PDA

View Full Version : Debt Ceiling Hypothetical

apple
07-31-2011, 08:24 PM
Suppose that after the 2006 elections, Democrats were so "concerned" about the deficit, that they refused to raise the debt ceiling, unless Bush would agree to a repeal of his tax cuts. Of course, Bush would not agree. So the Democrats refused to raise the debt ceiling, and the country went into default.

Whose fault would that be?

sugarkang
07-31-2011, 08:27 PM
This is more blame game.

apple
07-31-2011, 08:28 PM
This is more blame game.

Not really. I'm just outraged about what these lunatics are doing. Although I agree with the result, this is going to set a very bad precedent. People should not be able to get their way by threatening to wreck the economy.

AemJeff
07-31-2011, 08:42 PM
Suppose that after the 2006 elections, Democrats were so "concerned" about the deficit, that they refused to raise the debt ceiling, unless Bush would agree to a repeal of his tax cuts. Of course, Bush would not agree. So the Democrats refused to raise the debt ceiling, and the country went into default.

Why would anybody believe that any hypothesis as vague, and with as many moving parts, as this would be useful to argue? Democrats assumptions about the deficit are different than Republicans' and the Republicans don't really agree with the extreme right. Where is the Tea Party analog? What would the legislative machinations look like? How would it be reported? There's no "there" here!

apple
08-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Why would anybody believe that any hypothesis as vague, and with as many moving parts, as this would be useful to argue? Democrats assumptions about the deficit are different than Republicans' and the Republicans don't really agree with the extreme right. Where is the Tea Party analog? What would the legislative machinations look like? How would it be reported? There's no "there" here!

You criticize my hypothetical for having too many "moving parts", but then you want to add even more? Interesting. I prefer that it stay simple. If you want a Tea Party analogue, take Daily Kos, Moveon and other "grassroots" liberals.

Sulla the Dictator
08-03-2011, 10:57 PM

You know what the solution to this "problem" is? To not require the debt ceiling to be raised. So lets stop with the LIE of being a mature, grown up people and get RID of the debt ceiling, or lets balance the budget.