Same for women. Total double-standard.

Also, are you insane?

miceelf
08-31-2011, 01:22 AM
Like apparently abolishing the FBI, as CAIR called on Muslims not to co-operate with that Fascist Bureau of Islamophobia.

Yes, a poster that appeared briefly on the website of one of their state affiliates, which they quickly took down while publically encouraging muslims to cooperate with law enforcement is exactly representative of what you said.

miceelf
08-31-2011, 10:44 AM
PS. Quick, sugarkang, complain that we have too much discussion of cultural and the arts. I can predict that if you do, we'll have a diavlog about it tomorrow.

;-)

sugarkang
08-31-2011, 10:48 AM
PS. Quick, sugarkang, complain that we have too much discussion of cultural and the arts. I can predict that if you do, we'll have a diavlog about it tomorrow.

;-)

That was really weird, I know.

apple
08-31-2011, 01:44 PM
I know, huh? Why are there so many anti-black words, and so few for whites? Same for women. Total double-standard.

Racism and sexism apply to bias against all races and both sexes respectively. Misogyny is the only word that only applies to some, as is homophobia. Justifiably so, because there is a lot of misogyny and homophobia.

But there is no belief system that is as privileged in this respect as Islam. No other political ideology, no religion, absolutely nothing. Criticism of conservatives is not conservatophobia. Bias against Catholics is not called Catholicophobia.

apple
08-31-2011, 01:45 PM
Yes, a poster that appeared briefly on the website of one of their state affiliates

It just 'appeared'? Now why would that happen?

miceelf
08-31-2011, 01:50 PM
It just 'appeared'? Now why would that happen?

A lot of equally objectionable stuff appears on this website. Should we be seeking indictments of Robert Wright?

Don't the actual public statements of the organization (or, here, Mr. Wright) count for anything?

apple
08-31-2011, 02:09 PM
A lot of equally objectionable stuff appears on this website.

Nothing simply appears on this website, out of nowhere, that "objectionable stuff" is actually posted by someone. Similarly, the poster calling on Muslims not to co-operate with the Fascist Bureau of Islamophobia did not magically appear. Someone put it there.

Of course, this sort of thing should not surprise us about CAIR. After all, CAIR has been an unindicted co-conspirator in terrorism funding cases, and New York Democratic Senator Charles Schumer has stated that it has known ties to terrorists. Naturally, these unindicted co-conspirators with ties to terrorists would not want people to co-operate with authorities, which might lead to the apprehension of terrorists.

Don't the actual public statements of the organization (or, here, Mr. Wright) count for anything?

As long as the public statements are consistent with the public behavior of the organization, then they do. Otherwise, one is forced to conclude that the public statements are attempts to mislead the public.

Sulla the Dictator
09-01-2011, 06:23 AM

Also, are you insane?

Well with this new racist flash mob stuff, maybe we need to think about educating some people about racial sensitivity towards whites. No?